Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 65

GREGG watches as XAVIER runs down the hall after SHAREESA. Once XAVIER is out of sight, GREGG turns to MIKE.

GREGG - You ready to go in and talk to Reggie?

MIKE - Heck yeah! I'm ready! Let me at him!

(GREGG places his arm in front of MIKE to prevent him from going toward the door.)

GREGG - Hold on, hot shot! We gotta do this smart. We can't go in there bustin' him up. Now, I already got him chill and mellow, and he doesn't suspect anything is up. So just follow my lead and do what I do.

MIKE - Okay!

GREGG - I'm serious, Mike! Chill out and let me handle this.

MIKE - Okay, Gregg. Okay.

(GREGG takes his arm down and turns to go back into the room. MIKE follows.)

GREGG - Regg, my man! Sorry I had to step out for a minute.

REGGIE - Naw, it's cool, Gregg. Is everything all right with your girl?

GREGG - Oh, Shareesa? Oh yeah, she's okay. I told her I'd call her later.

REGGIE - Oh, okay man.

GREGG - Yo, man, I want you to meet Mike. This is my neo. Mike, this is Reggie.

(REGGIE smiles.)

REGGIE - Hey Mike, congratulations man! Welcome to this side of the Greek fence. Ha ha ha ha ha!

(REGGIE stands up and extends his hand toward MIKE.)

MIKE - Yeah?uh huh. What's up, Man?

(MIKE slaps REGGIE's hand very casually and plops down on the chair. He pulls the cane, that has been dangling out of his pocket, out and starts to play with it between his fingers.)

REGGIE - Oooooo...k.

(REGGIE sits back down.)

GREGG thinks - Mike is gonna screw this whole thing up!

GREGG - Uhh...how's the game, man?

REGGIE - Oh, it's half time. But good game though. Real good. You missed some really good shots.

GREGG - Really? Dag!

(GREGG sits down.)

REGGIE - But, that's okay. They should come out fired up for the second half.

GREGG - Yeah, I hope so.

(GREGG turns to MIKE.)

GREGG - Mike, go grab me and Reggie another beer. And get one for yourself if you want.

MIKE - Man, I ain't no Scroller no more! Get it yourself!

GREGG - Go get another beer!

(GREGG signals to MIKE to leave. MIKE sighs and slowly gets up. GREGG turns back to REGGIE smiling.)

GREGG - These neos nowadays man, I tell ya! Ha ha ha ha!

REGGIE - I know what you mean, man. Sheesh! Cats ain't comin' into the frat the way they used to. So this is what you get sometimes.

GREGG - I know what you mean, man. We need to go back to the old school. You know?

REGGIE - I hear ya, G. I hear ya.

(MIKE comes back with the bottles.)

REGGIE - Thanks, Mike.

MIKE - Yeah.

(MIKE plops back down without looking at REGGIE.)

REGGIE thinks - What the heck is his problem?

GREGG - So Reggie, you said you got some neos, too. You were telling me about one of them when Shareesa got here.

REGGIE - Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Now what was I saying?

GREGG - Um, I think his name was...um...Quinton.

REGGIE - Oh yeah, Quinton.

(REGGIE sips from his bottle.)

REGGIE - Yeah Q is a cool dude, man. Real smart, young brother and with a good head on his shoulders. He is a born leader. He'll probably mess around and be chapter president when Bobby is done.

MIKE - Good Lord.

REGGIE - Huh? What you say?

GREGG ? Nevermind him. He's just...

(GREGG turns toward MIKE and stresses his next word.)

GREGG - ...stupid!

MIKE - Man, whatever! You need to quit beatin' around the bush and get to it!

REGGIE - What are you talking about, dude?

GREGG - Shut up, Mike!

MIKE - No, I'm not gonna shut up! I'm gonna tell you how it is and keep it real!

REGGIE - What's your problem, man?

MIKE - My problem? My problem!

(GREGG stands up and stands in front of where MIKE is sitting.)

GREGG - Mike shut the...

(The door opens and there is a second of silence as everyone focuses on XAVIER walking in with DELL behind him.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

ROBIN comes back into the room where PYRAMID BREANNA and PYRAMID THERESA are. THERESA quickly hangs up her cell phone from talking to MONA and comes to attention.

ROBIN - Hello, Ladies!

PYRAMIDS - Hello Big Sister Jeopardy!

ROBIN - Weren't y'all supposed to ask me a question!

PYRAMID THERESA ? Were we, big sister?

(ROBIN smiles.)

ROBIN - Y'all sit down. Let's talk.

(The two sit down on the floor. ROBIN sits on a chair.)

ROBIN - I know you guys have been through a lot so far. I want to hear a little from the both of you. Pyramid Breanna...

PYRAMID BREANNA - You want to hear from me Big Sister Jeopardy?

ROBIN - Yeah, I wanna hear from you. Tell me how you feel now that you are on your journey to Delta land.

PYRAMID BREANNA - This has been a difficult time for me big sister. Obviously a lot has gone on for me. Um...hasn't it?

ROBIN - Yeah. Continue.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Especially with Big Sister Stacie Jefferson...and all that happene...

ROBIN - No, don't call her that anymore. Call her Big Sister Old School.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Oh. Okay, well with all that happened with Big Sister Old School, I didn't know if my dreams of becoming a member of your illustrious sorority would ever come to fruition. Understand Big Sister Jeopardy?

ROBIN - Yeah.

PYRAMID BREANNA - But my big sisters have shown me nothing but love from the time I have expressed my interest. They have never looked down on me for?

(BREANNA begins to choke up.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - ...for the things I did. And for the mistakes I made. They ...

(Tears begin to slowly fall down BREANNA's cheek and THERESA places her arm around her line sister as BREANNA continues.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - ...have supported me and taught me what it means to be...

(BREANNA pauses as she wipes her eyes and leans her head on THERESA's shoulder.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - ...a sister.

(ROBIN sits back and smiles to herself.)

ROBIN - You didn't pose that as a question Pyramid.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Oh...uh...I'm...

ROBIN - Don't let it happen again.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Wouldn't it be silly for me to let it happen again Big Sister Jeopardy?

ROBIN - Don't take advantage of this down time, Pyramids. I'm trying to give you some rest but don't take advantage of my niceness.

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister Jeopardy!

PYRAMID THERESA - Would we do that, big sister?

ROBIN - Mmmmm hmmmm.

(silence)

ROBIN - Okay, next. Pyramid T. Tell me your story. How do you feel at this stage of the game?

(THERESA takes her arm from around BREANNA and sits up.)

PYRAMID THERESA - I began the journey into Delta Sigma Theta land as a child. Didn't I big sister?

ROBIN - Yes, you did Pyramid.

PYRAMID THERESA - And in a sense, I still am a child. I have learned so much and have grown to appreciate so much during this time. I feel like I am maturing, understanding myself, and my desire to become a sister in this great sorority. Did you feel the same way when you were a pyramid, Big Sister Jeopardy?

ROBIN - Yeah, I did. I see what you mean.

PYRAMID THERESA - So with that being said, big sister, I feel that I have changed so much. I have really changed a lot.

ROBIN - How so?

PYRAMID THERESA - When I first decided to try out for the sorority, my reasons were...

(THERESA pauses and tries to find the right words.)

PYRAMID THERESA - ...my reasons were...um...

(THERESA glances at BREANNA and remembers what she once thought.)

THERESA - The first thing I'm gonna do is get my man back. Back from Willie.

MONA - Claim what's yours, girlfriend. Claim what's yours.

THERESA - Then I'm gonna take care of that busy body Breanna. She gets on my nerves. Always running behind the Deltas and kissin' their butts.

MONA - Just like PJ did with my big sisters. I hate people like that.

THERESA - Well, you can bet that I will take care of that as soon as I get on line!

ROBIN - Your reasons were what, Pyramid Theresa?

(THERESA snaps back to reality when ROBIN questions her. She looks back at BREANNA, takes BREANNA's hand in hers and continues.)

PYRAMID THERESA - My reasons were selfish and not in the interest of the group. I wanted DST for me and I didn't consider me for DST. I thought of how the sorority can help me, and not what I could contribute to the sorority, to my chapter...

(She looks back at BREANNA.)

PYRAMID THERESA - And to my line sister. And I have grown. Do you understand Big Sister Jeopardy?

(silence)

ROBIN - Yeah.

(ROBIN stands up.)

ROBIN - I got ya. I understand.

(ROBIN checks her watch.)

ROBIN - Well, I am happy to hear all that I have heard. You two seem to have made significant progress and that's good. Almost.

PYRAMID BREANNA thinks - Almost?

ROBIN - Now is the time for you to pick up the pace and get in gear. And it's perfect timing, too. Your pledging is about to jump up one hundred degrees and I hope y'all are ready for it.

PYRAMID THERESA - I know we're ready, Big Sister Jeopardy! Don't you?

ROBIN - Don't speak too soon, Pyramid. Don't speak to soon.

(ROBIN walks in front of where they are sitting.)

ROBIN - Within this chapter there have been a legacy of great women who have gone on to do some wonderful things in their own lives as well as within Delta Sigma Theta. And that is why we revere our old heads so much. That is why we stress to our initiates the importance of knowing your history. We take our older sorors very serious and allow them the opportunity to meet and...

(ROBIN smiles.)

ROBIN - ...speak...to our pledges each year. Now, as this invitation is an annual thing and is an open door policy for sorors, there is one particular line that came through this chapter that takes this invitation to heart. They have made it a point to get together every year around this time to meet up with one another and to meet the line. They don't even come together during homecoming the way they do during line.

(There phone rings.)

ROBIN thinks - Perfect timing as usual!

ROBIN - Hold on, ladies.

(ROBIN picks the phone up.)

ROBIN - Hello? Oh great. Come on up. You know which room, right? Okay good.

(ROBIN hangs up and turns to face the Pyramids.)

ROBIN - Stand up.

(They both stand quickly.)

ROBIN - They're here.

PYRAMID THERESA - Now, big sister?

ROBIN - Yes now. So y'all better be on point. Do not embarrass me in front of my prophytes. Do you understand me?

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister Jeopardy!

ROBIN - I trust you guys and I know you can do well. Have faith and lean on one another. This won't be easy. As a matter of fact, this will be your hardest night since line has started.

PYRAMID BREANNA thinks - Oh shoot!

ROBIN - But, I know you guys can make it! Are y'all ready!

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister Jeopardy!

ROBIN - Are you sure you're ready!

(The Pyramids get very loud.)

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister Jeopardy!

ROBIN - That's what I'm talking about ladies! Give me some!

(ROBIN extends her fist and both pledgees give her a pound with their fists.)

ROBIN - Alright! Ladies I want to introduce to you my prophytes! This line is our chapter's pride and joy! If you cross, you need to strive to be like the sorors you are about to meet! This is our chapter's spring 90 line!

PYRAMID BREANNA thinks - Spring 90?

(There is a knock on the door.)

ROBIN - Ladies, get ready to meet The Eleven Dreams of Crimson and Cream!

(ROBIN goes to answer the door and BREANNA grabs THERESA's arm hard.)

PYRAMID THERESA whispers - What's the matter with you?

PYRAMID BREANNA whispers - This is the spring 90 line!

PYRAMID THERESA whispers - So what?

(ROBIN opens the door.)

PYRAMID BREANNA whispers - This is Stacie Jefferson's line!
:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 3

BOBBY turns and answers his phone, thinking that maybe it is PAULA calling him. He left TRINA standing at his door so she walks in.


BOBBY - Hello! Hello Paula?

JASON - Bobby, it's J. What's up, bruh?

(silence)

JASON - Hello?

(silence)

TRINA - Are you listening to me Bobby! I said, I want to talk to you!

JASON - Hello? Bobby what's wrong, man?

BOBBY - I thought you were Paula. My bad, Jason.

JASON - Ha ha ha ha! I don't think I resemble Paula at all! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(silence)

JASON - What's wrong with you, man?

BOBBY - It's Paula, man. She broke up with me.

JASON - She did? Why? What's up with that?

BOBBY - Man, she caught me...

(BOBBY glances over his shoulder and sees TRINA standing there looking aggravated and impatient.)

BOBBY - Jason, let me hit you back, man.

JASON - Okay, is everything okay?

BOBBY - Yeah, let me just hit you back.

JASON - Okay, man.

BOBBY - Later, bruh.

JASON - Peace.

(BOBBY hangs up and turns to face TRINA.)

TRINA - It's about time! You found a second to fit me into your busy schedule, Mr. Man?

BOBBY - Trina, what do you want?

TRINA - I am sick and tired of your name still coming up with mine! I can't even get a date nowadays because everyone on campus thinks that you and me are still messin' around or something!

BOBBY - What?

TRINA - Why is my reputation based on yours? Why does everyone think we still got somethin' going on?

(BOBBY is looking at TRINA with a confused look on his face.)

BOBBY - Don't you still go with Ronnie?

TRINA - That isn't the point!

BOBBY - Oh, God. Trina look. I got some real problems right now that are weighing heavy on me. And unfortunately, I don?t have time to...

TRINA - Problems? What do you know about problems, Bobby? What...the Alphas are having a party and you can't find a dj? What problems?

BOBBY - It's personal, okay? But the point is, I got some things on my mind and I really can't debate with you about other dudes thinking that I?m still with you.

TRINA - Bobby, I know you. You don't know what real problems are. You are the most selfish person I know and everything tends to revolve around you in that twisted head of yours. Which isn't always bad because you will probably go far in life. I've always told you that. But don't think you have real problems, Bobby, because you don't.

BOBBY - What do you know about me, Trina? You don't know anything about me. You weren't even my girl.

TRINA - And that's why I know you so well! Girlfriends think they know their men, but it's the other women that the man tells his inner most secrets too. I was the one you always would complain about Alexis to. I was the one who knew what to do because you told me what she didn't do. I was the one you ran to when you couldn't take her nagging. And did I ever nag you? No. Did I ever complain about spending time with you? No.

BOBBY - Were you ever there for me? No.

TRINA - What? Bobby I was always there for you! Through all that you were going through with your fraternity, or whatever. How do you think I felt when I knew you were with her? Huh? I liked you a lot but I stayed in my place to protect you.

BOBBY - Protect me?

TRINA - How would it have looked if it came out that you were cheating on sweet Alexis?

BOBBY - Trina...look like I said...

(BOBBY starts to walk toward the door to let TRINA out but she sits down.)

TRINA - What's the problem? Maybe I can help.

BOBBY - You? Help me?

TRINA - You never know. What's wrong?

(BOBBY sighs and sits down as well.)

BOBBY - Alright. It's my girl Paula. Or my ex, Paula...or whatever she is.

TRINA - What about her?

BOBBY - I think she's leaving me and I am dying about it. I never felt this bad before.

TRINA - Did you screw around again, Bobby?

BOBBY - Well, yeah but even that wasn't the same. I really didn't want to. I mean, it happened, but I had Paula on the brain. I didn't want to be with this other chick. So, I figured I would just let that be my last time creepin' out and then focus more on my girl. Unfortunately, she found out.

TRINA - So you haven't changed a bit?

BOBBY - Yes, I have! I love Paula!

TRINA - No, you don't, you love yourself, Bobby. Face it. You don't know what love is.

BOBBY - How can you tell me that? What do you know? Don't hate because I never loved you!

(silence)

(TRINA looks away. And then starts to get up.)

TRINA - Okay, Bobby.

(TRINA turns to leave.)

BOBBY thinks - Dag! Dag!

BOBBY - Trina, I didn't mean...I'm just sayin...

TRINA - You don't owe me any explanations, Bobby. I hope you and Paula work things out.

(TRINA is walking toward the door and BOBBY gets up and grabs her arm.)

BOBBY - Trina wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say...

(BOBBY stops TRINA and she turns around and immediately starts to kiss BOBBY passionately.)

TRINA thinks - I knew it! Same ol' Bob...

(BOBBY pushes her off.)

BOBBY - Trina...I said, I love Paula. I'll talk to you later.

No comments: