Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 27

SEAN is at home reading some of the history of Iota Phi Theta fraternity.


SEAN reads - The 1960s was a great time of change for African Americans. The Civil Rights Movement was going strong and the Black Panther Party was rising to power.
SEAN thinks - Interesting.
SEAN reads - The general sentiment of young African Americans was of equal rights and immediate freedom. They wanted change and did not want to rely on the traditions and longstanding orders of some of the old organizations.
SEAN - Hmmmm.
SEAN reads - This sentiment transferred from the rallies, sit-ins and
marches to the minds of college students on at least one campus.
SEAN thinks - Wow.
SEAN reads - And on Sept. 19, 1963, on the campus of Morgan State College in Baltimore, Md., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. was born.
SEAN thinks - Wow!
SEAN reads - The twelve honorable founders are Albert Hicks...

(SEAN writes the name down.)

SEAN thinks - I better start memorizing the founders, just in case.

SEAN reads - Lonnie Spruill Jr., Charles Briscoe...

(SEAN writes these two names down and repeats the three over and over.

SEAN - Albert Hicks, Lonnie Spruill Jr., Charles Briscoe. Albert Hicks, Lonnie Spruill Jr., Charles Briscoe.
SEAN reads - Frank Coakley, John...

(The telephone rings.)

SEAN thinks - Oh shoot! Maybe it's Saifa!
SEAN - Hello?
DR. MWATSUMI - Hello Sean. This is Dr. Mwatsumi.
SEAN - Oh hello sir. How did it go with my dad? I have been dying to talk to
you and find out.
DR. MWATSUMI - Your father has...how do you students say...issues.

(SEAN laughs.)

SEAN - I tried to warn you. Ha ha ha.
DR. MWATSUMI - But I actually got through to him.
SEAN - You did?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes. We had to double-team him though.
SEAN - Double-team? Who?
DR. MWATSUMI - Your father called your grandfather and conferenced him in
with us.
SEAN - He did what! Oh my God! No!
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes he did.
SEAN - Doctor, did he tell my grandfather that I don't want to be an Alpha?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, but...
SEAN - Dag! What the heck did he do that for! Oh now I am never gonna hear the end of it! This is terrible!
DR. MWATSUMI - It's not bad, Sean. Surprisingly your grandfather was happy for
you and he changed your dad's mind.

(silence)

SEAN - What did you say?
DR. MWATSUMI - Your grandfather was happy for you and supports your choice.
Your dad sends a message that he loves you and supports whatever decision you
make.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean? Are you still there?
SEAN - Uh yeah, I'm just in shock.
DR. MWATSUMI - Well don't be. I am serious. Your father and grandfather have
given their blessing. I do still think your father will need some time. But overall, I think great progress was made.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean?
SEAN - I'm gonna be an Iota!

(DR. MWATSUMI laughs.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Well I guess you will if all goes...
SEAN - Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm gonna be an Iota! I'm gonna be an Iota!
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, calm down son, calm down.
SEAN - I'm gonna be an Iota! Ow! Ow! Yeah! Ow! Ow!
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean!
SEAN - Ow! Ow!
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean! Stop that this minute!
SEAN - Huh? What?
DR. MWATSUMI - I will not have you disrespect the organization like this!
Stop that right now!
SEAN - Oh, I'm sorry sir, I was just...
DR. MWATSUMI - I hold Iota Phi Theta in the highest regard and I will not let you disrespect it like that! You seem to be about as mature about things as your father!
SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect Iota.
DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, you have got to learn to take things a lot more serious. This is not a game or a joke. Just in the little I have learned, I know that these brothers mean business and they are not going to waste their time if we are not up to par.
SEAN - Yes sir, I understand.
DR. MWATSUMI - Come by my office tomorrow and we can talk okay?
SEAN - Yes sir.
DR. MWATSUMI - I'll talk to you tomorrow.
SEAN - Yes sir.

(They hang up.)

SEAN thinks - Dag, I am so stupid! That was terrible! But at least I got some good news. I have the green light to go for Iota!

(The phone rings.)

SEAN thinks - Oh, maybe it is the doctor calling back. I hope so because I would like to apologize again.
SEAN - Hello?
SAIFA - Sean, this is Saifa.
SEAN - Oh, hi! How are you doing? I have some good news! My father finally gave in and gave me his blessing to pursue Iota! Not that I needed his permission, but well you know, I kinda wanted it. I just feel like a huge weight has been lifted now and I am so happy.

(silence)

SAIFA - Sean, I don't know how to tell you this but...
SEAN - But what?
SAIFA - ...but...I don't think the brothers are going to decide to establish a
colony at Ahpla after all.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

CHRISTIAN has decided to visit BREANNA unexpectedly to test her devotion in becoming a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority. Her first test, however, is to
call DR. ALEX JEFFERSON.


CHRISTIAN - You're going to have to prove to me that you are worthy of my sorority because recently I have had my doubts. Do you think you can prove it to me?
BREANNA - Yes.
CHRISTIAN - Are you ready to prove to me your worthiness and dedication?
BREANNA - Yes!
CHRISTIAN - And you are ready to do anything I ask you to do?
BREANNA - Yes I am!
CHRISTIAN - Anything?
BREANNA - Anything!
CHRISTIAN - Good.

(CHRISTIAN picks up BREANNA's telephone.)

CHRISTIAN - The first thing I want you to do is call Alex Jefferson.
BREANNA - What?

ALEX - I need something from you.
STACIE - Need something from me? I thought the paperwork that I left with you was complete. You shouldn't need anything more. You just need to sign.
ALEX - I'm not talking about that.
STACIE - Then what are you talking about Alex? Why are you here?
ALEX - I'm here because...

(He pauses.)

ALEX - I'm here because...because...
STACIE - Because what Alex?
ALEX - ...because I want the twins.
STACIE - Because you want what!?

(ALEX clears his throat.)

ALEX - I...um...want my kids. I have a right to my...
STACIE - A right? A right! You don't have a right to...

(The telephone rings.)

ALEX - Stacie, I'm their parent just like you are and...

(The phone rings again and ALEX glances at the caller I.D. next to the
telephone.)

ALEX thinks - Oh my God! It's Breanna!
ALEX - Stacie wait, I need to get this call.

(ALEX picks up the phone and presses the erase button on the caller id to
remove BREANNA's number.)

ALEX - Hello?
BREANNA - Hello Alex, this is Breanna.
ALEX - Um...

(ALEX looks at STACIE who is angrily waiting.)

ALEX - ...um hello?
BREANNA - I need to tell you a few things. I hope I haven't caught you at a bad time. Do you have a moment?
ALEX - Yes.

(BREANNA nods.)

CHRISTIAN - Good.
BREANNA - Good.
CHRISTIAN - First of all, I need to apologize to you.
BREANNA - First of all, I need to apologize to you.
ALEX - Uh...for what?

(BREANNA shrugs her shoulders toward CHRISTIAN.)

CHRISTIAN - I need to apologize for taking advantage of a situation that I
know I should not have.
BREANNA - I need to apologize for taking advantage of a situation that I know
I should not have.
ALEX - I understand. That is fine.
CHRISTIAN - I knew exactly what I was doing when I became involved with you.
BREANNA - I knew exactly what I was doing when I became involved with you.

(CHRISTIAN puts her feet up and looks at her nails as she dictates.)

CHRISTIAN - And then I had the audacity to become upset and blame you.

(BREANNA closes her eyes as she repeats.)

BREANNA - Then I had the audacity to become upset and blame you.
CHRISTIAN - I need to grow up and learn how to accept responsibility for my
actions.
BREANNA - I need to grow up and learn how to accept responsibility for my
actions.
CHRISTIAN - This situation arose out of my own selfish desires.
BREANNA - This situation arose out of my own selfish desires.
CHRISTIAN - And I just wanted to call to admit...
BREANNA - And I just wanted to call to admit...

(CHRISTIAN smiles.)

CHRISTIAN - That you did nothing wrong and I am to blame for it all.

(BREANNA opens her eyes in shock and stares at CHRISTIAN.)

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - That you did nothing wrong and that I am to blame!

(silence)

ALEX - Admit what? Hello? Are you still there?

(CHRISTIAN stands up and points her finger in BREANNA's face.)

CHRISTIAN - You better do what I say and never question my judgment! You did
nothing wrong and I am to blame! Say it!

(BREANNA hangs up the phone.)


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BRENDON has walked in on his twin brother BRANDON and his line brothers the Crescents fighting and arguing. In defense of BRANDON, BRENDON begins to offend Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. BRANDON now confronts BRENDON about it.

CALVIN - Yo Brandon, you better talk to your brother! This don't
concern him!
BRENDON - Forget that! Me and Brandon are deeper than Sigma!
BRANDON - Brendon!
BRENDON - I don't care what y'all are going through! You don't put your hands
on...
BRANDON - Brendon stop!

(CALVIN and MIRI let go of BRANDON. AHMAD lets go of SETH. SETH is staring
angrily at BRENDON.)

SETH - Yo dude, you're about to disrespect my big brothers and the frat! Watch what you say about Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.!
BRENDON - Whatever man! Blood is thicker than bullsh...
BRANDON - Brendon! Shut up! Just shut up!

(BRENDON stops and looks at his brother.)

BRENDON - What? You gonna choose them over me? Your own blood? Your twin?

(BRENDON stares at BRANDON for his answer.)

BRENDON - You gonna choose them over me? Huh?
BRANDON - Brendon it ain't about choosing. I am pledging. I am pledging Phi Beta Sigma. I am a Crescent now and my only goal is to make it into Sigma. And to have my line brothers make it into Sigma with me.
BRENDON - Man they ain't your brothers! And when you cross, they still ain't your brothers! See how many of them got your back when you really need it! I am your brother! I have always been and I will always be!
BRANDON - I'm not saying that you're not! I'm saying...
BRENDON - You know what man, forget you! Forget I'm your brother then! Why
should I have your back if you ain't got mine!
MIRI - Yo Brendon, calm do...
BRENDON - Shut up Miri! Leave me alone!
BRANDON - Brendon listen to me!
BRENDON - Forget you man!

(As BRENDON turns to leave, COREY and HAYDEN walk back into the room from the bedroom.)

COREY - What's going on in here?

(All the Crescents jump to attention and line up.)

HAYDEN - You must be Brendon.
BRENDON - Yeah I'm Brendon. Brandon's...brother!

(BRENDON turns to leave and BRANDON yells out.)

BRANDON - Bren wait!

(BRENDON stops and turns.)

BRENDON - Don't bother! I know you can't jump out of line and chase me down for a conversation! You can't have a sit down with your old twin. Can't talk about old times because you're gonna have new times with them! Fine!

(BRENDON opens the door and slams it behind him.)

COREY - Crescents.
CRESCENTS - Yes dean of pledgees!
COREY - What was that all about?
AHMAD - Brandon's twin thinks his brother is choosing Phi Beta Sigma
Fraternity Inc. over him.
COREY - Crescent Brandon, are you okay?

(silence)

COREY - Crescent Brandon.

(silence)

COREY - Brandon.
BRANDON - Yes dean.

(Tears begin to fall from BRANDON's eyes.)

COREY - Look guys. This has been a long day and we still have lots to do. I want you guys to get your things together and go back to the frat house at Amgis. Is that understood?
CRESCENTS - Yes, dean of pledgees.
COREY - The big brothers and I will meet you guys there. Get going.

(The Crescents start to gather their things as the brothers begin to leave
BRANDON's apartment.)

CALVIN - Guys, how are we supposed to get back to Amgis?
AHMAD - Oh yeah, the big sisters drove us here. We don't have a way
back.
MIRI - We can pile up in my car. It's parked at my place.
CALVIN - Oh cool!

(The Crescents finish packing their stuff and take off for MIRI's place.)

AHMAD - Brandon are you okay man?
BRANDON - Yeah. Guys I am really sorry. I messed everything up by telling the big brothers all of our stuff, and now my brother is pissed at me.
SETH - Don't worry about Brendon. It will be awkward at first because you will be Greek and he will feel left out. But he will be okay. Y'all are brothers and that will always last.

(They arrive at MIRI's place.)

MIRI - Can someone else drive? I am way too sleepy.
SETH - Yeah, I got it.

(SETH takes the keys and MIRI gets in the passenger side. AHMAD, CALVIN, and
BRANDON get in the back and lay across one another.)

BRANDON - I don't think I can take much more of this. Maybe this was a mistake.
CALVIN - You can't quit now. We are too close.
MIRI - Yeah.
CALVIN - Just get some rest now. We're gonna need it for when we get back to the frat house.

(They begin to drive back to Amgis College. Everyone is asleep except SETH
who is driving. They get to a red light and SETH stops.)

SETH - Hey Miri.

(silence)

SETH - Miri!
MIRI - Greetings dean of pledgees!
SETH - No man, it's me.
MIRI - Huh? Oh...what's up?
SETH - I gotta close my eyes for a second. Tell me when the light
turns green.
MIRI - Oh. Okay.

Thirty minutes later...

MIRI - Seth, the light is about to change back to red. Seth?
SETH - I'm up I'm up. Okay thanks man.

(SETH drives off.)

SETH thinks - I'll open the window. The air will wake me up.

(SETH opens the window.)

SETH thinks - Gotta stay awake. Gotta stay....stay...gott...

(SETH nods his head as MIRI opens his eyes.)

MIRI - Oh my God! Seth look out!

No comments: