Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 22

DR. MWATSUMI has called SEAN's father to discuss his feelings about SEAN's pursuing Iota Phi Theta Fraternity instead of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.



MR. JACKSON - Hello, Sean; have you changed your mind and come to your senses?
DR. MWATSUMI - Sir, this isn't Sean. This is Dr. Colin Mwatsumi from Ahpla
University. I am using your son's cell phone to call you, sir.
MR. JACKSON - Is Sean alright? Did something happen to my son?
DR. MWATSUMI - Oh no. Sean is fine. I just needed to speak to you about a few
things.
MR. JACKSON - What can I do for you, Doctor?
DR. MWATSUMI - It's about Sean's interest in Iota Phi Theta fraternity. I understand that you are advising him not to pursue his interest.
MR. JACKSON - That is absolutely right!
DR. MWATSUMI - But Mr. Jackson, would you rather your son be an unhappy Alpha then a happy Iota?
MR. JACKSON - Yes!
DR. MWATSUMI - Why? That doesn't make any sense.
MR. JACKSON - Because I know what is best for Sean. He may think that he won't be happy as an Alpha. But I know better. He will come into the fraternity and fit in very nicely.
DR. MWATSUMI - Or he may go into your fraternity and regret it for the rest of his life.
MR. JACKSON - Nonsense.
DR. MWATSUMI - No, actually that is reality, Mr. Jackson. Let me ask you: When
did you become a member of Alpha Phi Alpha?
MR. JACKSON - 1964.
DR. MWATSUMI - 1964. Well, it is now 2002. Many things have changed within Alpha since you became a member. What appealed to you back then may not draw your son. He may be enticed by something totally different. The fact of the matter is, he is not you.
MR. JACKSON - I know what is best for my son. You talk about regrets? If he pledges that other fraternity, I know for a fact that he will regret it. That is the fraternity that all the other fraternities joke about. It would be bad enough if he wanted to be a Sigma, or a Kappa or a Que even. But Iota? He will never hear the end of it. Even at my level at chapter meetings there are jokes about Iota.
DR. MWATSUMI - Then I would question the maturity level of the men on your level
MR. JACKSON - Excuse me?
DR. MWATSUMI - Mr. Jackson, I am not speaking to you to insult you, your
brotherhood, or your concern for Sean. I am instead speaking to you on behalf of Sean, as a member of your generation who can speak to you on your own terms.
MR. JACKSON - On my terms? Are you in a fraternity, Dr. Mwatsumi?
DR. MWATSUMI - No. Actually I am helping the Iota brothers start their
chapter here. I am interested in Iota as well.
MR. JACKSON - Are you serious? Good Lord!
DR. MWATSUMI - Mr. Jackson, do you know anything about Iota Phi Theta?
MR. JACKSON - No. Why should I?
DR. MWATSUMI - Mr. Jackson, I have been speaking to you in a very civil and Cordial manner. However, now you are insulting me. Iota is a serious and viable organization. Its brothers are building something strong and I commend them for their energy and confidence. They are building a new tradition instead of resting on one that is outdated and formed to address issues dating back to the turn of the century.
MR. JACKSON - What? Alpha has evolved just as time has. We address issues on every corner of the globe that affect Black people and specifically Black men. And if you, sir, are not an Alpha, how dare you tell me what our agenda is?
DR. MWATSUMI - Then I can ask you the same question about Iota. If you are not an Iota, and don't even bother to acknowledge their organization, how dare you prevent your son from his pursuit as a man?
MR. JACKSON - Alpha Phi Alpha has a long-standing tradition in this family! My father is an Alpha man. What do you think he would say? Did Sean think about that? How do you think his grandfather would feel?
DR. MWATSUMI - It's not his grandfather's life. It's Sean's.
MR. JACKSON - Oh yeah? Hold on Doctor.

(MR. JACKSON places DR. MWATSUMI on hold.)

DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Now what?

(MR. JACKSON returns.)

MR. JACKSON - Doctor, you still there?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes sir, I am.
MR. JACKSON - Sorry to place you on hold for so long Doctor. Dad, are you there?
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Dad?
MR. JACKSON - Dad, you there?
SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - Yeah, Steve, I'm here.
MR. JACKSON - Dad, I have a Dr. Mwatsumi on the telephone. He is from Ahpla. You know, where Sean goes to school.
SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - How are you, sir?
DR. MWATSUMI - Very well, sir. How are you?
SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - I can't complain for an old-timer. Ha ha ha.
MR. JACKSON - Dad, I got you on the phone with Dr. Mwatsumi here because he has something he wants to tell you about Sean and what he is doing in college these days.
SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - Alright. My grandson isn't dropping out is he?
DR. MWATSUMI - No, sir. He is doing quite well in his grades.
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - I cannot believe this man has me speaking with Sean's grandfather!
DR. MWATSUMI - Sir, Sean is interested in pursuing a fraternity here on campus other than Alpha Phi Alpha. That has his father very concerned and very upset. And that is why he had me speak with you. I am calling on Sean's behalf to receive his father's...and your approval.

(silence)

SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - So Sean wants to pledge?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, sir.
MR. JACKSON - Dad, ask him which fraternity? Ha ha ha!
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - This man is an idiot.
DR. MWATSUMI - It is Iota Phi Theta fraternity sir.
SEAN'S GRANDFATHER - Iota Phi Theta huh?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, sir.

(silence)

MR. JACKSON - Well dad, what do you think?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

JERREL has taken CANDACE to Applebees off campus in hopes of apologizing for the way that they met at Pharoah's last semester.


CANDACE - You know you really don't have to do this.
JERREL - No, I do have to. I want to make it up to you. And it's my pleasure. Just smile and enjoy lunch.

(CANDACE manages a smile.)

HOSTESS - Table for two?
JERREL - Yes. Non-smoking please.

(CANDACE and JERREL are seated.)

JERREL - I am starving. I was hoping you didn't hear my stomach growling in the car on the way over here. Ha ha ha ha.
CANDACE - No I didn't. Your secret was safe until you just told me.
JERREL - Me and my big mouth. Oh well, I guess you won't hold it against me if I order everything on the menu huh?

(CANDACE laughs.)

JERREL - I see what I want already. Do you know what you would like to have?
CANDACE - I'm a ribs girl. I just can't seem to find any good ones like how we do it in the South.
JERREL - I'm sure. I was in Dallas once for a conference and the barbecue out there was great.
CANDACE - Yeah.

(The waitress comes over.)

WAITRESS - Hello, my name is Angela and I will be serving you today. Can I start you off with something to drink?
JERREL - Actually we are ready to order.
ANGELA - Okay, great. What can I get for you?
JERREL - Ladies first.

(CANDACE smiles.)

CANDACE - I'll have the ribs and a lemonade.
WAITRESS - Okay. And how about you sir?
JERREL - Before we get to me, you have to make sure her ribs are good. They have to have that old down-South hickory taste. They have to be slow grilled and really down-home barbecued. I'm talkin' over the grill from behind the outhouse.

(CANDACE and the waitress laugh.)

ANGELA - I'll see what I can do about that sir. No problem.
JERREL - And I'll have the nachos to start and the salmon with mashed potatoes. And give me a lemonade too.
ANGELA - Alright, I'll be right out with your drinks.

(The waitress leaves.)

(silence)

JERREL - So...uh...I hope you like nachos. We can share them, ya know.
CANDACE - Okay, thanks.

(silence)

JERREL - I usually don't share when I'm this hungry. But I'll make an exception today. Ha ha ha.

(CANDACE smiles but doesn't say anything.)

JERREL - So...Candace. Um, I remember you saying that you used to go to Southern University.
CANDACE - That's right.
JERREL - What made you decide to leave there and come to Ahpla?
CANDACE - Nino.
JERREL - Oh. Oh yeah. Right.

(silence)

JERREL - Listen Candace, you don't seem very talkative and you don't seem to be enjoying yourself too much. I hope this wasn't a bad decision to try and rectify what happened by taking you to lunch. It's just that...
CANDACE - Jerrel, I apologize. I don't do this very often. As a matter of fact, I don't do this ever. I haven't gone out like this since...well you know. And it is still rather awkward to me to be sitting across from you without trying to rip your head off.

(JERREL giggles.)

JERREL - Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
CANDACE - I don't know.

(JERREL smiles.)

CANDACE - But don't mind me. It just takes a minute to get through to me. That's all.
JERREL - I have a minute. Actually, I have two minutes; can I lend you one?
CANDACE - That was corny!

(They both laugh.)

CANDACE - But don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate what you are trying to do. Thank you.
JERREL - Please, don't mention it. Thank you for allowing me to treat you.

(The food comes and they eat and chat. They are both hungry so they don't say
too much.)

JERREL - At least they made an attempt at the southern-style ribs.
CANDACE - They don't do it like the South though.
JERREL - Yeah, I know. You gotta take me down home sometime so I can experience that again.

(CANDACE smiles. JERREL pays the bill.)

CANDACE - Once again, thanks for lunch. You really made my day, Jerrel.
JERREL - That's the best thing I've heard all day.

(JERREL smiles as they both get up to leave.)

JERREL - I'm happy that I made your day. Now I'm wondering if I can make your night.

(CANDACE turns to face JERREL.)

JERREL - How does dinner sound this weekend?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

JAHANNA is in the reading lounge of the Callis Student Union. She is alone
reading a book.





JAHANNA thinks - I need to get out of here before I miss the next shuttle bus to the dorm. I can't wait to just lie down and pull the covers over my head!

(JAHANNA places her book down and glances at the clock on the wall.)

JAHANNA thinks - Actually, I have a few minutes. I'm feeling lazy anyway and I don't feel like getting up right now.

(She contines to read.)

QUINTON - Hey Jahanna. What's up girl?

(JAHANNA looks up at QUINTON, who is standing in front of her.)

JAHANNA - Oh, hi, Quinton. I didn't see you walk up.
QUINTON - How you been? You mind if I sit down?
JAHANNA - Naw, go right ahead.
QUINTON - So what's going on?
JAHANNA - Nothing.
QUINTON - You been alright? I haven't seen you around lately.
JAHANNA - Yeah, I'm cool.

(silence)

QUINTON - What's wrong?

(silence)

QUINTON - Hey, what's the matter?

(JAHANNA is looking sad.)

JAHANNA - You got a minute?
QUINTON - Yeah, I got a minute.
JAHANNA - This is between me and you okay?
QUINTON - Of course. What's on your mind?

(JAHANNA looks around to see if anyone else in the room can hear her
conversation with QUINTON.)

JAHANNA - Remember when you first wanted to be an Alpha? How bad you wanted
it?
QUINTON - Yeah. Seems like it was just yesterday. I only pledged last year.
JAHANNA - Yeah. But remember before you pledged? How bad you wanted to do it?
QUINTON - Sure, I remember.
JAHANNA - Well imagine after wanting it so bad, imagine if you didn't get it.
QUINTON - Like if I didn't get put on line?
JAHANNA - Yeah.
QUINTON - That would've hurt.
JAHANNA - You have no idea.
QUINTON - Did that happen to you?

(JAHANNA looks around again before answering.)

JAHANNA - Quinton, I tried out for AKA. And I know it is in my heart. But when I found out that I didn't make it on somewhat of a technicality, I was devastated. I haven't eaten, I can't sleep and I cry every night.
QUINTON - Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, Jahanna.
JAHANNA - I mean, this is something that I really, really wanted. I want it bad. And it is killing me.

(JAHANNA wipes her eyes.)

JAHANNA - I'm sorry, I don't mean to be getting all emotional and bringing you into my problems.
QUINTON - No, that's fine. I asked you what was wrong. And I am glad you are telling me this because being on this side of the fence, maybe I can offer you a different perspective on things.
JAHANNA - Like what?
QUINTON - Well, you and I know that the organization isn't going anywhere. Maybe you can regroup, get yourself together, get your grades as tight as you can get them, and go full-out strong next year.
JAHANNA - That's the thing. I thought about that and I...I don't think I can
do that.
QUINTON - Why not?

(Tears fall from JAHANNA's eyes.)

JAHANNA - Because I can't take rejection.

(silence)

QUINTON thinks - Wow!
QUINTON - Are you sure about that? I mean, you said it was in your heart.
JAHANNA - It is Quinton. But that is why I am dying. I don't think I can take the rejection again. I just need to focus on school.

(silence)

QUINTON - Look, Jahanna. If it is in your heart, then listen to your heart and
it will tell you the right thing to do.

(JAHANNA is wiping tears from her eyes.)

QUINTON - I feel for you because I see the pain in your eyes and in your heart. I know you want it bad and to be honest...if I didn't make line for Alpha, I probably wouldn't have attempted again myself.
JAHANNA - Really?
QUINTON - I don't know. I would have to seriously think about it. It is hard for me to answer that now, but I ain't mad at you for the way that you feel.

(silence)

QUINTON - My advice to you is to listen to your heart and try and be happy. Okay?
JAHANNA - Okay.

(JAHANNA forces a smile.)

QUINTON - Aiight. Well look, I gotta run. But you take care okay? And call me if you need anything. Or just to talk.
JAHANNA - Thank you, Quinton.
QUINTON - No problem.

(She gets up to hug QUINTON and he turns to leave. She sits back down and
looks at the clock.)

JAHANNA thinks - Already missed one shuttle. Might as well wait here for another 15 minutes. Quinton is right though. I am driving myself crazy because I want this so bad, but if this were to happen again...

(JAHANNA pulls her cell phone out.)

JAHANNA thinks - ...if this were to happen again...and what if they decide that I am never worthy of Alpha Kappa Alpha because of what I did? Dag I wish I didn't hit Mona!

(JAHANNA sits back in the chair, holding her cell phone, contemplating if she should use it.)

JAHANNA thinks - I gotta end this. I can't do this again. Ending this now is the best thing, and it may bring some peace to my life. Because I can't go on anymore like this.

(JAHANNA dials.)

OCTAVIA - Hello.

(silence)

OCTAVIA - Hello?
JAHANNA - Hi Octavia, it's Jahanna.
OCTAVIA thinks - Jahanna?
OCTAVIA - Hey, Jahanna. What's up girl?
JAHANNA - I'm okay, how are you?
OCTAVIA - I can't complain. What's going on?
JAHANNA - I need to talk to you about something...important.
OCTAVIA - Okay. What is it?
JAHANNA - Well...I need to let you know that...

(There is another call coming in on JAHANNA's cell phone.)

JAHANNA thinks - Dag!

(JAHANNA looks at the caller ID display on her cell phone.)

JAHANNA thinks - PJ! Shoot! Should I click over?
OCTAVIA - You need to let me know what Jahanna?
JAHANNA thinks - Let me tell Octavia about my decision first. Then I can click over and talk to PJ

No comments: