Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 43

JUNE is walking across the Amgis College campus. She is walking toward the library.

JUNE thinks - He hasn't been at home; hasn't returned my calls and if he ain't at the library, then there's only one other place he could possibly be.

(JUNE looks up at the clock tower and checks the time.)

JUNE thinks - And if I'm not mistaken, he has to be there right about now. Good! I know he is in the gym!

(JUNE changes direction and walks toward the Amgis gym.)

JUNE thinks - Yeah, he may avoid me but he certainly ain't avoiding practice.

(JUNE enters the gym and can hear basketballs bouncing and people talking. She walks into the area where practice is being held and sits in the bleachers. She begins to look for BUCK.)

JUNE thinks - Where the heck is he? The whole team is here and he isn't? I know he wouldn't skip practice!

(JUNE looks around again and doesn't see BUCK on the floor anywhere. The coach blows the whistle and the guys get a five-minute water break. As one of the players approaches the bench, JUNE approaches him.)

JUNE - Excuse me.

TONY - Yeah, wassup?

JUNE - Is Buck at practice today? I don't see him.

TONY - Oh yeah, coach sent him downstairs with the one of the freshmen. He is in the small gym down there. Go back out towards the lobby and just go downstairs. You can't miss it.

JUNE - Oh okay, thanks a lot.

(JUNE heads toward the lobby.)

JUNE thinks - I knew my baby had to be here.

(JUNE hurries downstairs and follows the sound of a basketball bouncing to a much smaller gym, where she can already see guys running back and forth on the floor.)

JUNE thinks - This must be the place!

(JUNE walks in and immediately sees BUCK playing one-on-one with another player. She quietly sits on a bench in the corner.)

VERNON - Yo man, ain't that your girl?

BUCK - Where?

(BUCK turns around and sees JUNE as VERNON steals the ball from him and playfully makes a shot.)

VERNON - Pay attention, player! Ha ha ha ha ha!

BUCK - Whatever, man!

VERNON - Hey, I'm gonna head back upstairs. So, you and your lady can chit-chat. I don't wanna get in the way; three's a crowd ya know?

BUCK - Naw, dude, you ain't gotta leave. Chill.

VERNON - You don't want some alone-time with your girl?

(BUCK looks over his shoulder at JUNE, who is patiently waiting.)

BUCK - Like I said, man...

(BUCK takes a jump shot and misses.)

BUCK - Don't leave on my account.

(VERNON looks at JUNE and decides to leave.)

VERNON - Whatever, man, even I can see that y'all need to talk, so I'm heading upstairs. See ya in a few.

BUCK - Aight, playa.

(BUCK continues to take shots as VERNON grabs his towel.)

VERNON - Hey, how you doin'?

JUNE - Fine, thanks!

(JUNE smiles as VERNON leaves. She turns her attention back to BUCK who is shooting baskets.)

JUNE thinks - He isn't even going to speak?

(She gets up and walks across the floor toward him. He has his back turned to her and is shooting.)

JUNE - Hello.

BUCK - Hey.

(silence)

JUNE - I left you several messages. You didn't get them?

BUCK - Sorry...been kinda busy.

JUNE - Kinda busy?

(BUCK takes a shot and misses.)

JUNE - So busy that you didn't bother to call me back or anything?

(BUCK doesn't answer but takes another shot and misses badly. He runs after the ball and grabs it, then walks back.)

JUNE - Buck, what is the matter with you?

BUCK - What's the matter with me? What's the matter with me?

(BUCK raises his voice.)

BUCK - You got some nerve asking me that.

JUNE - Some nerve? Buck what are you talking about?

(BUCK goes to take another shot and JUNE runs in front of him and grabs the ball.)

JUNE - Buck talk to me! What's wrong with you!

BUCK - What's wrong with you, June! It ain't what's wrong with me; it's what's wrong with you!

JUNE - Huh?

BUCK - You got me so upset, I can't even think straight! I'm here screwin' up at practice...coach made me come down here and work out with the stupid freshmen team...and I haven't made a freakin' shot all day!

JUNE - Buck, I've been leaving you messages all day! I told you that I didn't know you were at the basketball court...well I didn't know it was you!

BUCK - Yeah, I got your message! But if it wasn't me, then who the heck could it have been? If you have a boyfriend, and you receive flowers and a note, why in the world wouldn't you think that the flowers came from him? Huh?

JUNE - Because I thought they came from...

(JUNE stop herself.)

BUCK - Derrick, huh! You thought they came from Derrick!

(JUNE looks up at BUCK.)

BUCK - Why is he even still a thought in your mind? You told me you were over him! But why in the world would you even think that a bouquet of flowers and an invitation would come from your ex and not from your man? Tell me that!

JUNE - Because...because he...

BUCK - And tell me why did I see him with his arm around you at the basketball court!


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

JASON was being intimate with WILLIE when she called out DEXTER's name. In anger, JASON began to reminisce an argument with THERESA in which he hit her severely.


THERESA - No Jason, this is all your fault! None of this would've happened if you would have just been honest with me from the start! You never told me you wanted to pledge!

(JASON clinches his fist tightly.)

THERESA - If you were a real man, you would've told me your true intentions!

Real men don't hide and sneak around, Jason! But you haven't learned that yet have you! As a matter of fact, you have a lot to learn Jason! A lot to learn about being...

(THERESA smiles as she pauses.)

THERESA - ...a real man! And another thing...

(JASON pulls back his arm and starts to follow through to hit THERESA when he is startled by a scream.)

WILLIE screams - Jason, no!

(JASON unleashes and throws his fist as hard as he can. WILLIE shuts her eyes and waits for the pain of JASON's fist against her face.)

(silence)

(WILLIE opens her eyes to see that JASON threw his punch to the right of her face into a pillow. He is staring at her.)

WILLIE - Get off me! Get off me!

(WILLIE begins to kick and JASON gets off of her.)

JASON - Willie?

WILLIE - You were gonna hit me Jason! Don't you ever put your hands on me! Do you hear me!

JASON - No, I wasn't...I mean...I thought that...

(WILLIE starts to pull her sweater over her head.)

WILLIE - Jason, I apologize! I am so sorry for saying what I said...but don't you ever hit me!

JASON thinks - What she said?

JASON - What you said...you said...you said Dexter's name...

WILLIE - And Jason I am sorry for that! Believe me, I don't know where that came from...I wasn't thinking about him or anything...I just...

JASON - You know; I need a walk.

(silence)

JASON - I'll talk to you later.

(JASON turns and buttons his shirt and grabs his jacket.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag!

WILLIE - Jason...

(JASON walks out and closes the door behind him.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag!

(WILLIE falls back on her bed and stares at the ceiling. She brings her hands up and covers her face.)

WILLIE - What the heck was I thinking!? I said Dex's name while we were...oh, God!

(WILLIE sits up and walks to her dresser. She opens the second drawer and reaches way into the back. She grabs an envelope that is full of pictures.

She sits back on the bed and begins to go through the pictures and remembers that day.)

WILLIE thinks - I haven't thought about Dexter in months...I wonder why that came out like that. It just came out.

(She looks at the first picture. It is of her and DEXTER at last year's Delta-Omega cabaret.)

WILLIE thinks - This was such a nice party. We really had a good time.

(She looks at a few more pictures. She picks up one from her probate show of her and DEXTER on the yard.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag, he looks so cute!

DEXTER - You're thinking that I look cute aren't you?

(WILLIE smiles.)

DEXTER - Willie, I know you like the back of my hand!

WILLIE - Actually I was thinking that! Ha ha ha ha. You do look cute in your letters!

DEXTER - Does it fit me well?

(DEXTER raises his arms and throws the Omega sign.)

WILLIE - Very well! Hee hee.

(A girl approaches WILLIE and DEXTER.)

GIRL - Y'all did a really good job today! Congratulations.

WILLIE - Oh thanks!

(WILLIE smiles and the girl walks away.)

DEXTER - Y'all really did do a good show. I taped it all for ya. You looked great, Boo.

WILLIE - Thanks! We've been practicing for weeks, so we better look good! Ha ha.

(RONNIE walks over.)

RONNIE - Big Wil!

(RONNIE gives WILLIE a big hug.)

WILLIE - Hey Ronnie!

RONNIE ' Y'all were tight! Representin'! Roof, roof!

(DRE and LAMAAR walk over.)

WILLIE - Hey guys!

LAMAAR ' Wassup little lady! Nice show! I see all those nights of set didn't go to waste! Y'all are tight and y'all know your stuff!

WILLIE ' Oh, but of course! Ha ha ha ha! Thanks!

LAMAAR - And your greetings were real tight!

(WILLIE smiles.)

WILLIE - Thanks!

DRE ' Dex, you almost ready to roll, bruh?

(WILLIE looks at DEXTER surprised as ROBIN and CHRISTIAN walk over.)

WILLIE - Roll? Roll where?

LAMAAR - Bruhs bout to hang out! I just came back in town to hang with the bruhs and meet my new chapter neos. So we gonna go chill and kick it before I gotta leave in the morning. I got an early flight out of here.

WILLIE - Dex, I thought you said we could watch the video of the probate tonight that you just shot.

(silence)

ROBIN - Hey y'all, let's give them a minute aight? All up in their mix! Just like bruhs and sorors! Sheesh! Ha ha ha ha.

(Everyone laughs and walks away.)

WILLIE - Dexter you promised.

DEXTER - Willie...I mean Lamaar is leaving tomorrow and bruhs are about to be out...

WILLIE - Dexter you always do this! Why do you always do this?

DEXTER - I don't always do anything. You're exaggerating again. When is the last time I had a change of plans like this? I mean I got a prophyte in town.

WILLIE - Last Saturday we were supposed to go to the movies.

DEXTER - Yeah, but we had an emergency meeting. I told you we had to decide who was going to conclave, and this is my first one. I want to go and you know...aw, come on, boo.

WILLIE - What about last Thursday night? Sorors had our going-over dinner and you didn't even come for me!

DEXTER - I told you about that already. Bruhs were getting together because we were gonna step on the yard the next day on Friday, and me and Ronnie don't know the words. What you want me to do? Just stand around while bruhs are hoppin' without me?

(RONNIE calls out to DEXTER.)

RONNIE - Yo dog, you comin' or what?

DEXTER looks back at WILLIE. WILLIE puts all the pictures back into the envelope. As she is placing the envelope back into her drawer she sees that she has two messages on her answering machine.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag, I missed two calls?

(She presses play.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - Willie, this is Stacie. I have something really important to talk to you about. Please call me when you get this message.

(BEEP)

WILLIE thinks - What's that about?

ANSWERING MACHINE - Hey it's me. Chris is starting the line tonight...

WILLIE - Tonight!

ANSWERING MACHINE - ...so meet us at the spot and we will...

(WILLIE grabs her jacket and purse and runs out the door.)


:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 3

MONA FERGUSON is conducting an interest meeting for the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., in her dorm room. Her mother, SOROR MELINDA FERGUSON has just arrived.


SOROR FERGUSON - Sorry, I am a few minutes late, Mona. But I couldn't find a place to park outside.

MONA - That's okay, mommy. They just arrived themselves.

SOROR FERGUSON - Oh, okay, good. Did any sorors get here yet?

MONA - Uh...no mom. Most of them had something to do tonight.

SOROR FERGUSON - Something to do?

MONA - Yeah. Something to do.

SOROR FERGUSON - How can that be? What is more important than a sorority interest meeting?

(MONA shrugs as she answers.)

MONA - I think there's some kind of skee-phi party tonight. A couple of sorors were talking about going over to that. So I guess they felt that that was more important!

SOROR FERGUSON - A party! Sorors went to a party?

(SOROR FERGUSON recognizes that she has raised her voice so she quiets down to a whisper.)

SOROR FERGUSON whispers - A party! What in the world are they...?

MONA - Mom, mom, mom...we can't go into that now. We have a meeting to conduct.

(MONA nods toward the girls in her room that are talking among themselves.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Okay, Mona. Okay. You're right as usual, sweetie. Let's get this meeting underway, and I will be sure to get to the bottom of this situation later! Be sure of that!

(MONA smiles as she enters the other room where the others are.)

MONA - Hello, everyone.

(The ladies turn their attention toward MONA.)

MONA - As you all know, my name is Mona Ferguson and I am a soror of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., here at Ahpla University. But what many of you may not know is that this is my mother, also a soror of Alpha Kappa Alpha, and charter member of my chapter here at Ahpla. This is Soror Melinda Ferguson.

(SOROR FERGUSON smiles.)

AMY - Oh my gosh, what a pleasure to meet you! I saw your name in the history that I have been studying!

SOROR FERGUSON - Thank you, nice to meet you, too.

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I wish the chapter sorors felt the way about AKA that this young lady seems to!

MONA - Well, let me begin by saying a few things about my beloved sorority.

Pledging AKA was the best thing I have ever done -- just the love of the sisterhood, having my mother as a soror, and then attending my first boule in Orlando this year, have made this so worth it. But from a more historical standpoint...

(MONA pauses.)

MONA - Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. was founded on the campus of Howard University in the year...

(MONA looks up at the ceiling as she is trying to remember.)

MONA - ...in ...

LINDA - 1908.

MONA - Oh yeah! Ha ha ha! I got so overwhelmed with emotion; I'm not thinking. Thank you.

(Everyone laughs.)

MONA - As I was saying, Alpha Kappa...

(There is a knock on the door.)

MONA - Ooops, more people. Hold on a second, ladies.

(MONA walks over and opens the door.)

MONA - Hey!

THERESA - What's up! I got the Delta pledge book right here!

MONA - Good! Let me see it and I'll let you see my AKA pledge stuff, just like I promised!

(THERESA smiles.)

MONA - Come on in. I'm just having a little meeting.

(THERESA walks in.)

MONA - Everyone, this is Theresa. Now take a good look! Here you have a
Pyramid pledgee of that other sorority...Delta Sigma Theta! Ha ha ha ha!

THERESA - Mona!

(THERESA slaps MONA's arm.)

MONA - I'll be right back, I got what you need in the bedroom. Excuse me everyone.

(MONA goes into her room.)

SOROR FERGUSON - So Theresa, you are on your way to Delta land, huh?

THERESA - Uh...yes ma'am.

SOROR FERGUSON - That's good. They have a strong chapter here at Ahpla.

THERESA - Yes ma'am.

SOROR FERGUSON - Just make sure that when you are a sister, you never let the important things get overlooked. Always remember that, Theresa.

THERESA - Yes ma'am.

THERESA thinks - Whatever!

(MONA comes back.)

MONA - You know T, I must have misplaced my...uh...book that you need. If you leave yours here, I can look for it after my meeting and call you later on.

THERESA - Sure.

(THERESA hands MONA her Delta Sigma Theta pledge book and walks toward the door.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Good luck, Theresa.

THERESA - Thank you, Mrs. Ferguson.

(MONA lets her out and returns to the meeting.)

MONA - I am so sorry, everyone. I really didn't expect company and that is why I wanted to do this here. I wanted to make this as informal as possible so everyone can relax. Now, where was I?

CHARMAINE - You were about to discuss the history of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

MONA - Oh yes. Thank you. Okay, Alpha Kappa Alpha was...

(There is a knock on the door.)

MONA - Wow! We can't even get a sentence out! Ha ha ha ha! Maybe this is another girl interested in AKA!

(MONA walks over and opens the door to see JAHANNA standing there with her arms crossed.)

No comments: