Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 48

The brothers of Phi Beta Sigma have arrived at their frat house on Amgis' campus with their new members. There are gifts everywhere, and amid the celebration, BRANDON and SHARONDA are exchanging words.

(SHARONDA taps BRANDON on his shoulder.)

SHARONDA - Hey, Man...congratulations!

(BRANDON turns around, looks at SHARONDA but doesn't speak.)

SHARONDA - You're so happy, you're speechless, huh? Ha ha ha ha.

BRANDON - No Sharonda, actually, I have nothing to say to you.

SHARONDA - What?

(BRANDON starts to walk away from SHARONDA.)

SHARONDA - Wait! What's the matter with you?

(BRANDON speaks harshly but keeps his voice down.)

BRANDON - What's the matter with me? How about the fact that you almost let my brother cross into Phi Beta Sigma!

SHARONDA - I was doing that for you.

BRANDON - For me? How does letting my brother see something so secret help me any?

SHARONDA - It would've helped you because if I hadn't done that, and you didn't show up in the nick of time, you wouldn't be a Sigma until next year sometime...Frat!

BRANDON - Well, don't do me any more favors, alright? I don't want my brother knowing Phi Beta Sigma information!

SHARONDA - And I think you should be a little more grateful to me! I tried to help!

(DENICE walks out of the kitchen and approaches BRANDON and SHARONDA.)

BRANDON - I don't need your help!

SHARONDA - Oh yeah? Well, next time I won't offer it!

DENICE - Hey, hey, hey...what's going on here?

BRANDON - Nothing!

(BRANDON turns and walks away suddenly.)

DENICE - Sharonda, what the heck is going on?

(SHARONDA is staring away looking very mad.)

DENICE - Sharonda, what happened?

SHARONDA - All I know is you better keep your...man...away from me from now on. Unless you want him to find out that he really ain't your man!

DENICE thinks - Oh, my God!

(SHARONDA walks away.)

CURT - Brothers! All my brothers, please gather around.

(Everyone comes together.)

CURT - On this most historic, and momentous night, we want to say congratulations to our new line! And, welcome to the brotherhood of Phi Beta Sigma!

VICTOR - Yeah!

HAYDEN - Blue! Blue!

(Everyone claps for the new guys.)

CURT - And now, the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for.

(CURT grabs his backpack off the floor and grabs a piece of paper from inside.)

CURT - Okay. Like I said, we are very proud of your performance. We love you all. We took a long time thinking of the name of your line and what it means. So, here goes. The name of the 2002 line of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., Amgis College and Ahpla University is...

(CURT pauses.)

CURT - Hey, did anybody see that outfit Serena Williams had on?

AHMAD - Man, stop playin'!

(Everyone laughs.)

CURT - Alright, just kidding. We went back to when you guys were pledging and you recreated the courtroom scene.

(He pauses with a smile.)

CURT - Your line's name is Case No. 1914: Trial by Jury.

BRANDON thinks - That is hot!

CURT - And, your second name is ?Blue Phive!?

SETH - Yes!

CURT - Now, individually. Crescent Number 1, Ahmad.

AHMAD - Man, I ain't no Crescent, no more!

(Everyone laughs.)

CURT - My bad, Frat. You haven't been a Crescent for an hour now! Ha ha ha ha. In keeping with the court and the judicial proceedings, your name is ?Deliberation.?

(HAYDEN gives AHMAD a blue shirt. It has the letters on the front, and on the back it says "Deliberation" on the top, the number "1" in the middle and "Blue Phive!" on the bottom.)

AHMAD - Thanks man! I love it!

CURT - Number 2! Seth, you are "Point of Order."

(SETH hugs CURT and HAYDEN, and gets his shirt.)

CURT - Number 3, Calvin, is "Presumed Innocence"! Congratulations!

CALVIN - Thanks, dean!

CURT - Number 4, Brandon.

(BRANDON steps up.)

CURT - Brandon, you are "Forgotten Testimony"!

BRANDON - Ha ha ha! How appropriate! Thanks, dean!

CURT - And last but not least, Miri, Number 5. You are "Poetic Justice"!

MIRI - That, I am! Blue Phi!

(MIRI's line brothers respond.)

SIGMAS - You know!

MIRI - Blue Phi!

SIGMAS - You know!

(Everyone in the room laughs. All the neos put their shirts on.)

SALEEMA - I hope y'all are hungry! We got the food ready.

SETH - Well, let us serve you, sorors! Y'all have worked hard enough already!

SALEEMA - Ooooh, I like him! Hee hee.

BRANDON - Hey Miri, I love your name, man!

MIRI - I like yours, too! Hey, thanks for stickin' with me through all of this! I love you, Man!

BRANDON - Hey Man, you'd do it for me! And now, we're frat! The only Sigmas on Ahpla's campus! 'Bout to take over by blue storm!

MIRI - Speaking of which, I need to run!

BRANDON - You do? Where you going?

(MIRI is already heading toward the door.)

MIRI - I gotta go see Gina! She'll be so surprised to see me!
:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 2

MIKE is in BRENDON's room bragging about his accomplishment of pledging and crossing into Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. BRENDON becomes frustrated by MIKE's constant bragging.

(MIKE comes back out of the bathroom.)

MIKE - Yeah, Playa...ha ha! Feels good to be a Nupe! Yo...

(MIKE poses.)

MIKE - ...baby...

(MIKE poses again.)

MIKE - ...yo!

BRENDON - Mike, if you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about this! Okay!

(MIKE looks at BRENDON surprised.)

MIKE - Excuse me?

(BRENDON thinks before he speaks again.)

BRENDON - Look, man, I know you're happy that you crossed. And I'm happy for you. But do you have to keep talking about it every second?

MIKE - Yes, I do.

BRENDON - Huh?

MIKE - Brendon, don't hate because I did what you wanted to do.

BRENDON thinks - What!

BRENDON - I'm not hatin' at all! I said, I was happy for you!

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - Yeah, I bet you are -- real happy.

(MIKE is smiling and sounds very sarcastic.)

BRENDON - What you tryin' to say, Man?

MIKE - I'm tryin' to say that there are a lot of haters creepin' around on Ahpla's yard all of a sudden! Soon as a brother is finished handlin' his business, everybody got somethin' to say! First, it was the Alphas, now you!

BRENDON - Huh?

MIKE - Haters, Man! I swear!

BRENDON - I said, I wasn't hatin' Mike. All I'm sayin' is...Man never mind.

MIKE - Naw, say it now. You started, finish it.

(silence)

BRENDON - All I'm sayin', Man, is that it hurts, okay. I wanted to do it...Brandon went ahead and did his thing...and I got left behind. So, it hurts when it gets waved around in my face like a flag or something. That's all.

(there is a long silence)

MIKE - Well, you're gonna have to suck that up, Playa. Ha ha ha ha.

BRENDON thinks - What?

MIKE - Yo, I'm out, Man. I gotta run.

BRENDON thinks - Good!

MIKE - Later, Dude.

(MIKE heads for the door.)

BRENDON - Yeah, Man...later.

(MIKE closes the door behind him and laughs all the way to the elevator.)

MIKE thinks - Man, people kill me. If he had done it, I would be genuinely happy for him. I wouldn't be hatin'!

(MIKE gets on the elevator and goes up.)

MIKE thinks - That's okay though, I'll just be the Nupe that everybody loves to hate! Whatever.

(He gets off the elevator.)

MIKE thinks - I'll visit the one person that I know is in my corner. At least she ain't against a brother!

(MIKE knocks on DONNA's door.)

KATRICE whispers - Shhhh, don't answer that.

DONNA whispers - Mmmmm...okay!

(MIKE waits a few seconds and knocks again.)

MIKE - Oh well, guess she ain't home. I'll call her later.

(MIKE walks back to the elevator.)

MIKE thinks - Brendon better keep his cool around me. He knows I vote on him next year.

(MIKE pushes the elevator button.)

MIKE thinks - He may want to apologize for that.

(The door opens and MIKE gets in. He pushes the button for the lobby.)

MIKE thinks - Yep...everybody hatin' on those Notorious Nupes! But I'm gonna show all them haters the deal! All of 'em!

(The elevator stops on the fourth floor on the way down.)

MIKE thinks - Dag!

(As the elevator door opens, QUINTON steps on and stops in his tracks as he and MIKE come face to face.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

DERRICK has admitted to CARYN that he still has strong feelings for his ex-girlfriend JUNE, and wants to rekindle a relationship with her. CARYN in turn convinces DERRICK to sleep with her one last time, but pierces a hole in the condom unbeknownst to DERRICK.

(DERRICK goes into the bedroom and CARYN finds a condom. She turns around to see if he is looking, then uses a hair pin to poke a tiny hole in the condom, through the package.)

DERRICK - Hey, what's taking you so long?

CARYN - Just wanted to make sure I had a condom. I found one.

CARYN thinks - And I just wanted to make sure you never leave me...daddy!

(CARYN goes into the bedroom holding the pierced condom.)

DERRICK thinks - One last time with Caryn, then I can focus all of my energies on getting June from Buck!

(CARYN gets undressed.)

DERRICK thinks - Buck gets on my nerves! He's such a hater! He doesn't love June the way I do! He's just with her to make me mad and she can't even see that!

(CARYN gets in the bed smiling.)

DERRICK thinks - She can't see his scheme because she is so sweet, innocent, and naive. That is almost what is so cute about her. I knew it would hurt her one day, but she is just too nice and trusting!

(CARYN begins to kiss on DERRICK.)

CARYN - You ready, Big Daddy?

DERRICK - Uh, yeah...sure.

DERRICK thinks - And June certainly was cute when I saw her last! Dag! She looks good even when she's sleepy! I miss that girl so much!

(DERRICK closes his eyes and remembers a game in which he was looking from the basketball court into the bleachers. Everyone in the Ahpla Dome was screaming, and DERRICK doesn't see JUNE anywhere. )

DERRICK thinks - Where the heck is she?

(Before DERRICK takes his free throw shot, he kisses his finger and holds it in the air. He swings his finger around in a circle. This is something he does before each foul shot.)

DERRICK - I don't know where you're sittin', Boo, but this kiss is for you!

(DERRICK takes the shot.)

CARYN - What's the matter?

DERRICK - Huh? What?

(DERRICK snaps out of his daydream.)

CARYN - You're not...you're not functioning....

DERRICK - What do you mean?

(DERRICK looks down at himself.)

DERRICK thinks - Oh shoot!

DERRICK - I'm sorry, Caryn. I got some things on my mind, and I guess I'm just not in the mood.

CARYN - Not in the mood? But...but...you have to be in the mood! We have to do this!

(DERRICK starts to get out of the bed.)

DERRICK - Why? What's the big deal?

CARYN thinks - Think fast, Girl!

CARYN - You're just so good...and I know I ain't gonna be gettin' it again...

(DERRICK smiles.)

DERRICK - I'm sure you'll find someone to suit your needs!

(DERRICK starts to get dressed.)

CARYN - Derrick wait...you don't understand...we have to do it now! I need you now, Baby!

DERRICK thinks - Dag, girls be beggin' me for it!

DERRICK - Call me tomorrow, okay? I may come and pick up Lil? Derrick from ya.

CARYN - Derrick wait...let's try...

(SLAM)

DERRICK thinks - Ha ha ha, She is off the hook!

(DERRICK begins to walk down the hall.)

DERRICK thinks - I gotta figure out a way to get back with June! Everything I've tried has failed!

(DERRICK passes by the elevator and jogs to the stairway.)

DERRICK thinks - I tried to impress her with money, that didn't work. I tried to discredit Buck, that didn't work.

(DERRICK quickly gets to the lobby level and goes through the door, entering the lobby.)

DERRICK thinks - I gotta think of some way to...

(DERRICK stops as he sees a flier hanging in the lobby of the dorm.)

DERRICK thinks - Of course! Why didn't I think of that before!

(DERRICK runs up and grabs the flier off the bulletin board and rushes out of the lobby.)

DERRICK thinks - She won't relate to me because I'm not speaking her language! But if I can get to her on her own level, she'll definitely see me in a new light! This is perfect!

(DERRICK hurries to his truck and speeds off.)

DERRICK thinks - I don't know why I didn't think of this before! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(DERRICK pulls up and jumps out. He rushes to the door and knocks.)

DERRICK thinks - This is genius! I finally will be able to understand June, and she'll see me on...

(The door opens.)

DERRICK thinks - ...on her level!

RONNIE - Hey, what's the deal, D?

DERRICK - Ronnie! I just saw this flier for the Omega Psi Phi interest
meeting next week! I am interested! What do I have to do?

No comments: