Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 63

Sigma Gamma Rho soror JENNIFER is in pledgee ALEXIS' room.

JENNIFER - Stop lying! Ha ha ha ha! What do you think I'm stupid? Where were you, Alexis?

AURORA ALEXIS - I was running errands for Big Sister Gamma Ramma, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - Oooh, you liar! Ha ha ha ha ha! No, you weren't! If you were running errands, what the heck took you so long?

AURORA ALEXIS - I had several places to go big sister, and I had to run all over town.

JENNIFER - All over town? All over town! Oh my goodness, you deserve an Oscar for your acting Aurora! I swear!

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!

(JENNIFER walks to the window, looks outside, then turns back around to face ALEXIS.)

JENNIFER - So, list everywhere you went Aurora.

AURORA ALEXIS - Well, Big Sister J Rho, first I had to go to the supermarket?

JENNIFER - The supermarket?

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - They know I went to see Quinton! I know they must know!

JENNIFER - Which supermarket?

AURORA ALEXIS - The one furthest from campus, big sister.

JENNIFER - Why did you go to that one? You could have saved time by going to the one here.

AURORA ALEXIS - Because after the supermarket, I had to go to the video store and return a movie Big Sister Gamma Ramma rented. Since the video store is closer to the other supermarket, I thought it would be faster for me to go that route.

JENNIFER - Okay, continue.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Think! Think!

AURORA ALEXIS - Then I had to go to the cleaners, and then to the library.

JENNIFER - Uh, huh.

AURORA ALEXIS - Then I had to stop by Kinko's and pick up her report.

JENNIFER - Okay, then what?

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - She isn't buying this!

AURORA ALEXIS - On my way back I stopped off at The Plot to get the letters for the paddle that I have to make for her and for Big Sister Southern Gal.

AURORA ALEXIS - And for you, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - You know what Aurora? First of all, I still don't believe you. Secondly, you weren't even going to make me a paddle after I've been so nice to...

(There is a knock on the door.)

JENNIFER - Get the door.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Thank God!

(ALEXIS runs to the door and opens it.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Greetings Big Sister Southern Gal.

CANDACE - Hi Aurora.

(CANDACE comes in and ALEXIS closes the door behind her.)

CANDACE - What's going on, soror?

JENNIFER - Nothin'. Just listening to this lying pledge.

CANDACE - Lying? About what?

JENNIFER - She's trying to tell me where she was for that long period of time that we were looking for her.

CANDACE - Oh, yeah! Where was she?

(CANDACE turns around and faces ALEXIS.)

CANDACE - Where were you?

JENNIFER - She's saying that she was running errands for Paula. And it just took her that long.

CANDACE - Running errands for Paula?

(CANDACE is silent for a moment.)

CANDACE - Aurora.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Southern Gal.

CANDACE - Get on the phone and call my soror Rosalind. See if she is hungry and if she is, order some food for her.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Southern Gal.

CANDACE - Jenn, let me holla at you for a second.

JENNIFER - Okay.

(CANDACE and JENNIFER step into the bedroom while ALEXIS dials on the phone.)

JENNIFER - What's up?

CANDACE - Paula is really upset.

JENNIFER - She is?

CANDACE - Yeah. This thing with Bobby got her all twisted up.

JENNIFER - Dag!

CANDACE - But you know how she is. She's strong. She ain't takin' his calls and she ain't lettin' him back in.

JENNIFER - Well, that's good. Men are dogs!

CANDACE - Some.

(CANDACE smiles.)

JENNIFER - Well, is there anything that I can do for Paula?

CANDACE - I don't think so. She's cool. I told her to lay low for a while and not come through to talk to Alexis. I know how Paula can get pissed off in a hot second and I don't want her over here.

JENNIFER - Yeah, I hear that. She's like a volcano ready to explode on a pledgee half the time anyway. So now, I know it's bad.

CANDACE - Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'.

Meanwhile in the other room...

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, big sister, I got it. Chicken and broccoli, and fried rice. The combination. I got it.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - How in the world am I supposed to pay for this!

AURORA ALEXIS - Oh hold on big sister, I think I heard a knock on my door.

(ALEXIS opens the door.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Greetings, Big Sister Gamma Ramma!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta are with their pledgee SEAN.

SAIFA - Centaur Sean, you have been through many phases and aspects of your journey into Iota Phi Theta. The brothers have taught you history, team building, responsibility, manhood training, and most importantly brotherhood.

(CENTAUR SEAN stands at attention and listens to every word SAIFA says.)

SAIFA - As you have progressed and developed, the brotherhood has been pleased and looks upon you as a worthy candidate into our esteemed brotherhood. We feel proud and honored as you reach your final and most difficult steps toward Iota. If we didn't feel you were ready, we would not allow you to proceed. Is that clear?

CENTAUR SEAN - Yes, Big Brother The Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - Good.


(SAIFA turns toward RAY.)

SAIFA - Go ahead, Ray.

RAY - Thanks bro. Sean, you are fully aware of the founding of Iota Phi Theta. It was during the turbulent times of the civil rights era that our fraternity had its birth. It was the vision of the times -- A sign of the times. It was destined to be great, because it stems from great beginnings! In saying all that, you were given a civil rights icon to study. What is the name of the individual that you have been studying, Centaur?

CENTAUR SEAN - Medgar Evers, big brother.

RAY - Right. Medgar Evers. I know that by now, you have a fairly decent understanding of Medgar Evers, what he stood for, what he was trying to do, and why others saw him as such a threat that they murdered him. Is that correct, Centaur?

CENTAUR SEAN - Yes, Big Brother Brown Bomber!

RAY - Good. Well, why don't you begin by telling the brothers a little something about Medgar Evers.

CENTAUR SEAN - What would you like to know Big Brother?

RAY - Don't ask. Just tell us. Inform us. Educate us.

(SEAN starts right away.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Medgar Wiley Evers was born July 2, 1925, near Decatur, Mississippi; and attended school there until he was inducted into the army in 1943. After serving in Normandy, he attended Alcorn State, majoring in business administration. While at Alcorn, he was a member of the debate team, the college choir, and the football...

RAY - Okay. Stop right there.

(SEAN stops.)

RAY - Okay, if I wanted to hear an encyclopedia description, then I would go grab an encyclopedia and have Sam read it to me. Get to the nitty gritty, and give me some details on his life. Come on now; tell us how Medgar was able to bring it way back then!

CENTAUR SEAN - Okay. Basically this is how it went down. Medgar started to set up local chapters of the NAACP because that's what he believed in. He started to set up boycotts of gas stations that wouldn't let Black people use their restrooms.

RAY ? Yeah, now that's what I'm talkin' about. So how do you think he felt after he fought for the United States and then couldn't even take a piss in a gas station because some White dude thought he was a nigga?

CENTAUR SEAN - That just fueled his fire. It just made him more determined. It just made him want it all the more for himself, for his family, and for his people!

(RAY smiles.)

RAY - So is that how you feel about Iota? Like if even now, the brothers tried to deny you access into the fraternity, that you would do all within your power to get in?

CENTAUR SEAN - Iota Phi Theta fraternity is my goal. It is my heart's desire. Even the Bible says that God knows our heart's desires and will grant them accordingly. So no matter what, I will get it. I will get what I want, what I have worked hard for.

(SAIFA smiles at RAY who is still staring at SEAN.)

RAY - Okay. Continue.

CENTAUR SEAN - Just within the same theme that you were saying big brother, Medgar tried to get into the University of Mississippi's law school. And was denied, even though to deny him based on his race was already voted unconstitutional.

RAY - Uh, huh.

CENTAUR SEAN - Although he didn't get in, what he did get was appointed to the NAACP. That way he could see to it that no other person of color would ever be denied. Ever.

RAY - So, what happened?

CENTAUR SEAN - James Meredith.

RAY - Who's that?

CENTAUR SEAN - Medgar Evers helped James Meredith get into the school. By him not getting in, it fueled him to make change.

RAY - So James got in?

CENTAUR SEAN - Yes, Big Brother Brown Bomber.

RAY - So, what was the climate of the people around him at this point?

CENTAUR SEAN - This is when the hatred for Medgar Evers really kicked in. I'm sure that White folk back then were set in their racist ways and didn't want some uppity colored person coming in and telling them how to run their lives. So they started to hate him.

RAY - Can you imagine what it must have felt like to be Medgar Evers, Sean?

CENTAUR SEAN - I don't know big brother. I couldn't imagine.

(RAY stands up and begins to pace back and forth.)

RAY - Think about it Centaur. If you were Medgar Evers, you knew you had a task at hand -- an important task. But at the same time you're married. Thinking about the safety of your family, your home, yourself. What must that have been like?

(SEAN is thinking.)

RAY - Every time you see a White person, you don't know whether to trust them or guard yourself for the blow. I want you to get a feel for this era Sean, and an understanding and a feel for this man. Do you feel me?

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother Brown Bomber!

RAY - You get hate mail all the time. You probably have rocks fly through your window and into your living room. You don't know if you should drive your car, it might blow up when you put the key in the ignition!

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - Dag!

RAY - You're not sure if your food is poisoned. You have to watch your back as you walk into town. You wake up each day thanking God for a new day but not knowing in your heart if you will ever see another one. Isn't that deep, Sean?

CENTAUR SEAN - Yes, Big Brother! It really is!

RAY - I don't know, Sean. Sounds to me like Medgar went through hell. That's no joke huh, Centaur?

CENTAUR SEAN - No joke, big brother!

RAY - Going through hell. No joke!

CENTAUR SEAN - No joke, Big Brother Brown Bomber!

(RAY smiles as he glances at the rest of his frat brothers.)

RAY - Sean you have just been elevated to your last and final level of training. Welcome to hell week!

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - Oh shoot!

RAY - Your task...

(RAY stops smiling.)

RAY - ...you have to become Medgar Evers!
:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 3

MONA and CARYN are just walking into MONA's room.

CARYN - You got something to drink?

MONA - You know where the fridge is. Help yourself.

CARYN - Thanks.

(CARYN opens the fridge and MONA takes off her coat and tosses her mail on the table. She then checks her messages.)

MONA - That's weird.

(CARYN walks up to MONA drinking a soda.)

CARYN - What?

MONA - I haven't heard from Theresa in a while. She usually calls me on the regular -- Almost every day.

CARYN - She does? How?

MONA - She usually takes some time to break away from her big sisters and she calls me from a cell phone I gave her.

CARYN - You gave her a cell?

MONA - Just for while she is pledging. Her big sisters took hers.

CARYN - Oh. Hilarious.

MONA - So, I gave her one so she could keep in touch with me and fill me in on her pledge process.

CARYN - Cool.

MONA - Maybe I should call her now and see if she can talk.

CARYN - Yeah, go ahead. I haven't spoken to her butt in a long time. I wanna say, hello.

MONA - Okay.

(MONA picks up her phone and dials the number.)

THERESA whispers - Hello?

MONA - Hey Big T. What's up?

THERESA whispers - I can't talk now.

MONA - Your big sisters are around?

THERESA whispers - Well no, but Robin is right in the other room.

MONA - Okay, okay. Why haven't you called in a while, heffa?

THERESA whispers - Because...I'm pledging remember.

MONA - Girl, whatever. Look, can I hit you with something? It'll only take me a second to explain.

THERESA whispers - Okay but hurry up.

MONA - Okay, check this out. You're gonna love this!

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - Okay, I am rounding up all my girls. My closest dawgs for something real big. And you know I had to count you in.

THERESA whispers - Uh, huh.

MONA - We are gonna take this campus by storm, girl! Fo sho!

THERESA whispers - Uh, huh.

MONA - Here's the plan. I am going to initiate my own line into AKA, but mostly with my girls. So once my girls are a part of the organization, we can out-vote those other chicks. You know, PJ and them.

(silence)

MONA - So, what you think? Are you down?

THERESA whispers - Am I down with what?

MONA - Have you been paying attention to anything I've said? I'm bringing my closest girls into Alpha Kappa Alpha and I want you to be a part of it. What you think?

THERESA - Mona, in case you have forgotten, I am on line for Delta Sigma Theta. Hello!

MONA - Yeah, but you can drop. You ain't doin' that for the right reasons anyway.

THERESA - Says who?

MONA - Says you, heffa!

THERESA - Says me?

MONA - You know good and well that the only reason you are remotely interested in DST is because of Jason. You said it yourself.

THERESA - That may have been my motivating factor before, but it isn't like that anymore.

MONA - What?

THERESA - Mona, I am pledging Delta Sigma Theta for the sisterhood.

MONA - The sisterhood? I'm your sister.

THERESA - Yeah and you will always be. I'll always be your girl. But the bond that I am growing to love that is Delta is much deeper than that.

MONA - The bond that you are growing to love?

THERESA - Maybe you don't understand Mona because you didn't...well you never...well, let me not go there.

MONA - Yeah, let's not go there!

THERESA - But let's just say that I have a new appreciation for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. I'm happy that I've decided to do this, even though my reasoning was shallow in the beginning.

MONA - Fine, Theresa! Be a red! But I didn't appreciate that comment that you almost made about me not pledging!

THERESA - I didn't even say that.

MONA - But, you thunk it!

THERESA - Thunk? Oh shoot! Robin is coming back! I gotta go!

MONA - Fine, well just see if you ever hear...

(CLICK)

MONA - Hello? Theresa?

CARYN - Dag, what was that all about?

MONA - Count Theresa out! Whatever! I ain't trippin off her!

(MONA hangs the phone up and walks over and picks up her mail.)

CARYN - She doesn't want to drop off the Delta line and join AKA?

MONA - Naw man. She's whining about...hey, what's this?

(A particular envelope catches MONA's attention.)

CARYN - What? What is it?

MONA - It's an envelope. A letter from one of my sorors.

CARYN - Oh. Well what's so strange about that?

MONA - Because it's from...

(MONA starts to open the envelope.)

MONA - ...Soror Bergen!

No comments: