Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 15

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta are having an interest meeting on campus.


DARRIN - Tonight you will learn some of the history of Iota Phi Theta
fraternity as well as get a chance to speak closely to a few of
the brothers assembled here. This is an opportune time for you interested
gentlemen to ask questions and find out all you can about this organization.
SEAN thinks - Great!
DARRIN - First, we are going to ask Brother Saifa to come up and share with
us his personal testimony and a history of Iota.

(Everyone claps as SAIFA walks toward the front of the room. SEAN feels his
cell phone vibrate. He checks the caller I.D.)

SEAN thinks - Dad!

(SAIFA begins to speak before he even reaches the podium.)

SAIFA - If someone had told me 10 years ago that I would be an Iota, I would
have laughed. At the same time...

(SAIFA reaches the front and faces the brothers and guests in the room.)

SAIFA - ...if someone had told me 10 years ago that I would be in a
fraternity, I would have laughed at that too. Someone told me that Black men
don't want education and don't succeed in life. They told me that it is
harder for Black men because we start off with so many things against us from
the start. But just as I would laugh at someone telling me about my fraternal
life and my life in Iota, I laugh at all the stereotypical facts about being
the proud, educated, Black man that I am. This is why I like to identify
myself as a rebel. And this is why I identify myself and the founders of Iota
Phi...

(SEAN answers his phone and whispers into it.)

SEAN whispers - Hello.
MR. JACKSON - Hi Sean, it's dad. How are you son?
SEAN whispers - Uh fine dad... uh...
MR. JACKSON - Listen, I wanted to call you because your mother and I decided
to extend our vacation for two weeks in May instead of one week, but we
wanted to go over the dates with you to make sure you are done with school
for the semester and...
SEAN - Dad, dad, can I call you back?

(SEAN is desperately trying to speak quietly but he notices that DARRIN is
looking at him. SAIFA is still speaking.)

MR. JACKSON - Oh I'm sorry Sean, are you busy? Why are you whispering?
SEAN - I'm uh...I'm in the library dad, let me just call you back okay?
MR. JACKSON - Sure. Give me a call when you get a moment.

(SEAN notices that now DR. MWATSUMI has glanced over at him as well.)

SEAN whispers - Okay dad, sure...whatever...

(SEAN puts the phone in his jacket pocket. He smiles at DARRIN but DARRIN
doesn't smile back.)

SEAN thinks - Dag! I am making a horrible impression!
SAIFA - ...this is what sparked my initial interest. The brotherhood was
impressive. The brotherhood was creative as well as innovative. I saw quality
brothers in the chapter because there weren't that many of them. So instead
of having excess baggage the way that a lot of other chapters on the campus
had, the Iotas had a few quality men that were dedicated to serving the
community. That is what impressed me. The next thing I did was...
MR. JACKSON - Sean! Sean! You didn't hang up the phone son! Sean...
SEAN thinks - This is so interesting! A few quality brothers! A few good men!
SAIFA - ...and I did exactly what he told me to do. I got the information on
my own, and this is what I encourage from each of you. Get the information.
There are enough Iota men in the room right now to supply you with enough
fraternal information. Utilize these brothers because they are here for you.

(SEAN and DR. MWATSUMI scan the faces of the men of Iota who are in the
room.)

SAIFA - These brothers are here for you, I am here for you. I am an endless
resource of information on this fraternity. I have traveled and been
fortunate enough to set up colonies at several campuses. It would be my
pleasure to assist in the establishing of a colony here at Ahpla University.
I want to thank my good friend and mentor, Dr. Colin Mwatsumi, for inviting me
to speak with our friend Sean, and for expressing his own interest in Iota
Phi Theta. I bid you good luck sir.

(DR. MWATSUMI respectfully nods.)

SAIFA - At this point, I would like to open the floor for any questions that
you candidates may have. You can ask general questions or direct a question
to a particular brother.

(SEAN raises his hand and SAIFA acknowledges him.)

SEAN - How difficult is it to create a new chapter, or should I say a new
fraternity on Ahpla's campus?
SAIFA - There are some administrative things that need to take place, but we
have already started the process of making those things happen here at Ahpla.
Luckily for us, Dr. Mwatsumi was very instrumental in directing us to the
appropriate individuals on staff here. That allowed us to bypass a lot of the
normal red tape. That's a good question Sean. But you don't have to worry
about that, that will all be taken care of for you. There is a strong chance
that Iota Phi Theta fraternity will be a viable organization on this campus.

(Everyone claps.)

SAIFA - If there are any other questions, you can ask us directly. I want to
encourage each of you to now approach the front and gather some of the
information that we have compiled for you. Also, take a look at some of the
historic pictures that I have gathered in my travels.
SEAN thinks - Cool!

(SEAN reaches into his pocket to grab a pen to take phone numbers and puts
his hand on his cell phone. He pulls it out of his pocket in search of his
pen and he quickly glances at his phone.)

SEAN - Oh shoot! My phone is on! Hello?
MR. JACKSON - That's right! Your phone is on, young man, and you have a lot of
explaining to do!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

THERESA noticed BRENDON being very upset about not making line for Kappa Alpha Psi. She has offered to help him.



BRENDON - Help me? How?
THERESA - Let's just say that I am the queen of getting people placed on line.
BRENDON - Getting people placed on line? What are you talking about?

(THERESA sits down next to BRENDON.)

THERESA - First of all, my name is Theresa. And yours is...
BRENDON - Brendon.
THERESA - Nice to meet you Brendon. I am good friends with most of the Greeks
on this campus. I have come to have a thorough understanding of how they
operate, how they think, and the games they play.
BRENDON - Oh yeah?
THERESA - Yep. And fortunately for you, Gregg and I are close and he confides
in me often. I am also very good friends with Willie...
BRENDON - The Delta?
THERESA - Yeah. I am helping another young lady make line for them and I am
actually on my way to visit another person who I just found out may need my
help too. You want to come with me?
BRENDON - Uh...sure!

(They both get up and begin to walk together.)

BRENDON - So I don't understand. How is it that you can get me on line? If
they have already decided that I am not someone that they want, how can you
change their minds?
THERESA - That's the thing. It isn't that they made up their minds that they
don't want you Brendon. It's more so you have to convince them that you are
someone that they do want.
BRENDON - Isn't it too late for that?
THERESA - It's never too late. Stick with me kid, you can learn a lot.
BRENDON - I don't know. I mean, I am so disappointed. I worked so hard to get
into the frat. Everyone around me has made it.
THERESA - Ain't it always like that! Sometimes it just makes you want to throw
your hands in the air and give up.
BRENDON - Yeah.
THERESA - But you can't. You have to always keep trying until you get what
you want. That is exactly how I am. And Brendon, I always get what I want.

(They arrive at the Ivy Tower.)

THERESA - This is where we have to visit another friend. Come on.

(They go inside together and go up the elevator.)

BRENDON - So you know of someone else who didn't make line?
THERESA - Yep.
BRENDON - How do you know all this? I mean, how did you know that this person
didn't make line either?
THERESA - Like I said, most of the Greeks on this campus are my close
friends. And one thing about Greeks is that they all talk too much. Ha ha ha
ha.

(They get to the floor and get off. They walk toward the door.)

THERESA - Here we are.

(THERESA knocks on the door.)

THERESA - Hi Jahanna.
JAHANNA - Uh...do I know you?
THERESA - My name is Theresa and this is Brendon. Brendon, this is Jahanna.
JAHANNA - Hi. Nice to meet you.
BRENDON - Hi.
JAHANNA thinks - Oooh, cute!
JAHANNA - What can I do for you all?
THERESA - We have some mutual friends that I would like to talk to you about
if you aren't busy. Some mutual friends who are AKAs.

(That gets JAHANNA's attention immediately.)

JAHANNA - Uh...yeah...sure...come on in.

(JAHANNA glances down the hall to see if anyone is looking as THERESA and
BRENDON go into her room.)

JAHANNA - So what's going on?

(They all sit down.)

THERESA - I heard what happened between you and the AKAs.

(JAHANNA shoots a quick glance at BRENDON, then back at THERESA.)

THERESA - Oh don't worry girl. Brendon is cool. We are all in the same boat
here. He didn't make line for Kappa, and I am trying to help him also. I am
helping myself make it for Delta and I am now here to help you.
JAHANNA - Help me? How?
THERESA - Well I found out some information that you may find interesting.
JAHANNA - Really? What's that?
THERESA - I found out that the AKAs are not even having a line this year and
there was really no point putting you through all that stress. It was all
unnecessary.
JAHANNA - What?
THERESA - Yep. So that is what I wanted to talk to you about.
JAHANNA - How did you find all this out?
BRENDON - That's the same thing I've been asking. I am still a little
confused on how you get this information, Theresa.
THERESA - Well in your case, Jahanna, I got the info from the horse's mouth.
The best place to find out AKA information is from an AKA. Ya know? Ha ha ha
ha.
JAHANNA - So an AKA told you that they weren't having a line?
THERESA - Girl, an AKA told me that AKAs all across the country are not
having lines this year. They have something going on from their headquarters
where they aren't taking any people for a couple of years!
JAHANNA - What!?
THERESA - Yeah girl. So you might want to take my advice.
JAHANNA - Your advice? What is your advice?

(THERESA smiles.)

THERESA - Girl, Zeta Phi Beta was founded on January 16, 1920. They have five founders and...
JAHANNA - Zeta Phi Beta? I don't want to be a Zeta!
THERESA - Why not?
JAHANNA - Nothing against Zeta, but I want to be an AKA.
THERESA - AKA, Zeta...they're both founded in January.

(silence)

JAHANNA - I think it's time for you to leave Theresa. It was nice meeting you.

(JAHANNA gets up and opens the door for THERESA and BRENDON.)

THERESA - Okay I'll go. But my source won't be happy that you didn't take us
up on our advice about pursuing Zeta.
JAHANNA - Who is your AKA source anyway with all this information?

(THERESA and BRENDON walk past JAHANNA as she answers.)

THERESA - One of the most knowledgeable AKAs you will ever meet...

(THERESA smiles as she turns back to face JAHANNA.)

THERESA smiling - ...Mona Ferguson!

(SLAM)


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

CRESCENT MIRI is on trial under Dean of Pledgees CURT's suggestion. He is
being tried on the charge of not displaying brotherhood. CRESCENT CALVIN is
his defender, the jury is big brothers of Sigma and big sisters of Zeta.
CRESCENT MIRI has to answer all questions in rhymes.




CURT - Crescent Miri, why don't you tell the court how you feel about all,
and I do mean all, of the big brothers of Phi Beta Sigma.

(CRESCENT MIRI looks directly at Big Brother JEFF who is staring back at him.)

CRESCENT MIRI thinks - Think man! Think rhymes!
CRESCENT MIRI - I will not lie,
I couldn't if I tried.
My very first observance of the brothers of blue phi
intrigued me, yet it deceived me
and I yearned
to learn more.
I had a burn for
know...ledge.
But I didn't know
that I know less and not more
of what I had in store.
So...I spoke
but while speaking I wasn't thinking
and I offended a friend.
Or should I say a true blue friend.
Because what I didn't know is that brothers of blue
come in all colors, sizes and hues.
After careful realization, clarification, dictation, summmation,
speculation and frustration,
I see all big brothers as men of education.
Men of dedication.
Powerful men of the race
but not racist men.
This is what I think of the frat...
and that's all I have to say about that.

(The big brothers and sisters start to laugh loudly.)

CRESCENT AHMAD thinks - Yeah Miri!
CRESCENT DALE thinks - Hook it up bruh!
HAYDEN - Order! Order in the court.

(Everyone quiets down.)

HAYDEN - Do you have any further questions for this witness?

(CURT is smiling.)

CURT - No, your honor.
HAYDEN - Okay. Defense...your witness.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Thank you big brother your honor sir.

(HAYDEN smiles.)

CRESCENT CALVIN - Crescent Miri, how well do you know defense counsel?
CRESCENT MIRI - If my memory serves me correct,
you and I recently met.
If my memory doesn't do me wrong,
it hasn't been too long.
CRESCENT CALVIN - This is correct. So if you and I don't know each other very
well, how do you feel having me as your defender?
CRESCENT MIRI - Your voice is as good as my voice
so you are the perfect choice.
CRESCENT CALVIN - And why do you think I am a good choice to defend you?
CRESCENT MIRI - I would want no other
than my brother.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Oh you see me as your brother?
CRESCENT MIRI - Yes I do
my words are true.
CRESCENT CALVIN - How is it Crescent Miri...

(CRESCENT CALVIN is pacing back in forth in front of the jury.)

CRESCENT CALVIN - ...that you see me as a brother? I don't belong to the same
race that you do. I didn't grow up with you. We probably grew up in different
areas. What do we possibly have in common? What do we have that we can both
relate to? Tell me, the jury and the judge how you can possibly see me as
your brother.
CRESCENT MIRI - As long as I am living
my heart I will be giving
to Phi Beta Sigma and my Sigma siblings.
To me they are more than friends
because if not for the five of them,
I would be no good
and not know brotherhood.
Every day I thank God
for Crescents Brandon and Ahmad.
For Crescents Dale and Seth
I'd give my very last breath.
And to Crescent Calvin who is my defense
whom when I met I offended with an offense.
But he helped me to realize...
pardon me while I wipe my eyes

(CRESCENT MIRI wipes his eyes, which are teary.)

CRESCENT MIRI - I sincerely apologize.
And not just through poetic talents
or because Sigma hangs in the balance.
But because you are more than a brother, but a friend
and I hope that never ends.
CRESCENT SETH thinks - That was tight! Yes man!
CRESCENT CALVIN - No further questions your honor.
SALEEMA thinks - Awww, that was nice. Little pledgee love.
HAYDEN - Crescent Miri, you may step down. The jury has two minutes to render
a verdict on whether or not Miri has earned the right through his testimony
to complete the process into Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated.

(CRESCENT MIRI stands and walks toward CRESCENT CALVIN. He extends his hand to him and they shake. Then hug.)

SALEEMA - That was real nice. What you think Denice?

(silence)

SALEEMA - Denice?
DENICE - Huh? Oh sorry, what did you just say?
SALEEMA - Have you been paying attention?
DENICE - Yeah, oh I'm sorry. I was just looking at Brandon.
SALEEMA - You still in love with that boy? Ha ha ha.
DENICE - No...well yeah...but that's not why I was looking at him. Look at
him Saleema. He is daydreaming. Like he isn't even here.

(They both look at BRANDON who is staring off into space.)

SALEEMA - Yeah, he doesn't look like he is in the same room with everyone
else.
DENICE - And he told me a few minutes ago that he has something urgent to
talk to me about. I hope he is okay.
HAYDEN - Has the jury reached its verdict?
TROY - Yes your honor.
HAYDEN - Good. Can the defendant please rise?

(As CRESCENT MIRI stands, all the Crescents stand with him.)

HAYDEN thinks - Good, they're learning.

(CURT smiles to himself.)

HAYDEN - The jury has reached its verdict in the case of Phi Beta Sigma
against Crescent Miri. Jury, what is your verdict?

No comments: