Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 17

The verdict is in in the case of Phi Beta Sigma versus CRESCENT MIRI.


HAYDEN - Has the jury reached its verdict?
TROY - Yes, your honor.
HAYDEN - Good. Will the defendant please rise?

(As CRESCENT MIRI stands, all the Crescents stand with him.)

HAYDEN thinks - Good, they're learning.

(CURT smiles to himself.)

HAYDEN - The jury has reached its verdict in the case of Phi Beta Sigma vs. Crescent Miri. Jury, what is your verdict?
TROY - We the jury find the defendant Crescent Miri...

(silence)

(MIRI holds his breath.)

MIRI thinks - I want to be a Sigma! I want to be an S...I...G...M...A! I want
to be a Sigma! I want to be an S...I...G...M...A! I want to be a...
TROY - ...not guilty.
MIRI thinks - Yes! Yes! Yes!
CURT - Pledgees!
CRESCENTS - Yes dean of pledgees!
CURT - Get into the kitchen and make your big brothers and big sisters
something to eat.

(The line quickly lines up as CRESCENT MIRI jumps into place. They march into
the kitchen.)

CRESCENT SETH - Miri! Congratulations line brother! I am so happy!
CRESCENT MIRI - Thank you!

(All the Crescents huddle up for a group hug.)

CRESCENT MIRI - Thanks guys! Thanks! But the real thanks goes to my main man
Calvin! Without him, I wouldn't be here and I wouldn't make Sigma! Thank you!
CRESCENT CALVIN - My pleasure...my brother.

(CRESCENT CALVIN and CRESCENT MIRI hug. The kitchen door opens.)

TROY - What's going on in here! Y'all havin' a prayer meeting or something?
Get to work!

(The Crescents jump to work by opening the fridge and turning on the stove.
They start pulling out pots and pans and looking busy.)

TROY - Take the orders from the big sisters! I'm gonna go easy on you fools. I just want a pizza with sausage, pepperoni, anchovies, olives, peppers, extra cheese, and...uh...some shrimp lo mein. Also get me a whopper from Burger King.
CRESCENT AHMAD thinks - Dag!
TROY - And don't mess up my order!

(TROY leaves the kitchen laughing as DENICE walks in.)

DENICE - Uh...Crescent Brandon.

(CRESCENT BRANDON jumps to attention.)

CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes Big Sister Resource!
DENICE - Come with me.

(DENICE walks out of the kitchen and CRESCENT BRANDON follows her. He follows her past the big brothers who are watching television. They go upstairs into
an empty room and close the door.)

DENICE - Brandon, what's going on with you? You are staring into space and looking like you are in another world. And then you say to me that you have to talk to me about something urgent. What's the matter?

(silence)

DENICE - Brandon!
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes Big Sist...
DENICE - Brandon, forget all that! This is Denice talking. Denice your friend.
DENICE thinks - Denice who loves you!
DENICE - What in the world is wrong with you?

(CRESCENT BRANDON sits on the end of the bed and drops his head into his
hands.)

DENICE - Brandon what's the matter?
CRESCENT BRANDON - I am on line! I am pledging!
DENICE - That's what's wrong with you? You have been on line for a while now. You should be used to it. I know it is hard, pledging is the hardest thing I ever did, but you have to...
CRESCENT BRANDON - No, I'm not talking about that Denice! I'm talking about how I am on line and...and...
DENICE - And what?
CRESCENT BRANDON - ...and Brendon isn't.
DENICE - Brendon isn't?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Brendon didn't make line for Kappa.
DENICE - He didn't? How do you know?
CRESCENT BRANDON - I just know Denice. I know.
DENICE - Brandon, you haven't spoken to Bren. I know you haven't because he is bugging me all the time about talking to you. So how do you know?
CRESCENT BRANDON - I know Denice. People always joke us about knowing each other because we are twins. But that is no joke. I feel it in my spirit. I feel it in my heart. Denice there have been times where I would break down and cry because I know he is crying. I know him. I can feel his pain and I know he can feel mine. He didn't make line and it has crushed him.
DENICE - Wow, Brandon. I am sorry for him too but you can't do anything about that now. You have to stop carrying Brendon. You are always running to his rescue and you have to live your own life, and he has to live his.

(CRESCENT BRANDON looks away.)

DENICE - Brandon, you protect him like you are his older brother or something.
CRESCENT BRANDON - I am.
DENICE - By what? Three minutes? Come on Brandon.
CRESCENT BRANDON - But Denice...
DENICE - Shhhh.

(DENICE walks over and puts her hand on BRANDON's shoulder. He stands up.)

DENICE - Brandon, you are pledging Phi Beta Sigma. The greatest fraternity in the world. This is a difficult process, but it is one you will remember for the rest of your life. Don't waste this time away worrying about something you cannot control or change. You worry about being a good Crescent, and I will go and talk to Brendon.
CRESCENT BRANDON - You will?
DENICE - Yeah, I will.
CRESCENT BRANDON - Thank you Denice.
DENICE - Don't worry about it, Brendon is like a brother to me too. So I will go and see him when I get back to campus.

(They hug.)

DENICE thinks - I love you Brandon.

(As they let go, they kiss each other. And begin to kiss passionately.)

DENICE thinks - Oh my God.

(DENICE's heart starts to pound and she caresses the back of BRANDON's head.
The door opens and CURT walks in.)

CURT - Ahem!

(DENICE and CRESCENT BRANDON jump back from one another.)

DENICE - Oh...uh...we were just...
CURT - Don't worry about it soror. I need a few moments alone with the Crescent though.
DENICE - Sure. Uh...Crescent remember what I said.
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes Big Sister Resource.

(DENICE leaves and CURT closes the door behind her.)

CURT - You okay?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes dean of pledgees!
CURT - Good...good.

(silence)

CURT - So what's going on next?
CRESCENT BRANDON - We are planning to sneak away.
CURT - Really? Sneak away and go where?
CRESCENT BRANDON - To Ahpla's campus. That way we can work on some of the assignments that we have without any interruptions.
CURT - When do y'all plan to do that? And how in the world are y'all planning
to get away?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Next week. And we are trying to convince the big sisters
to kidnap us for a night.
CURT - The Zetas...hmmm that's smart I must admit. Okay Crescent Brandon, go back down and help your line brothers prepare the meal.
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes dean of pledgees!

(CRESCENT BRANDON leaves as HAYDEN walks in.)

HAYDEN - What's up man? He still telling you everything?
CURT - Yep! And wait til you hear what they got planned for next week! But we'll have a surprise for them!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

KATRICE and APRIL have come to visit XAVIER and have surprised him with their lingerie and chocolate covered strawberries. KATRICE answers a knock at
XAVIER's door.




KATRICE - I'll get the door. You stay put mister pretty boy.

(XAVIER laughs.)

XAVIER - Okay cool.
XAVIER thinks - I hope this isn't Mike. He shouldn't be finished with Gregg this early.

(KATRICE goes to answer the door.)

XAVIER thinks - I really hope this isn't Mike with Gregg! Gregg would lose his mind if he saw this! Ha ha ha!

(KATRICE opens the door.)

KATRICE - Oh uh...hey Donna.
DONNA - Katrice? What are you doing here?

(KATRICE remembers APRIL in the room behind her with XAVIER. She steps into
the hallway.)

DONNA - What are you doing here? And what in the world do you have on?

(KATRICE then looks down and remembers what she is wearing.)

DONNA - Are you and Xavier...
KATRICE - Oh no. Come on now girl, you know how I roll.
DONNA - Then what's the deal?
KATRICE - This is nothing but a joke for a friend. You know, a tease game with Xavier. It ain't goin' nowhere. But I should be asking you, where have you been? You forgot my phone number or something?
DONNA - Naw, I've been...uh...

(DONNA searches for excuses, not realizing that KATRICE has turned the tables on the conversation.)

DONNA ...I've been rather busy. With schoolwork and everything. You know how it is.
KATRICE - Yeah, whatever.
DONNA - I'm serious Katrice. But you know I've been thinking about you.
KATRICE - Don't play games with me Donna.

(DONNA closes the small gap between herself and KATRICE.)

DONNA - Oh I am very serious. Just looking at you in this crazy get-up that you have on...uh uh uh!

(KATRICE smiles.)

DONNA - Listen, if you are finished playing games with Z, why don't you come
over to my place. I got some games for ya.
XAVIER - Hey April, what happened to Katrice? Who was at the door? She has been gone for like 10 minutes already.
APRIL - Actually she has been gone for longer than that. I guess time flies when you're havin' fun, huh baby? You are losing track of time. Hee hee. I'm sure Katrice chased away whoever was at your door. Probably some Kappa
wannabee.
XAVIER thinks - I hope not!

(XAVIER smiles.)

APRIL - Now, where were we? Oh yeah, you were about to beg me for another strawberry.
XAVIER - Beg you?

(XAVIER laughs.)

APRIL - Yep! You better beg or you get no treat!
XAVIER - Oh is that so? Ha ha ha!

(The telephone rings.)

APRIL - Man! Can't I ever get any privacy?
XAVIER - Ha ha ha, don't worry. I will get rid of whomever it is.

(XAVIER gets up and answers the phone. He looks back at APRIL who sits down to wait. XAVIER smiles to himself.)

XAVIER thinks - This girl is crazy! What in the world am I doing?
XAVIER - Hello?
SHAREESA - Hey Xavier, what's up?
XAVIER thinks - Oh shoot!
XAVIER - Hey...Shareesa...how are you?
APRIL thinks - Shareesa?
SHAREESA - I am good Xavier. What you up to?
XAVIER - Nothing...just chillin'.
SHAREESA - Is Gregg over at your place?
XAVIER - Oh no, he left here a little while ago. But I know he is still with our boy.
SHAREESA - Oh that's right, he did mention that he would be caught up with
him. I forgot. Okay then. So what's new?

(XAVIER glances back at APRIL who is now looking at him.)

XAVIER - Uh...Shareesa, I'm kinda busy at the moment. Can I call you back or something?
SHAREESA - Oh I'm sorry, Xavier. Well just tell Gregg to call me when he is done okay?
XAVIER thinks - Dag!
XAVIER - Yeah, I will. Sure.
SHAREESA - Bye Xavier.
XAVIER - Bye Shareesa.
XAVIER thinks - Dag! Dag! Dag!

(XAVIER hangs up and walks back over to the couch.)

XAVIER - Sorry 'bout that. Usually my phone never rings.
APRIL - So can we chill now with no more interruptions?
XAVIER - Yes. We can chill with no more...

(The telephone rings and they both look at it. APRIL pouts.)

XAVIER - Okay, let me just see who this is. I promise I won't be long and you can finish feeding me. Ha ha ha.
APRIL - Hurry up Z, get rid of whoever it is.
XAVIER - Okay, one second.

(XAVIER answers.)

XAVIER - Hello?
GREGG - Z, we got an emergency with Mike! I need you here right now!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

DR. ALEX JEFFERSON is in his classroom, completing his morning lecture.



ALEX - Okay, that's about all the time that we have today. So...

(The students start to put their books away and get up to leave.)

ALEX - Make sure you read the following chapter and do the questions for the new lecture in your journal. Have a good day everybody.

(Students begin to leave and converse amongst themselves. ALEX starts to collect his paperwork.)

STUDENT - Dr. Jefferson?

(ALEX looks up.)

ALEX - Yes John.
STUDENT - How much will the next paper count toward our final grade?
ALEX - You don't have to worry about that John. The next one is actually for some students that need a few points toward their final grade. The borderline students. Your exam scores have been pretty strong, so I wouldn't worry.
STUDENT - Oh thanks. Just checking.
ALEX - No problem.

(JOHN turns to leave and another student approaches.)

ALEX - Hey Kim, what can I do for you?
KIM - Dr. Jefferson I wanted to tell you that I am going to miss your next lecture. I had a death in my family and I have to travel home. I am leaving tonight.
ALEX - Oh I am sorry to hear that. Are you okay?
KIM - Yes, thank you. It was my father's aunt. She was very old and took ill. But she lived a good life. I know she is in a better place now.
ALEX - Yes, she is.
KIM - I just wanted to ask you if there is anything I should read in advance
while I'm away. So I can keep up with the rest of the class.
ALEX - Uh yeah...sure. Why don't you go ahead and read two chapters then. That is what I am going to assign after the next class. So if you miss one class, you won't fall behind.
KIM - Alright. Thanks Dr. Jefferson.
ALEX - Sure. And my prayers will be with you and your family Kim.
KIM - Thank you sir.

(KIM turns and leaves. The room is now empty and ALEX starts putting his books and papers into his briefcase.)

ALEX thinks - Maybe I will run to the lounge and have a cup of coffee before my next lecture. I am still kinda tired from not getting much sleep.

(There is a knock on the door.)

ALEX thinks - Must be another student.
ALEX - Come in.

(STACIE enters the classroom.)

ALEX thinks - Stacie!

(ALEX drops his papers to the floor as he looks at his wife.)

ALEX - Stacie...what are you doing here?
STACIE - Hello Alex.

(Silence as they stare at each other.)

ALEX - It's...it's good to see you Stacie.

(STACIE walks over.)

STACIE - Alex, I need for you to sign these papers and send them back to me. I'm sure you may need your lawyer to look over them with you.

(STACIE puts a stack of papers on ALEX's desk.)

ALEX - Divorce papers?

(silence)

ALEX - Stacie...sit down for a moment.
STACIE - Alex, I don't have time for...
ALEX - Please. Please just sit down.

(STACIE sits in one of the student's seats.)

ALEX - Stacie, I'm not trying to go through a long speech and try and win you back. Because I know that you have gone over in your mind all the reasons why you should turn me down if I do. And you are ready to shoot them back at me.

(STACIE doesn't respond. She just looks back at him.)

ALEX - But what I will do is ask you this. Have you ever been scared?
STACIE - Huh?
ALEX - Have you ever been scared? I mean really scared?
STACIE - Alex...
ALEX - Stacie, I am very serious. Have you ever been scared?
STACIE - Of course I have. Why?
ALEX - I have too. I can tell you about all the times that I was scared when I was little. I can tell you about the time when me and my brother got lost in Disneyland. I was scared to death. I can tell you about the time I had a gun pointed in my face in the street several years ago. I can go on and on and so could you.
STACIE - So what is your point?
ALEX - I have never felt as scared as I do now. In my life. Stacie, you brought me to another level in my life. Somewhere where I was uncomfortable because I was unfamiliar. And now I have a family. A family that I love dearly. And now because of my stupidity, my utter stupidity, I am about to lose my family. Lose my family, Stacie. And I am scared.

(silence)

ALEX - I am scared of losing my family. Stacie you are my only friend. My colleagues aren't my friends. I don't have frat brothers like you have sorority sisters. And my brother is so caught up in his life and travels, that we rarely talk. I mean really talk.

(ALEX pauses as he looks away.)

ALEX - Stacie look. I know what I did was wrong. And there is no way for me to change that, correct that, or be forgiven for that. So I understand what it is you have to do. So I will take these papers, give them to my lawyer, and sign wherever it is you want me to sign.

(STACIE looks down.)

ALEX - But I just wanted a moment to tell you that I don't want to lose my family. I am scared of losing my family. You and the twins are all that I have. If you need a divorce, I understand...

(They look in each other's eyes.)

ALEX - But you are not going to lose me as a best friend and as a father to our children.

(silence)

(STACIE stands up and walks toward the desk.)

STACIE - Alex, I am scared too. I didn't plan to go on this journey alone. I planned for it to be us. You and me for the rest of our lives. I had planned for us to see our children and grandchildren grow up. And I...

(STACIE pauses.)

STACIE - Alex I am scared too.

(STACIE starts to get emotional.)

STACIE thinks - Oh God! I can't let him see me cry!
STACIE - I will leave you with these papers Alex. Do what you have to do.

(STACIE turns to leave as ALEX picks the papers up off the floor. As STACIE reaches the door to leave, ALEX calls her.)

ALEX - Stacie...

(STACIE stops and turns back around. She has tears in her eyes. ALEX walks from around the desk holding the divorce papers. He walks up to STACIE.)

ALEX - Stacie...I'm sorr...

(ALEX puts his hands on STACIE's shoulders and slowly pulls her close to him. She resists but slowly lifts her arms to return his embrace.)

ALEX - Baby I'm so sorry.

(ALEX and STACIE hold each other tightly as STACIE begins to cry onto ALEX's
shoulder.)

No comments: