Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 23

BOBBY is pushing his new baby carriage down the hall. The baby has been crying since DERRICK left him. BOBBY is taking the baby to class with him.


BOBBY thinks - Why won't this kid stop screaming! Derrick probably did this on purpose because he can't control Lil Derrick's crying either! He ain't nothing but a bad father!

(There are some girls coming down the hall.)

BOBBY thinks - Dag! Some girls are coming! This is going to totally ruin my game!
TAKIYAH - Oh look at the baby!
NICHOLE - He is adorable! What's the matter with the baby, huh?
TAKIYAH - Bobby is this your baby?
BOBBY - Uh...
TAKIYAH - I didn't know that you had a baby! How cute! What's his name?
BOBBY - Uh, Derrick.
NICHOLE - Hi Derrick!

(Lil DERRICK stops crying and smiles.)

TAKIYAH - I see he is a lady's man just like you, huh Bobby? Ha ha ha ha!

(The two girls walk away laughing.)

BOBBY thinks - I am a laughing stock! I won't get any play with Lil Derrick around! Dag!

(BOBBY pushes the stroller to class and Lil DERRICK starts crying again.)

BOBBY thinks - Oh no! Why now? You were fine when those girls were all over you! Are you really a little me? Are you a chip off the old block? You love the ladies too, huh?

(The baby continues to cry as BOBBY tries to enter the classroom. The professor approaches BOBBY.)

PROFESSOR - What do you think you are doing?
BOBBY - Oh I am sorry Dr. Stewart. I am just going to take my seat and quiet him down a little.

(BOBBY smiles, the professor doesn't.)

PROFESSOR - No. What you are going to do is take the child outside and quiet him before you come back in here.
BOBBY - But sir, I have been trying all day!
PROFESSOR - That's not my problem Bobby. You should've thought about that before you brought your baby to class.
BOBBY thinks - Man!

(BOBBY turns and walks into the hall with the screaming Lil Derrick.)

BOBBY thinks - Come on man!
BOBBY - Shhhhh! Derrick...Lil Derrick...you have to be quiet okay? What's the matter son? Do you need something to eat? Huh?

(BOBBY reaches into his bag and pulls out the baby's bottle.)

BOBBY - Here, you want something to eat? Are you hungry?

(The baby won't take the bottle but continues to cry.)

BOBBY - Do you need to be changed? Let me see if you need a new diaper.

(BOBBY smells the baby and realizes that the baby needs to be changed and that is the problem.)

BOBBY - Oh you made a mess huh? No wonder you are crying so much, you are all wet and dirty. I'm sorry son; let's get your stinky butt all cleaned up. Ha ha ha!

(BOBBY kisses the baby on the cheek and takes him into the bathroom to change him.)

BOBBY thinks - Okay. Now how do I do this again?

(BOBBY takes off Lil DERRICK's diaper and throws it in the garbage. He then wipes the baby off and cleans him up. The baby stops crying for the moment.)

BOBBY thinks - There! That's better huh son?

(BOBBY takes the new diaper and tries to put it on the baby but cannot figure out how it is supposed to fit.)

BOBBY - How the heck do these things work? I think I have it on backward! And
I don't have the box with the instructions. Shoot!

(The baby begins to become restless and starts to cry again.)

BOBBY -Oh no! You were doing so good! Please don't cry Lil Derrick...alright
alright, I'll figure this diaper thing out, don't you worry. I'll have you
fixed up in no time! Um...um...

(BOBBY turns around and sees another gentleman washing his hands.)

BOBBY - Excuse me, would you happen to know how to do this? I am all mixed up
and the baby is about to start crying again.
ALEX - Sure, I have done a few of those. Let me show you how to do it.

(ALEX dries his hands and comes over.)

ALEX - What's your name?
BOBBY - Bobby. And this is my son, Lil Derrick. He is usually with his mother
so I don't normally do this kind of stuff.
ALEX - I understand Bobby. Say no more. Ha ha ha. My name is Dr. Alex
Jefferson. Professor in the psychology department.
BOBBY - Thanks Dr. Jefferson. You are a lifesaver.
ALEX - No problem.

(ALEX takes the diaper off the baby and turns it around correctly. He then
shows BOBBY the way that it is supposed to fit.)

ALEX - See? That is how this is supposed to work.
BOBBY - Oh okay. Do you have kids? You do this like you are very experienced.
ALEX - Yeah, I have twins. Younger than your son actually.
BOBBY - Really? Twins? Wow, that must be crazy taking care of two babies at
once!
ALEX - It isn't bad at all. I always say that it's a double blessing.
BOBBY - I hear that. Well thanks again for your help Dr. Jefferson.
ALEX - No, thank you Bobby because you helped me.
BOBBY - I did? What did I do?
ALEX - Nevermind. I just know now that there is something that I have to do.

(ALEX leaves the bathroom.)

ALEX thinks - I have to take my kids back...right now!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2


XAVIER is alone with MIKE.


XAVIER - Okay Scroller, now you try it.

(MIKE takes his cane and tries to spin it around his back. He drops
it.)

XAVIER - It takes some getting used to. If you do it enough...

(XAVIER spins it around his back.)

XAVIER - ...you'll get it.
MIKE - Big Brother Little Red, did you spin it around your fingers or your whole hand.
XAVIER - It depends on how fast you want to do it and how fast you want it to look. See, watch this.

(XAVIER spins it again.)

XAVIER - That was around my hand. But look how much faster it looks when you do it around your fingers. Obviously it spins more and the rotation is faster. But it is all about the weight of the cane.
MIKE - The weight Big Brother Little Red?
XAVIER - Yeah, the hook adds weight and that greatly affects the way it
spins. But you should know that already...right Scroller?
MIKE - Uh...yes Big Brother Little Red!
XAVIER - Now the next thing...

(XAVIER's cell phone rings.)

XAVIER - Hold on, this may be Dean Kappadonna on his way back.
MIKE thinks - I hope not!

(XAVIER looks at his caller id.)

XAVIER thinks - Oh shoot...
XAVIER - Hello?
SHAREESA - Hey Xavier. You busy?

(XAVIER glances at MIKE who is practicing with his cane.)

XAVIER - Naw Shareesa, hold on for a second. Scroller...
MIKE - Yes Big Brother Little Red!
XAVIER - Take that in your room and keep practicing.
MIKE - Yes Big Brother Little Red!

(SCROLLER MIKE leaves.)

XAVIER - What's going on Shareesa?
SHAREESA - I need to talk to you. This is between me and you too so don't tell nobody.
XAVIER - Who am I gonna tell?
SHAREESA - I know, just had to tell you that though. Well, the thing is...

(silence)

SHAREESA - ...the thing is...my soror, April, likes you.
XAVIER - That's the news? That aint news. I know that.
SHAREESA - No, that isn't the news. The news is that she asked me for advice about how to get you. She is trying to get your attention and to really let you know that she wants to be with you. So she came to me in sort of a confidence. She asked me for my help and I...

(silence)

XAVIER - You what?
SHAREESA - I gave it to her.
XAVIER - Really?
SHAREESA - I had to Xavier. I mean, she is my soror and she is my girl. I am Gregg's girlfriend for Pete's sake. What would I look like telling April...

(silence)

SHAREESA - ... telling April how I feel about you.
XAVIER - Why don't you tell me how you feel. I mean, how you really feel?
SHAREESA - You know how I feel.
XAVIER - Remind me.
SHAREESA - You sound like Gregg now. You know how big his ego is.
XAVIER - I'm asking for different reasons than what Gregg would ask for
though. I just need to know. Not so I can inflate my ego, but just so I can know. Not to act upon, just to know.
SHAREESA - Well what is the point in knowing if we can't do anything about it Z?

(silence)

SHAREESA - Well?
XAVIER - Because I want to know if my feelings for you are the same.
SHAREESA thinks - Wow!
SHAREESA - Xavier, the truth is...well the truth is that I like you. And under different circumstances...much different circumstances, things maybe could be different between us. But Gregg is my boyfriend, and he is your line brother. We shouldn't even be talking about this.
XAVIER - Believe me, I feel worse than you. I would never go against the bond that Gregg and I have. You are strictly off limits and you will always be. But it's just something that I have wondered about. That's all.
SHAREESA - Well I do feel bad because I have thought about it too. And I feel worse now because Gregg has made such a conscious effort to do the right thing by me. I didn't know if he was going to be sincere this time or not. He talks so much trash most of the time and I can see right through him usually. But when he lost Nino, his best friend, he really did change.
XAVIER - Yeah.
SHAREESA - And he isn't the old Gregg anymore. He is a better Gregg. And just the fact that he is trying so hard to be better in the relationship and respect me, I have to commend that in him.
XAVIER - I see what you mean. That is understandable.
SHAREESA - So the point is, I'm gonna help April try and get you. And let's
not discuss...me and you again...okay?
XAVIER - No problem. It's better for me that way.
SHAREESA - Yeah. And it's better for me and Gregg.

Meanwhile across campus...

DENICE - Nobody gives a massage better than you Gregg!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

The ladies of Delta Sigma Theta are finishing their vote on BREANNA.


CHRISTIAN - So Wilhemina, how would you feel if your man was laid up with some broad and then this chick wanted to get up into Delta Sigma Theta?
WILLIE - Does this...broad...know that my man is in a relationship?
CHRISTIAN - No.
WILLIE - Then how could I hold it against her Christian?
CHRISTIAN - You may not want to hold it against her, but would you want to be looking all up in her face in the chapter meeting? Would you greet her with genuine sisterly love when you saw her on the yard? I mean genuine love? Would you want to pin her at the pinning ceremony? Or would you want to be her spec? Come on sorors! Let's get real!
WILLIE - None of that matters if the girl didn't know! If Stacie doesn't have a problem with it, why do you Chris?

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - I just think Breanna is wrong. Wrong for what she did to Alex and wrong for the chapter.
ROBIN - You keep saying that she did something to Alex like she twisted his arm. Alex isn't the victim here. Stacie is if anything. But technically Breanna is too because Alex lied to her. Why do you keep sticking up for Alex?

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - Look, all I'm saying is that I think we are making a big mistake
here sorors. Regardless of what Stacie is saying.
CHRISTIAN thinks - I don't want that girl up in my chapter!
ROBIN - Okay. Can we proceed to a vote?

(silence)

ROBIN - Are yall ready to vote or what?
WILLIE - Yeah.
CHRISTIAN -Yes.

(The Deltas conduct their vote.)

ROBIN - Okay, that settles it sorors. Now. How do we proceed in picking up our two pledgees and getting the intake going again?
WILLIE - This is what we're gonna do. Once the process gets back under way, it's Christian's ball game. She had already introduced to the chapter her plan of activities for intake, and that should still work for Breanna as well as with the addition of Theresa.
CHRISTIAN - Yeah it will.
WILLIE - I think we should institute a time that we have no contact with them and they have none with us. That way, we can make sure all of our ducks are in order and that are stuff is correct. Plus it will probably scare the heck out of them if we avoid them on purpose.
ROBIN - I agree.
WILLIE - Good. So as of now, Breanna and Theresa are off limits to us for two weeks.
CHRISTIAN - Let me stress that again sorors. My program will be to the
letter. Willie has instituted this two weeks where we have no contact with them. That goes for myself, current sorors and old heads too.

(The sorors laugh.)

LYNN - Dag!

(The sorors laugh again.)

CHRISTIAN - There will be no tolerance for breaking the rules sorors. We're
not trying to get in trouble with our regional director and we are going to
do this in all seriousness. This is by the books. So the girls are off
limits...Robin!
ROBIN - What? Why you gotta call me out like I'm a hazer or something?

(All the sorors laugh again.)

WILLIE - Okay sorors. I'm glad that that is settled. Can we go eat now
because a sister is starvin'!
DEVONYA - Yeah, my treat.
WILLIE - Old heads got money!

(They all laugh again.)

CHRISTIAN - Let me catch up with yall later. I got some writing to do.
ROBIN - You sure Chris?
CHRISTIAN - Yeah. I'll call you tomorrow night.
ROBIN - Okay then. See ya.
CHRISTIAN - Later.

(The Deltas leave and CHRISTIAN heads toward the dorm alone.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I can't wait for this to start. I got big plans! Big plans!

(CHRISTIAN gets to the dorm.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Sorors better adhere to the rules. I aint playin' no games.

(CHRISTIAN gets to the elevator.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Robin is always trying to get over. I gotta keep my eye on
her...

(CHRISTIAN gets off the elevator and walks down the hall.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - ...and that whole thing with Breanna! Hmph! Sorors want to put her back on line after she set Alex up? Fine!

(CHRISTIAN pauses.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I got something for that chick!

(CHRISTIAN knocks and the door opens.)

BREANNA - Uh...hi Christian. Come on in.

No comments: