Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 80

BOBBY is talking to PAULA in the hallway near QUINTON's door. AURORA ALEXIS has been hiding in QUINTON's room.

BOBBY - Paula...I can't blame you for the way that you feel. But if you give me one more chance, just one more to prove that I've changed and I can give you all the love you need, I swear I'll never hurt you again.

PAULA - Bobby, check this out.

(PAULA's tone changes and she is now speaking much softer.)

PAULA - I gave you a chance. You only get one chance with me. I told you when we met that I'm not the one to be cheated on and played with. I'm a strong woman. I don't need a man and I certainly don't need to be lied to by a man. So, as I applaud you for making mature changes in your life, I deeply believe that the changes you've supposedly made are only because of the fact that I caught you. Otherwise, you would be the same ol' Bobby. So, in that, I have lost interest.

(silence)

PAULA - Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta run.

(BOBBY watches her turn around and walk towards the elevator.)

PAULA thinks - I hope I don't start crying before the elevator comes! Please hurry up elevator!

(QUINTON's door opens and ALEXIS walks out into the hallway.)

BOBBY thinks - Oh shoot!

(BOBBY quickly turns his back to PAULA who is still walking toward the elevator. He motions to ALEXIS to walk in the other direction.)

PAULA thinks - Don't turn around!

(ALEXIS understands the hint and quickly turns her body around. BOBBY walks up next to her to shield her from PAULA.)

BOBBY whispers - Just walk with me. Paula is back there.

ALEXIS whispers - Thank you!

PAULA thinks - I can't take this! Where the hell is the elevator?

(PAULA looks up at the elevator numbers to see where the elevator is.)

PAULA thinks - I can't take it anymore!

(PAULA peeks toward where BOBBY was standing and she sees him walk through the exit door to the stairs with a girl.)

PAULA thinks - What the...

BOBBY - Hurry up and get out of here!

ALEXIS - Okay! Thank you, Bobby!

(ALEXIS smiles at BOBBY who doesn't smile back.)

BOBBY - No problem. Now get out of here and stop being so obvious! You can't come see Quinton over here!

ALEXIS - Okay!

BOBBY - Aight! Be careful, pledge.

(ALEXIS smiles as she starts to go down the stairs.)

BOBBY thinks - Dag!

(BOBBY steps back through the door and walks slowly toward QUINTON's room.)

BOBBY thinks - I can't believe this is happening to me!

(BOBBY stands in front of QUINTON's door but doesn't knock.)

BOBBY thinks - You know what? I can't do this right now. I'd probably kill one of the guys with this bad attitude. I gotta go.

(BOBBY turns and looks toward the elevator. He can already hear DONTE through QUINTON's door raising his voice.)

BOBBY thinks - Oh, I know I can't stay in there now! If that fool is getting ready to act up!

(BOBBY takes the elevator down to the lobby.)

BOBBY thinks - I really messed up with Paula. I really ruined it.

(BOBBY walks outside.)

BOBBY thinks - I can't ruin anything else in my life! Dag, I gotta stop being so stupid and wake the hell up!

(A student speaks to BOBBY as he walks by.)

DANIELLE - Hi Bobby!

BOBBY - Huh? Oh, hey.

(BOBBY almost ignores her.)

DANIELLE - That's all you got to say to me? Fine! Act that way if you want to! I don't get no hug or nothin'?

(BOBBY doesn't notice her speaking as he continues to walk.)

BOBBY thinks - It's my fault that Paula left. I haven't been responsible in my life!

(BOBBY walks on for what seems like forever. As he looks up, he realizes that he has walked onto the yard.)

BOBBY thinks - Hmmm, what a coincidence, just where I need to be.

(BOBBY quickens his pace and hurries across campus.)

BOBBY thinks - This is exactly what I need. Some psychotherapy. I need some help.

(He enters one of the buildings on campus.)

BOBBY thinks - I should've thought of this before. I need to refocus and get things in order?

(BOBBY knocks on the office door.)

BOBBY thinks - ...for once in my life!

ALEX - Come in!

(BOBBY enters DR. JEFFERSON's office.)

BOBBY - Dr. Jefferson?

ALEX - Yes, can I help you?

BOBBY - Yes sir, um, I don't know if you remember me but you helped me change my son's diaper one day in the bathroom last semester.

ALEX - Oh yeah! I knew you looked familiar! Come on in!

(BOBBY enters the office and closes the door behind him.)

ALEX - What was your name again?

BOBBY - Bobby.

(They shake hands.)

ALEX - Right right! Bobby! How is the little guy?

BOBBY - Well, that's why I'm here, Doc. I need your help with Lil? Derrick.

ALEX - My help? How?

BOBBY - I need custody. I want to take my son from his mother and her boyfriend and I don't know what kind of legal stand I have.

(silence)

(ALEX sits behind his desk and grabs his chin.)

ALEX - Tell me the situation, Bobby. I'll figure out a legal angle for ya.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta are meeting and discussing the incident that occurred at the building dedication. An unidentified person dressed as an Iota pledge interrupted the ceremony with a loud, obnoxious greeting.

(There is a knock on the door. SAIFA answers it.)

SAIFA - Wassup, frat! Just the brother we want to talk to.

SEAN - And I'm glad we're all here!

(SEAN hurries in with confidence and stands in front of all the brothers.)

SEAN - Bros, I have some news about what happened! This is very hurtful to me and I almost can't believe it! But I know who that pledgee was! I know who did this!

(Everyone stops what they're doing and focuses on SEAN.)

SAM - You do?

RAY - Who?

SAIFA - Who did this?

(SEAN looks as if he wants to punch the wall.)

SEAN - I just did my research and I found out that the Iota brothers at Amgis College have one guy pledging underground! It must've been him!

(silence)

SAM - What?

SEAN - They got a dude pledging! It must've been him!

SAM - Sean, it wasn't the Amgis bros.

SEAN - How you know it wasn't?

SAM - Because those bros wouldn't do that to us. That's not what frat does to one another? What? You think they would do that to us as a joke?

SEAN - I don't know.

SAM - Naw, man. That guy even had your name up in the greeting. This was a personal attack.

SEAN - Oh. Well, maybe you're right.

RAY - Yeah. He's right. Frat wouldn't pull a stunt like that.

SAM - You've got a lot to learn, neo.

(Everyone laughs and SEAN joins them laughing.)

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - But seriously brothers. I'm more concerned with cleaning up the name and the image of our beloved Iota. I'm more interested in that then apprehending the culprits of this act.

SAIFA - I think we need to do both, sir. It's important that the campus know that we did not do this. But it's also important for us to find out who would play a trick like this. That way, we can be prepared for anything crazy in the future.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - I understand my brother. I just want us to realize that if we do find out who is behind this, retaliation is not always the wisest choice.

SEAN - And why not?

DR COLIN MWATSUMI - Because retaliation is usually orchestrated without thought?Thought of consequence or repercussions.

SAIFA - Colin is right y'all. We can't go out trying to kill whoever is behind this.

SAM - Kill is such a harsh word. We do need to maim some folks though. Seriously. I mean come on y?all. These cats made Iota Phi Theta look bad. Real bad. And I know everybody in this room loves I-Phi. How we gonna take this lying down?

SAIFA - We won't lie down and we definitely won't roll over dead. We just need to be smart and careful.

RAY - Yeah.

SAIFA - If nothing else, the entire campus body and administration is looking at us through a microscope now. The last thing we need to do is give them something to focus on.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - So true.

(DR. MWATSUMI's cell phone rings.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Excuse me, brothers.

SAIFA - Sure, sir.

SAM - So are we back at square one with finding out who did this?

SEAN - I am.

RAY - I don't have a freakin' clue.

SAIFA - Well, I got some people on campus keeping their ears and eyes open. Maybe something will turn up or someone will hear something.

SAM - Good idea.

SAIFA - In the meantime?

(DR. MWATSUMI returns.)

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Brothers, I need to leave. That was President Bryce. I have to meet with him now over dinner.

SAIFA - Okay, sir.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - I'll keep you all informed as to what transpires.

SAIFA - Good.

SEAN - Doc, you and President Bryce are buddies, right?

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Yes, but that's personal. This is business.

SEAN - It's like that? He can't look out for ya?

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - His phone call was very professional and his voice was all business. I have to treat it as such.

SAIFA - Yeah, Sean, he does.

SEAN - You know best.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Saifa, I will call when we have completed.

SAIFA - Yes, sir.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Good evening, brothers.

SAM - Ow! Ow! Doc!

(The doctor leaves.)

SEAN - This is so ugly.

RAY - Yeah.

SAIFA - What was I saying? Oh yeah. In the meantime, bruhs, we need to put our heads together and really think long and hard on who would do this to us.

RAY - Well, let's look at this smartly, like how Colin was telling us. You said the pledgee used Sean's name right?

SAIFA - Right.

RAY - So, whoever did this had to have known that Sean is now an Iota.

SAIFA - Right. He knew Sean's name. Any other clues?

SAM - Hmmm, let me think.

(The room gets quiet as everyone is brainstorming.)

SEAN - Clues. Clues. Are there any other clues.

SEAN thinks - Are there any clues? Clues? Clu?

(SEAN stops thinking and turns toward SAIFA.)

SEAN - Wait a minute!

SAIFA - What?

SEAN - Clues! Clues! Ques! That's it!

RAY - What?

SEAN - The Ques!

SAIFA - What are you talking about?

SEAN - I got into it with Ronnie the week before this happened! I bet the Omegas did this!

(PRESIDENT BRYCE extends his hand toward DR. MWATSUMI. They shake and sit.)

PRESIDENT BRYCE - Thanks, Colin, for meeting me on such short notice.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Yes, sir. We are as anxious and eager to put the event to a close as the administration is.

PRESIDENT BRYCE - Good. Basically Colin you know me. I get right to the point. The board of trustees has recommended to revoke the young charter of your brotherhood forever.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - Our charter? Forever!

PRESIDENT BRYCE - Colin, this school has strict policies on hazing and you know that. If we don't act swiftly and severely in this manner, it will set a precedent through the entire campus.

DR. COLIN MWATSUMI - But sir, you know we had nothing to do with this! You know that person was in no way shape or form involved with Iota Phi Theta!

PRESIDENT BRYCE - I know that and you know that. But unless you can come up with who it is, the word of the board is final.
:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 3

MONA has boarded the shuttle bus toward Taylor Hall to the interest meeting for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority. She's going to see if she finds her younger sister MIYA there.

MONA thinks - I know that girl better not be up in their interest meeting! I know that!

(MONA looks out the window as the bus begins to pull off.)

MONA thinks - This doesn't even make any sense! Miya has always wanted to be an AKA. She's been into Mommy's AKA stuff even before me!

(The bus comes to a jerking stop as a couple students rush to get on it.)

MONA thinks - I wish they'd hurry up! Gosh, come on!

(There are only a few seats available on the bus. One of them is next to MONA. As the seats quickly fill in, MONA's is the last seat available as the last student rushes onto the bus.)

MONA thinks - Oh no!

(MONA places her bag on the seat to occupy it. She then looks out the window as if she doesn't notice one last student needing a seat.)

JAHANNA - Is this seat taken?

(MONA looks up.)

MONA thinks - Dag!

(MONA takes her bag down and turns toward the window again.)

JAHANNA - Hello, Mona.

MONA - Hey...um...Jahanna right?

JAHANNA - You know my name.

MONA - Mmmm hmmmm.

(The bus takes off.)

MONA - So, how have you been Miss Jahanna?

JAHANNA - I can't complain. How are you, Monster?

MONA - What?

JAHANNA - I mean Mona.

(MONA cuts her a funny look.)

MONA - I've been better to be honest. I gotta go snatch up my little sister.

JAHANNA - You have a sister?

JAHANNA thinks - Oh God!

MONA - Yeah, I have a little sister. She's coming to Ahpla next semester.

JAHANNA thinks - Lord, no!

MONA - And I think she may be hanging with my cousin Sharonda now.

JAHANNA - So? What's wrong with that?

MONA - Sharonda is a Zeta and tonight is their interest meeting.

JAHANNA - It is?

MONA - Yeah, you didn't see the fliers?

JAHANNA - No, actually I hadn't.

MONA - Oh yeah, you probably wouldn't. You're still lookin' for ours to be posted up, huh?

(JAHANNA cuts MONA a look, then spins around quickly to see if anyone is listening.)

JAHANNA - Uh, yeah, Mona. Right.

MONA - So anyway, I'm headed over there now to see if Miya is over there and if she is, I wanna get her out and on the right track to AKA.

JAHANNA thinks - Oh, my God, two Fergusons in the chapter? And what if I do get accepted next time! She may be my line sister!

JAHANNA - So, what happens if you find her over there? What are you gonna do?

MONA - I'm gonna remain calm. And then I'm gonna slap her silly. And then I'm gonna make sure she gets her head straight and goes pink and green and not blue and white. Feel me?

JAHANNA thinks - Hell no!

JAHANNA - Yeah, I feel you.

(The bus pulls up on campus and stops. MONA looks out the window and can see Taylor Hall.)

MONA - Gosh, now I gotta walk into a land of Zetas!

JAHANNA - Uh, Mona, would you mind if I went with you?

MONA - Huh?

JAHANNA - Well, I was thinking.

(JAHANNA and MONA stand up to exit the bus.)

JAHANNA - She may not listen to you about pledging AKA because you're her sister. But if I tried to convince her, she may be more inclined to listen to me. Ya know?

MONA - You know what, Jahanna? That's not a bad idea.

(They step off the bus.)

MONA - So, you're willing to help me? You're willing to go with me to the Zeta meeting?

JAHANNA - Yeah. What are friends for Mona?

(JAHANNA extends her hand toward MONA. MONA takes it and shakes it.)

MONA - Okay, cool. Thanks, Jahanna.

JAHANNA - Yeah.

MONA - It'll definitely help if you steer my sister toward AKA.

JAHANNA - Yep.

JAHANNA thinks - And I'm gonna do everything in my power to steer young Fergie to Zeta!

No comments: