Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 68

BOBBY and CARYN are at the Ahpla University Hospital. They brought the baby in because he wasn't breathing and are now about to meet with a social worker.

BOBBY - Caryn, they're gonna have a social worker talk to you like you're an unfit parent.

CARYN - They are?

BOBBY - What do you think social workers are for?

CARYN - I take care of Lil' Derrick. I love my baby!

(silence)

BOBBY - Maybe the baby should stay with me for a while.

CARYN - What!

BOBBY - I just think that...

CARYN - Since when did you become Mr. Responsibility?

BOBBY - I just been thinking lately and a lot is changing in my life right now. A lot is changing. And I want to...

CARYN - Bobby, if you think you're gonna...

MR. DESRA - Hello Caryn? Bobby? My name is Donald Desra and I have been assigned to your case. If you would follow me we can have a seat and go over a few things.

(CARYN looks at BOBBY and the two of them stand up and follow the social worker.)

MR. DESRA - Are you guys okay? I know you must have had a terrible scare.

CARYN - Yes. My baby is fine. I'm okay now.

MR. DESRA - Good.

(He leads them into an office where there is a desk and two chairs.)

MR. DESRA - Have a seat.

(They sit down as he sits behind the desk.)

DR. DESRA - I haven't had time to go through your entire file, but can you tell me why the baby was brought in?

(CARYN looks at BOBBY worried.)

BOBBY - Um...the baby put something in his mouth. You know how babies are. Ha ha, um...yeah. So, it got stuck.

DR. DESRA - I see. Listen, you don't have to be nervous. Please, be yourself. I'm only here to help.

BOBBY - Yes, sir.

DR. DESRA - Was the baby left alone? How did he put something in his mouth?

(BOBBY looks at CARYN.)

CARYN - Well, um...she was with the babysitter.

DR. DESRA - I see.

(DR. DESRA writes something down.)

DR. DESRA - Let me ask you this. A few minutes ago I asked you how you guys were feeling and Caryn you answered by saying you are okay because your baby is okay. Why did you say your baby and not our baby?

CARYN - Because Lil' Derrick is my world. He really is. I love my baby.

DR. DESRA - I'm sure he is. But isn't he equally Bobby's baby as well?

CARYN - I take care of Lil' Derrick. Me alone.

BOBBY - That's not true.

CARYN - What!

DR. DESRA - Hold on, hold on. Calm down. Just answer my questions, please.

(CARYN quiets down but looks very mad.)

BOBBY - Let me say this, sir. I haven't been there as much as I should. I can be a man and admit that.

CARYN - Be a man? You couldn't be a man if someone paid you to be one!

DR. DESRA - Caryn, please. I'll offer you a chance to respond.

CARYN - Fine!

DR. DESRA - Bobby, continue.

BOBBY - I know I haven't been around the way that I should. But I've grown up a lot this year -- a whole lot. And I'm ready to play a much larger role in Derrick's life. I don't think Caryn is fit to...

CARYN - What!

(CARYN jumps out of her chair.)

CARYN - Oh, don't even go there!

DR. DESRA - Please Caryn, don't...

CARYN - No, hold up! I ain't gonna let him act like I'm an unfit mother! I raise that baby boy by myself! Don't nobody help me with that! Don't nobody stay up with me at night when he's crying! Don't nobody change him and buy him diapers!

BOBBY - You don't change him, either! You're always out partyin' somewhere! You're still cheering and I told you to stop that so you can spend more time at home!

CARYN - So, my life is supposed to stop!

BOBBY - No, but you need to act like you have a baby!

CARYN - So do you!

BOBBY - I will now when I take Lil' Derrick and show him how to be a man!

CARYN - How can you? You ain't one!

DR. DESRA - Bobby! Caryn! Please!

(They stop. CARYN is still standing with her hands on her hips.)

DR. DESRA - This is getting us nowhere. Caryn, please sit back down.

CARYN - I'm not a bad mother! I love my baby and nobody is gonna take my baby away from me!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

SEAN is meeting with the brothers of the graduate chapter of Iota Phi Theta. He is meeting their pledgee for the first time.

BROTHER HILL - Sean, you are looking rather strange right now. Are you okay?

SEAN - Uh...um...yes...sir.

BROTHER HILL - Do you know our pledgee or something?

(silence)

SEAN - That's the thing sir. I do know him.

BROTHER HILL - You do?

SEAN - Yes. I took Dr. Mwatsumi's class last semester. That is where I know him from.

BROTHER HILL - Excellent. Then you guys will be able to work together for the brotherhood from right on campus. That's good.

RAY thinks - I thought that fool was gonna spill his guts!

(SAIFA looks at SAM and smiles with relief.)

BROTHER HILL - There are a few questions that we need to ask you both. The first few questions will be directed to you from me. The brotherhood then will have the opportunity to question you at random. Firstly, why do you both want to become members of Iota Phi Theta. Sean, first.

SEAN - Sir, when I read the history of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., I was not only impressed, but intrigued. I have a vast knowledge of the fraternity system already. Both my father and grandfather are fraternity members.

BROTHER HILL - They are Iota brothers?

SEAN - Oh, no sir. They are both members of Alpha Phi Alpha, Fraternity, Inc.

BROTHER HILL - Oh, okay. Continue.

SEAN - So upon coming to Ahpla University, I thought I wanted to be an Alpha as well. Or my dad thought so, at least. When in actuality, I started to pursue Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. That's what I thought I wanted to be. Realizing that it wasn't what I wanted either, I did look at each organization on campus. And I realized that the traditions that they upheld don't really coincide with me, and what I am doing right now for my life and for myself.

BROTHER HILL - Which is?

SEAN - Blaze a new trail. In my own personal life, Alpha is all I have ever known. I grew up going to the Alpha conventions and watching my father as a very active member in his fraternity. But I want to blaze a new trail and do my own thing; something that better suits me and my personality. I want to be an Iota man.

BROTHER HILL - Okay. And you, Dr. Mwatsumi.

DR. MWATSUMI - I started to research Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., based on the recommendation of a mentee of mine. Young brother Saifa had spoken of the fraternity a few times and led the type of lifestyle that impressed me. For him to be so young and so dedicated to the cause of brotherhood is more than impressive. When I researched further and met more brothers of Iota, I found that to be the common thread amongst the members. The fraternity is a great bond of serious-minded men. Men I can relate to and work with. I look forward to that opportunity.

BROTHER HILL - Very good. Can you tell us a goal that you have for our fraternity that we don't already service now?

SEAN - Yes. I plan to make Iota a forerunner on the campus of Ahpla University. The presence of Iota is not well known, nor strong yet. But wait until they get a load of me!

(Everyone chuckles but SEAN doesn't smile.)

BROTHER HILL - Doctor?

DR. MWATSUMI - In my position with the university, I will be able to secure many things for the chapter. I have access to funding, programming, community outreach, as well as the president of the university. There are lots of ways I can help the fraternity make a smooth transition to campus, and then further the mighty work of Iota from inside the administration.

BROTHER HILL - Very good. Are there any questions from the brotherhood?

(SAIFA raises his hand.)

BROTHER HILL - Go ahead, brother.

SAIFA - Can each of you tell us in one sentence what your goal in life is? It may not have anything to do with Iota. But to get a better sense of who you are and what is your one main goal in life. Doctor, you first.

DR. MWATSUMI - To help someone less fortunate than me.

SAIFA - And Sean?

SEAN - To be half the man my father is.

BROTHER HILL - Very good. Are there any more questions?

(silence)

BROTHER HILL - Okay, gentlemen. If you could follow me.

(SEAN and DR. MWATSUMI follow BROTHER HILL out of the room. He then turns to them.)

BROTHER HILL - You two are doing fine. The brothers will need a few moments to take care of some official business, so in the meantime, you two can go into this room and get to know one another a little better.

SEAN - Okay.

BROTHER HILL - I'll be back in a few minutes to retrieve you.

DR. MWATSUMI - That will be fine, sir. Thank you.

(BROTHER HILL leads them to an empty room, lets them in then closes the door.)

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, it's good to see you.

(The Doctor smiles. SEAN walks toward him with open arms.)

SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi! Oh my God!

(They hug.)

SEAN - How in the world...

DR. MWATSUMI - We'll catch up later, Sean.

SEAN - But why didn't you tell me?

(DR. MWATSUMI smiles.)

DR. MWATSUMI - You weren't ready, Sean. I needed to do this, another way, and it had to be done on my own time so it could fit into my own schedule.

SEAN ? Well, I am glad! So happy!

DR. MWATSUMI - For now, we just need to remain calm and focus. This is our night.

SEAN - Our night?

(DR. MWATSUMI whispers.)

DR. MWATSUMI - On the way over here, I happened to notice a lot of Iota Phi Theta paraphernalia in the back of one of the cars. I believe they are gifts. Gifts for the fraternity?s two newest members!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

MIRI is in his room with his frat brothers HAYDEN and CALVIN.

CALVIN - I still can't believe you're gonna be gone, man. This is nuts.

HAYDEN - Yeah. But, I guess you're sure about this right?

MIRI - Yeah. I'm sure.

(MIRI closes his suitcase and opens up his passport. He stares at it.)

HAYDEN - Man, are you okay? You keep opening up your passport and looking at it. Are you all right?

MIRI - Yeah.

(MIRI puts it back in his pocket.)

CALVIN - Blue, come on, man. Talk to us. You're upset about Gina, aren't you?

(silence)

(MIRI pulls out his passport again.)

MIRI - See this passport picture of me?

(MIRI hands it to CALVIN who shows HAYDEN.)

CALVIN - Yeah, what about it?

MIRI - That picture was from a trip I took with Gina when I first met her. We went to the boardwalk and got in one of those photo booth things. It snapped our picture. She has one and I have one. I cut it in half when we broke up. This was the only picture I had small enough when I applied for my passport so I used the half with me.

CALVIN - Dag.

(CALVIN hands it back, MIRI puts it back into his pocket.)

CALVIN - Miri, if you feel so strongly, are you sure you want to leave her here?

(MIRI answers without looking at CALVIN. He is closing another travel bag.)

MIRI - I have to.

(silence)

CALVIN - Why?

MIRI - This is something deeper than me. And deeper than her. I don't know. This is a journey. Like Phi Beta Sigma. I have to go.

CALVIN - But you love Gina. What about that?

(MIRI pauses before he answers.)

MIRI - I love Gina with all my heart. I was depressed without her and I'm going through a depression now. This is a different calling though. It's...

(MIRI stops packing and looks at them.)

MIRI - ...it's different. I just have to go man.

HAYDEN - I think you should go.

CALVIN - You do?

HAYDEN - You don't want to stay and have regrets.

MIRI - That's another thing. I don't want her to be resentful for keeping me back. Ya know?

CALVIN - I hear ya, man. It's tough.

MIRI - Yeah.

(MIRI returns to packing. HAYDEN checks his watch.)

HAYDEN - How much time do you have? Should we be leaving?

MIRI - Yeah. I'm almost ready. I have hours before the flight but I need to be at the airport early. International is like that.

HAYDEN - Well, let me grab these two bags and go to the car.

MIRI - Thanks, frat.

(HAYDEN takes the two bags and leaves.)

CALVIN - Miri, I just wanna say that I respect you a lot for what you're doing man -- for real.

MIRI - Thanks.

CALVIN - I mean, I don't think I've ever had a burning desire like you have now to go to Africa. I wanted Sigma badly, but this thing with you going to Africa is in your eyes. I can see it.

MIRI - Yeah.

(silence)

CALVIN - And I can see the pain in your heart, too, man. I'll be praying for you.

MIRI - Thank you, man.

(MIRI stops and hugs CALVIN.)

MIRI - Thank you, man.

(HAYDEN comes back in.)

HAYDEN - Anything else?

MIRI - Just these last two things. If you guys can carry these to the car, I'll be right out.

HAYDEN - Okay.

(CALVIN and HAYDEN take the last two bags and MIRI sits on his bed.)

(silence)

MIRI thinks - And now the hardest lesson engraved upon my heart, even though sleep was hard when we were together, it's worse now that we're apart.

(He picks up his phone and starts to dial GINA's number.)

(silence)

(MIRI hangs up, turns off the light, and locks the door behind him.)

No comments: