Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 52

After being spoken to by Big Sister Gamma Ramma, AURORA ALEXIS comes out of the bathroom and meets Kappa Alpha Psi brother MIKE.

(AURORA ALEXIS comes out of the bathroom and turns the corner to enter the living room. PAULA whispers in her ear as she walks by.)

PAULA - You are about to learn your first lesson. How to approach other
Greeks. And you need to learn real quick!

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Other Greeks?

(AURORA ALEXIS looks into the living room at the Kappa, who is sitting on the couch.)

ROSALIND - This is our Aurora Alexis. Aurora, meet Kaptain Kwestion.

AURORA ALEXIS - Greetings Kaptain Kwestion!

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - And greetings to you, too, Aurora Alexis. It is truly a...pleasure...to make your acquaintance!

ROSALIND - Mike, can our pledgee get you something to drink?

MIKE - Oh no, I'm fine. Thanks. I actually won't be here too long, just wanted to meet your Aurora and pass on some words of encouragement.

ROSALIND - Be my guest. Don't take too long though because we have work to do.

MIKE - No problem, this will just take a minute.

(MIKE walks over to AURORA ALEXIS.)

MIKE - So Alexis, how has it been for you so far?

AURORA ALEXIS - It has been okay, Kaptain Kwestion. I just started, so I am maintaining.

MIKE - Good. Hang in there. It is definitely worth it and I would encourage you to stay true to the course and gut it out.

AURORA ALEXIS - Thank you.

MIKE - So tell me, why Sigma Gamma Rho? What made you decide on this organization as opposed to the others?

AURORA ALEXIS - Well Kaptain Kwestion, I was never really interested in a sorority at all. I didn't know much about them but I did observe the strong bond and sisterhood I saw from the members of Sigma Gamma Rho here on campus. Candace...I mean Big Sister Southern Gal was a friend of mine from before. So she often spoke of Sigma Gamma Rho and it piqued my interest.

MIKE - That's good. It's good to know someone in advance.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes. Big Sister Southern Gal has been a great help to me.

MIKE - Okay, continue.

AURORA ALEXIS - I grew an interest in Sigma Gamma Rho and began to investigate the sorority, its founding history, its growth, expansion, and progression, and what the organization is doing in the community now.

MIKE - And what did you think by all that research?

AURORA ALEXIS - I was so impressed by the legacy and what the ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho are involved in.

MIKE - Like?

AURORA ALEXIS - The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., right here at Ahpla U are all about our local community. I was able to accompany the big sisters to the grammar school that they adopted. We speak to the children there, specifically the young ladies, three times a month. I really like that project and hope to leave a lasting impression in their minds.

MIKE - That's cool.

AURORA ALEXIS - They are also very involved with the homeless shelter off campus. They serve meals at the soup kitchen one Saturday out of every month.

MIKE - Really?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Kaptain Kwestion. The big sisters just completed the Sigma Project Harvest canned food drive and collected lots of non-perishable items.

MIKE - Yeah, I saw some fliers for that.

AURORA ALEXIS - And I plan to accompany the big sisters when they go to Ahpla's hospital to spend Halloween making up the disabled children with face paint.

MIKE - Wow, that should be great! I may tag along for that one as well.

AURORA ALEXIS - I am sure they would appreciate your participation Kaptain Kwestion.

(MIKE laughs.)

MIKE - Thanks, Aurora. So, what's the first thing you plan to do once you cross?

AURORA ALEXIS - Thank God, then go to sleep.

(MIKE laughs again.)

MIKE - I know that's right! Ha ha ha ha! You know, I like you Alexis. You're cool.

AURORA ALEXIS - Thank you, Kaptain Kwestion.

MIKE - As you know, I'm a Kappa man and I just crossed. So I'm a neo. And I got your back, you know we got that Indiana thing goin' on. So, I got love for all ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho.

(AURORA ALEXIS wants to smile but doesn't.)

MIKE - If there is anything that you ever need from me, you can find me in this very dorm. Room 7-11. It's very easy to remember. Nod if you understand.

(AURORA ALEXIS nods.)

MIKE - Good.

(MIKE checks his watch.)

MIKE - Okay, I gotta get ready to go now. I'm short on time according to Rhos. I wanted to ask you though, you said that you and Candace were friends before you started to pursue Sigma Gamma Rho. How do y'all know one another?

AURORA ALEXIS - Well her ex-boyfriend, God rest his soul, was an Alpha. And my boyfriend is an Alpha. They were very close before Nino passed away. So I know her because of that.

MIKE - Nino...oh yeah, I remember when he passed away. What a tragedy.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes.

MIKE - Yeah.

(silence)

MIKE - So, your boyfriend now is an Alpha?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, his name is Quinton.

MIKE - Quinton! Quinton is your man? Yeah, I know Q!

AURORA ALEXIS - You do, Kaptain Kwestion?

MIKE - Yeah! I just saw him recently.

AURORA ALEXIS - You did? Where?

MIKE - Ummm...I can't really...remember. Oh well, I gotta go.
AURORA ALEXIS - Wait, please Kaptain Kwestion. When did you see Quinton? Will you see him again? Can you get a message to him?

MIKE - I'm trying to remember where...exactly...I saw him...at...

(MIKE is looking up at the ceiling trying to remember, rubbing his forehead.)

MIKE - Oh yeah, didn't I see him at...

(MIKE stops abruptly and looks at ALEXIS. He then stops himself.)

MIKE - Oh...uh...nevermind...uh...um...I gotta go.

AURORA ALEXIS - Wait, you remember where you saw him? You remember where you saw Quinton?

MIKE - Well, yes...but I don't want to worry you or get something started. You have enough to worry about with your big sisters.

AURORA ALEXIS - Worry me? Oh God, what do you mean?

MIKE - Nothing...uh, nothing. Listen, it was wonderful meeting you. I really must be goi...

AURORA ALEXIS - Kaptain Kwestion, please!

(silence)

(MIKE looks over his shoulder at the big sisters to see if they are
approaching.)

MIKE whispers ? Okay, listen. I'm only telling you this Aurora because I like you and because we got that Indiana love like I mentioned before. And I hate to see you get played like this.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Get played?

MIKE whispers - But, I saw Quinton...

(MIKE pauses.)

MIKE whispers - ...I saw Quinton leaving Donna's room real early this
morning...and he kissed her when he left!

SCENE 2

The brothers of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., are gathering on the campus of Amgis College for their annual interest meeting.

(There are several members of Omega, who are already taking their seats, as well as men from Amgis' campus who are interested in Omega Psi Phi.)

TY - What's up, bruh!?

(TY approaches one of the Amgis College Ques.)

KENNY - Ty Dog! What's up, team!?

TY - I'm cool, man! Ready to get this started, dude!

KENNY - Oh, no doubt!

TY - Y'all got a nice crowd. Lots of dudes here.

(KENNY looks around the room, which is starting to fill.)

KENNY - Yeah bruh, we usually pack the place out when we do our interest meeting.

TY - Cool!

(BUCK walks over.)

BUCK - What's up, Ty?

TY - What's up, Dog!

BUCK - Chillin' chillin. You ready to speak?

TY - Man, as ready as ever.

BUCK - Good man. Say some good things about the frat.

TY - All I got are good things to say!

(They laugh.)

KENNY - It's good to see you smiling Ty. I had gotten used to seeing you on line and that image of you is stuck in my mind! Ha ha ha ha!

TY - Well, forget that man! That's behind me now, thank God! Ha ha ha ha!

(A brother approaches the podium on a small stage. There are chairs lined up behind him and a few brothers casually talking on the stage.)

CLARENCE - If everyone would take his seat; we're set to begin.

KENNY - Aight man, go take your seat on the platform.

(KENNY smiles at TY.)

TY - Cool, bruh.

BUCK - You aren't nervous are you?

TY - Naw, man. I can talk about Omega all day long.

BUCK - Cool. Do your thing, Dog.

TY - Thanks. And thank you bruhs for lettin' me be a part of y?all's program.

BUCK - Ain't no thing, Dog. Glad to have you.

(BUCK shakes TY's hand and TY walks toward the stage.)

RONNIE - I'm glad that the bruhs here let Ty do the history of the frat. That's cool.

DRE - Yeah. It's a good way to get him accustomed to speaking on behalf of the frat. And the bruhs here at Amgis are mad cool.

(RONNIE and DRE take a seat in the section reserved for members of Omega Psi Phi.)

CLARENCE - Good evening. My name is Clarence and I would like to welcome you the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., annual meeting of interest. Tonight you will find out the history and beginning of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., the history of the chapter here at Amgis College, and hear a keynote address by our very own Dr. Kyle A. Dunbar, the chairman of the Board of Trustees of Amgis College.

(Everyone claps for Dr. Dunbar, and he smiles and waves.)

CLARENCE - So, without any further ado, please let me welcome Brother Frank Nious, who will bring the invocation.

(CLARENCE sits down and FRANK approaches the podium.)

FRANK - Please bow your heads...Lord, thank you for this gathering and these great men that you have allowed to...

RONNIE whispers - They got a huge crowd. That's good.

DRE - Shhhh.

FRANK - ...in your son, Jesus' name, amen.

(Everyone says amen and FRANK takes his seat.)

CLARENCE - Thank you, brother Nious. Brotherhood is essential in Omega as you will hear and see. We are close to our brothers at neighboring Ahpla University and have invited that chapter's newest member to deliver the history of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. So, help me welcome Brother Ty from Ahpla University's chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.

(Everyone claps as TY approaches the podium. BUCK leans over to whisper to KENNY.)

BUCK whispers - This has to be the largest crowd we've ever had for an interest meeting.

KENNY whispers - Yeah. Hey, ain't that dude right there on the basketball team with you?

(KENNY motions to a student in the front row.)

BUCK whispers - Yeah, I didn't know Chip wanted to be a Que! How's he not gonna mention it!

KENNY whispers - 'Cuz you so laid back with yours.

BUCK whispers - Yeah.

(BUCK looks around the other direction.)

BUCK whispers - Speaking of basketball-team dudes that all of a sudden wanna be Ques...

(BUCK looks closer.)

BUCK whispers - Is that...Derrick?

SCENE 3

The brothers of Omega Psi Phi and the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha have left. Now, the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta are alone with the Pyramid pledgees and are ready to start working with them.

(There is a knock on the door.)

ROBIN - Damn Larry! Enough is enough!

(ROBIN opens the door.)

ROBIN - Man, how far are you gonna take a jok...oh, I thought you were someone else! My bad, Soror, come on in. Good to see ya!

(ROBIN steps aside.)

STACIE - Thanks, Robin. It's good to see you, too!

WILLIE - Hey Stacie!

(CHRISTIAN turns around.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Stacie! Oh God!

(STACIE and ROBIN hug. WILLIE then hugs STACIE.)

WILLIE - How have you been? You okay?

(STACIE stares at CHRISTIAN, who is looking very nervous.)

STACIE - I've been maintaining. Just had a lot on my mind.

(PYRAMID BREANNA taps PYRAMID THERESA and whispers.)

PYRAMID BREANNA whispers - We need to say a greeting for her!

PYRAMID THERESA thinks - God! Haven't we greeted enough for one day?

PYRAMIDS - Greetings Big Sister Stacie Jefferson!

(STACIE doesn't respond, she continues to stare at CHRISTIAN.)

CHRISTIAN - Hey Stacie! Um...I really wish I could stay and chat, but I have to take the girls out. We need some dean/pledgee alone time.

ROBIN thinks - Out?

STACIE - No, you don't.

CHRISTIAN - Yeah, I actually do. I need to be out, so I guess I'll just talk to y'all...

STACIE - You're not going anywhere.

(WILLIE and ROBIN are looking very confused.)

WILLIE - What's going on?

(STACIE turns to the Pyramids.)

STACIE - Pyramids...

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister!

STACIE - Your big sisters are about to have a meeting. I want you two to go home, shower and change, and wait for your next instruction. It would behoove you to use this time wisely and study the history of the sorority.

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister!

CHRISTIAN - Wait, you can't make them leave! I got something for them to do! I need to take them to...

STACIE - You two are dismissed. Wait for our call.

WILLIE - What in the world is going on?

ROBIN - I'm confused. Why are you...

CHRISTIAN - Stacie, don't do this!

(The Pyramids grabs their coats and are walking toward the door.)

CHRISTIAN - Stacie...can we talk about this...in private?

(STACIE ignores CHRISTIAN and holds the door open for the Pyramids.)

CHRISTIAN - Stacie!

(STACIE ignores her.)

CHRISTIAN - Pyramids!

(BREANNA and THERESA stop in the doorway and turn around.)

PYRAMIDS - Yes, Big Sister DSTeazy off the Heazy fo Sheazy My Neazy!

CHRISTIAN - I am your dean! Don't go anywhere!

(silence)

STACIE - Pyramids, go home and wait for our call.

(Everyone is looking at one another.)

CHRISTIAN - Pyramids, don't go anywhere! Come back in this room and sit down!

STACIE - Pyramids...I said to go home, get yourselves together, and wait for our call.

WILLIE - Wait, sorors, what is going on? Can someone please tell me what's goin' on?

No comments: