Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 9

SEAN has approached SAIFA with a serious interest in Iota Phi Theta fraternity, despite his father's warning.

SAIFA - You're sure about this? I mean, what about what your father has been saying?

SEAN - I have to do this for me. Nobody else.

SAIFA - Choosing a fraternity is a very important step Sean. One not to be taken lightly.

SEAN - I agree.

SAIFA - You think you have done adequate research?

SEAN - I have done more research than most people. Nobody investigates all five frats nowadays. They just look for what looks cool, or what their father or grandfather did. Or who gets the most girls on the yard. Especially here at Ahpla.

SAIFA - And you took a look at all the frats?

SEAN - All of them. A good look.

(SAIFA stares at SEAN. SEAN doesn't turn away.)

SAIFA - Okay Sean. I believe that you are confident in your decision.

SEAN - Yes I am.

SAIFA - And I think you are ready. Are you ready Sean?

SEAN - Yes.

SAIFA - You don't sound like it. Are you ready Sean?

SEAN - Yes!

SAIFA - You sure!

SEAN - Yes I am ready!

SAIFA - Yes I am ready what?

(silence)

(SAIFA smiles.)

SEAN - Uh...yes I am ready big brother!

(SAIFA starts to laugh out loud.)

SEAN - Uh...most honorable big brother?

(SAIFA laughs even harder.)

SEAN - Oh oh...big brother dean of pledgees...I mean, dean of pledgee!

(SAIFA bends over holding his stomach from laughter and falls out of his chair.)

SEAN - What? What am I saying wrong? What is so funny?

SAIFA - Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Sean, stop! Ha ha ha!

SEAN - What?

SAIFA - Sean, just because you have finally expressed your interest in my fraternity does not mean that you are on line! And it doesn't mean that I am all of a sudden a big brother. Ha ha ha!

SEAN - Oh.

SAIFA - I take it you are ready for membership though huh?

SEAN - Well if that display which thoroughly embarrassed me is any indication, then yes.

SAIFA - I hear ya bruh, I hear ya. Dag, that was funny!

(SAIFA starts laughing again.)

SEAN - Okay, so now what?

(SAIFA is still chuckling. He stops and takes a deep breath. Then continues.)

SAIFA - Sean, a lot has to happen. Did you actually think that I would start pledging you right here? Right now?

SEAN - Well I uh...

SAIFA - Nevermind. Like I was saying, a lot has to happen. The first thing to happen is an interest meeting.

SEAN - Interest meeting?

SAIFA - Yeah, an interest meeting. That way, we find out who on the campus is interested in the fraternity. Unless of course you thought you were the only one.

(SEAN detects SAIFA's sarcasm and doesn't answer.)

SAIFA - But in the meantime, you have two jobs to do.

SEAN - I do? What?

SAIFA - First of all, talk around...discreetly, and find out if there are any other guys on the yard who may be interested in my fraternity as well.

SEAN - Okay. And what's the second job?

(SAIFA pauses.)

SAIFA - Keep this from your father. The interest meeting is next Monday. Good luck.

(SEAN looks worried.)

SEAN - Yeah...thanks.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

ALEXIS kicked BOBBY out through her bedroom window when the ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority paid her an unexpected visit. His fraternity brothers, QUINTON and LARRY, see him hanging from her window.

LARRY - Turn around and tell me if I am crazy...or is that some dude hanging from Alexis' bedroom window?

QUINTON - What?

(QUINTON turns around and sees BOBBY hanging and then dropping on top of the dumpster. He then stumbles and falls inside the dumpster.)

QUINTON - What the...

LARRY - Come on!

(QUINTON and LARRY run to the dumpster as BOBBY climbs out.)

QUINTON thinks - There'd better be a good explanation for this!

(QUINTON and LARRY run up and grab BOBBY by the arm. BOBBY's back is to them. They spin him around.)

QUINTON - Hey man! What are you...Bobby?

LARRY thinks - Oh, this is gonna be ugly!

QUINTON - What are you doing?

BOBBY - Trying to brush myself off! I almost broke my neck!

QUINTON - Man, I ain't talkin' about that! I'm talkin' about hanging from that window! What is going on here!

BOBBY - Oh that. Bruh, it was crazy. I was just stopping by Alexis' because I was in the neighborhood...

(QUINTON glances over at LARRY.)

BOBBY - ...and all of a sudden your girl tells me to get up and leave right away. And that I had to leave through the window! I thought it was because you had come over. Guess not.

QUINTON - What were you doing here in the first place?

BOBBY - I just told you, I was in the neighbor...

QUINTON - Stop playing games Bobby! I'm sick of you and your mess!

BOBBY - Excuse me bruh?

(QUINTON puts his finger in BOBBY's face.)

QUINTON - Don't bruh me and don't patronize me! I'm getting tired of you sticking your face where it doesn't belong!

BOBBY - You'd better get your hands out my face! If you feel like pointing at somebody, go upstairs and point at your girl Alexis! Tell her to stop inviting me over if you got a problem with me...stopping by!

QUINTON - Oh so she invited you over?

(BOBBY smiles but backs up.)

QUINTON - Well we'll see about that!

(QUINTON storms off toward the entrance to the building. LARRY is left staring at BOBBY.)

(silence)

BOBBY - What?

ALEXIS - Make yourselves at home. Does anyone care for something to drink?

(PAULA, ANGELIQUE, JENNIFER and ROSALIND make small talk amongst themselves as they sit. They seem to ignore ALEXIS' question. ALEXIS turns to CANDACE.)

ALEXIS - What am I doing wrong? They are acting like I am invisible.

CANDACE - Don't worry, they will warm up to you in time. Come sit down.

(ALEXIS and CANDACE sit down as well.)

CANDACE - So Alexis, what have you been up to lately?

ALEXIS thinks - I wonder if that fool Bobby jumped out the window! I will die if he climbed back into my room!

ALEXIS - Just studying basically. Trying to maintain a solid GPA. Graduate on time and get into grad school.

JENNIFER - Sounds like you have a good plan.

ALEXIS - I try to.

ROSALIND - Candace tells us that you may be interested in our organization.

(ALEXIS takes a deep breath and tries to not look nervous.)

ALEXIS - Yes, yes I am.

ROSALIND - With all that you have on your plate with school and maintaining your grades, how do you think you can fit a demanding sorority life into your schedule?

ALEXIS - I try and make time for the important things in my life. I don't think that I am a one faceted person. I do take school seriously, but I also do with all of the things that I commit myself to.

PAULA - And what types of things have you committed yourself to?

ALEXIS - God, school, my parents, my relationship...

CANDACE - How do your parents feel about you pursuing a sorority?

ALEXIS - Neither went to college so I don't think they know much about it.

ANGELIQUE - You mentioned a relationship. How does your boyfriend feel about you undertaking sorority life?

ALEXIS - Oh he is fully supportive. I couldn't ask for a more supportive man. He actually is an Alpha and he just pledged last year. So he knows the rigorous schedule and demands of Greek life.

ANGELIQUE - Oh that is good. Surprisingly, many men trip out on their girlfriends when they try to pledge something. I was hoping he wasn't that type.

ALEXIS - Naw, not at all. Quinton is great! He is real cool and...

(There is a banging on the door. Rather loud.)

ANGELIQUE - Wow, someone really wants to get in huh? Break the door down why don't you?

ALEXIS - Uh...excuse me while I answer this. Be right back.

ALEXIS thinks - What in the world! This is so embarrassing!

(ALEXIS opens the door as there is more banging.)

QUINTON - Alexis! I want to know right now why you continue to torment me with this Bobby situation!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

APRIL and PJ have come to their room together after the AKA meeting.

APRIL - I'm mad tired. What are you about to do?

PJ - I'm actually running out.

APRIL - Oh you're gonna be gone?

PJ - Yeah, you get a quiet night at home alone tonight.

APRIL thinks - Good! Now I don't have to sneak out! I can just leave!

APRIL - Yeah, I will use the quiet time too!

(APRIL yawns.)

APRIL - I can barely keep my eyes open.

PJ - Aight girl, well let me get out of your way. Don't wait up for me.

APRIL - Be safe, see ya later.

(PJ walks out and closes the door. APRIL waits 10 seconds.)

APRIL thinks - Good!

(APRIL throws off her coat and pulls off her sweater.)

APRIL thinks - I can't believe I am doing this!

(She pauses to look in the mirror. She is now only wearing a pair of pants and a bra.)

APRIL thinks - I am too sexy! Hee hee!

(She goes to her top drawer and finds the sexiest lingerie she has. She throws it on the bed and pulls out her small bottle of perfume.)

APRIL thinks - Xavier is not gonna know what hit him!

(She sprays a little perfume on her lingerie and starts to take her pants off.)

APRIL thinks - I am wrong for even doing this but hey, he started it! I am surprised he even went there with me in conversation. Who would imagine, Xavier the goody-two-shoes!? But hey, he is human and he is a man.

(APRIL goes into the bathroom and turns the shower on. She comes out and holds the lingerie in front of her body in front of the mirror.)

APRIL thinks - Oh this is gonna be so funny! I just can't wait to see the look on Xavier's face when he opens the door!

(XAVIER opens the door with a crazy look on his face.)

XAVIER - What took you so long!

(silence)

XAVIER - Well!

MIKE - I...uh...I...

XAVIER - And who told you to put on a red cap and black pants and a...you look like a pledgee! What is the matter with you!

MIKE - But you told me to...

XAVIER - Get in here!

(XAVIER grabs MIKE by his collar and swings him into the room. It is dark inside the room and there are candles lit. XAVIER slams the door.)

XAVIER - Do you realize that people may have seen you outside in this get-up!? You are coming up in my building to my room where people can see you! All up in the lobby! All up in the elevator! What is wrong with you! Do you know that we can get suspended for stuff like this! Did you know that? Huh?

MIKE - I...uh...I'm sor...

XAVIER - Oh you're sorry huh? You're sorry now huh? Well how sorry would you feel if we get suspended? How sorry would you feel if we get kicked off campus?

MIKE - I...I...would...

XAVIER - I think I am sorry already for thinking you are strong enough to go through line! You're not ready! You're not ready for Kappa Alpha Psi!

MIKE - I am strong! I can do it!

XAVIER - Strength comes in many forms, Mike and intelligence and savvy are two of them! You have neither! I don't care how physically strong you are! If you can't think on your toes, your muscles mean nothing!

MIKE thinks - I am really messing up!

XAVIER - Take this stupid hat off! Come here! Look at that candle on the table and tell that candle how strong you think you are!

MIKE - Huh?

XAVIER - I thought you said you were strong! Strong men do things that they don't always understand! Just do it!

(MIKE throws off his hat and approaches the table where there is one red candle burning. He begins to speak directly to the candle. XAVIER has to hold in his laughter. GREGG has been listening from the other room and has been laughing the entire time.)

MIKE - I am strong because...

(APRIL looks in the mirror at herself in the lingerie.)

APRIL - Girlfriend, you are drop dead gorgeous! Hee hee hee!

(APRIL hears a key in the door.)

APRIL thinks - Oh shoot! I thought PJ said she wasn't coming back home until later!

(The door opens and KATRICE comes in.)

KATRICE - Hey April, I just borrowed PJ's keys to...to...my my my!

No comments: