Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 3

BRENDON, MIKE and TY are discussing their quests for fraternity life when SEAN walks into the lounge. They have called him over.

(BRENDON stands up and motions to SEAN.)

BRENDON - Hey Sean, come on over, bruh. Let me holla at you for a second.
MIKE - Brendon! What you do that for man?
BRENDON - I'm trying to find out where this dude's head is. Just let me do all the talking.
MIKE - That is how I always get in trouble! By letting you do all the talking!
BRENDON - Shhh, here he comes.

(SEAN comes over.)

SEAN - Hey guys, what's up?
BRENDON - What's up man? Have a seat.

(SEAN puts his bag down and sits down.)

BRENDON - How you been man?
SEAN - Holding it down. Just trying to do my thing.
BRENDON - Cool, cool. And what thing would that be?
SEAN - You know, studying, trying to get a little social life in. You know how it is, ha ha.

(Everyone laughs except BRENDON.)

BRENDON - Yeah, I know how it is. So let me ask you this. When it comes to studying, don't you find it a little difficult to do all of your schoolwork as well as learn the histories of the fraternities that you have to learn?

(SEAN looks at BRENDON confused.)

SEAN - I don't know what you mean.
MIKE thinks - Oh God, here it comes!
BRENDON - Well, when you try to be a member of a fraternity, you have to learn the history of the fraternity, as well as the history of the chapter at the campus that you are at. Not only that, you need to have a good knowledge of the brothers in the chapter, and that can be a lot. Especially if you are learning more than one frat because you plan to pledge two or three...like yourself.
SEAN - Two or three?
BRENDON - Yeah, two or three.
SEAN - Brendon, what the heck are you talking about?
BRENDON - Don't play dumb with me Sean. I know you told my brother that you want to be a Sigma after you had already expressed an interest in Kappa to me.
SEAN - So.
BRENDON - So?

(BRENDON looks in amazement at MIKE and TY. Then back at SEAN.)

BRENDON - So?
SEAN - Yeah, so what.
BRENDON - You can't pledge two organizations, Sean. I know you must have learned that at some point. Work with me here. You can't even be wishy washy. You won't accomplish anything but piss a whole lot of people off.
SEAN - First of all, who said anything about me pledging two organizations? When I expressed an interest to you about Kappa Alpha Psi, it was just that. An interest. I was interested, I met with you and some brothers, and I lost my interest. Same with Phi Beta Sigma. I looked into it, didn't feel that what I saw was the best decision for me, so I passed. I think that is the intelligent way to go about this. To make one hundred percent sure that the organization that you choose is the best for you, because this is something that you are a part of for life.
TY - You got that right.
SEAN - And it is not something that should be entered into with any second thoughts or regrets. So don't talk to me about playing dumb. You are the dumb one if you are pursuing Kappa for the wrong reasons.
BRENDON - I know why I am pursuing Kappa! And it is for the right reasons! Don't worry about me!
SEAN - And you don't worry about me!

(SEAN stands up and grabs his bag.)

SEAN - We'll see who will be wearing the right letters when we all come out on the yard!

(SEAN turns and walks away.)

SEAN thinks - The nerve of that guy!

(SEAN reaches in his bag and pulls out his cell phone. He dials.)

SAIFA - Yo Sean, what's up?
SEAN - Man, are you busy? I need to talk to you.
SAIFA - Okay, well call me at my crib. I am just getting home now. Just give me five minutes to get inside.
SEAN - Okay, I'll call you back.

(They hang up. SEAN waits, then dials.)

MR. JACKSON - Hello.
SEAN - Hey dad.
MR. JACKSON - Hey Sean! How you doing, you're not calling for money, are you son? Ha ha ha ha ha!

(SEAN laughs.)

SEAN - No dad!
MR. JACKSON - Everything is okay?
SEAN - Yeah, everything is fine. How is mom?
MR. JACKSON - Wonderful. She is wonderful. So what warrants this call? I know you didn't just call to check up on us old folk.

(SEAN laughs.)

SEAN - Actually, I was calling you to talk to you about fraternities. I think I have made my decision as to what I want to pursue.
MR. JACKSON - Good, because I've made my decision as well.
SEAN - You have made your decision as well? You are already in a fraternity.
MR. JACKSON - I'm not talking about a decision for myself Sean. I am talking about a decision for you.

(silence)

SEAN - A decision for me? You have made a decision for me?
MR. JACKSON - You bet I did. Either you pledge Alpha or I will bring a hazing lawsuit against the fraternity that you choose to pledge.


:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 2

GREGG has stopped by SHAREESA's new job at Woolfolk-Taylor Enterprises.

RECEPTIONIST - Hello sir, may I help you?
GREGG - Yes, I am here to see Shareesa.
RECEPTIONIST - Hold just a second.

(She looks on her list of employees.)

RECEPTIONIST - I don't seem to have her on my...
GREGG - Oh she is new here. She just started.
RECEPTIONIST - Oh okay, she must be in the training class. Hold on, let me call.

(She dials and speaks to someone. She then turns back to GREGG.)

RECEPTIONIST - She will be right out. You can have a seat.
GREGG - Thanks.
RECEPTIONIST - Those flowers are very pretty. Seems like she is a lucky lady.
GREGG - Thanks, I want to congratulate her on this new position.

(She smiles as GREGG has a seat and waits for SHAREESA.)

GREGG thinks - This is a nice place.

(SHAREESA turns the corner.)

SHAREESA - Gregg, what are you doing here?
GREGG - Hey Reece. I wanted to come by and congratulate you on the new job and take you to lunch. These are for you.

(SHAREESA pouts.)

SHAREESA - Gregg that is so sweet! These are beautiful. Come here; let me show you my area.

(GREGG follows SHAREESA past the receptionist and walk down a long hall. She stops at the second door and opens it.)

SHAREESA - Here we are.
GREGG - Wow, you got your own room?
SHAREESA - Uh yeah.
GREGG - Oooh, my bad Miss Thang.
SHAREESA - They take marketing seriously here. So my title is big. I just hope I live up to their expectations.

(GREGG hugs SHAREESA from behind.)

GREGG - You will do fine. I am just trying to figure out if this desk can fit us both on top of it.

(SHAREESA whispers and wiggles away.)

SHAREESA - Get off me! You gonna get me fired in my first week! Stop playin'.
GREGG - Ha ha ha ha, I'm just kidding. You ready?
SHAREESA - Yeah, let me grab my coat and purse.
GREGG - Well you won't need your coat. It's kind of hot outside.
SHAREESA - Oh, okay.
GREGG - And you won't need your purse either. Lunch is on me.
SHAREESA - What?
GREGG - My treat for my lady.
SHAREESA - Hey, I just got the phat job with the phat signing bonus. My treat.
GREGG - You sure?
SHAREESA - Sorry to disappoint you Tarzan, but Shareesa is independent and can take care of herself...and a man.
GREGG - Can't argue that.
SHAREESA - Let's go.

(They walk out and head toward the elevator.)

GREGG - So where you taking me, Miss Exec?
SHAREESA - They got a mall across the street with a real nice food court. My co-worker and me went by there yesterday.
GREGG - Sounds good. They probably have a good variety then?
SHAREESA - Yep.

(They arrive at the food court.)

SHAREESA - I'm gonna get Chinese.
GREGG - You're reading my mind. That is what I want too.
SHAREESA - Cool.

(They get Chinese and find a table for two.)

SHAREESA - So what was the e-mail that you sent me about? Some thing for this Friday night?
GREGG - Oh yeah, a lot of people are talking about going to Pharaoh's. They are starting to do a First Friday's kind of thing over there. Are you trying to go?
SHAREESA - That sounds cool. Sounds like fun.
GREGG - But you know, I was thinking. Why don't we hook up with Xavier and April before we head out on Friday?
SHAREESA - Xavier and who?
GREGG - Xavier and April, I think they got a thing for each other.

(silence)

GREGG - What?
SHAREESA - I don't think that is a good idea.
GREGG - Why not?
SHAREESA - I just don't think it is.
GREGG - Why not? It would be fun. I was thinking about double dating with Xavier more often because he never goes out. I was hoping that things would work out between him and Donna but for some reason, he stopped seeing her. So when I got an inclination that he liked April, I thought we should start inviting him out with us. I think it would be fun.
SHAREESA - Well I think it would be stupid and I won't play a part in it.
GREGG - Reece, what is wrong with you? Why is it such a bad idea to double date with Xavier?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BOBBY is in his room using his computer.

BOBBY thinks - This is the most boring assignment. I can barely stay awake.

(BOBBY saves his work. He gets up and walks into the kitchen.)

BOBBY thinks - What do I have to drink in here?

(BOBBY opens the fridge and grabs a 2-liter of Mountain Dew. He drinks straight from the bottle.)

BOBBY - I hate writing assignments!

(He walks back into his room.)

BOBBY thinks - I can't concentrate; I am going to fall asleep. I need something to keep me awake.

(BOBBY grabs his photo album off the shelf.)

BOBBY sings - Memories...like the corners of my mind...ha ha ha ha.

(As he opens the album, the first picture is of himself, Reggie and Nino.)

BOBBY - Oh God, maybe this is the last thing I need to look at. Wrong photo album.

(BOBBY closes the album and puts it back. He opens his top drawer and grabs a stack of pictures in the back of the drawer.)

BOBBY thinks - I think I want to see these instead.

(The first picture is a picture of him and Alexis.)

BOBBY thinks - Man! We did look good together!

(BOBBY starts to go through all of the pictures. They are all either of himself and Alexis or Alexis alone.)

BOBBY - Oooh, I remember this night.

(The picture is of him and Alexis at a restaurant.)

BOBBY thinks - This was her birthday.

(He looks at the next picture. It is a picture of Alexis in her underwear posing on the couch. BOBBY stares at it.)

BOBBY thinks - I forgot I had this! How could I have forgotten this picture!

(After staring at the picture for a minute, BOBBY puts it on his desk and grabs his phone.)

ALEXIS - Hello?
BOBBY - Hey, it's Bobby.

(silence)

ALEXIS - Hi Bobby.
BOBBY - How you doing?
ALEXIS - I'm cool. What's up?
BOBBY - Nothing much. What you doing?

(silence)

ALEXIS - Bobby, what do you want?
BOBBY - Huh? What's the matter?
ALEXIS - What's the matter? Bobby, since when do you just call?
BOBBY - That's exactly what I was thinking. So I thought I would change that. That is why I am calling. We can still be friends can't we?

(silence)

BOBBY - Well can't we?
ALEXIS - No we can't Bobby.
BOBBY - Huh? Why not?
ALEXIS - Come on Bobby, cut the crap. What do you want?
BOBBY - I'm serious. There is no reason we can't be friends. Look Lexie, we had our thing. But you moved on, you have a great guy now, I moved on, and we can both be mature about it. Ya know?

(BOBBY picks up the picture of Alexis in her underwear and spins it around with his fingers.)

BOBBY - I'm serious. I ain't trying no funny business. For real.
ALEXIS - Bobby I never can trust you.
BOBBY - I've changed. Let's try and be friends. You can even tell Quinton that I called.
ALEXIS - Uh...okay.
BOBBY - Seriously. Let's try it.

(ALEXIS hesitates.)

BOBBY - Come on.
ALEXIS - Okay Bobby. So...what are you up to?
BOBBY - Writing this assignment but you know I hate to write. So I was falling asleep.
ALEXIS - So you haven't changed huh? Still hate to write.
BOBBY - Ha ha ha ha, yeah. That part about me hasn't changed.
ALEXIS - Remember that time you asked me to help you with that one paper...
BOBBY - Yeah and you did the whole thing for me! That was funny.
ALEXIS - No it wasn't. I stayed up half the night writing it and you fell asleep.
BOBBY - Ha ha ha ha, my bad.
ALEXIS - Uh huh. Hee hee.
BOBBY - I have always felt bad about that. I'll make it up to you one day.
ALEXIS - I ain't holding my breath.
BOBBY - Ha ha, no, serious. I'll make it up. I tell you what...

(BOBBY smiles as he looks at Alexis in her underwear over his head to get better light on the picture.)

BOBBY - ...is Quinton there now?
ALEXIS - Actually no, he isn't.
BOBBY - Okay, let me stop by for a quick second. I'll bring you your favorite.
ALEXIS - My favorite?
BOBBY - Cheesecake.
ALEXIS - Ooooh!
BOBBY - I can stop by the "twenty four seven" on the way over and pick up a slice. Then we will be even.
ALEXIS thinks - Say no! Say no!
BOBBY - So what do you think? It'll only be a minute; I'll stop by and drop it off. Want me to come by?

No comments: