Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 40

STACIE and ALEX have just left CHRISTIAN's room and slammed the door behind them. CHRISTIAN is staring at the closed door in shock. She can't believe what just happened.

CHRISTIAN thinks - I can't believe this! I can't believe this! Alex has
turned Stacie against me! He's turned my soror against me!

(She runs to the door and looks through the peep hole to see if they are
still around. She doesn't see anyone.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Dag...and she's gonna tell sorors that...oh no!

(CHRISTIAN spins around and runs to her desk to grab her keys. She grabs them
and runs out the door.)

CHRISTIAN - Man! I gotta hurry now!

(She bypasses the elevator and runs straight for the stairs.)

CHRISTIAN - Stacie may ruin everything!

(She hurries down the stairs and quickly goes through the lobby and the front
door.)

CHRISTIAN - I can't believe Alex pulled my card like that! I never saw that one coming! He was right too! He could get back at me all he wanted to. All I would've done was come back at him. But for him to play Delta against me...

(CHRISTIAN flags down a cab.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - ...for him to use Delta against me was down right low!

(CHRISTIAN quickly gets in the cab.)

CHRISTIAN - 1911 Coleman Court please! And hurry!
DRIVER - No problem ma'am.

(The driver screeches the car as he takes off.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I don't have a lot of time to work!

(CHRISTIAN picks up her cell phone and calls THERESA.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - You've reached Theresa. Please leave a message. BEEP.
CHRISTIAN - Theresa this is Christian! If you are there, pick up! Theresa!

(CHRISTIAN hangs up.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Dag!

(CHRISTIAN tosses the money to the driver before he even stops.)

CHRISTIAN - Keep the change!

(CHRISTIAN runs up to the door and rings the bell.)

RONNIE - What's up Christian?
CHRISTIAN - Hey bruh! Where's my girl Breanna? I gotta take her now.
RONNIE - Come on in.

(CHRISTIAN walks into the Omega house.)

RONNIE - Dex has them upstairs. I think he's workin' them over.
CHRISTIAN - Them? Who else?
RONNIE - Oh Theresa came over. She somehow found out that we had Breanna here
and she came to help her out. She's her line sister's keeper! Ha ha ha ha ha.
CHRISTIAN thinks - Oh thank goodness! They're both here!
CHRISTIAN - Oh okay good. Well tell Dexter to bring them down. I gotta go.
RONNIE - Okay girl. Hold on.

(RONNIE runs up the stairs to get DEXTER who is in the room talking with
THERESA about WILLIE.)

BREANNA - Don't hurt us!
DEXTER - I'm not gonna hurt y'all. Take those silly blindfolds off.

(They take their blindfolds off.)

DEXTER - I wanted to get you alone Theresa to talk to you about Willie. Why
are you bringing all this up? She's moved on and has a new boyfriend now.
THERESA - But she doesn't like him...well actually...she does likes him...

(DEXTER looks away. THERESA smiles.)

THERESA - ...but she loves you.

(DEXTER looks back.)

DEXTER - She what?
THERESA - She loves you Dexter. She misses you much and she is still in love with you.
DEXTER - Theresa don't play games with me alright! I don't have time for
games!
THERESA - Would I joke about something so serious? I'm just telling you what I know.

(DEXTER steps back.)

DEXTER - But if that's the case, then why...

(RONNIE knocks on the door.)

RONNIE - Hey team! Christian is here for the girls!
BREANNA - Oh no!

(BREANNA and THERESA quickly put their blindfolds back on as RONNIE opens the
door.)

RONNIE - Come on ladies. Let's go.
DEXTER thinks - Dag! What should I do?

(RONNIE helps the blindfolded girls downstairs as CHRISTIAN is using her cell phone.)

CHRISTIAN - Willie isn't answering her phone? Maybe she isn't home. Well anyway, you need to meet me at the spot in 15 minutes okay?
ROBIN - Okay but what's the hurry? I thought we decided to start with the
girls next week?
CHRISTIAN - No, we have had a change of plans. I need to get this program started...right now! We have to start the line tonight!
ROBIN - Well you won't hear me complainin' about that. Ha ha ha ha! I'll be there. But what about Willie? I have already left her two messages and she isn't answering her cell phone either.
CHRISTIAN - Delta has to move on without her. I'll see you in 15 minutes.
ROBIN - Okay. Peace.

(They hang up.)

ROBIN thinks - I wonder what the big hurry is all of a sudden. Oh well,
Christian is the new dean and she knows best.

(ROBIN turns her TV off and opens the door to leave. Her phone rings and she
looks back at it.)

ROBIN - I'll let the voicemail get that one. I don't want to be late for
Christian's big kick-off! Ha ha ha!

(ROBIN closes the door and the voice mail picks up.)

STACIE - Robin this is Stacie. I have something important to discuss with you
and Willie. I already called her but got no answer. So call me back on my
cell phone when you get this message. Okay bye.




SCENE 2

SEAN is in his room on the telephone.

SEAN - Yeah so our next get-together will be next Thursday.
JOHN - Okay cool! I thought it was really fun!
SEAN - Well, good John. We have a lot to teach you guys and I am glad that everyone was so enthused and had such a good time.
JOHN - Yeah! I liked how those guys were stepping too!
SEAN - Oh the Iotas?
JOHN - Yeah! They were the bomb!

(SEAN laughs as his other line rings.)

SEAN - Hey John, hold on okay?
JOHN - Okay Sean.

(SEAN clicks over.)

SEAN thinks - I hope this isn't one of the Iotas! I am so nervous about how
they felt about the service project that they have me spooked!
SEAN - Hello.
DR. MWATSUMI - Hello Sean.
SEAN - Oh hi Doctor! Hold on okay?

(SEAN clicks back over.)

SEAN - Hey John, this is Dr. Mwatsumi. Let me call you back okay?
JOHN - Okay. Later.
SEAN - Peace.

(SEAN clicks back over.)

SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi. Hello sir.
DR. MWATSUMI - How are you my friend?
SEAN - Just fine sir. A little nervous though.
DR. MWATSUMI - What do you have to be nervous about?
SEAN - Well I'm just not sure how we came off to the brothers. They seemed to
be pleased with what we put together, but I don't know.
DR. MWATSUMI - I wouldn't worry Sean. Like you said, they seemed pleased. I think they see that a lot can be done with a small number of people. That is precisely why Iota Phi Theta can be so effective here at Ahpla. A lot can be
done with a small number of people.
SEAN - Right! My phone has been ringing off the hook, sir. A lot of the young
boys have been calling me telling me how much they loved the program!
DR. MWATSUMI - Is that so?
SEAN - Yes! But the funny thing is, every time the phone rings, I think it is
either Saifa or Richard and I get all nervous. My palms get sweaty. Ha ha ha.
DR. MWATSUMI - That just means that you are sincere in your wanting to go
forward with this. That is a good sign. You will take this journey seriously,
and carry out the traditions seriously as well.
SEAN - Yes sir. If they decide to have a colony here.
DR. MWATSUMI - I have a good feeling Sean. I think it will happen.
SEAN - I hope so. You can have enough good feelings for the both of us then! But I tell you what...
DR. MWATSUMI - What's that Sean?
SEAN - I sure got a good feeling when they were stepping! Ha ha ha! I was
just talking to John and he felt the same way! He got all pumped up like I
did!
DR. MWATSUMI -Ha ha ha ha.
SEAN - Especially when they did that one step. The one when all the boys
started to clap along with them.
DR. MWATSUMI - Oh yes, what were they saying? The bow...
SEAN - And the shield! That was it!
DR. MWATSUMI - Oh yes. I liked that as well. So I assume you will be a
stepper if you are so fortunate enough to be selected?
SEAN - Oh sure! I have had plenty of practice in front of my mirror. Ha ha ha
ha! Ask my dad!
DR. MWATSUMI - By the way, how is your father doing?
SEAN - He's okay I guess.
DR. MWATSUMI - You guess?
SEAN - We haven't spoken.
DR. MWATSUMI - Since?

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sean, since when?
SEAN - Since he agreed to let me pursue Iota.
DR. MWATSUMI - What? That was weeks ago!
SEAN - After you told me that he had given me the go ahead, I called him to
thank him.
DR. MWATSUMI - So what happened?
SEAN - We spoke. But he didn't sound very excited to speak to me. He wished
me well in whatever choice I made, and that was basically it.
DR. MWATSUMI - I can understand him being hurt. It may take him a while to
get over it.
SEAN - He'll never get over it. I'm not going home with A Phi A on my chest.
And on top of that, I'm going home with something different on my chest...I
hope.
DR. MWATSUMI - Indeed. So are you okay with not speaking to your father? That
would trouble me if I were you.
SEAN - It bothers me because my father and I are close. But honestly Doctor, I am
more worried about the brothers liking our project. I'm scared to death that
I won't impress them.
DR. MWATSUMI - Impress them?
SEAN - Just for them to make a decision to accept us. This is the scariest thing I have ever done Doctor. I didn't know I would be so edgy until I started this process.
DR. MWATSUMI - If I can be honest with you too Sean, this is very scary for me as well.
SEAN - Really? You're like a rock Dr. Mwatsumi. I can't even imagine you being scared.
DR. MWATSUMI - Where I am from, we have customs and a different culture. A
different way of life. And yes there were fraternities in college, but nothing that drew my interest the way that Iota Phi Theta has over the last two years. I am further along in my years as well and my concerns are centered around that. We all get afraid Sean, and there is nothing wrong with that. It takes a real man to be able to admit it though.
SEAN - Thank you sir.
DR. MWATSUMI - You're welcome.

(silence)

SEAN - So let me ask you a question.
DR. MWATSUMI - Certainly.

(SEAN smiles.)

SEAN - What do you think it'll be like?
DR. MWATSUMI - What do I think what will be like?
SEAN - Being on line. Have you ever thought...

(There is a knock at SEAN's door.)

SEAN - Oh hold on one second sir, there is someone knocking on my door.
DR. MWATSUMI - That's funny, there is someone knocking on my door as well!



SCENE 3

GINA has walked away from JERREL and CANDACE, who she caught kissing each other. She picks up her cell phone.

GINA thinks- I can't believe this! I don't know what to think or what to
believe!

(GINA dials as she wipes tears from her eyes.)

GINA thinks - But I know who I need to talk to!

(GINA opens her car door and sits down. She is crying and has her cell phone
to her ear.)

MIRI - Hello this is Crescent #4, Miri Bakhan!
GINA - Miri! This is Gina!
MIRI - I know! I know your voice anywhere!
GINA - Are your big brothers around?
MIRI - No...Gina what's wrong?
GINA - I need to see you Miri! I need to come see you!

(MIRI stands up off his bed and holds his ribs.)

MIRI thinks - Ouch!
MIRI - Gina baby what's wrong! Where are you?
GINA - I'm in my car! I'm on my way to your house! Is that okay?
MIRI - Yeah, that's fine! Tell me what's the matter?

(GINA starts to cry harder.)

GINA - I'll tell you when I get there! Miri...
MIRI - Yes Gina!
GINA - ...thank you for...

(She pauses.)

GINA - ...for always being my...friend!
MIRI - Gina...I...lov...
GINA - I'll see you in a few minutes Miri.

(GINA hangs up.)

MIRI - Gina?
MIRI thinks - Oh my gosh!

(MIRI hangs up the phone and limps to the bathroom holding his stomach. He
starts to brush his teeth, carefully not upsetting his sore side.)

MIRI thinks - What in the world? I have never heard Gina sound so upset...well yes I have, but not recently.

(He turns around and turns on the shower.)

MIRI thinks - What could be so wrong? Well whatever it is, I'll just be there for her. If she needs for me to hold her so she can cry on me, so be it! I can't try to use this to get back in with her. That would be wrong on my part. I just have to be a friend to her. Just a friend.

(MIRI throws off his sweats and steps into the shower.)

MIRI thinks - I didn't even realize I still had feelings for Gina until I saw
her! Dag, and here I am dating crazy Mona in the meantime! Sheesh!

(As Miri steps out of the shower and begins to dry off, there is a pounding
on the door.)

MIRI thinks - Good Lord Gina! This must be a real emergency!

(He rushes to answer the door with a towel around his waist.)

MIRI - Gina I...

(MIRI opens the door and pauses.)

MIRI - Greetings Big Brother Blue Tang Clan! Blue Tang Clan ain't nothin' to
mess with!Blue Tang Clan ain't nothin' to mess with! Blue Tang! He got that wood swang!
Ouch! Big Brother...

(BIG BROTHER BLUE TANG CLAN pushes MIRI back into his room. He is followed by the other brothers of Phi Beta Sigma and the rest of the Crescents.)

MIRI thinks - Oh Jesus!
COREY - Crescent Miri...
CRESCENT MIRI - Yes dean of pledgees!
COREY - ...get dressed. And the rest of you help him. Y'all got 30 seconds.
CRESCENTS - Yes dean of pledgees!

(They all run into MIRI's room.)

BLUE TANG CLAN - Twenty seconds left! Don't let me have to come in there!
HAYDEN - Hurry up!

(The Crescents come running out of the room and line up. MIRI is dressed.)

HAYDEN - Are you guys ready for your journey to Phi Beta Sigma to begin?

(The Crescents look at one another.)

CRESCENT DALE thinks - Begin?
CRESCENT CALVIN thinks - Our journey to begin?

(HAYDEN raises his voice.)

HAYDEN - I said, are y'all ready for your journey to Phi Beta Sigma to begin!
CRESCENTS - Yes Big Brother Smooth Blue Lion!
HAYDEN - That's better! Then line up and let's go!

(They line up and the brothers begin to lead them out.)

CRESCENT DALE whispers - What did he mean by begin? We have been on line for
the longest!
CRESCENT MIRI whispers - He means that we are about to cross! Our life in
Sigma is about to begin!
CRESCENT SETH whispers - That means we're going to...the valley!
CRESCENT MIRI whispers - Exactly! We're going to cross into Phi Beta Sigma
tonight!
SHARONDA - We're gonna cross you into Phi Beta Sigma for your brother Brandon
tonight!
BRENDON - What?
SHARONDA - Hurry! Hurry! We don't have a lot of time! They've already left!
BRENDON - What! Are you crazy! I can't cross into Phi Beta Sigma!
SHARONDA - Why not?
BRENDON - Hello! Because I didn't pledge Phi Beta Sigma!
SHARONDA - I didn't say you had to live your life as a Sigma, I said you have to cross for your brother! Once he gets out of the hospital, he will be the Sigma...not you!

(silence)

SHARONDA - Hurry! Come on, this is for your brother! Any other way and he
won't get into the frat! He won't be a Sigma and will have to pledge all over
again next year!

(BRENDON stands there contemplating.)

SHARONDA - Come on!

(DENICE has been waiting in front of the dorm in her car.)

DENICE thinks - This is nuts! Why in the world did Sharonda drive us here?
Time is wasting!

(She dials BRANDON in the hospital.)

BRANDON - Hello!
DENICE - Brandon, it's Denice!
BRANDON - Thank God! Denice what am I gonna do! I don't remember the big
brother's cell phone numbers! I have to get to the valley! What am I gonna do!

(DENICE looks back at the front door of the dorm for SHARONDA. She doesn't
see her. She turns her car on.)

DENICE - Brandon listen to me! I am coming to get you!
BRANDON - Thank God!
DENICE - You have to escape from the hospital! You have to be outside by the
time I get there!
BRANDON - That'll be easy!

(DENICE steps on the gas and turns at the corner to head to the hospital. As
she does, she sees BRANDON's car pull out from the back parking lot with
SHARONDA driving and BRENDON in the passenger seat. They drive right past
her.)

DENICE - Oh shoot!
BRANDON - What? What?
DENICE - I just saw Sharonda drive off in your car with...Brendon!

No comments: