Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 28

TY has been told by his big brothers that he is not impressing them
and therefore has to explain to them why he should even be allowed membership into Omega Psi Phi fraternity at this point.


(DEXTER comes in with LAMPADO TY behind him.)

TY thinks - Gotta stay pumped! Gotta stay pumped! Gotta stay pumped!
DRE - Ty.
TY - Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
DRE - Ty, the brothers are not impressed with your performance on line so
far. We need to talk to you.
TY thinks - Gotta stay pumped! Gotta stay pumped!
DRE - Since there is concern about your progress into Omega, we're gonna need
for you to explain to us your motivation to be here in the first place. You need to convince us that we made the right decision to bring you into the hood.

(TY thinks back to the Delta event that he attended last semester with RONNIE
and DRE.)

RONNIE - We make sure that we put out quality events like this as well as doing community service. You know what I mean? Being Greek ain't about always stepping or
showing off. It is about bringing the mentality of our people to that next level.
DRE - That's right. Do you think you are ready for that Ty? I don't know if you are ready for a commitment like Omega.
TY - Oh I am, I definitely am. I understand exactly what you're saying.

(silence)

TY - I do know one thing...

(RONNIE and DRE look at TY for his next statement.)

TY - There are some fine honies in here tonight!

(TY thinks of how stupid of an answer that was as he prepares to speak to his
big brothers now.)

TY thinks - I am so dumb!
DRE - So you need to convince us that you are ready. Are you ready to fulfill what you have begun? Tell us.
TY - Big brothers...

(DRE, RONNIE, and DEXTER sit back on the couch to listen to what TY has to
say.)

TY - ...I must admit that when I approached the brotherhood to pursue Omega Psi Phi, I had many of the wrong intentions in mind. I saw the fraternity as...
RONNIE - Stop speaking with your hands! Speak with your mouth! This ain't sign
language!
TY thinks - Dag!
TY - Yes, big brother ExeQUEtioner!

(TY places his hands by his sides.)

TY - I didn't see Omega Psi Phi Fraternity in the light that I should have.
TY thinks - Think, man! Focus!
TY - I only saw the fraternity as a way to make new friends, meet women and go to parties. I didn't see the vision of the founders. I didn't know the struggle they went through, the blood, the sweat, and the tears! Before I wanted to be in a frat. For all the wrong reasons.

(DRE glances over at RONNIE who is staring intensely at TY. DRE looks back at
TY.)

TY - Before, I wanted to be in a frat. Now...I want to be a son, a son of blood and thunder! I want the spirit of the brotherhood to live in me til the day I die! I want the memories of the founders to shine through all that I do. If the big brothers still consider me worthy enough, I want to meet brothers from near and far and live the true essence of Omega!
DRE - What's the true essence of Omega in your opinion, Ty?
TY - Brotherhood first! Friendship forever! Comraderie for life! I will never forget these times. I will never forget the experiences good and bad. I will never leave from the path of brotherhood. I will make you proud of me, dean! I will make you proud of me, Big Brother ExeQUEtioner! I will make you proud of me, Big Brother Bone Crusher! I will dedicate my heart, my soul, my mind and all my time to Omega!

(DRE jumps to his feet.)

DRE - You sound like you want to cross the burning sands!
TY - I do!
DRE - Are you sure!
TY - Yes! I know I do! And I am ready!

(DRE smiles.)

(GREGG smiles.)

GREGG - You ready?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - You think you know your stuff?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - I'll tell you what. I have pledged many in my day...

(All the Kappas start laughing.)

GREGG - ...and out of all the pledgees I have seen, I have never done what I am about to do with you. I'm gonna give you a big hint. Is that okay with you?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Good. Here is your hint. What do you think all of these nupes are in town for?
DAVE - We ain't here for the homecoming parade! Ha ha ha ha!

(All the Kappas start to laugh.)

GREGG - Nope, they ain't here for no parade. Do you know why they are here? I'll tell you. They are here because they came to see you cross.
MIKE thinks - Oh shoot!
GREGG - Every nupe in this room pledged here at Ahpla. Every one in this room! Look around the room! Look at these men that have gone before you! They have all taken time out of their busy schedules to come and see that you do what you gotta do to get in the right way. Do you understand that?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - I know you aren't going to embarrass me and let them down are you?
MIKE - No Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Good, well here is the deal. I get to ask you the questions from now on. And you already know how I don't like wrong answers right?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
MIKE thinks - I know! Don't I know!
GREGG - Well that was when you were a baby. Now you are all grown up and almost ready to become a full-fledged member of the notorious clan of Kappa Alpha Psi!
KAPPAS - Yo baby yo!
GREGG - But if you get one question wrong, just one wrong, you are out! And if you think I am joking...

(GREGG takes off his frat jacket and places it on the floor.)

GREGG - ...so help me God I will turn in my letters if you get one wrong and still become a Kappa! I am dead serious. One wrong answer and your pledge process stops. One wrong answer and you are back to being regular Mike on Ahpla's campus. One wrong answer and you try again next year and you start from day one. You better take these questions as serious as anything you have ever taken in your entire life! Now are you ready!

(MIKE yells.)

MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir! I won't let you down! I won't get any wrong!

(XAVIER smiles.)

ARNOLD - Yeah baby! You better get pumped yo! That's what I'm talkin' about! Yo! Yo!
GREGG - Alright.

(Everyone quiets down and waits for GREGG's next words.)

GREGG - Brothers...it's time.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

JASON and WILLIE are talking about THERESA pledging Delta Sigma Theta and JASON is about to admit to WILLIE that he and THERESA shared a kiss.






WILLIE - When Theresa crosses, you will have time to spend with the both of us, together. Then it will clear up any suspicions that you may still have about her liking you. If she spends enough time with us, she will see that our feelings for each other are genuine and she'll respect that. We'll be sorors. Ya know?

(silence)

WILLIE - Jason!
JASON - Huh?
WILLIE - What is wrong with you? You haven't been listening to me at all! What is your problem?
JASON - Willie...

(silence)

JASON - Willie, I have something to tell you about the girl you are about to
put on line.
WILLIE - Huh?
JASON - Theresa. I have something to tell you about Theresa.

(JASON hands his head.)

WILLIE - What do you have to tell me, sweetie?
JASON - Well...it's just...ya see...

(The telephone rings.)

WILLIE - Hold on a minute, boo.
JASON thinks - Just say it! Just say it stupid!
WILLIE - Hello.
THERESA - Willie this is Theresa. I need to talk to you. Do you have a minute?
WILLIE - Um...
THERESA - Please Willie, I have been calling all of the Delt...I mean, all of the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated and none of them will give me two seconds of their time. I am really worried that I didn't make line or something. Why is everyone ignoring me?

(WILLIE smiles.)

WILLIE thinks - I see sorors are doing a good job.
WILLIE - Hold on.

(WILLIE uses her hand to cover the phone. She turns to JASON.)

WILLIE - Can you give me a second?
JASON - Uh...sure. I'll be in the other room.

(WILLIE smiles.)

WILLIE - Thanks.

(JASON walks into the bedroom and closes the door behind himself.)

JASON thinks - I am so stupid! I have a good woman, a real good woman and I am about to mess it up! Why did I let that girl kiss me! Why did kiss her back!

(JASON walks over to the wall where this is a picture of him and WILLIE.)

JASON thinks - I am so stupid! I need to just say it! Just say it! Willie honey, I am sorry but...but I just kissed Theresa. I didn't mean it and it didn't mean anything to me! I know it didn't. But the fact is, Theresa still likes me. I know she does.

(JASON sits on the bed.)

JASON thinks - I need to just say it. Just say it! Just say it!

(WILLIE walks into the bedroom and JASON immediately stands up.)

WILLIE - Hey. I'm done on the phone.
JASON - Oh...okay.
WILLIE - Man, this is so funny. This time of year is always funny. Ya know?
JASON - Unless you are on the other side of the fence. Don't forget, I just crossed so I remember how it feels.
WILLIE - Oh yeah.
JASON - You oldheads tend to forget.
WILLIE - Who you callin' old! I'll kick your young butt!

(WILLIE jumps on JASON and he falls back onto the bed. She falls on top of
him.)

JASON - Girl you crazy! Ha ha ha ha!
WILLIE - Whatever boy!

(WILLIE kisses JASON.)

WILLIE - Oh wait, wasn't there something you were going to tell me?
JASON thinks - Just say it! Just say it!

(silence)

JASON - Uh naw, don't worry about it.
WILLIE - Oh okay.

(WILLIE rolls off of JASON and lies on her back next to him.)

WILLIE - You know what?
JASON - What's that?
WILLIE - I'm excited. It will be good to hit the campus with some new girls.

DENICE
- You know what we need? Some new girls.
SALEEMA - Hold your horses neo. Our interest meeting is not too far off. But
we have to do things in order. Our service comes first.
DENICE - I know, I know. But still.

(SALEEMA laughs.)

SALEEMA - Do you suggest we stop some of our community outreach to pledge
some girls?
DENICE - Naw, I ain't sayin' all that. It just would be nice to have some
little babies to teach.
SALEEMA - Yeah I hear ya.
DENICE - Well anyway, let me go girl. I got some homework to do.
SALEEMA - Aight D, I'll talk to you later.
DENICE - Okay bye.

(DENICE hangs up.)

DENICE thinks - Now, where was I?

(There is a knock on her door.)

DENICE - Good grief who is this?

(DENICE goes to the door and opens it.)

DENICE - Hey Brendon, what's up man?

(BRENDON doesn't speak, he just walks in.)

DENICE - What's wrong with you?
BRENDON - It's Brandon! He pissed me off and I'm like forget it man! Whatever!
DENICE - What are you talking about?
BRENDON - I saw him at the crib with the Sigmas and his line brothers! I try to help him because they are about to kick his butt, and he turns on me! I knew this was gonna happen! He's lettin' this pledging thing go to his head!
DENICE - What? Oh come on, Brendon.
BRENDON - Naw Denice, I'm serious! I knew this was gonna happen! Well you know what? Forget him and forget them! I don't need him and I certainly don't need them!
DENICE - But he needs you.
BRENDON - What?
DENICE - He needs you right now. He is going through a very difficult time and he doesn't need for you to be a hater. He needs your support now more than ever. Think about if it were you.
BRENDON - If it were me, I wouldn't turn on my own brother.
DENICE - Brendon listen, you need to...
BRENDON - No, I ain't got no love for Brandon right now! He can be a Sigma all he wants and do his thing! More power to him! But I ain't got no love for him!

(The telephone rings.)

DENICE - Brendon sit down and calm yourself.

(DENICE answers the phone.)

BRENDON thinks - Man, forget them! I ain't trippin'!

(DENICE screams.)

DENICE - What! Oh no!
BRENDON - What? What's the matter?
DENICE - Brandon has been in a car accident!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

CANDACE has invited JERREL over to view CHRISTIAN's video tape. The tape contains a confession from DR. ALEX JEFFERSON about his affair with BREANNA.






JERREL thinks - I actually am kinda hungry. I wonder if Candace took my joke
seriously. I hope so, because a brother could use some home cookin' right
about now. Ha ha ha.

(JERREL pulls up in front of Whiteside Plaza. He pulls out his cell phone.)

CANDACE - Hello?
JERREL - Hey Candace, it's Jerrel. I'm out in front of the plaza now.
CANDACE - Okay. Come on up, I am in room 922. In the first building.
JERREL - Oh okay. So 922?
CANDACE - Yep.
JERREL - I'm on my way up.
CANDACE - Okay hurry.
JERREL - What's the rush? You happy to see me?
CANDACE - It's just important.
JERREL - Okay, be there in a second.
JERREL thinks - I wonder what that is all about.

(JERREL gets out of his car and enters the dorm. He walks into building one
and walks to the elevator.)

JERREL thinks - What time is it?

(He glances at his watch.)

JERREL thinks - Gotta make sure I get back before McDonald's closes.

(JERREL takes the elevator to the ninth floor and gets off.)

JERREL thinks - Uh...oh the numbers are going down. Must be this way.

(JERREL gets to CANDACE's door and knocks. She opens.)

CANDACE - Thanks for coming on such short notice Jerrel.
JERREL - Anytime. Um, what seems to be the problem?
CANDACE - Come on in and have a seat.

(She lets him in.)

JERREL - Are you alright?
CANDACE - Yeah, I'm okay. I just have something to show you.
JERREL - Alright, I love surprises.
CANDACE - You might not like this one. Check this out.

(CANDACE grabs the remote and presses play.)

ALEX - Oh you tease!
CHRISTIAN - So how are you maintaining? A lot has happened.
ALEX - Yeah, a lot has. It has really been hard. Hard on me. I haven't seen the kids. Stace won't let me see them.
CHRISTIAN - Really?
ALEX - Not at all. She is really trippin'.
JERREL - Is that...
CANDACE - Yes. Dr. Alex Jefferson.
JERREL - From the psychology department?
CANDACE - Yes.
JERREL - What is this?
CANDACE - Just listen to the rest.

(JERREL sits forward and watches the tape.)

CHRISTIAN - So tell me again, exactly how did this whole thing happen Alex?
ALEX - I told you, I mean, I am not in love with Stacie.
CHRISTIAN - But why didn't you go to her and tell her? Then you two could
have split on amicable terms.
ALEX - Because she isn't hearing that. She just had two babies for Christ sake.
CHRISTIAN - So you decide to get up on a student in the meantime? One of your
students at that? That makes a lot of sense.
ALEX - I don't want to talk about Breanna.

(JERREL turns and looks at CANDACE with a shocked look on his face. She looks
back at him, then back to the tape. He turns back to the tape as well.)

ALEX - It happens. You would be surprised how much it happens on Ahpla's
campus. Let alone some other schools.
CHRISTIAN - Can't you get in trouble for that?
ALEX - I could but honestly I won't. Teachers don't tell on teachers. It's a
rule. Like how cops do each other.
CHRISTIAN - I see.

(JERREL and CANDACE watch the rest of the tape. CANDACE then turns it off.)

CANDAC E- This is why I wanted you to come over. I know this is important and
I know that you work in administration.
JERREL - You better believe this is important. I can't believe this!
CANDACE - I didn't know what to do.
JERREL - Well I am so glad that you called me. I know exactly who to talk to.
CANDACE - You do?
JERREL - Oh yes I do. Thanks for calling me. Let me get that tape. I know what to do.
CANDACE - Okay.

(CANDACE takes it out of the VCR.)

JERREL - This is unbelievable.
CANDACE - Isn't it?
JERREL - Listen Candace...

(CANDACE hands him the tape.)

JERREL - ...you must not breathe a word of this to anybody. Not even your closest friends.
CANDACE - Okay.
JERREL - No I am serious. Not even your closest soror. Because everyone has
that one person that they feel that they can trust. If you tell your one person, then she tells her one person, the next thing you know this is all over campus. You understand?
CANDACE - Yeah I do, and I can see that happening. I see what you mean.
JERREL - It was very smart for you to call me on this. Dr. Jefferson will be dealt with properly. But we also need to be careful and protect the name and image of Ahpla University. Do you understand?
CANDACE - Oh definitely.
JERREL - Good. Okay um, let me go...

(JERREL looks at his watch.)

JERREL - ...I have a few phone calls to make.
CANDACE - I understand.
JERREL - The next time I stop by, maybe it can be for dinner.

(CANDACE smiles.)

CANDACE - Maybe.
JERREL - Well a maybe is at least better than a no. Ha ha ha ha.

(CANDACE walks JERREL to the door.)

JERREL - Thanks again Candace. I will take care of everything from here.
CANDACE - No problem. Thank you for taking care of it.

(JERREL smiles.)

JERREL - Take care.
CANDACE - Bye.

(CANDACE closes the door and JERREL walks back to the elevator.)

JERREL thinks - I cannot believe what is on this tape! Good Lord!

(JERREL leaves the elevator and walks out of the lobby. As he approaches his
car, he pulls out his cell phone and dials.)

JERREL - Hey Alex this is Jerrel. I got something to show you bruh and you
owe me big time for this one!

No comments: