Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 4

SCENE 1

MIRI has been kicked off line for Phi Beta Sigma fraternity and is sitting in the back of the Sigma frat house at Amgis College. Two brothers of Phi Beta Sigma, TROY and JEFF are now questioning him. TROY is Black and JEFF is White.

(MIRI sits down on the back steps to think of his next move.)

MIRI thinks - Maybe if I apologize to Calvin in front of everyone, things will smooth out! Yeah, that's what I need to do!

(A car pulls up the driveway and parks. The car has a Phi Beta Sigma license plate on the front. There are two guys in the car, one white and one black.)

MIRI thinks - Oh no! What should I do? What should I say?

(The guys step out of the car and walk up toward the house. The guys are not wearing Greek letters. MIRI is staring at the White guy, who speaks.)

JEFF - Hey man, what is that around your neck?

(MIRI looks down and remembers that he was given a wooden lavaliere of a half moon to hang around his neck, right before HAYDEN left the house.)

JEFF - Are you on line?

(MIRI stands up.)

MIRI - Uh...uh...yes but...

TROY - You don't know how to respond when you see two big brothers walk up?

MIRI thinks - Two big brothers?

(MIRI stares at JEFF.)

TROY - I asked you if you know how to respond, Crescent.

MIRI - Uh...I...uh...

TROY - Jeff, I think I need to tighten this dude up. Help me put him in the trunk. Ha ha ha.

(JEFF laughs. MIRI is still looking confusingly at JEFF.)

JEFF - What's the matter man? The cat got your tongue?

MIRI - Uh...no. It's just that...well...I'm not on line any longer.

(JEFF and TROY look at each other and smile.)

JEFF thinks - Oh, the brothers must be playing with his mind. I love it!

JEFF - Oh really? What happened?

MIRI - I...uh...

MIRI thinks - I was rude to a White boy.

MIRI - I don't know. I don't understand why.

JEFF - Sit back down man. Let's talk.

(MIRI sits down. JEFF and TROY sit on either side of him.)

JEFF - First of all, what's your name?

MIRI - Cresce...I mean Miri.

(TROY and JEFF smile.)

JEFF - Okay, now tell me. You must have done something to get yourself banned from pledging. Big brothers don't just kick people off line who want to be Sigmas.

TROY - Yeah. What did you do Miri?

MIRI - I am embarrassed to say.

TROY - Don't be embarrassed. We have all done stupid things around the big brothers at one time or another. That is how we learn and mature in the fraternity.

(JEFF pulls out his key chain and begins to swing it around his fingers. It has a Phi Beta Sigma medallion hanging from it.)

JEFF - So what did you do to piss your dean and big brothers off?

(silence)

MIRI - Well, here is the situation. I am an Ahpla student, and me and one other guy were brought here to become members with some Amgis students.

TROY - Okay.

MIRI - I don't know the Amgis students that well, I have only met them a few times. So I guess through the line process, we were supposed to get to know each other real well and bond.

TROY - Yeah, that is usually how it works.

MIRI - Well, when I first met the Amgis guys, I met one named Calvin. Immediately I didn't think that Calvin would make line because he is...

(silence)

TROY - Because he's what?

MIRI - ...he's...he's not African American.

(TROY looks over at JEFF who smiles and looks away. He then continues to swing his keys around his fingers.)

TROY - Okay.

MIRI - But much to my surprise, he is on line. I didn't know...I mean, I guess I could've or...I should've learned this somewhere...but...

(MIRI's heart starts pounding.)

JEFF - You didn't know that Sigma had non-African American members?

(MIRI looks down ashamed.)

TROY - You didn't know that Sigma had White boys? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(JEFF laughs at TROY. MIRI continues to look down.)

TROY - So what did you do? Curse him out?

MIRI - I might as well have. I had some...not so kind words for Calvin. The next thing I know, I was asked by the dean of pledgees to leave.

(TROY and JEFF smile at one another.)

TROY - You want to handle this?

JEFF - I got it.

(TROY gets up.)

TROY - It was nice meeting you Miri.

MIRI - Oh uh...big broth...

TROY - Don't bother.

(TROY laughs to himself as he enters the house.)

JEFF - So Miri, it sounds to me like you need a little Phi Beta Sigma history lesson.

(MIRI nods, still looking away ashamed.)

JEFF - Alright man. I hope you can remember things quickly, because this is a long story and I ain?t gonna tell you twice. So listen up.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

BREANNA is in her dorm room. She is crying as she recollects her relationship with ALEX JEFFERSON.

BREANNA - I can't believe this happened to me! God, why did this have to happen to me? How did this happen to me?

ALEX - Breanna, you are just so pretty.

BREANNA - Oh, you are only interested in me for my looks?

(ALEX laughs.)

ALEX - No, not just that. But you are so mature. Most women on this campus couldn't deal with a relationship with a faculty member. But you can. I appreciate the fact that you are not only beautiful, but mature as well.

(BREANNA begins to cry hard again.)

BREANNA - I can't believe this is happening to me!

(BREANNA picks up the phone and dials.)

MRS. LENELL - Hello.

BREANNA - Mom.

MRS. LENELL - Breanna? What's the matter Breanna? Are you crying?

BREANNA - I'm okay mom.

MRS. LENELL - Well why are you crying? What's wrong?

BREANNA thinks - Mom, I fell in love with a married man. Mom, I fell in love with a teacher. Mom, I fell in love with a married man. Mom, I fell in love

with a teacher. Mom, I fell in love with a married man.

MRS. LENELL - Breanna, what's the matter?

BREANNA - Mom...I...

(silence)

BREANNA - ...I started to pledge a sorority.

MRS. LENELL - You did? Well why didn't you tell me? Which one?

BREANNA - Delta Sigma Theta.

MRS. LENELL - Well that is good news, isn't it? Why are you crying then? Did they do something to you?

BREANNA - No, they didn't do anything bad to me. It's just that I began pledging, and I don't think they are going to allow me to finish.

MRS. LENELL - - For heaven's sake. Why not?

BREANNA - I don't really know.

MRS. LENELL - Breanna, you have to be careful with those fraternities and groups.

BREANNA - Sororities mom. For the females they are called sororities.

MRS. LENELL - Right. But you have to be very careful. Sometimes they take young women who are very hopeful about membership and they emotionally abuse them so bad. I saw it on the news once. You know that show, ?20/20.?

BREANNA thinks - Oh God.

MRS. LENELL - You may be dealing with young ladies like that now. They may have told you that you can be a member, and not really have your best interest at heart.

BREANNA - I don't think that is the case mom. I think it is a little deeper than that.

MRS. LENELL - Well what do you think it is sweetie?

(silence)

BREANNA - I really don't know details.

MRS. LENELL - I don't know a lot about this kind of stuff, Breanna. I don't know what to tell you.

BREANNA - I know you don't mom. I was just calling to hear your voice.

(BREANNA softly begins to cry again.)

BREANNA - I just need that right now.

MRS. LENELL - Well that I can definitely help you with. I am always here for you sweetheart. You know I love you.

BREANNA - I know.

MRS. LENELL - Your father too. We are both in your corner. You can call me anytime to talk. Anytime.

BREANNA - I know.

MRS. LENELL - You think that you are going to be okay?

BREANNA - Yes. I think so. I'll be alright.

MRS. LENELL - Well good. You sound better already.

(BREANNA smiles but the tears still fall down her cheeks.)

BREANNA - Mom, I'm not going to hold you up. I just wanted to hear you. And I do feel better.

MRS. LENELL - Girl please. You ain?t holding me up. You can call whenever you want and talk for as long as you want. You can even call me collect.

(BREANNA giggles.)

BREANNA - Thanks.

MRS. LENELL - Don't thank me Breanna. If that...sorority...is what you want, and it is in your heart, you'll get it.

BREANNA thinks - God, that is so sweet.

BREANNA - Thank you mommy.

MRS. LENELL - You're welcome baby.

BREANNA - Mommy, I'll talk to you later.

MRS. LENELL - Keep me posted on what happens. Good luck baby.

BREANNA - Thank you.

MRS. LENELL - I love you.

BREANNA - I love you too.

(They hang up.)

BREANNA thinks - Mom is right. Delta Sigma Theta is in my heart and it is something that I want. I have to focus and get it. I can't be bothered by trifling men right now. I have a goal and I have to claim it!

(BREANNA picks up the phone and dials.)

WILLIE'S ANSWERING MACHINE - Peace and blessings. I am not home right now, but please leave a message and I will...

(BREANNA hangs up.)

BREANNA thinks - I don't want to leave that type of message on an answering machine. I need to speak to one of them directly.

(BREANNA starts to dial again and there is a knock on the door. She hangs up.)

BREANNA thinks - Who in the world could this be? Maybe it is one of the Deltas. Maybe it is Alex!

(BREANNA hesitates.)

BREANNA thinks - Okay, if it is Alex, I will slam the door right in his face!

(There is another knock on the door.)

BREANNA thinks - Well maybe I will let him in. He still has some explaining to do and maybe he can get me out of hot water with Stacie.

(BREANNA goes to open the door.)

BREANNA thinks - Maybe it is Willie or Christian.

(BREANNA opens the door as it is being knocked on again.)

BREANNA - Uh hi...may I help you?

THERESA - Actually, I think we can help each other. My name is Theresa and we are going to help each other pledge Delta Sigma Theta.


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 3

DERRICK has called an assembly of his closest friends and family to his house. He is ready to announce his decision to enter the NBA or remain at Ahpla University.

DERRICK - I want to thank you all for coming and being patient. We are just waiting on one more person.

COACH EDWARDS - Take your time Derrick. We ain?t in no hurry. We are just dying of suspense! Ha ha ha ha!

(Everyone laughs.)

DERRICK - Sorry, I will let y?all know the deal as soon as the last person arrives. But feel free to get some more to drink or eat. I have plenty of stuff.

(Everyone eats and chit chats with one another.)

CARYN - You know June, Derrick promised to get us one of those new trucks. You know, the Mercedes kind?

(JUNE giggles.)

JUNE - Oh really?

CARYN - Or maybe the Lexus Land Rover type. I haven't decided yet.

JUNE - I am sure you will decide wisely, Caryn.

(JUNE smiles sarcastically.)

CARYN - Don't get smart!

(JUNE just walks away. There is a knock on the door.)

DERRICK - Our last guest.

(DERRICK opens the door.)

LOWELL - Hey son.

(DERRICK turns and leaves the door open without saying a word. LOWELL enters.)

DERRICK - Okay everyone. If you would please quiet down, I have a few things to say. Please have a seat.

(Everyone sits and eagerly listens.)

DERRICK - As all of you know, I have been under tremendous pressure from all sides as to what decision I am to make regarding my immediate future. I want to thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and words of prayer.

(CARYN leans and whispers to JUNE.)

CARYN whispers - I prayed with him. He's talking about me.

JUNE thinks - Good heavens!

DERRICK - I want to most of all thank two people in particular.

(LOWELL smiles.)

DERRICK - I want to first thank my mom. Clap for my mother, y?all.

(MS. RAINES smiles.)

DERRICK - Mom, you have been there from the very beginning. You were my mother, my father and my first coach. If it were not for you, I would not have the talent and ability that I have and I thank you. It is because of you that I am who I am. Thank you.

(Everyone claps again.)

DERRICK - Secondly?

(LOWELL smiles again.)

DERRICK - I want to thank Coach Edwards.

(Everyone claps for COACH EDWARDS, except LOWELL.)

DERRICK - It was Coach who helped me to nurture my game and teach me one important lesson. That I have to listen to me. Do the things that I need to do for me. Stop trying to please everyone else and do what makes me happy. What counts for me. I thank Coach for that because lots of times young people, especially athletes, easily get caught up with a lot of hoopla and promises. But Coach Edwards has kept me grounded as a person and as a player.

Thank you Coach for your words and your work ethic. You have helped me more than you know!

(COACH EDWARDS stands up and hugs DERRICK as everyone claps.)

DERRICK - And now, the moment you have all been waiting for. I have made my decision as to what I am going to do. I have decided to...

CARYN - Oh God I can't take the suspense!

(DERRICK pauses and everyone laughs at CARYN. She puts the baby down.)

CARYN - Here! Somebody hold Lil? Derrick! I can't take the suspense!

(DERRICK rolls his eyes.)

DERRICK - Ahem. As I was saying, I have made my decision.

(The room gets quiet. DERRICK smiles.)

DERRICK - I have decided...

(silence)

DERRICK - ...to enter the NBA and play with the Portland Trailblazers.

LOWELL & CARYN - Yes! Thank you Jesus!

(Everyone in the room begins to clap and congratulate DERRICK. He immediately walks toward his mother.)

MS. RAINES - Derrick, I am proud of you. Is this what you really want for yourself?

DERRICK - Yes ma?am. This is what I want for me...and for you.

(DERRICK hugs his mother and she kisses his cheek.)

MS. RAINES - Derrick, I don't care about the money. I just want you to be happy baby.

DERRICK - Making you happy makes me happy.

(JUNE comes up behind DERRICK.)

JUNE - Congratulations! I knew you would do the right thing.

(DERRICK turns around.)

DERRICK - Thanks.

(They hug.)

DERRICK - Thanks for having my back through all this.

JUNE - No problem.

(COACH EDWARDS AND LOWELL approach.)

COACH EDWARDS - Derrick, I'm gonna miss you. But I am happy for you. Very happy for you.

DERRICK - Coach, no matter where I go, you will always be my coach.

(DERRICK and COACH EDWARDS shake hands then hug.)

LOWELL - Derrick, I know that you and I haven't...

(DERRICK walks away.)

DERRICK - Everyone, if you could quiet down, I have one more announcement to make.

(Everyone stops talking and eating and turn their attention to DERRICK.)

DERRICK - Like I said earlier, I want to thank you for all of your support. I want this day and this decision to be not only a blessing to me, but to be a blessing to you all. Each of you is special to me in your own way and I will never forget you.

(Everyone claps. LOWELL smiles a big smile.)

DERRICK - Specifically, I want to say to my baby...

(silence)

DERRICK - ...your worries are over sweetheart. Caryn, you and Lil? Derrick are coming with me to Portland.

No comments: