Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 31

SEAN is on his way to DR. MWATSUMI's office. The doctor has asked SEAN to stop by to discuss his disrespecting Iota Phi Theta.

SEAN thinks - I hope Dr. Mwatsumi isn't real mad at me. Dag, that would be messed up.

(SEAN gets off the shuttle bus and starts to walk on campus.)

SEAN thinks - I can't believe dad! That is the amazing part. What in the world did the doctor say to him to make him change his mind? Maybe he can talk to the Iotas and get them to reconsider! That would be off the chain!

(SEAN is walking across the yard and spots an old friend.)

SEAN thinks - Oh my God! I don't believe it!
SEAN - Ty!

(TY turns around.)

TY- Sean! What's up man!
SEAN - Oh my God! You made it!

(SEAN looks at the Omega Psi Phi jacket that TY is wearing.)

TY - Yeah man, I finally crossed!
SEAN - Congratulations man! Is this your jacket?
TY - Naw, this is my dean's jacket. Mine is being worked on now.
SEAN - Cool man! You wear it well! It looks good on you!
TY - Thanks!
SEAN - So what's your line name?

(TY laughs.)

TY - I thought it was going to be Snoop Puppy Pup! But luckily the bruhs were just joking with me. They say that I bark like a puppy! Ha ha ha!
SEAN - That's funny!
TY - But it's AcQUEsation.
SEAN - Cool!
TY- Alias Omega Over Easy. That's an egg joke.
SEAN - Can't tell me that story huh?
TY - You don't want to know.
SEAN - Ha ha ha! Do you get a name for your line if it is just one of you who pledged?
TY- Oh yeah. It's O.L.D.Q.O.G.D.Q. It stands for One Lone Dog for Que, One Giant Dog for Quekind.
SEAN - Ha ha ha ha ha! That's cool man. Well congratulations again.
TY- Thanks Sean! What have you been up to man?
SEAN - Nothing much, just trying to do my thing one of these days you know what I'm sayin'?
TY- I hear ya man. So you trying to do something too?
SEAN - We'll see.
TY - Good luck to ya man. It's hard but worth it.
SEAN - I hear ya. And you have only been in for a few days and you can say that huh?
TY - Man I am just so glad it's over. But I am glad I did it man. Really.
SEAN - I am happy for you.
TY - So where you headed off to now?
SEAN - I'm off to see Dr. Mwatsumi. I have a meeting with him.
TY - Aight then, I'll talk to ya later.
SEAN - Take care.

(SEAN leaves and walks toward DR. MWATSUMI's office.)

SEAN thinks - Dag, I gotta go greek now! I am so jealous!

(SEAN gets to the building and decides to take the stairs up because there is a crowd in the elevator.)

SEAN thinks - I really hope Dr. Mwatsumi is not still angry with me. And I pray that the brothers have reconsidered! I really want to do this. It took me so long to get my father's approval.

(SEAN gets to the second floor and goes to DR. MWATSUMI's office.)

SEAN - Hi. Is the doctor in?
RECEPTIONIST - Yes, but he has someone in with him now. Hold on.

(She calls in.)

RECEPTIONIST - Doctor, there is a student here to see you.

(She covers the phone.)

RECEPTIONIST - What is your name again?
SEAN - Sean.
RECEPTIONIST - Sean is here to see you sir. Oh okay.

(She hangs up.)

RECEPTIONIST - He said that you can go right in.
SEAN - Even though he has a guest in with him now?
RECEPTIONIST - I guess it's okay.
SEAN - Okay thanks.

(SEAN walks past her desk and opens DR. MWATSUMI's door.)

SEAN thinks - I need to go in as humble and as apologetic as possible.

(SEAN walks into the office and sees DR. MWATSUMI sitting at his desk with his head buried in his hands.)

SEAN - Hello...uh...Dr. Mwa...oh Saifa! What are you doing here?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

SHAREESA has just finished cooking and feeding GREGG and the other Kappas for MIKE's going over party. Everyone is leaving now.

(DAVE hugs SHAREESA.)

DAVE - It was good to see you again Shareesa.
SHAREESA - You too Dave. Take care. Oh, aren't you getting married soon?
DAVE - Yeah, next year.
SHAREESA - That's great! I remember Gregg showing me the invitation.
DAVE - Yeah. What's up with you two? Wedding bells?
SHAREESA - Who knows. He has been acting real mushy lately though. But don't tell him I told you that!

(DAVE laughs.)

APRIL - Hey Xavier.

(XAVIER turns around.)

XAVIER - Oh, what's up girl.
APRIL - What are you about to get into?
XAVIER - Nothing much. I'm supposed to write another article for the paper this week but I don't feel like it right now. You know how it is after you eat! Ha ha ha!
APRIL - Yeah. Ha ha.
XAVIER - So I'm probably just going home. What about you?
APRIL - Nothing planned.
XAVIER - You want me to walk you back to the towers?
APRIL thinks - Yes!
APRIL - It's not out of your way is it?
XAVIER - Naw, it would be my pleasure. Hold on, let me grab my jacket.
APRIL thinks - Yes! Yes!

(APRIL walks over to SHAREESA and whispers.)

APRIL whispers - Hey girl, Xavier is walking me home.

(APRIL smiles.)

SHAREESA - He is? Cool girl, do your thing.
APRIL - I'll give you an update tomorrow.
SHAREESA thinks - I don't know if I want to hear it.
XAVIER - You ready?
APRIL - Yeah.

(APRIL and XAVIER leave.)

APRIL - So what's been going on Z? I haven't spoken to you in weeks.
XAVIER - Yeah, it's been hectic trying to bring Mike in. I thought that it would be easier because we only had one pledge. But that turned out to be more work than if we had a big line.
APRIL - Really?
XAVIER - Yeah, crazy. I'm glad it's over.
APRIL - I'm sure he's glad it's over too. Hee hee hee.
XAVIER - Oh I'm very sure he is overjoyed! We really gave him a hard way. He held his own though.
APRIL - That's good.

(silence)

APRIL thinks - Say something stupid! I'm so stupid!
APRIL - So how are things at the paper?
APRIL thinks - That was so dumb!
XAVIER- Things are cool. Same stuff, different day. I just write whatever they put in front of me. Ya know?
APRIL - Oh okay.

(silence)

APRIL - So...um...it's good to see some of your chapter brothers that have graduated. I haven't seen some of them since when I first crossed.
XAVIER - Yeah. It's good to see Dave, Arnold and Keith. And all the rest of the guys too. We're gonna be on the yard tomorrow for Mike.
APRIL - Cool! I'll be there!

(They arrive at the Ivy Towers.)

APRIL - If you're not busy, you should come up for a minute.
XAVIER - That's cool. Is Octavia here?
APRIL - Naw, she went to the library. You know how she is.
XAVIER - Dag, at this hour?
APRIL - Senior comprehensives. She's getting ready to take them.
XAVIER - Oh okay.

(APRIL and XAVIER go into the Ivy Towers and up to APRIL's room.)

APRIL - Have a seat. Make yourself at home.
XAVIER - Okay thanks.

(They sit down together.)

APRIL thinks - Make conversation! Make conversation!
APRIL - So...uh...

(silence)

(XAVIER looks at his watch.)

APRIL thinks - Say something! He looks like he wants to leave!
APRIL - So...we're here.

(silence)

XAVIER - You know April, maybe I should be heading home. I didn't mean to be out so late and I don't want to keep you up.
APRIL - Xavier, what is it?
XAVIER - What is what?
APRIL - I can't seem to get through to you. I'll be honest. I've been trying to break in but you won't let me. I keep trying and you always seem so distant around me. Is it that you don't like me because if that is the case, I underst...
XAVIER - No April, it isn't that. It isn't that at all.
APRIL - Then what is it? Why don't you let me in? What is holding you back?

(silence)

APRIL- Well?

(XAVIER stands up and turns to face APRIL.)

XAVIER - April, you are a great person. And I do like you. I do. But it's just that...

(silence)

XAVIER - ...it's just...

(APRIL stands up as well.)

APRIL - Xavier, we are friends regardless. Whatever it is, you can tell me. Whether we are together the way that I want us to be or not, we are always friends. So you can feel free to tell me.
XAVIER - Thank you April.

(XAVIER smiles).

XAVIER - Well here is the deal. See, I also have feelings for...


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

MIRI is at home resting from the car accident.

MIRI - Yes Big Brother Blue Tang Clan, I'm feeling okay big brother.
BIG BROTHER BLUE TANG CLAN - You don't have to call me that right now. Just call me Victor okay?
MIRI - Yes Big Broth...
VICTOR - Nevermind nevermind. We got those names so engraved in yall's minds that you'll probably never use my real name! Ha ha ha ha! So you hurt your side or something I heard?
MIRI - Yes big brother. When we hit the tree, I went into the glove compartment. It opened and jammed me in the side pretty bad.
VICTOR - Was there an air bag?
MIRI - Yeah but all it did was hit me in the head and give me a headache!

(VICTOR laughs.)

VICTOR - Not trying to laugh at you man.
MIRI - I understand Big Brother Blue Tang Clan.
VICTOR - Well look man, you have my number. Call me if you need anything, and I mean that.
MIRI - Thank you Big Brother Blue Tang Clan.
VICTOR - And I'll probably stop by Ahpla to come and see you tomorrow.
MIRI - Okay.
VICTOR - Can I bring you anything?
MIRI - No, I'm okay.
VICTOR - You'd better take advantage of this niceness now. You know I ain't usually this nice to a Crescent.
MIRI - Well how about Burger King. The new chicken whopper.
VICTOR - You got it man. See ya tomorrow.
MIRI - Bye.

(They hang up.)

MIRI thinks - I'm glad I took advantage of that! He has never been that nice!

(MIRI dials.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - This is Calvin. Leave a message.
MIRI - Crescent, pick up. It's Miri.
CALVIN - Yo Miri, what's up?
MIRI - Chillin'.
CALVIN - How you feelin man?
MIRI - I'm alright. What about you?
CALVIN - I'm fine. Good as new.
MIRI - What do you think happens now?
CALVIN - I don't know. Blue Tang called me.
MIRI - Me too. Actually, they all have called. Dean called three times.
CALVIN - Yeah he called me too. Have you spoken to Ahmad?
MIRI- Yeah. He's okay. It's just Seth and Brandon.
CALVIN - We can't see them until tomorrow. But dean said that they are okay. Just got scratched up.
MIRI - Thank God!
CALVIN - I think I may take a nap.
MIRI - Okay man, that's cool. Call me when you wake up okay?
CALVIN - Sure. One love man.
MIRI - No doubt.

(They hang up.)

MIRI thinks - I'm kinda thirsty. Let me make my way to the kitchen.

(He slowly turns himself in the bed and tries to stand up.)

MIRI thinks - Stupid glove compartment!

(MIRI slowly makes his way to the kitchen and pours a glass of apple juice.)

MIRI - Man, I feel worse today than I did when we had the accident!

(He makes his way back to his bed and lays down.)

MIRI thinks - I know who I'll call!

(He dials.)

GINA - Hello.
MIRI - Hi Gina it's Miri.
GINA - Miri! Oh my God! Where have you been? I haven't heard from you in ages!
MIRI - You wouldn't believe if I told you.
GINA - Oh yeah? Try me.
MIRI - Promise you'll believe me.
GINA - Sure, I'll believe you.
MIRI - Okay. I've been on line.
GINA - Online like in the computer lab? You got a big project due or something?

(MIRI laughs until his side hurts.)

MIRI - No Gina, ha ha ha ha! I am pledging. I am on line for Phi Beta Sigma fraternity incorporated.
GINA - Boy, shut up!
MIRI - I told you you wouldn't believe me.
GINA - Miri stop playing. As much as you hate fraternities and sororities, I know you ain't on line. So don't even go there with me. If you didn't want to call, you could have just said so.
MIRI - Gina I am serious. I am on line.
GINA - Okay, well tell me this. How are you on line for Sigma if they don't even have a chapter here on campus? Huh? Tell me that.
MIRI- I am pledging into the chapter at Amgis.
GINA - I still don't believe you.
MIRI - How can I prove it?
GINA - Give me a greeting! Quick! Now!
MIRI - Greetings most gracious lady of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority incorporated!
Three times simulated, not once duplicated!
Because since you were created,
not even kinkos can re-create it!
You're a lady of class and high esteem!
Wearing the pinkiest pink and the apple-ist green!
Heads turn to the left when you step on the scene!
Just to catch your pose in that aka lean!
You're pretty on your left and you're pretty on your right!
You're pretty in the morning and you're pretty at night!
You're pretty from the front and you're pretty from the back!
Your sorors got it like that!
Sportin all shades of black!
You style and profile! You pass with class!
Your skeewee shatters that glass! Kickin' haters in the ask
them what's worse!
To be second, to be third, or to want to be first!
Then you look back and see how the sisterhood's grown.
And you call sisters up on their cellular phones.
Talkin' bout days of old when yall sat on your thrones.
And the warmth in your heart from the love that was shown.
Looking straight in your mirror, and what do you see?
The object of beauty admired by me!
A symbol of excellence for all to see!
The woman I have the honor to greet!
It would be my pleasure
no matter the weather.
I'll always treasure
the chance to greet greet greet thee!
Greetings most gracious lady of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority!

(silence)

MIRI - Well?
GINA - Oh my God! You're a Crescent!
MIRI - Ha ha ha! I told you!
GINA - That greeting was tight! But I have never heard Crescents giving that much love to AKAs! I know the Zetas must hate it!
GINA - One of my big brothers has a girlfriend who is an AKA. So he made us learn that. But we never say it around anyone but her. The greeting that we have for the big sisters is better. Ha ha ha ha!
GINA - Whatever! So you are on line! I can't believe it!
MIRI - Well that's not all you won't be able to believe. I was in a terrible car accident.
GINA - What? You were? Are you okay?
MIRI - I hurt my ribs pretty bad. My line brother fell asleep behind the wheel.
GINA - Oh my God!
MIRI - That's actually why I called you Gina.
GINA - It is? Why?
MIRI - I was calling to see if you could come over and see me.

No comments: