Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 11

SCENE 1

MIRI has been left alone with Crescent CALVIN in the garage behind the Phi Beta Sigma frat house. They take off their blindfolds at the same time and realize that they are standing in front of each other.

CALVIN - Oh God, not you.

(MIRI looks around for big brother JEFF but realizes that he is alone with CALVIN.)

MIRI - What happened? Where did big brother Jeff go?
CALVIN - Who?
MIRI thinks - Oh, I see what he did!
MIRI - Nevermind. Look man, I need to talk to you.
CALVIN - I ain't got nothin' to say to you.

(CALVIN tries to leave.)

MIRI - No, wait man, please hear me out.

(CALVIN stops.)

MIRI - Look, I want to apologize for what I said earlier.
CALVIN - Yeah right. You only want to apologize because you got kicked off
line. But if you had your way, I wouldn't even be here.
MIRI - No, honestly, I am sorry. What I am saying is this, you can't fault me
for the way that I felt. I just didn't know about non-Black members of the
frat.
CALVIN - How could you not know? Didn't you do any research? Didn't you read
any history? How did you make line?
MIRI - I did read. I studied this more than I do my schoolwork. But we don't
have a chapter for the Sigmas at Ahpla and I don't know any Sigmas. I didn't
grow up watching brothers or have any as my mentors or role models. I just met
Hayden and Brandon and my interest peaked. I never met a White frat member
before. But I feel a little more educated now and I want us to start over.
Over as friends...and hopefully over as line brothers.

(CALVIN pauses and stares back at MIRI.)

CALVIN - Man...I don't know. I have wanted to be a Sigma for so long, just
the mention of me being someone's line brother gives me chills.
MIRI - Then you can imagine how bad I want to get back on line.
CALVIN - Yeah, I actually can imagine.
MIRI - Then you have to help me. Please Calvin ... brother.

(Meanwhile inside the frat house.)

CURT - What? That Mona chick is suspect?
SALEEMA - Frat, suspect is putting it very, very nicely. But don't take my
word for it, hold on.

(SALEEMA walks over to her bag and pulls out her cell phone. She dials.)

SYLVIA - Hello.
SALEEMA - As salaam walaikum.
SYLVIA - Walaikum salaam. Wassup girl?
SALEEMA - Hey, question for you.
SYLVIA - Answer for you.
SALEEMA - That Mona girl, is she...
SYLVIA - Oh don't remind me!
SALEEMA - Ha ha ha ha.
SYLVIA - Is she what?
SALEEMA - Legit? I am here with some of my frat and she told them something
about one of their boys. I was telling them that I don't think she is legit
and I wouldn't believe a thing she said.
SYLVIA - Put your frat on the phone.
SALEEMA - Okay hold on. Curt, this is my friend Sylvia. She is an AKA from
Ahpla.

(SALEEMA hands the phone to CURT.)

CURT - Hi Sylvia. This is Curt.
SYLVIA - Hi Curt.
CURT - Yeah, we spoke to Mona and she gave us some damaging info on one of
our guys and...
SYLVIA - Say no more! That girl has damaging information on me, my chapter,
you, Bin Laden, everybody ... she is bad news, Curt. I seriously wouldn't
believe a thing she ever says. Last I heard, she got kicked out of the
university, and I hope that is true.
CURT - Really?
SYLVIA - Yes. She is really a trip.
CURT - Wow.
SYLVIA - I would bet my life on whatever she told y'all being shady.
CURT - Well thanks a lot Sylvia. That's all I need to hear.
SYLVIA - If it has to do with bustin' up Mona, no problem. Just give me the
time and the place.
CURT - Ha ha ha, well thanks again.

(CURT hands the phone back to SALEEMA and turns to HAYDEN.)

CURT - Hayden, we may have made a mistake.
HAYDEN - Yeah, I see. But we can make this work in our favor. I have an idea.
CURT - Oh yeah? What you got in mind?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

JASON is chillin' at WILLIE's house. He is connecting her new DVD player to
her television.


JASON - I still can't believe you got a DVD player for Christmas. Doesn't your dad realize you are a college student? Good grief!
WILLIE - Daddy loves me.
JASON - My father loves me too but he ain't buyin' me no DVD. I would never study.
WILLIE - That's the difference between me and you baby. You get distracted easier than I do.
JASON - Yeah right! Shut up.
WILLIE - It's true and you know it.
JASON - Whatever!

(JASON turns back to connecting the DVD player. WILLIE pulls off her shirt
and approaches JASON from behind.)

WILLIE - Are you saying that you don't get distracted Mr. Fixit?
JASON - Nope.

(JASON still hasn't turned around. WILLIE grabs his arm.)

WILLIE - You sure about that?

(JASON turns around and sees that WILLIE has taken her shirt off and is in her bra.)

JASON - Your shirt fell off hon. Might want to put that back on, it's kinda chilly tonight.

(He turns back to the DVD player and the television.)

WILLIE - Shut up boy! You so stupid! Ha ha ha ha!

(WILLIE jumps on JASON who is now laughing and they begin to wrestle as
WILLIE tickles him.)

JASON - Ha ha ha,uh...excuse me Miss...I'm trying to work here.
WILLIE - Oh yeah? Work with this.

(WILLIE starts to kiss JASON.)

JASON thinks - Oh it is on!

(He puts the wires and the instruction manual down.)

JASON thinks - Oh it is so on!

(The phone rings and WILLIE stops kissing JASON.)

JASON thinks - Oh, it is off.
JASON - You have to answer that?
WILLIE - Uh yeah, I am waiting for a very important call.
JASON - But I am already here.

(WILLIE laughs.)

WILLIE - How can I break this to you sweetie...you ain't the only important
person that calls here! Ha ha ha ha, I am waiting for Robin to call me silly.

(WILLIE answers the phone.)

WILLIE - Hello?
ROBIN - Hey, it's me.
WILLIE - Wassup girl.
ROBIN - Nothin' much. Can you come through?
WILLIE - Your place? Tonight?
ROBIN - Immediately. Like right now.
WILLIE - Okay but what's...
ROBIN - Good, see you in a few. Hurry up.

(ROBIN hangs up.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag, what was all that about?
WILLIE - Hey, gotta run over to Robin's for a second.
JASON - Oh cool, she lives down the hall from Larry. I'll go with you.
WILLIE - Okay.

(JASON gets both their coats and they walk over to ROBIN's.)

WILLIE - What are y'all gonna do for your frat brother Dr. King? Are y'all
gonna have a tribute or something?
JASON - We have a program that we are doing. Got a keynote speaker, a few musicians and singers, and a dance troupe from Africa. This should be our best one ever.
WILLIE - Sounds good.

(They reach the Ivy Tower where both ROBIN and LARRY live.)

JASON - I'm gonna say hello to Robin. I haven't seen her in a minute.
WILLIE - Cool.

(They get to ROBIN's door and knock.)

ROBIN - Come on in Willie, it's open.

(WILLIE peeks her head in.)

WILLIE - Are you dressed? I have Jason with me.
ROBIN - Oh wait...

(ROBIN comes to the door.)

ROBIN - Hey Jason. I need some time alone with Willie. DST business.
JASON - That's cool, I just wanted to say hi to ya. I'm gonna go see Larry.
Talk to y'all lata.
WILLIE - Okay babe. I'll call your cell phone when I am done.
JASON - Cool.

(JASON walks away and WILLIE turns to ROBIN.)

WILLIE - So what's the deal Robin? What's the official business?
ROBIN - I have the girl here that Breanna was telling us about. The one that wants to be a Delta. We are talking about her interest in the
sorority right now.
WILLIE - Really? You have her here?
ROBIN - Yep.
WILLIE - What's her name?
ROBIN - Come on in and see for yourself.


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 3

QUINTON has barged in on ALEXIS to question her about BOBBY, not knowing that she has guests.

QUINTON - Alexis! I want to know right now why you continue to torment me with this Bobby situation!
ALEXIS - What?

(ALEXIS turns her back and notices that all the women in her room are staring
at her.)

ALEXIS whispers - Quinton not now!

(QUINTON peeks into the room.)

QUINTON thinks - Oh no!
QUINTON - Oh...I didn't know you...uh...had
CANDACE - Uh Alexis, we'll come back later. Seems like you have some issues you may need to tend to.
PAULA - Yeah, next time we'll let you know we're coming. We'll send you an official notice.
ALEXIS thinks - No!
ALEXIS - No...wait, you really don't have to leave...

(The ladies all get up and begin to walk toward the door.)

ALEXIS - ...you really don't have to leave...
ROSALIND - We'll be in touch. Handle your business Alexis.

(They all walk past CANDACE and QUINTON.)

CANDACE - See ya later Quinton.
QUINTON - Uh...bye.
CANDACE - Alexis, I'll call you.

(ALEXIS is fighting back tears.)

ALEXIS - Okay Candace.

(CANDACE gives ALEXIS a look of disappointment as she turns down the hall. ALEXIS slowly closes the door and turns to QUINTON.)

ALEXIS - What is the matter with you!
QUINTON - What is the matter with me? What is the matter with you! I come over here and I see Bobby hanging from your window, and then I come upstairs and see a bunch of SGRhos in your room! You never even spoke to me about pledging!

PJ - I need to speak to you about you pledging.
JAHANNA thinks - Oh shoot!
JAHANNA - Sure PJ...come on in.

(JAHANNA lets PJ in. Her heart starts pounding.)

JAHANNA - How have you been?
PJ - I'm alright thanks. How are you girl?
JAHANNA - Nervous and scared. And the look on your face is not helping. You look like you are here to give me bad news.

(PJ sits down. JAHANNA sits on her bed.)

PJ - Me and you have been friends for a while and I know we have spoken about your wanting to be an AKA.
JAHANNA - Yes.
PJ - Well the thing is...
JAHANNA - PJ, please don't give me bad news. Please. I want to be an AKA so bad ... I know I shouldn't have done what I did. I am sorry. I am sorry for beating up Mona. But...
PJ - It isn't that you beat up Mona, Jahanna, because I want to do that. All of us want to beat up Mona.
JAHANNA - So why am I being penalized for it?

(JAHANNA starts to get emotional.)

(silence)

PJ - Jahanna, I really can't go into the issues that come up in an official AKA meeting. I really can't...

(JAHANNA drops her head.)

PJ - Jahanna...

(JAHANNA keeps her head down and tears begin to fall.)

PJ - Jahanna, you are my friend. Before sorority business, you are my
Friend ... and that is why I am here.

(PJ gets emotional now as JAHANNA begins to cry.)

JAHANNA crying - Can't you get them to reconsider?

(silence)

PJ - I'm sorry. I really did all I could. I fought and fought ... but the vote of the chapter is final. You're gonna have to wait this semester out and try again next year.

No comments: