Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 33

JAHANNA is attending the interest meeting for Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority on the campus of Amgis College. As she hands in the form that she was asked to fill out, RENEE gets loud with her.

JAHANNA - Hi Renee? I have my form right here to turn in to you.
RENEE - Oh, okay fine.
(JAHANNA hands her the form.)
RENEE - Wait, you didn't write down your school ID number.
JAHANNA - Oh. That's because I don't go to school here at Amgis. I wanted to
ask you what I should do about that.
RENEE - You don't go to Amgis? (RENEE gets loud and everyone looks.)RENEE - If you don't go to school here at Amgis, what the heck are you doing here!
(JAHANNA's mouth drops open but no words come out. She looks at RENEE and
quickly turns in the direction of PJ who is standing with JUNE.)
JUNE - PJ look! Sorors are questioning Jahanna about her not going to Amgis. Maybe you should go over there and help her out.
(PJ looks.)
PJ - Naw. Let her handle her own mess. She can talk her way out of it. This will be good training for her. She'll need thick skin to make it through.
JUNE - You are a mess!
PJ - I try to be. Look at how much mess we had to go through! It's only fair! Ha ha ha ha.
JUNE - Yeah, and I'm still going through mess!
PJ - What do you mean?
JUNE - Do you know I saw Derrick outside?
PJ - Derrick! Are you serious! What was he doing here? I thought he was in the NBA?
JUNE - He is! But his insecure butt came all the way back here to tell me not to date Buck!
PJ - No!
JUNE - Yes girl!
PJ - Wait, let me get this straight. You were outside and Derrick was waiting for you out there?
JUNE - Yes.
PJ - And he told you not to see Buck anymore?
JUNE - Yes. He said something about Buck not being good for me and that he
had some kind of proof.
PJ - Proof? What proof did he have?
JUNE - I don't know. I didn't give him the chance to tell me. I just let him have it and I walked away.
PJ - Hmmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if he was bluffing or if he really has something on Buck.
DERRICK - Dag, I wish I really had something on Buck! This mess is killing me!
(DERRICK pulls up and puts his truck in park.)
DERRICK thinks - I gotta somehow get him to leave her. Somehow get her to see
who he really is. This nice guy routine that he is playing stinks and I can see right through it! But how can I do that?
(DERRICK puts his head back on the headrest and thinks.)
MINISTER - If any man sees any reason why this man Buck and this woman June
should not be wed in holy matrimony, let him speak now or forever hold his
peace.
DERRICK thinks - I gotta speak up! I gotta speak up!
(Just as DERRICK stands to speak, he is pulled back down to his seat by CARYN.)
CARYN - Derrick boo, I need to borrow your ATM card again. I lost the one
that you gave me.
(CARYN pouts.)
DERRICK - You need to what?
CARYN - I need to borrow the ATM card. There is a big sale going on at the
mall and I need to hurry.
DERRICK - Can't you see that I'm busy right now? This is something important
that I have to do.
CARYN - Well this sale is important too!
DERRICK - Dag! Hold on a second!
(DERRICK reaches for his wallet as the announcement is made.)
MINISTER - I now pronounce you, husband and wife. Buck, you may kiss your
bride!
DERRICK - Huh? No! Wait! I was just about to speak...
(BUCK leans in to kiss JUNE.)
DERRICK - No! Nooooooooo!
(DERRICK snaps out of his daydream and looks around. He breathes a sigh of
relief.)
DERRICK thinks - I got it! I need to talk to Buck on his level! Why didn't I
think of this before?
(DERRICK gets out of his truck and pops the trunk.)
DERRICK thinks - As long as he follows my script, this may just work!
(DERRICK closes his trunk and walks up to the door he just parked in front
of. He knocks on the door and the door opens.)
BUCK - Derrick? What the heck are you doing here? I thought you were out
making millions?
DERRICK - I'm still with Portland but we got a day off so I thought I would
stop by and visit.
BUCK - Visit? What in the world would make you want to stop by and visit me?
DERRICK - I missed you, man.
(BUCK just stares at DERRICK.)
DERRICK - Okay obviously you know that ain't true. No for real man, I need to
talk to you. And this is serious.
BUCK - Talk to me?
DERRICK - Yeah, we need to talk. There's a deal I need to talk to you about.
BUCK - A deal?
DERRICK - Yeah, a deal.
(BUCK hesitates.)
DERRICK - Trust me.
(DERRICK smiles.)
BUCK - Aight man, well come on in.
(BUCK steps aside to let DERRICK in.)
DERRICK - Uh uh. Not here.
BUCK - Not here? Well where do you want to talk?
(DERRICK pulls a basketball from around his back.)
DERRICK - I do all my talking on the court. Care to join me?

:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

QUINTON and ALEXIS are at Pharoahs and are now joined by BOBBY and PAULA.

PAULA
- Hi Alexis! I didn't know you were coming out to the club, girl! Hi Quinton! Can we pull up two chairs? Alexis you know Bobby, right?
(silence)
(QUINTON breaks the uncomfortable silence.)
QUINTON - What's up frat?
BOBBY - Big Q! What's up, bruh!
(QUINTON and BOBBY grip each other. PAULA pulls up two chairs and sits. ALEXIS is looking shocked.)
BOBBY - Hey Lexie.
ALEXIS - Hello Bobby.
PAULA - So what's going on? How long you guys been here?
ALEXIS - Uh...um...
QUINTON - Uh, we just got here, Paula.
BOBBY - You mind?
(BOBBY grabs one of QUINTON's chicken wings. QUINTON looks at ALEXIS who is still quite surprised.)
PAULA - So what's going on guys?
BOBBY - Yeah, what's goin' on!?
ALEXIS thinks - I cannot believe Bobby...
QUINTON - We're just hanging out. You know, just needed to get out for a
minute.
BOBBY - I hear that! Campus life can be stressful! Ha ha ha ha!
ALEXIS - Yes it can!
(The waitress comes back over.)
WAITRESS - Hey, can I get you guys anything?
BOBBY - Baby, what you want?
PAULA - Oh, I think I want...
ALEXIS thinks - Did he just call her baby!
(PAULA orders something and when the food comes, BOBBY feeds her.)
PAULA - Bobby, you are so silly!
BOBBY - You better stop telling me that I'm silly! You're gonna have food fallin' out of your mouth and all over your pretty face! Ha ha ha!
QUINTON - So Bob, when did you and Paula hook up?
BOBBY - Baby?
PAULA - I met him not too long ago. As a matter of fact, it was right after you and I were walking Alexis. After you left and I went to my class, I ran into Bobby. And that's where we met.
(QUINTON stares at ALEXIS.)
BOBBY - Yeah and it's been on and poppin' from then! You know what I'm sayin'?
QUINTON - Yeah, I hear ya bruh. I hear ya.
DJ - Aight y'all, welcome to Pharoahs!
BOBBY - Oh it's about to start jumpin' up in here!
(The music kicks in loud and people quickly move to the dance floor.)
BOBBY - Come on babe, let's go shake somethin'.
PAULA - Aight. We'll be back y'all.
QUINTON - And we'll be here waiting.
(QUINTON smiles a big smile as BOBBY takes PAULA to the dance floor. He then
turns to ALEXIS.)
QUINTON - You obviously didn't know about Bobby and Paula.
ALEXIS - Heck no. I didn't have a clue.
(silence)
QUINTON - You look bothered by it.
(ALEXIS looks at BOBBY and PAULA on the dance floor. BOBBY slides behind
PAULA and playfully grabs her close by her waist. She slaps his hand as she
laughs.)
ALEXIS - Naw, I'm okay.
QUINTON - Alexis, this is me you're talking to. You wear your emotions on your sleeve. You are bothered by this. Why can't you get over him?
ALEXIS - I can and I have Quinton.
QUINTON - Are you sure?
ALEXIS - Yes. I'm sure.
(ALEXIS looks again at the dance floor, then back at QUINTON.)
ALEXIS - But we didn't come here to discuss Bobby. We came here to get out of
the house and to have a good time.
QUINTON - You're right. You're absolutely right.
ALEXIS - Let me just go the bathroom real quick and we can hit the dance floor.
QUINTON - Cool hon.
(ALEXIS gets up.)
QUINTON - Oh and Alexis?
(ALEXIS turns around.)
ALEXIS - Yes?
QUINTON - I love you hon.
(ALEXIS smiles.)
ALEXIS - I love you too, boo.
(ALEXIS turns and walks to the bathroom.)
ALEXIS thinks - I hope there is an empty stall on the end...oh good!
(ALEXIS enters the empty stall, locks it behind her and begins to silently
cry into her hands.)

SCENE 3

THERESA is in her room reading over some information on Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. But her mind continues to wander off of the subject matter.

THERESA reads
- ...one of the national programs is the Betty Shabazz Delta
Academies. The Academies are specifically for...
THERESA thinks - Betty Shabazz huh? That is cool! She was married to Malcolm
X! And speaking of marriage, I wonder if me and Jason got married would he be a good husband, father, and provider? Hmmmm. If not, I can whip any man into shape! Hee hee! Oh, where was I in my reading?
(THERESA reads.)
THERESA reads - The Delteens program is more of a mentoring program where
local chapters can...
THERESA thinks - Oh a mentoring program! That will be so helpful to have the
skills to deal with young people if Jason and I ever decide to start a family.
(THERESA begins to read again.)
THERESA reads - The first of the five point thrusts is economic development.
Through this, members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. can build a...
THERESA thinks - That's what I'm talkin' about! Economic development! Mo'
money! Mo' money! Mo' money! Jason needs to make that money like Derrick did!
I saw my girl Caryn flossin' in a Mercedes truck! I need to call her too, by the way.
(THERESA scribbles a note to herself to call CARYN. There is a knock on the
door. THERESA closes her notes and slides them under her bed.)
THERESA thinks - I wonder who this is.
(THERESA opens the door.)
THERESA - Christian. How are you doing? Come on in.
(CHRISTIAN walks in without speaking.)
THERESA - Can I get you anything? Something to drink maybe?
(Instead of answering, CHRISTIAN just makes her way into the kitchen, opens
the fridge and grabs a bottle of water.)
THERESA - O...kay. You are more than welcome to help yourself.
(CHRISTIAN sits down.)
THERESA thinks - Let me just shut up and let her say whatever she has to say.
(silence)
(CHRISTIAN drinks her bottle of water. Places the bottle down and finally
begins to speak.)
CHRISTIAN - Theresa, I need for you to tell me why in the world you want to
be a Delta. Because I don't know you and I have no idea. And if you even
mention Willie's name in your answer, I vote you out. Don't do it because she
is one. So what are you reasons?
THERESA thinks - Oh shoot!
THERESA - Honestly Christian, I am so impressed with Delta Sigma Theta and its national programs. The first one that caught my attention was the...uh...Betty Shabazz Academies. I think that that is an excellent project and I know that the members of the chapter here are involved locally in that. I would like to be involved in that.
THERESA thinks - And what was that other thing?
THERESA - Then of course, there is the Delteens program. I am really looking forward to working with some of the youth in this community and helping them grow to be responsible adults. Those types of programs really spark me and I am always eager to respond.
(silence)
CHRISTIAN - Now that you have given me the textbook answers, tell me the real
deal. What's inside of that head of yours, Theresa? If you let me into yours,
I'll let you into mine.
THERESA - Really?
CHRISTIAN - Trust me.
(THERESA pauses.)
CHRISTIAN - If you can't trust me...then who can you trust?
THERESA - You're right I guess. Well here is the real deal Christian...
(CHRISTIAN leans forward.)
THERESA - If I answered this question without mentioning Willie's name, then I would be lying to you. And I don't plan to ever lie to you or any other member of Delta Sigma Theta. So the truth of the matter is, Willie did influence my decision a great deal...
(THERESA looks away.)
THERESA - But she didn't influence me the way that you or others may think.
CHRISTIAN - Really?
THERESA - Well, many people would think that I would want to be a Delta
because...
CHRISTIAN - A what?
THERESA - Oh, sorry. Many people would think that I would want to become a
member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. because Willie and I are friends and that I admire her so much and I want to be like her. Like I want to mimic what she has done and accomplished within the sorority. But that isn't the case. That isn't the case at all.
CHRISTIAN - So what is the case?
(THERESA pauses again.)
THERESA - Christian, the real deal is this. I am extremely competitive. Extremely. And ever since I started this...quest...I have realized one thing.
CHRISTIAN - What's that?
(THERESA shows a smirk.)
THERESA - Willie has something that I want! And when I want something, when I
want something real bad...I go get it!
CHRISTIAN - Now that's what I want to hear! Tell me more about how you want
what Willie has.
(THERESA smiles.)
THERESA - Well, to see her with...what I want...and she is so happy, I know that I can experience the same happiness. I just have to claim it and take it. And I have now set my sights on getting and claiming what she has. So my goals are set, my mind, body, and soul are set, and I am ready to do this...to get it!
CHRISTIAN - You know Theresa, I like that attitude. You'll go far in life if you continue to think that way. I think I like you, girl.
THERESA - Thank you Christian, that means a lot to me.
CHRISTIAN - So you plan on gettin' what's yours before this process is all said and done huh?
THERESA - Look at it this way. When I come up in the chapter, the chapter won't know what hit it!
CHRISTIAN - Well then you and I are gonna get along just fine. You can feel safe leaning on me, and I will trust that things said between us will stay between us.
THERESA - Oh certainly.
CHRISTIAN - Good. Because first of all, I'm not trying to persuade your thinking or anything...but that girl Breanna had some really foul things to say about you.
THERESA - She did?
(CHRISTIAN smiles.)
CHRISTIAN - Let me tell you what she said!

No comments: