Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 74

STACIE has just revealed to PYRAMID BREANNA that her husband ALEX also slept with CHRISTIAN.

STACIE - You have no idea about this, and I don't even know if it is the smartest thing to tell you right now. But, I just go with how I feel.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Big Sister, what are you talking about?

(silence)

STACIE - I'm just gonna come out and say it, Breanna.

(STACIE pauses and looks back at her line sisters, who have PYRAMID THERESA against a wall as they are asking her questions.)

STACIE - Breanna, my husband had an affair with Christian.

PYRAMID BREANNA - What!

(Everyone turns around startled at who just screamed. They look at STACIE AND PYRAMID BREANNA.)

STACIE - What? What do you mean you don't know my line name! You better remember Pyramid!

(Everyone turns back around to what they were doing.)

STACIE whispers - Keep your cool, Breanna. You're still pledging.

(BREANNA listens.)

STACIE - Look, I've already confronted Christian about it and we've settled it. She's just a person I can no longer be around.

PYRAMID BREANNA - I understand, I think.

STACIE - Here's the real deal, Breanna. In sorority life, some women are your sorors; some are your sisters. Not everyone will be in your inner circle. That's just life. If you think sorority life is a utopia, then you have a rude awakening coming real fast.

PYRAMID BREANNA - But how could...

(BREANNA stops herself.)

STACIE - I can't attempt to answer those kinds of questions. You never know with some people; some just slip through the cracks and get in.

PYRAMID BREANNA - They do?

STACIE - Yeah, they do. You don't worry about all that. You just make sure that when you enter my sorority, you are a productive member. Never forget why it is you wanted to become a Delta. And you work hard at that.

PYRAMID BREANNA - Yes, Big Sister.

(silence)

STACIE - Go join your line sister. I have to go.

(BREANNA turns to leave then turns back to STACIE.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Thank you.

STACIE - Yeah.

(BREANNA quickly joins THERESA amongst the big sisters. STACIE turns to ROBIN.)

STACIE - Robin, I'm about to be out.

ROBIN - Say no more. I understand.

(STACIE hugs ROBIN.)

ROBIN - I love you, soror.

STACIE - I love you, too, Robin.

(STACIE walks up to her line sister MARLANA.)

STACIE - Hey girl, I gotta go.

MARLANA - What? We just got here. Why you leaving already?

STACIE - Did you forget I have two babies? Ha ha ha ha ha.

MARLANA - Oh yeah. Dag girl. You're gonna miss all the fun.

STACIE - You've seen one line, you've seen 'em all.

MARLANA - Whatever!

(They laugh.)

MARLANA - Well, I'll call you later, okay?

STACIE - Yeah, that's cool. Do that.

(They hug.)

STACIE - Aight, girl. Don't go crazy on these girls okay?

(MARLANA smiles.)

MARLANA - You know me.

STACIE - Like I said Marlana...

(STACIE laughs as she turns toward the door.)

STACIE thinks - Should I announce that I'm leaving?

(STACIE looks back and sees that all the sorors are busy with the two pledgees.)

STACIE thinks - Nevermind.

(STACIE quietly opens the door and steps outside.)

STACIE thinks - This whole thing is slowly becoming old to me. It's good to see my line sisters but seeing the girls is starting to get played.

(STACIE walks toward the elevator.)

STACIE thinks - Yeah. This is the last line I'll probably see.

(STACIE pushes the elevator button and looks back toward the room.)

STACIE thinks - I wonder if I only feel this way because of how I feel about Christian right now.

(STACIE stares back at the elevator and waits for it to open. She hears ROBIN's door open, where she just came from.)

CHRISTIAN - Stacie, do you have a minute? I'd really like to have a word with you.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

QUINTON is at home. He is watching basketball on television while he is waiting for his guests to arrive.

(There is a knock on the door.)

QUINTON thinks - Showtime!

(QUINTON shuts the television off and goes to open the door.)

QUINTON - What's up fellas. Come on in.

(Four students enter QUINTON's room.)

QUINTON - Did y'all get what I asked for?

MARTIN - Yes.

QUINTON - Okay. Put it right over there, and y'all go sit down in the other room.

(They place the pizza and water bottles on the kitchen counter and do as QUINTON tells them. QUINTON grabs a plate and takes two pieces of pizza. Then joins the four guys in the other room.)

QUINTON - Hey guys. Thanks for the pizza. I...

(QUINTON is chewing.)

QUINTON - ...appreciate it.

MARTIN - No problem at all.

QUINTON - Now, I know you're Martin. But what's your name dude? Do I know you?

KEITH - Well, we did meet before. At one of the functions put on by the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated.

QUINTON - Oh yeah? Which function?

KEITH - The program that dealt with computer literacy in the Black community and how to deal with that issue.

QUINTON - You were there for that?

KEITH - Yes, I was.

QUINTON - That's weird. I don't forget faces and I don't remember meeting you there. Are you sure it was me?

KEITH - Positive.

(QUINTON chews in silence but never takes his eyes off of KEITH.)

QUINTON - You're sure it was me? 100 percent?

KEITH - Positive.

QUINTON - So, if I told you that I wasn't there, at the program, what would you say then?

(silence)

(KEITH looks at the three other students for help with a possible trick question.)

QUINTON - Because I wasn't there.

(QUINTON sits back and puts his feet up. He smiles.)

KEITH - But...but you and I spoke that night. I remember.

QUINTON - So, you're calling me a liar?

KEITH - Well... uh... um...no but...

QUINTON - If you're not calling me a liar, then that means I am telling the truth. Which means that I wasn't at the function that the chapter did. Which, in turn, makes you a liar.

KEITH - Uh... but...

(There is a knock on the door. QUINTON smiles as he chews and gets up.)

QUINTON - Hold that thought, Liar.

(QUINTON opens the door.)

QUINTON - What's up, frat? Come on in.

LARRY - One, one, one, one-nine!

QUINTON - Negro, stop all that yelling!

(QUINTON laughs.)

LARRY - Oooh, pizza! My favorite healthy food!

(QUINTON sits back down.)

KEITH - I think that I was talking to...

QUINTON - Don't worry about that, Keith. I don't want to talk to you anymore.

(QUINTON directs his next question toward another student.)

QUINTON - What's your name again?

MAX - Max.

QUINTON - Okay, Max. Why do you want to be an Alpha?

(LARRY sits down next to QUINTON. They are both eating pizza.)

MAX - Well...

(MAX pauses.)

MAX - ...when I was in high school, I was really impressed with the brothers that were...

QUINTON - Stop.

(MAX stops.)

QUINTON - I don't want the textbook answer. I want to know deep down what makes you want to become a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. Why in the world would you allow the brothers to put you through whatever trials and tests you would have to go through just to become a member? If you give me the textbook answer, or tell me what you think I want to hear, that won't help me learn who you are. And if I don't know who you are, then I won't feel comfortable considering you a brother. Feel me?

MAX - Yes.

QUINTON - So, tell me the real reason you want to be an Alpha. If it's for the women, then say that. If it's because we step well, then say that. Just be you, so I can get to know you.

KEITH - Well, I want to be an Alpha for the right reasons.

(silence)

LARRY - Did I hear an echo? Echo? Echo? Echo?

KEITH - I just wanted to contribute my reasons, too.

QUINTON - Did I ask you anything, Liar? Why are you trying to shine?

KEITH - Oh, I was just trying to...

QUINTON - No, you were trying to shine. First of all you are a liar, and now you are trying to impress us. Keith, man, you are so far from...

(There is a knock on the door.)

LARRY - Who the heck is this? More guys?

QUINTON - Let me get the door because I'm about to get upset and that isn't what this meeting is supposed to be for. You know what I'm sayin'? I just want to chill and get to know these guys but I can see I'm about to get pissed and this meeting is about to go in another direction.

(QUINTON gets up and goes to the door.)

LARRY - Let me give you guys a word of advice. When you start to piss brothers off, the meetings that are cool, turn hectic. And you don't want that. Q and I are some real cool, laid-back brothers. But some of the chapter brothers like Jason and Bobby aren't as cool as we are. So, I suggest you keep it cool while you are with the cool brothers!

QUINTON - Larry, they ain't with the cool, laid-back brothers no more! It's about to be on up in here!

(LARRY turns around to see who just came in.)

LARRY - Oh, my God!

DONTE - What's up frat! What y'all got jumpin' off up in here!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BRANDON is on his computer in his room when he hears his door open.

BRANDON - Bren, is that you?

(silence)

BRANDON - Brendon!

BRENDON - Yeah, man, it's me.

BRANDON - Oh. What's up, cat?

(silence)

BRANDON thinks - What's wrong with him?

(BRANDON gets up and goes into the other room. BRENDON is sitting on the couch.)

BRANDON - What's up, man?

BRENDON - Hey.

BRANDON - What's the matter?

BRENDON - Nothin'.

BRANDON - Whatever, man. What's wrong?

(BRANDON sits down across from BRENDON.)

BRENDON - Man, you won't believe what happened to me!

BRANDON - Try me.

(silence)

BRENDON - Man, I went to see my boy Mike.

BRANDON - The new Kappa?

BRENDON - Yeah, man. So, we hook up and talk, and he knows I still want to be down with K A Psi.

BRANDON - Uh, huh.

BRENDON - So, he convinces me that I can start line right away; and gets me started as a pledgee.

BRANDON - Started as a pledge? What do you mean?

BRENDON - Just what I said, he had me started. Then he sends me over to Xavier's house!

BRANDON - Oh, shoot!

BRENDON - Only to find out that he was just playing with me. That's so not cool, man! I'm pissed!

(silence)

BRENDON - And I really can't even say anything about it because Mike is still a Kappa! What am I gonna do? Go off on him knowing that I want his vote?

(silence)

BRANDON - Brendon, you didn't know better than to know that a line just doesn't start like that?

BRENDON - How am I supposed to know? I trusted him! He's a Kappa; why would I think he was joking with me like that?

BRANDON - Yeah, but Brendon, come on man. They haven't had an interest meeting, any programs, any community service projects that you could've participated in. You couldn't figure that out?

BRENDON - Are you saying this is my fault?

BRANDON - Actually, no. I think what happened to you is beyond messed up. Don't get me wrong, bruh.

(silence)

BRANDON - So, what happened when you got to Xavier's?

BRENDON - Well, he set everything straight. I guess. He acted like he had no idea what Mike was doing. So, he sat me down and told me a few things. He apologized for Mike.

BRANDON - Do you believe he didn't know anything about it?

BRENDON - What do you mean?

BRANDON - I mean, their chapter is small. What are the chances that what one brother does, the other two don't know about?

BRENDON - I don't know.

(silence)

BRANDON - So, then, what happened?

BRENDON - Xavier asked me what exactly Mike had told me and if he had showed me any official information.

BRANDON - Did he?

BRENDON - Yeah, well I think so. But I told Xavier no. I didn't even know what to say.

BRANDON - I hear ya.

BRENDON - So, then, Xavier sends me home and that's it.

BRANDON - Dag, I'm sorry, man.

BRENDON - Thanks.

(silence)

BRENDON - I mean, how you gonna play with a person's emotions like that? That's just not cool.

BRANDON - It isn't. That's foul man. I would never do that to somebody.

BRENDON - Yeah, man. Whatever on Mike, right now. For real.

BRANDON - I hear ya.

(silence)

(BRENDON starts changing the channels with the remote. He is obviously still upset as indicated by how fast he is changing the channels.)

BRANDON - Bren, let me ask you something man.

(BRENDON stops with the remote and looks at his brother.)

BRENDON - What's up?

BRANDON - I don't know how to ask you this, actually I wasn't going to say anything at all. But...

(BRANDON pauses.)

BRENDON - What?

(BRANDON shifts in his chair.)

BRANDON - Man, I don't know if these brothers are right for you, man. Of course, I care about you, Brendon. This dude, Mike, ain't cool and I think Gregg is kinda shady, too.

BRENDON - What you sayin'?

(BRANDON leans in closer.)

BRANDON - Bren, what do you think about learning some information on my frat, Phi Beta Sigma?

No comments: