Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 44

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., have come to collect both SEAN and DR. MWATSUMI to begin the pledge process for them.

(SEAN opens his door and his mouth drops open.)

SEAN - Uh...

SAIFA - You will refer to me as The Man with the Hoof.

SEAN thinks - Oh shoot!

SAIFA - You will refer to him...

(SAIFA places his hand on the shoulder of his frat brother standing beside him.)

SAIFA - ...you will refer to him as Brown Bomber and to the gentleman behind me as Goldfinger.

SEAN - Uh...

SEAN thinks - Uh...

(He steps aside as the three enter his room while at DR. MWATSUMI's house...)

DR. MWATSUMI - Richard? Well what brings you by at this hou...

RICHARD - You will refer to me as Centaur King.

DR. MWATSUMI - Centaur King?

RICHARD - And you will refer to him as Brown Arrow.

DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Oh my!

(RICHARD walks right past the doctor and enters his house.)

DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Oh my goodness! Is this what happens first?

(He closes the door and follows the brothers inside.)

RICHARD - Dr. Mwatsumi, Iota Phi Theta was born out of struggle. Our country and our people were going through great turmoil in the turbulent sixties. And just when our community needed our fraternities the most, they turned their back on their own. Instead they titled themselves elite and set their sites on greater numbers for greater income. But then strong men came together...

PATRICK whispers - Ow! Ow!

RICHARD - And saw a need -- A void between our Black leaders and our Black people. It took a tremendous amount of courage for these men to step out against the grain. To decide to build a tradition as opposed to merely joining another one. They didn't worry about what anyone thought or said.

They followed their hearts, their minds, and their spirits and founded this great brotherhood! The brotherhood of Iota Phi Theta!

PATRICK - Ow! Ow!

RICHARD - You, Doctor, have impressed the brothers enough that we have decided to initiate you into our brotherhood once you have fulfilled the necessary process of learning, understanding and applying of Iota principles into your life.

(DR. MWATSUMI appears very serious and doesn't smile.)

RICHARD - As you well know, you are much older. Older than the brothers who will be in charge of helping you fully gain access to all the brotherhood has to offer. You would also be older than anyone else the brothers may have chosen to be initiated with you.

DR. MWATSUMI - This is true.

RICHARD - My first question for you Doctor is...how do you feel being instructed on what to do, how and when to do it, and not knowing why it's done, by someone so much younger than yourself?

(DR. MWATSUMI thinks before he answers.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Richard, this is...

RICHARD - Aaah aaaah, what's my name?

DR. MWATSUMI - Oh...Centaur King. Excuse me. This is something I have thought long and hard about. As you may know, I am very analytical. I understand the fact that there are younger members than me. I understand the fact that if I go through membership intake, there will be younger potentials than myself.

(He pauses.)

DR. MWATSUMI - But I also understand this fraternity was not founded by all young men. Visionaries come in all shapes, sizes...and ages.

(RICHARD looks at PATRICK and smiles.)

DR. MWATSUMI - This is something I have researched in my mind and in my spirit. I will do it.

(silence)

RICHARD - Then put this on...and follow me.

(Meanwhile in SEAN's room...)

SAIFA - Sean...we the brot...

SEAN ? Yes, Big Brother The Man with the Hoof!

(SEAN comes to attention and is staring up at the ceiling, straining his neck.)

SAIFA - Uh...yeah. Sean, we, the brothers of Iota, have found you not only meet the qualifications and standards of an Iota man, but also exemplify character, strength, and personality.

SEAN - Thank you, Big Brother The Man with the Hoof!

(SEAN stomps his foot down as he ends his sentence, and is straining his neck harder. SAIFA laughs to himself.)

SAM - Sean, from this...

SEAN - Yes! Big! Brother! Goldfinger! Sir!

(SEAN stomps his foot at the end of each word and almost causes himself to fall over. He keeps his head facing straight up, his back straight and his fists closed at his sides.)

SAIFA - Sean, you don't have to...

SEAN - Yes! Big! Brother! The! Man! with...

SAIFA - Sean stop!

SEAN - I am stopping, Big Brother The Man with the Hoof!

(SEAN looks at SAM and at RAY, who are laughing and looking at SEAN like he is crazy.)

SAIFA - Sean look at me. Bring your head down and look at me.

(SEAN listens to SAIFA and looks at him. He is breathing very heavy.)

SAIFA - Sean, calm down.

SEAN - Yes! Big! Br...

SAIFA - Sean! Sean! I said calm down.

(SEAN stops.)

SAIFA - Stop screaming and stop stomping. The time for you to be excited and hype hasn't come yet. Just keep your cool, be quiet...

(SAIFA pauses.)

SAIFA - ...and follow us.

(SAIFA and the brothers turn to leave.)

SAM - Oh, and ...put this on.


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., are in ALEXIS' room. She has begun her pledge process but has been mentally distracted by the hickey she noticed on PAULA's neck.


ALEXIS thinks - Oh...oh...oh my God! That is a hickey on Paula's neck!

JENNIFER - Alright Aurora, it's time to start to learn some greetings. We're gonna start you off with some basics and then move on from there.

(silence)

JENNIFER - Aurora, did you hear me address you?

(ALEXIS is staring at PAULA, who is on the phone.)

JENNIFER - Alexis!

ALEXIS - Uh...yes...yes.

(JENNIFER looks over at ANGELIQUE who just shrugs.)

JENNIFER - Aurora, you need to start paying attention when someone is speaking to you.

ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister...

JENNIFER - J. Rho! My name is Big Sister J. Rho!

ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister J. Rho!

(ROSALIND walks over and whispers in JENNIFER's ear.)

ROSALIND whispers - Take it easy on her Jenn. She's nervous. And remember what Candace said.

JENNIFER - Uh, huh.

(ROSALIND walks back to where she was sitting and JENNIFER resumes.)

JENNIFER - Aurora, repeat after me. Greetings big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Innnnnncorporated, most deference to you!

ALEXIS - Greetings, big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Innnnnncorporated, most deference to you!

ALEXIS thinks - Bobby was sucking on her neck and gave her a passion mark! It's all red and obvious! I can't believe how big it is!

JENNIFER - You are the ultimate ladies of that 14-karet gold and rhoyal blue!

ALEXIS - You are the ultimate ladies of that 14-karet gold and rhoyal blue!

ALEXIS thinks - I can't believe Bobby and Paula! I can't believe Bobby! This is killing me!

JENNIFER - Only a few know the charms that you possess. You are of such qualities that are above all the rest!

(silence)

ALEXIS thinks - If Bobby was kissing on her neck...then I know they
must've...

JENNIFER - Alexis!

ALEXIS - Huh...yes...

JENNIFER - Big Sister what?

(ALEXIS takes a second to think.)

ALEXIS - J. Rho. Big Sister J. Rho.

JENNIFER - Aurora, are you having problems paying attention?

ALEXIS - No, it's just that...

(She pauses.)

ALEXIS - ...I'm just trying to learn...

(JENNIFER sighs.)

JENNIFER - Okay. Let's try it again.

ALEXIS - Okay, Big Sister J. Rho.

JENNIFER - Greetings big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority,
Innnnnncorporated, most deference to you!

ALEXIS - Greetings big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Innnnnncorporated, most...

JENNIFER - Deference to you!

ALEXIS - ...deference to you!

JENNIFER - Only a few know the charms that you possess! You are of such qualities that are above all the rest!

ALEXIS - Only a few know the charms that you possess! You are of such qualities that are above all the rest!

JENNIFER - Good! Now here is the last part...

(ALEXIS is staring at PAULA, who is just hanging up the phone.)

JENNIFER - You are unsurpassable, that much is true! And your commitment to excellence always shines through! I love Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.!

ALEXIS - You are unsurpassable...this is true...and you are excellent and...

PAULA - No! Stop, stop. Can we show her how it's supposed to look ladies?

CANDACE - Good idea. Then, maybe she can see the flow of it.

PAULA - Come on y'all, line up.

(ALEXIS is staring at PAULA's neck. JENNIFER, ANGELIQUE, and PAULA line up.)

PAULA -Y'all ready? I know I haven't done this in a while! Hee hee.

ANGELIQUE - Yeah, kick it off.

SIGMAS - Greetings big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Innnnnncorporated, most deference to you! Only a few know the charms that you possess! You are of such qualities that are above all the rest! You are unsurpassable, that much is true! And your commitment to excellence always shines through! I love Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.!

CANDACE - Nice, ladies. Real nice. See Alexis? That's how it's supposed to sound. You want to try it again?

ALEXIS - Uh...yes, Big Sister Southern Gal.

CANDACE - You don't sound too confident.

(CANDACE looks ALEXIS right in the eyes and speaks to her softly.)

CANDACE - I told you that you can do this...now get yourself together. Come on.

(ALEXIS closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.)

CANDACE - So, let's try it one more time. Take your time; you can do this.

(PAULA walks up and places her hands on ALEXIS' shoulders.)

PAULA - It's awkward at first. It was for me the first night as well. But you'll do fine. Just keep trying hard and you'll...

ALEXIS - Get your hands off me!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

SHARONDA arrives in the valley with BRENDON posing as BRANDON. As they insert him into line, the brothers of Phi Beta Sigma are uncertain if he remembers enough to cross the burning sands.

(HAYDEN thinks while staring at BRENDON.)

HAYDEN - I tell ya what. If you can give me 10 minutes with him alone, I'll find out how much he knows. Don't proceed with the crossing until we get back.

CURT - Okay, cool. I'm sure the brothers and I can find some way to keep ourselves amused with the boys!

(HAYDEN smiles and calls out to BRENDON.)

HAYDEN - Crescent Brandon! Come here!

(BRENDON doesn't move.)

CRESCENT SETH whispers - Go ahead, man...it'll be okay. We all got your back.

(BRENDON slowly steps out of line.)

HAYDEN - Come over here with me.

(HAYDEN leads BRENDON to the side where no one can hear what they are speaking about.)

HAYDEN - Brandon, I am happy that you have made it out here. But I just want to make sure you are okay. I don't want this process to hurt you or damage your mind in any way. So, I just want to ask you a few things to determine if you are actually ready to do this and that you remember all your stuff.

BRENDON thinks - Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!

HAYDEN - Brandon, first of all can you tell me, why you want to become a brother of Phi Beta Sigma?

(silence)

BRENDON - Well...

BRENDON thinks - I want to be a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity,
Inc., because...

BRENDON - I want to be a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.,
because...

BRENDON thinks - ...the founders had a vision, an idea, and turned it into the reality that is Kappa.

BRENDON - ...the founders had a vision, an idea, and turned it into the reality that is Sigma.

BRENDON thinks - I have always been in awe at how Elder Watson Diggs formed the fraternity in his mind first, and then with his brothers...

BRENDON - I have always been in awe at how Most Honorable Deceased Big Brother A. Langston Taylor formed the fraternity in his mind first, and then with his brothers...

BRENDON thinks - I hope that's right! Did I say his name right! I don't remember the other two founders!

(BRENDON stops. His heart is racing. HAYDEN continues.)

HAYDEN - Good Brandon. You seem to remember a lot.

BRENDON - This is important to me, so maybe that helped.

HAYDEN - Understandable. Brandon, can you tell me anything about your pledge process? What stood out the most to you?

(BRENDON takes a second before he answers.)

BRENDON - Well, Big Brother...

BRENDON thinks - When I knew that I wouldn't be a brother this semester, I was totally devastated.

BRENDON - When I thought that I wouldn't be a brother this semester, I was totally devastated.

BRENDON thinks - And then when I found out that Mike was gonna cross, I was hurt.

BRENDON - And then when I thought my line brothers were gonna cross, I was hurt.

BRENDON thinks - I really want to be a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.!

BRENDON - I really want to be a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity,
Inc.!

BRENDON thinks - It is going to be so hard to approach Mike now.

BRENDON - It would be so hard to approach my line brothers.

BRENDON thinks - That Kappa passion is burning inside me.

BRENDON - That Sigma passion is burning inside me.

BRENDON - And I can't wait until I am...

(He pauses.)

BRENDON - ...finally complete.

(He stops.)

HAYDEN - Okay. I understand exactly how you feel Brandon. Let me just ask you one final question before we go back to the others.

(BRENDON thinks he can hear his heart beat because it is beating so fast and so loudly. His palms are sweaty.)

HAYDEN - I want to know if you remember the words to ?The Bitter Cup,? the poem we made you guys remember and recite. We taught it to you a few weeks ago. Can recite all the words to me?

BRENDON thinks - Oh no!

(HAYDEN and BRENDON both turn around as they hear HAYDEN's name called.)

DENICE - Hayden! Hayden!

(DENICE is jogging toward the two of them.)

HAYDEN - Oh, hey Denice! Give me one more second with Bran...

DENICE - No wait, I need to holla at you real quick! This will only take a second, Frat!

HAYDEN - But I am right in the middle of...

DENICE - Please, man! This is important!

(HAYDEN looks back at BRENDON.)

HAYDEN - Crescent Brandon, I'll be right back. Don't forget, I want the words to "The Bitter Cup" when I get back.

BRENDON - Yes, Big Brother...um...Smooth Blue Lion!

(HAYDEN walks away with DENICE.)

HAYDEN - What's up, Soror?

DENICE - Um...uh...what do you plan to do after the crossing tonight?

HAYDEN - Huh?

DENICE - Well...I didn't know if you had any kinds of plans to celebrate with the brand new Sigmas, so I wanted to know if we should try and set something out tonight.

HAYDEN - And you had to ask me that right now?

DENICE - Well...uh...I know that the boys are getting ready to cross and if you want the sorors to do something, we had better go start setting something up now.

(HAYDEN sighs.)

HAYDEN - Fine. I didn't have anything planned. Feel free. We got a bunch of gifts for them in the car. Here, take the keys and make sure they are all set up for them.

DENICE - Cool, Frat. Thanks.

HAYDEN thinks - Good grief.

(He turns back and returns to BRENDON.)

HAYDEN - All right, Crescent. Let's hear it..."The Bitter Cup." Now.

BRANDON - I drink from the bitter cup/With the choking oil of prejudice to quench my thirst/I asked for a cooling drink from the water of freedom to soothe...

HAYDEN - That's good, that's good. That's enough man.

(BRANDON sighs relief.)

HAYDEN - Come on, Crescent. Let's go back and join your line brothers. I think you are ready to do this!

No comments: