Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 45

WILLIE has joined the other ladies of Delta Sigma Theta as they wait for their pledgees to return from their first assignment.

WILLIE - Bottom line, Christian, is that I don't want you doing anything else unless I know about it okay?

CHRISTIAN - Okay, okay, I'm sorry. But like I said, it isn't like I was trying to do it behind your back. We just couldn't find you.

WILLIE - Understood.

ROBIN - And where were you anyway?

WILLIE - Me and Jason had an ... argument.

ROBIN - Is everything okay?

WILLIE - I hope so.

(silence)

(CHRISTIAN glances at her watch.)

CHRISTIAN - The Pyramids have 15 minutes to get here. What do y'all want to do if they're late?

ROBIN - They won't be late.

CHRISTIAN - How do you know that?

ROBIN - Because this is an easy task. All they have to do is get back here. How hard can that be?

CHRISTIAN - I know, but they only have 15 more minutes.

ROBIN - We have never had a line where the girls didn't pass the first test. If the Pyramids don't get back here in time, this will be the first time this has ever happened in our chapter.

CHRISTIAN - Hey, there's a first time for everything, I guess.

(CHRISTIAN and ROBIN laugh.)

ROBIN - Naw, I think they can handle this one. The real stuff ain't even started, yet. If they mess up on this one, I feel sorry for them in another week or so.

CHRISTIAN - Yeah, especially if they make me mad! Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

ROBIN - See! Now you sound like me! Ha ha ha ha.

(ROBIN glances over at WILLIE, who is staring out the window.)

ROBIN - Hey. You okay?

WILLIE - Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine.

ROBIN - You seem mighty quiet. What's wrong?

(WILLIE pauses.)

WILLIE - Just thinking, that's all.

ROBIN - Jason?

WILLIE thinks - Actually, Dexter.

WILLIE - Yeah. Jason.

ROBIN - You wanna talk about it?

WILLIE - Um...naw. I'm cool. It's no big deal.

ROBIN - Okay.

(CHRISTIAN looks at her watch again.)

CHRISTIAN - Twelve more minutes, ladies.

ROBIN - Don't worry. They'll get here.

SAIFA - What time are they supposed to get here?

(He looks at his watch.)

SAM - They should be here any minute. You know Richard is very punctual. And if he had run into any problems, he would've called by now.

SAIFA - True.

SAM - So, how do you think things went so far with Sean?

(SAIFA and SAM look at SEAN, who is standing in the corner extremely intense. He is being spoken to by RAY, Big Brother Brown Bomber.)

SAIFA - It took all I had inside of me to keep from laughing when he got so intense. Ha ha ha ha ha.

SAM - Yeah, I thought he was gonna break his own neck, he was straining so hard!

SAIFA - That's good though. It means he takes this seriously and that is real good.

SAM - Yeah, but can a brother take this too seriously? I mean dag.

(They both laugh as the door opens. In walks RICHARD, PATRICK and DR.
MWATSUMI.)

SAIFA - Good, they're here. Come on.

(SAIFA and SAM approach DR. MWATSUMI.)

SAIFA - Doctor, I am The Man with the Hoof. And, this is Goldfinger.

DR. MWATSUMI - I understand.

SAIFA - Over there is Brown Bomber and I am sure you remember the names of the brothers who came to get you.

DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, I do.

(RAY brings SEAN over.)

RICHARD - Sean, I am Centaur King.

PATRICK - And you will know me as Brown Arrow.

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother Centaur King! Yes, Big Brother Brown Arrow!

SAIFA - Come here. Stand right here.

(SAIFA puts SEAN next to DR. MWATSUMI.)

SAIFA - There ya go! That's what I'm talkin' about! You guys look good
already.

(SAIFA hands them both a piece of paper.)

SAIFA - I want you both to read this out loud. Together.

(SEAN and DR. MWATSUMI begin to read out loud. DR. MWATSUMI is reading and SEAN is screaming.)

RICHARD whispers - Why is Sean so loud?

SAM - He's just really intense. Good stuff, huh?

RICHARD - Yeah, but can I get some ear plugs?

(As they finish, DR. MWATSUMI peeks at SEAN and gives him a strange look.)

SAIFA - Okay. It's official now. We welcome both of you candidates to our line. You are Centaurs of the Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc., and we wish you good luck in your process!

BROTHERS - Ow! Ow!

SAIFA - You have just begun. I wanna take note of this. Hey, somebody tell me what time it is.

CHRISTIAN - Somebody tell me what time it is. Because according to my watch, the Pyramids have under a minute.

WILLIE - Well, your watch is right, Chris.

ROBIN - I can't believe it. They couldn't finish this simple task? I can't believe it!

(ROBIN walks to the door and opens it to look down the hall. As she does, she sees BREANNA standing there.)

ROBIN thinks - What the...

ROBIN - What are you doing?

BREANNA thinks - Answer with a question! Answer with a question!

BREANNA - Big Sister Jeopardy, I was waiting for Pyramid Theresa...have you seen her?

ROBIN - Waiting for Theresa?

BREANNA - Wouldn't the consequences be bad if we arrive separately?

ROBIN - Uh...yeah...but...

BREANNA - Do you think it was smart of me to wait here for her instead of knocking?

(ROBIN thinks about what BREANNA is saying.)

ROBIN - Oh, so you have been here, but you were waiting for Pyramid Theresa.

BREANNA - Is that what I said?

(ROBIN smiles.)

ROBIN - Come in Pyramid.

(BREANNA follows ROBIN into the room.)

ROBIN - Well, we got one, at least.

CHRISTIAN - One? Where's Pyramid Theresa?

BREANNA - She had a stop to make at the dorm, Big Sister DSTeazy in the Heazy For Sheazy My Neazy.

(CHRISTIAN gets in Pyramid BREANNA's face.)

CHRISTIAN - Let me make myself very clear, Pyramid. This chapter has never ever had a pyramid not pass the first test. If Pyramid Theresa doesn't get here in the next 30 seconds, you are gonna wish you were never born. You understand me?

BREANNA - Yes, Big Sister DSTeazy in the Heazy for Sheazy My Neazy!

BREANNA thinks - Oh my God! Oh my God! Where the heck is Theresa!

(Ten seconds later, THERESA opens the door.)

THERESA - Awww, home sweet home! I just need to freshen up a bit, maybe take a quick shower. It certainly has been a long day. I'll meet Breanna and the...big sisters...after I'm done.


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

MONA is conducting her Alpha Kappa Alpha interest meeting when there is a knock on her door.



MONA - Wow! We can't even get a sentence out! Ha ha ha ha! Maybe this is another girl interested in AKA!

(MONA walks over and opens the door to see JAHANNA standing there with her arms crossed.)

MONA thinks - Oh shoot!

MONA - What are you doing here?

(JAHANNA answers sarcastically.)

JAHANNA - I heard there's an interest meeting here. Far be it from me to miss an...official...Alpha Kappa Alpha interest meeting.

MONA - Hmph!

JAHANNA - So can I come in?

MONA - Sure Jahanna. Come on in.

MONA thinks - Dag, I didn't consider her coming!

(JAHANNA follows MONA into the room.)

MONA - Everyone, please welcome my good friend Jahanna. Jahanna this is Amy, Linda...that's Charmaine and this is my mother, Soror Melinda Ferguson.

JAHANNA - Hello, everyone.

(Everyone smiles and says hello as JAHANNA sits down.)

MONA - Okay, now where was I? Oh yeah, the history of Alpha Kappa Alpha. The sorority was founded in 1908 at Hampton University. After which they began to...

CHARMAINE - Excuse me, don't you mean Howard University?

(MONA stops and thinks.)

MONA - Uh...isn't that what I said?

CHARMAINE - No, you said Hampton University. But the sorority was founded at Howard.

(JAHANNA places her hand on her forehead and closes her eyes. She is trying to remain calm.)

MONA - Oh gosh! I am thinking about the game this Saturday! Ha ha ha ha, don't we play Hampton in football on Saturday?

AMY - Yeah, I think we do.

MONA - That's what I was thinking about! Ha ha ha ha, but of course I know we were founded at Howard.

(Everyone giggles, except JAHANNA.)

MONA - Gosh...okay let's move on.

(MONA makes it through the rest of the sorority history with no mistakes.)

MONA - Okay, now it's your turn to talk. I would like to know your motives for wanting membership in this illustrious organization. So, one at a time, if you could tell me what you wish to gain from membership? Charmaine?

CHARMAINE - Well, I have admired the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha for a long time. I actually see the work that the chapter here at Ahpla does and I can't say the same for other organizations on campus. I am all about my community and serving people. My people.

MONA - I understand. We do stay very active and connected with our community. How about you Linda?

LINDA - For me, it started a long time ago. My sister is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha and she is much older than me, so I have always looked up to her.

I used to watch her with her sorors and all the great things they were able to accomplish. She really left a mark at the chapter she pledged at and that left a strong impact on my mind. She is still active today back home and encourages me constantly. She is a great source of inspiration.

MONA - That is beautiful; and how about you Amy?

AMY - Honestly, I wasn't too sure if I wanted pledge. It has been something that I have thought about, but I still haven't completely made up my mind. So when I heard that this was an interest meeting, I wanted to come and get more information so I could make a well-informed decision.

MONA - And that is very smart on your part. Something like this is not for everyone...

JAHANNA thinks - Yeah, it certainly ain't for you!

MONA - ...and it's better if you make a well-informed decision than to do something and not be happy with it. That's fine, Amy. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

(MONA turns to JAHANNA.)

MONA - So, Jahanna...

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - ...what makes you want membership in ... my sorority ... so badly?

(JAHANNA waits before she answers.)

JAHANNA - Alpha Kappa Alpha has always been a dream of mine. When I think about the great legacy that laid the groundwork for this sorority, it touches my heart. To be in the same company with just a few of the historic women who have changed the face of society through their membership is astonishing. And I'm not even referring to the famous sorority members...but everywhere AKA is, there are wonderful women doing wonderful things.

Our people have been blessed with such fine leadership, role models, programs, service, and projects because of the women of Alpha Kappa Alpha. To be a part of that would be a humbling experience.

SOROR FERGUSON - Good answer, Jahanna!

MONA - Hmph!

(MONA ends the meeting with a question-and-answer period, some last-minute instructions, and all of her contact information.)

MONA - Okay, thank you all for coming, and the chapter will definitely be in contact.

(Everyone leaves together and walks down toward the elevator.)

AMY - Wow, that was great! I wasn't sure if I wanted to do anything like this, but after meeting Mona, I think, I am a little more sure!

JAHANNA thinks - Oh God!

(Once in the lobby, everyone goes their separate ways.)

JAHANNA thinks - I can't believe that girl! She had an interest meeting...in her room!

(JAHANNA goes to the Ivy Towers.)

JAHANNA thinks - I know exactly who I need to talk to.

(JAHANNA gets in the elevator but goes past her own floor. She goes up two more floors then gets off.)

JAHANNA thinks - I got a funny feeling something shady is going on. Why
weren't any of the other AKAs at Mona's little meeting?

(JAHANNA knocks on PJ and APRIL's door. PJ answers. She has a damp cloth on her forehead.)

PJ - Hey. Come on in.

JAHANNA - Hi. Are you okay? You look sick.

PJ - I just partied a bit too much tonight.

JAHANNA - Oh.

PJ - I'm just comin' down off of my...high...so you gotta excuse me.

JAHANNA - No problem. I need to talk to you about something serious.

PJ - 25,000.

JAHANNA - Huh?

PJ - Uh...nevermind. Files with lamps.

(PJ lays on her back and closes her eyes as she holds the damp cloth on her head.)

JAHANNA - Oh...uh...okay. Well I don't know if you knew this but Mona had an interest meeting tonight...in her room.

(silence)

JAHANNA - Did you hear what I said PJ?

PJ - Yeah...it's cool with me.

JAHANNA - What? It's okay with you that Mona had an interest meeting?

PJ - Uh yeah. Of course.

PJ thinks - Hours grief since doors run. I wish Jahanna was my line
sister...cool.

JAHANNA - It's okay with you that Mona had an interest meeting?

PJ - Was my line sister...cool.


:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 3

After GREGG admits to SHAREESA that he has a sexually transmitted disease, SHAREESA admits that it was she who gave it to him.


GREGG - ...I went to the bathroom and it...it hurt when I took a piss. It felt like...like burning. I was gonna try and go to the clinic tomorrow. That way, I can find out what's going on and let you know wha...

SHAREESA - You won't have to do that Gregg.

(SHAREESA has her head down.)

GREGG - Reece, of course I have to go. That's the only way that I can find out if this is...

SHAREESA - You don't have to go Gregg. I already went.

GREGG - Huh? You already went? But how...when...I mean, how did you...

(silence)

(SHAREESA looks up at GREGG with tears streaming down her face.)

SHAREESA - Gregg...I know exactly what you have. I was hoping you wouldn't have it. What you have...

(She pauses.)

SHAREESA - What you have...I gave to you.

(GREGG stares in shock.)

GREGG - What did you say?

SHAREESA - I said, what you have...

(She pauses.)

SHAREESA - ...you got from me.

(GREGG slowly sits on the bed, never taking his eyes from SHAREESA.)

GREGG - I'm very confused. How did...I mean, when did you...

(GREGG stops and quickly considers the fact that SHAREESA slept with someone else.)

GREGG - Shareesa, are you cheating on me?

SHAREESA - No! No, I'm not like that at all.

GREGG - Well, then...I don't understand.

(silence)

SHAREESA - Gregg, remember when we took some time apart last year? Right before Nino died?

GREGG - Yeah.

SHAREESA - Well, we weren't together and I...

(SHAREESA looks down.)

SHAREESA - ...I met somebody.

GREGG - You what!?

(GREGG raises his voice.)

GREGG - Who!?

SHAREESA - Of course, I know who you are. You're the quarterback from the football team.

BRAD - Nope. Wrong.

SHAREESA - Yes, you are, I've seen you play.

(BRAD smiles.)

BRAD - You're wrong.

SHAREESA - Unless you have a twin.

BRAD - No...I used to be the quarterback for the team. Ha ha ha ha, I'm graduating. So technically, I'm not the quarterback, anymore.

SHAREESA - Oh...silly. I knew I was right.

BRAD - Yeah, ha ha ha.

SHAREESA - Everybody knows you.

BRAD - Yeah right.

SHAREESA - I'm serious, Brad. Everybody knows you. Brad Tillmon, star
quarterback, Ahpla University.

BRAD - True, true. But I don't know you. Well, I don't know your name at least.

SHAREESA - Oh...I'm Shareesa. I used to...

BRAD - You used to go to Ahpla and you pledged AKA. You used to be in all the step shows.

SHAREESA - Yep, I sure did.

BRAD - I remember your face; just never had the pleasure of formally making your acquaintance.

SHAREESA - Well, consider yourself acquainted.

(SHAREESA smiles as BRAD takes her hand and kisses it playfully.)

SHAREESA - I bet this is what you do to sweep all the girls off their feet.

BRAD - Naw, just the pretty ones.

(BRAD smiles.)

SHAREESA - And, I bet you say that to all the pretty girls.

(BRAD almost speaks then stops himself.)

BRAD - Okay, you got me. Ha ha ha ha. I don't have a quick response for that one!

(They both laugh.)

BRAD - So, Shareesa, what brings you back up to campus?

SHAREESA - Sorority meeting, tonight.

BRAD - Oh, okay. You still stay in touch with the AKAs here?

SHAREESA - Yeah, it's hard to leave.

BRAD - Are you hanging out with your sorors after the meeting? Or are you free?

SHAREESA - I don't know yet. But I haven't made any plans so far.

BRAD - Well, you wanna hang out? I would love for you to tell me about the real world and what I should expect once I leave this place.

SHAREESA thinks - I haven't been out with someone else since...

SHAREESA - Well...I don't know, if sorors...

(SHAREESA glances down at BRAD's chest, which she can see is muscular through his T-shirt.)

SHAREESA - Won't your...girlfriend...mind if you hang out with strange women?

(SHAREESA smiles.)

BRAD - Don't have one of those, hon.

SHAREESA - Oh please, Brad. You have girls falling all over you all the time.

BRAD - Yeah, and that's the problem. They're all girls. Young. Know what I mean?

SHAREESA - Yeah, actually, I do. I'm tired of young people myself.

BRAD - So whatcha say, Shareesa? Can two adults...

(BRAD smiles.)

BRAD - ...go out and have a good time tonight?

(SHAREESA takes a moment to think about it.)

SHAREESA thinks - You know what? I owe this to myself! I've been up under that Gregg for so long that I don't even know what it is to have a good time with someone else! Well, no more for that! Tonight is my night to have a good time!

GREGG - You messed around with Brad!? You cheated on me with Brad!?

SHAREESA - Cheated? Gregg, you and I weren't together!

GREGG - We never broke up! I can't believe this! We take a few days apart and you're in somebody else's arms!

SHAREESA - How can you sit here and get mad at me! You were the one who
cheated and caused us to break up on the first place!

GREGG - Oh, bring that up why don't you!

SHAREESA - Yeah why don't I! You got some nerve!

GREGG - What I did was a mistake, uncalculated! Just happened! I didn't go out and meet some cheerleader, let her wine and dine me, and then come home to screw her!

SHAREESA - Is that what you think? Is that what you think I did?

(GREGG gets up and starts to get dressed.)

GREGG - All I think is that right now I wanna be out! And that's exactly what I'm gonna do!

No comments: