Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 20

XAVIER receives a phone call from GREGG asking him to come quickly to help MIKE. MIKE has just dropped line for Kappa Alpha Psi
Fraternity.




(XAVIER answers.)

XAVIER - Hello?
GREGG - Z, we got an emergency with Mike! I need you here right now!
XAVIER - What? What happened? Is he hurt?
GREGG - No, but I need you here right now or we're gonna lose him!

(XAVIER glances back at APRIL who is staring at him and pouting.)

XAVIER - I'm on my way.

(XAVIER hangs up.)

XAVIER thinks - I need to end this silliness with April anyway.
XAVIER - Uh April...
APRIL - Say no more, I know. You have to go.
XAVIER - Uh yeah...something urgent just came up and I have to go like right away.
APRIL - I understand.

(APRIL gets up off the couch and starts to put her coat on.)

XAVIER thinks - Dag!
XAVIER - Listen April...

(XAVIER is putting on his jacket.)

XAVIER - ...I can make this up to you, I'm really sorry.
APRIL - I understand. Go do what you gotta do.
XAVIER - Are you sure?
APRIL - Yeah, it's okay.

(APRIL is looking down at the floor.)

XAVIER thinks - Man! I'm gonna regret this!
XAVIER - Tell ya what, tomorrow night, dinner is on me. I'll call you tomorrow okay?

(APRIL smiles.)

APRIL - That's cool.
XAVIER - Good. Well listen, I really gotta go so I'm gonna run. You can take your time in leaving if you want, just lock my bottom lock when you leave.
APRIL - Oh no, I'm ready to go if...
XAVIER - No, it's cool because I am really in a hurry. Talk to ya later.

(APRIL leans in to kiss XAVIER, but he turns his face and hugs her instead.)

XAVIER - See ya later...I'll call you tomorrow.

(XAVIER runs out the door. APRIL just stands there.)

APRIL - Ooooookay...

(APRIL sits on the couch.)

APRIL thinks - Why can't I seem to get through to this man? Dang, what am I doing wrong?

(APRIL gets up and walks over to a shelf where XAVIER has some books and a few pictures. APRIL looks at the pictures.)

APRIL thinks - We would make such a cute couple, hee hee.

(APRIL picks up a book, The Prayer of Jabez.)

APRIL thinks - See, this is my problem. I am not in touch with the things that are important to Xavier. He is so much into his spirituality and here I am in a sexy nightgown. Good grief!

(APRIL turns around and sees the phone. She walks over, picks it up and dials.)

APRIL thinks - I need some advice.

(SHAREESA's phone rings and she sees XAVIER's name on her caller ID.)

SHAREESA thinks - Oh shoot, Xavier!

(SHAREESA's heart jumps a little and she feels embarrassed that she admittedly gets butterflies over her boyfriend's best friend. She pauses, then answers.)

SHAREESA - Hey.
APRIL - Hey soror, it's April.
SHAREESA thinks - April? Why is she at Xavier's using his phone?
SHAREESA - April? Hey, what's up girl?
APRIL - I want to talk to you if you have a minute.
SHAREESA - Uh...sure, what's on your mind?
APRIL - It's Xavier. I'm kinda diggin' him and I am trying to show him. Ya know? But I don't know how to approach him. He is so different and unique.
Not like these other fools on campus. And I know that you and him are real cool, because of Gregg.
SHAREESA thinks - I cannot believe she is asking me for advice on Xavier!
APRIL - So I want to know what you think I should do to get through to him.
GREGG thinks - I hope Xavier can get through to Mike! This brother is trippin'!
GREGG - Mike, I don't think you want to do this.
MIKE - I think this is exactly what I want to do.
GREGG - Last week you told me that you wanted to be a Nupe. That you wanted to enter the brotherhood of Kappa Alpha Psi. And because I put a little pressure on you, you want to quit now?

(He doesn't answer and he doesn't look at GREGG.)

GREGG - Fine, suit yourself. Obviously we made a bad decision in selecting you in the first place. You aren't Kappa material. I told Xavier that you were gonna drop.

(GREGG turns and starts to get his things to leave MIKE's room.)

MIKE - I wouldn't have dropped if you didn't stay on my case all the time!
GREGG - Yeah okay...there's a good reason to quit. What if all of the pioneers of the civil rights movement decided to quit because White folk put pressure on them? Where would that leave us? What if Elder Watson Diggs decided to up and quit when things got rough in 1911? Would Kappa even be here if he had quit? But you want to quit now? Okay Mike...whatever.
MIKE - Don't give me a guilt trip, Gregg, it's not about that and you know it! Through all of this, I just started to reevaluate why I want to be Greek and why I wanted to be a Kap...a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity Incorporated.
GREGG thinks - At least he is still saying the frat name with respect. That's a good sign. Where the hell is Xavier?
GREGG - Whatever you say, Mike. You can justify your quitting if you want to.

(GREGG turns and gets the last few things.)

GREGG thinks - Where is Xavier? I can't stall anymore!
MIKE - I don't have to justify anyth...

(GREGG walks toward the door, not paying attention to what MIKE is saying.)

GREGG - I'm outta here!
GREGG thinks - Xavier!

(As GREGG opens the door to leave, MIKE is looking very sad behind him. GREGG peeks down the hall and sees XAVIER coming.)

GREGG - Thank God!

(GREGG turns back toward MIKE.)

GREGG - See ya around dude. Maybe I'll see you in the audience at the homecoming step show.
MIKE thinks - What?

(XAVIER walks in.)

XAVIER - Yo yo!
GREGG - Uh Z...
XAVIER - What's up Nupe! What's up Scroller! I don't get a greeting up in here?

(XAVIER is smiling.)

GREGG - Uh, he can't greet becau...
XAVIER - You look good, Mike! I'm proud of you man! You seemed to have made it through your first few tests! We have so many things we want to show you and share with you about...
MIKE - Wait Xavier, I just...

(XAVIER continues to speak as if MIKE isn't speaking.)

XAVIER - ...our bond and this fraternity! I'm so excited for you man! I remember when I was at this position in my line experience. I was scared, real scared. But if I knew then what I know now about what you are about to learn and experience, I would have jumped at the chance to continue! You know what I mean? Remember G?
GREGG - Yeah Z, I remember.
XAVIER - Aw man! I'm excited for you little brother! And guess what else?

(MIKE stops speaking. He is actually curious to what XAVIER has to say.)

XAVIER - Tonight is your night! You get elevated tonight! You've made it!
GREGG - But he doesn't want to...
XAVIER - You've made it to the next level! Congratulations! Lots of men across the country want to be Nupes for all the wrong reasons. They know the ladies love us; the ladies can't get enough of us. They know we're the finest brothers on the yard and they know we handle our business.

(MIKE is staring at XAVIER.)

XAVIER - And all that is true. But at the same time, this is a noble clan. And we are about to initiate you into a higher level of consciousness. Your dean and me, right here, right now!

(silence)

GREGG - Uh Z, actually we can't move forward because Mike decided not to...
MIKE - Dean Kappadonna sir! Scroller Mike requests permission to resume his menial tasks and the opportunity to elevate to the next level!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

PAULA has convinced CANDACE to get out more often and start to date again.
They have walked to the yard to try and meet guys.



PAULA - Okay here comes a cute guy now. As a matter of fact...

(They both look.)

PAULA - ...as a matter of fact, he is fine! We're gonna speak to him!
CANDACE - Oh heck no we're not! That's that fool Jerrel that I got into that fight with at Pharaohs!
PAULA - Who?
CANDACE - Remember when I told you that this guy was perpetrating being an Alpha and he said he pledged at Southern? I pulled him up on that because I know all the Alphas from Southern and then he disrespected Nino!
PAULA - Oh yeah! I do remember that fiasco!
CANDACE - I haven't seen him since that whole thing went down. Hopefully he won't recognize me.

(CANDACE turns her head downward.)

PAULA - Well don't look now but he is coming this way!
CANDACE - No! He is?
PAULA - Yep, he is looking right over this way!
CANDACE - He may get cursed out for sho!

(JERREL walks right up to the bench where PAULA and CANDACE are sitting.)

JERREL - Candace?

(CANDACE doesn't say anything.)

JERREL - Uh...Candace?
CANDACE - I ain't got nothing to say to you Jerrel!

(CANDACE gets up and starts to walk away. PAULA jumps up to follow her.)

JERREL - No, Candace wait!

(CANDACE continues to walk.)

JERREL - Wait, I never got a chance to apologize!

(JERREL runs after them.)

JERREL - I need to apologize to you Candace! Please!

(CANDACE stops and turns to look at him with a fierce attitude. Her arms are crossed and she stares him directly in the face.)

JERREL - Listen, what happened that night in Pharoahs, I am truly sorry about that...I was participating in sort of an undercover operation and my cover was blown that night. I wasn't trying to be malicious or anything, and I am truly sorry about the memory of your man Nino. I would never intentionally disrespect you or him.

(CANDACE doesn't speak, she stares at JERREL. He continues.)

JERREL - No, I didn't know Nino from being at Southern U nor did I ever meet him before he...well...before he left us and returned to God...

(CANDACE loosens up a little as JERREL speaks of NINO with respect.)

JERREL - ...but I heard a lot about him and I know he was a great brother. I truly and sincerely apologize for how that went down between you and me. After that night I have been looking all over, trying to find you and set things straight. I felt horrible about that, especially about the memory of Nino.

(CANDACE doesn't look as mad.)

JERREL - So please accept my apology. I know that I can't take back what I said, if I could I would. And I'm not trying to apologize just to unload some heavy burden off my chest and then walk away vindicated. I am seriously sorry for the way that we met and the way that I came off.

(silence)

JERREL - So will you accept my apology?

(PAULA and JERREL look at CANDACE for a response.)

CANDACE - I accept your apology, Jerrel. Don't worry about it.
JERREL - I need more than that.
CANDACE - Excuse me?
JERREL - Let me take you to lunch. Right now. Both of you.

(CANDACE and PAULA look at one another.)

CANDACE - I don't think that that would be a go...
PAULA - I actually have to run to the library, but you go on ahead, Candace.
CANDACE - Huh?

(PAULA winks at CANDACE.)

CANDACE - Paula?

(PAULA starts to walk away.)

CANDACE - Paula!
JERREL - You sure you can't go with us Paula?
PAULA - No, y'all go ahead. Candace, I'll call you later.
CANDACE - Wait, I never said that I would go to...
PAULA - See ya girl. Bye Jerrel!

(JERREL waves as PAULA quickly walks away. He then turns to CANDACE who is still staring at PAULA in shock.)

JERREL - I hope you're hungry because I haven't eaten yet and I was thinking that we could run off campus and hit Applebee's.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

Line brothers JASON and LARRY are hanging out in JASON's dorm room watching a basketball game.



JASON - I don't care what you say, Jordan is still the best player ever!
LARRY - You need to wake up and stop smokin' that weed, J. Iverson can shake Jordan out of his Nikes. Jordan is so old now that most good guards can shake
him.
JASON - What? Like who?!
LARRY - Kobe can shake him, Kevin Garnett can shake him...

(LARRY pauses.)

LARRY - And Juanita is about to shake him down for a few million dollars! Ha
ha ha ha!
JASON - Ha ha ha ha, you are a stupid fool! Ha ha ha!
LARRY - I'm hungry man, what you got up in the kitchen to eat?
JASON - Nothing.
LARRY - Ain't we got some interested brothers on campus that want to be Alphas
and want to buy me a pizza? Sheesh!
JASON - I know. That would be nice right about now.
LARRY - Heck yeah! All the food we had to buy bros, especially Reggie and
Bobby! I feel like I had to purchase two meal plans!
JASON - I hear ya. Our day is coming though.
LARRY - Yeah I guess. I guess we spend our own money til then huh?
JASON - You got it. Wanna order one with sausage and pepperoni?
LARRY - Yeah that's cool. I'll call.

(LARRY gets up to go to the phone and there is a knock on the door. JASON
doesn't get up.)

LARRY - Oh don't bother, I'm up, I'll get it.
JASON - Thanks sands.
LARRY - I take it you didn't pick up on the sarcasm in my voice huh? Ha ha ha.

(JASON laughs as LARRY opens the door.)

LARRY - Theresa? What's up?
THERESA - Hey Larry. Is Jason here?
LARRY - Uh...yeah, sure. Come on in.

(THERESA smiles and follows LARRY in.)

LARRY - Jason, there is a beautiful young lady here to see you.
JASON - Stop lying, fool.
JASON thinks - Willie should still be in her Delta meeting, she shouldn't be finished already.

(JASON comes out and stops in his tracks.)

JASON - Theresa? What are you doing here?
THERESA - Hey Jason. I wanted to know if I could talk to you about something important...but if this is a bad time...
JASON - Uh naw, it's okay. Um...
LARRY - Yo sands, let me run. I'll call you when I find them.
JASON - Find who?
LARRY - The boys to buy us that pizza.

(JASON laughs.)

JASON - Oh yeah, please do that. Idiot!
LARRY - See ya later Theresa.
THERESA - Bye, Larry.

(LARRY throws on his coat and leaves.)

JASON thinks - What in the world does this girl want?
JASON - So what's up girl? What you need to talk about?

(THERESA sits down.)

THERESA - Well I know this may come as a surprise to you but...I am interested in a sorority.
JASON - A sorority? What? Are you interested in suspending a sorority from campus?

(THERESA laughs.)

THERESA - No silly. I am interested in pledging a sorority.
JASON - What? Okay, what have you done with Theresa you imposter!
THERESA - Stop being silly. I'm serious Jason. I am interested in a sorority and I am going through the motions to make line. I hope.
JASON - This is unbelievable! You hate sororities! How did this change in you come about? And what sorority are you pursuing?
THERESA - Delta Sigma Theta.
JASON thinks - What!
JASON - Since when have you wanted to become one of Willie's sorors?
THERESA - It all sort of happened kind of fast, and the next thing I know, it becomes a passion. I've changed my entire view on Greek life and pledging.
JASON - Well that is good for you, I guess.
THERESA - You guess?
JASON - Well it's just so hard picturing you trying to do something like this. I remember when you always talked about Greeks and how whack the members were...except me of course.

(They both laugh.)

THERESA - You're right...you were never whack to me!

(THERESA playfully pushes JASON's head to the side.)

JASON - Yeah right! You hated me for about two whole weeks! Ha ha ha ha.
THERESA - Man, I hated you for more than that!

(They both laugh as JASON pushes her back.)

JASON - So explain how you turn such hate into something that you now want to be a part of.
THERESA - Well, that is what I am here to talk to you about. How do I go about convincing people that know me that I truly have changed? That seems to be my largest obstacle...myself.
JASON - Hmmm, that is kind of difficult, to be honest with you.
THERESA - Well that certainly isn't a good answer. Ha ha ha ha ha.
JASON - Well let me say this. Let's start with your reasons. If you are convincing, then it may erase whatever preconceived notions people, or sisters, may have of you.
THERESA - That makes sense.
JASON - So tell me, why do you want to pursue this?
THERESA - Hmmm ...

(THERESA readjusts herself on the couch and subtly scoots closer to JASON.)

THERESA - A decision like this is certainly not a light one. It is actually something that I have been thinking about for a while, just never in public.
You know what I mean? I kept it to myself.
JASON - Uh huh.
THERESA - So in saying that, I know that I have allowed these feelings to rest in my heart, as opposed to in my mouth where the whole world knows of my intentions. This way, I have had time to sit alone and truly think this out. I mean, really think hard on where my heart is and what I want to follow. I
wanted to make sure that what I feel is real and I truly want to pursue it.
JASON - Okay.
THERESA - I wanted to make sure that this was not just a passing thing for
me, but real. Something I know that I won't regret, and something that I can
hold on to for a lifetime. Something that I would want to hold on to as well
as be willing to hold on to. Can you feel where I am coming from?
JASON - Yeah, I can respect that. That is how I felt going out for Alpha. I know exactly what you are saying.
THERESA - Yeah, exactly. I just feel like I am really in touch with my feelings and my heart. I feel like I am pursuing something that in a sense is rightfully mine, I just can't grab it.
JASON - That's a different way to look at it. I hear ya.
THERESA - Yeah.
JASON - Well it sounds like you know what you want. That's good.
THERESA - Yeah, I think so. I think it's very good.
JASON - Now that you know, the question becomes...what are you gonna do about it?
THERESA - What am I going to do about it? Hmmm what am I gonna do about it?

(THERESA pauses.)

THERESA - This is what I'm gonna do about it!

(THERESA leans toward JASON and they begin to kiss.)

No comments: