Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 36

CHRISTIAN has deceived THERESA into thinking that BREANNA has been talking bad about her. THERESA in turn has called BREANNA to confront her about it.


(THERESA picks her phone up and dials.)

THERESA thinks - Jason will be mine in no time! But first...

(The phone that Theresa is dialing rings.)

THERESA thinks - ...things first.
BREANNA whispers - Hello?
THERESA - Breanna, this is Theresa. How you doing girl!?
BREANNA whispers - Theresa! Thank God!
THERESA - Huh? Why are you whispering?

(silence)

THERESA - Breanna, what's wrong?
BREANNA whispers - I'm at the Que house. Christian brought me here
blindfolded.
THERESA - The Que house? What in the world are you doing at the Que house?
BREANNA whispers - I don't know but I'm scared.
THERESA - Wait, I don't understand. If you're blindfolded, how do you know where you are? And why would Christian bring you to the Que house blindfolded?
BREANNA whispers - I know where I am. I am good with things like that. I know my surroundings. And I think Christian brought me here because...I think she brought me here because she hates me and she wants the Que dogs to haze me.
THERESA - What? Breanna that's ridiculous!
BREANNA whispers - Theresa please help me!
THERESA - You're serious? You're at the Que house?
BREANNA whispers - Yes...yes...I have to go, I hear Dexter and Ronnie coming
back!

(click)

THERESA - Dexter and Ronnie? Hello? Hello! Breanna! Breanna! Hello!
THERESA thinks - Oh my God! Dexter is there!

(BREANNA turns her phone off and quickly slides it back into her pocket. RONNIE and DEXTER come back into the room. BREANNA holds her head up and tries not to cry.)

RONNIE - Well, well, well. What do we have here?

(DEXTER sits down while RONNIE paces back and forth.)

RONNIE - You know...Breanna, you don't have to be here. I mean, technically, you're not on line...yet. So if you want to leave, by all means leave.

(BREANNA stands still.)

RONNIE - Good. So you wanna stay and play with us. Good. Well let's start with the basics. My name is ExeQUEtioner. And with me is Bone Crusher. You got that?
BREANNA whispers - Yes.
RONNIE - I don't think I understood that answer! Speak up!
BREANNA - Yes!

(BREANNA's eyes begin to water.)

RONNIE - That's better.

(RONNIE looks back and smiles at DEXTER, who just rolls his eyes and glances
back at the television.)

RONNIE - So Breanna, I want you to tell me a little something about Omega Psi Phi Fraternity!
BREANNA thinks - Oh my God!
BREANNA whispers - Omega Psi Phi is the first fraternity founded at an all Black university.
RONNIE - That's right. What else?

(RONNIE smacks his hand with the paddle and it makes BREANNA jump. Her
blindfold is the only thing separating her tears from her cheeks.)

BREANNA - It is the same university where Delta Sigma Theta sorority was founded.
RONNIE - That's right. And what about the next chapter? What about the Beta Chapter?
BREANNA - Wilberforce University in Ohio.
RONNIE - Not for Delta, for Omega Psi Phi!

(BREANNA jumps back as RONNIE raises his voice.)

BREANNA - I don't...I never studied...
DEXTER - Lincoln. It's Lincoln University.

(RONNIE turns around to DEXTER.)

RONNIE - I didn't ask you!
DEXTER - What you gonna do Ronnie? Paddle her?

(RONNIE smiles.)

DEXTER - Come on man. She ain't pledging Que and she ain't even on line for Delta for that matter. Leave her alone.
RONNIE - She's about to be pledging! That's the point! And she'll need to know her stuff!
DEXTER - Exactly! Her stuff! Not our stuff!
RONNIE - It's a family affair baby! She gotta know it all!
DEXTER - Man leave her alone. You trippin'.
RONNIE - Naw you trippin'! You the one complainin' about how bored you were!
DEXTER - So to entertain myself I'm supposed to scare Delta interests?

(A tear gets past BREANNA's blindfold and rolls down her face.)

DEXTER - Man both of y'all are nuts, you and Christian.
RONNIE - We ain't nuts, you're just soft. Ha ha ha ha!
DEXTER - Man whatever! At least I don't have to make someone else feel small
for me to feel big.
RONNIE - Bruh, first of all...

(There is a knock on the door.)

RONNIE - You lucky. I was about to break it down to you!
DEXTER - No you weren't! It's probably Christian coming to get her girl.

(DEXTER gets up and goes to the door. He opens it.)

DEXTER - What are you doing here?
THERESA - I came to help my future line sister! And since I just spoke to Willie and I know what's in her heart, I came to help you too!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Iota Phi Theta have just concluded their meeting and are now
walking outside. As they leave the building, they are surprised to see the parking lot full of young boys standing around.



(As the brothers walk outside the building, they stop immediately.)

SAIFA - What in the world...?

(They look into the parking lot and it is lined with at least 50 young
boys.)

SCOTT - Who are all these boys? What are they doing here?
SAIFA - I don't know, but look!

(A school bus pulls up with SEAN riding in it and DR. MWATSUMI driving.)

RICHARD - What the...?

(The door to the bus opens and SEAN steps off the bus with a few more boys. He walks up to SAIFA and the other Iota brothers.)

SAIFA - Sean, what is all this? And why are y'all up in a bus?
SEAN - This is our first service project.
SAIFA - Your what?
SEAN - Our first service project. These are young men from the community. Dr. Mwatsumi and I have been going door to door. We have been speaking with families in the neighborhood and asking them if they have any type of mentorship programs or rites of passage programs here. Everyone said no but they also said that they would be interested in one.

(SAIFA looks over at SCOTT, who looks back at him.)

SAIFA - So we decided to start a program for just that. We called the young boys from ages 10 to 16 and got them out of the house tonight. We brought them here because we are going to use a room here to explain to them, and to you, the goals of this program.
SAIFA - Uh...

(SAIFA looks around at all the young boys who are talking among themselves.)

SAIFA - You got a lot of kids here, Sean. How do you plan to...?
SEAN - Keep stuff organized? Watch this.

(SEAN turns to face the crowd of boys.)

SEAN - Woza!

(All the men come to attention and become quiet. SEAN turns back around.)

RICHARD - What did you just say?
DR. MWATSUMI - He said "woza." It's Zulu. It means "come together."

(The brothers didn't even notice DR. MWATSUMI walk up.)

SAIFA - Hello sir.
DR. MWATSUMI - Saifa, gentlemen. Good evening.
SEAN - The doctor taught me a few Zulu words and I thought that they would be good to use for our program.
DR. MWATSUMI - We don't mean to interrupt your evening. I know you may have had plans. But we are hoping that you can at least sit in on the introductory night of our project. And give us your valued input.

(The Iotas look at one another.)

SCOTT - Uh...sure. I think we can make the time for something worthwhile.
SAIFA - Yeah definitely.
DR. MWATSUMI - Great! Well, follow us.

(SEAN turns back to the boys.)

SEAN - Forward march!

(The boys begin to march single file up the stairs, past the Iotas and into the building. DR. MWATSUMI leads the boys inside and SEAN follows the last boy. The Iotas are behind SEAN.)

SAIFA whispers - Dude, can you believe this?
RICHARD whispers - How did they pull this off so quick?
SCOTT - whispers - I don't know but this is kinda tight!

(DR. MWATSUMI chooses a classroom and everyone quietly goes inside and has a seat. The Iotas sit in the back of the room.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Good evening, gentlemen, and welcome to the first night of Golden CROP, which stands for community rites of passage. During this program you will be matched up with a mentor, you will be tutored and you will be led through a manhood training process that will involve field trips, group discussions, music and dance, art, and some other things.
SAIFA whispers - Interesting name.
DR. MWATSUMI - Let me introduce myself again. I met most of you already, or my partner Sean did. But my name is Dr. Colin Mwatsumi. I am a professor at nearby Ahpla University.
YOUNG BOY - I'm going to Ahpla! My brother goes to Ahpla!

(Everyone laughs.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Really? Well that is good for you! Ahpla is a great school. This is my partner Sean Jackson.
SEAN - What's up y'all?
DR. MWATSUMI - Some of you met Sean already at your homes or on the bus
coming over. If you turn to the back of the classroom, you will see some older gentlemen.

(All the boys turn around.)

DR. MWATSUMI - These nice men will hopefully be helping us with our rites of passage program. They are all members of a fraternity. Who in here knows what a fraternity is?

(The same young boy raises his hand.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Okay, young man, what is a fraternity?
YOUNG BOY - It's when all the guys have on the same colors and they step! I saw them stepping at Ahpla and I know how to step!

(Everyone laughs.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Ha ha ha ha, well he is almost right. But a fraternity is a group of men who come together for a common purpose. And the fraternity that they are members of is Iota Phi Theta Fraternity. And maybe they will be able to show us some steps as well.

(DR. MWATSUMI smiles at the Iotas.)

SAIFA - I think we can do that for you sir.
YOUNG BOY - I want to see them step now!

(All the boys begin to scream asking the Iotas to step. DR. MWATSUMI merely
smiles and looks at them for their response.)

SAIFA - What do you think, guys?
RICHARD - Hey man, I never pass up an opportunity to show off my skills!
SCOTT - You ain't hoofin' better than me! Ha ha ha ha!
RICHARD - Well put your steppin' shoes where your mouth is bro!

(The Iotas stand up and start walking toward the front to the cheers of
everyone in the room.)


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

JERREL and CANDACE are walking to his car from the movie theater.

JERREL - So you aren't really a "Star Wars" person?
CANDACE - I mean, I know who people are. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader and stuff.
JERREL - Aw man! So you don't even know what's going on! I have to really explain the whole movie to you.
CANDACE - You can if you want.
JERREL - Well you know that Anakin is going to grow up to be Darth Vader right?

(JERREL opens the car door for CANDACE.)

CANDACE - Well I did know that.

(JERREL walks around to the driver's side and gets in.)

JERREL - Well that's a start. It's so complicated though, it would take me
forever to explain all the small details. But basically there is a lot being set up for future movies.
CANDACE - I figured that. It seems like so many things are left unanswered.
JERREL - Exactly. But why did you agree to see it with me if you weren't really into the "Star Wars" thing?

(JERREL drives off.)

CANDACE - Because I'm into the going to the movies thing. Hee hee.
JERREL - Oh you just wanna go out with a brother when a brother has movie tickets huh? Ha ha ha!
CANDACE - Ha ha ha! No, it isn't that so much. I mean, I enjoy going out. I enjoy going to the movies...

(CANDACE pauses.)

CANDACE - And I enjoy spending time with you.

(JERREL smiles.)

JERREL - I enjoy spending time with you too Candace.

(JERREL reaches over and grabs CANDACE's hand.)

JERREL - You know Candace, the way that you and I met was kinda funny. But maybe God was at work in our lives. Ya know? I mean I don't know. I ain't the most spiritual brother walking around. But I do believe that God is in
control and that he organizes things in our lives. Ya know what I'm tryin' to say?
CANDACE - Of course. I understand. Maybe it was organized.
JERREL - Like I said, I don't know. But whatever happened, I'm glad that it
did.

(CANDACE smiles.)

JERREL - You know Candace, I try not to talk about Nino. I know that that is a devastating topic for you to talk about.
CANDACE - I don't mind though.
JERREL - It's just that I never knew him and I know everyone respected him so much.
CANDACE - Nino was the best. He was a genuinely good person. He made everyone smile. He would brighten up a room by just walking in.
JERREL - Wow, that's great.
CANDACE - I still miss him. I miss him terribly. But I know he is in a better place now and I know that he would want me to move on with my life. I know he wants me to get more involved in my sorority. And more into my studies. I haven't even begun to look at grad school applications yet.
JERREL - Oh, I can help you with that.
CANDACE - It's just that my life got turned upside down when God called Nino.
And now I am trying to put it back together.

(silence)

JERREL - Just remember. Nino went home to be with God because God needed an extra angel.
CANDACE - Oh my gosh Jerrel! That is so sweet!

(JERREL smiles.)

CANDACE - Thank you for saying that.

(CANDACE chokes up and brings her hand to her face so she won't cry.)

JERREL - Oh I'm sorry...I didn't mean to make you upset...I was just trying to...
CANDACE - No, no, you didn't make me upset. It's just that...

(She stops.)

JERREL - Are you okay?
CANDACE - ...it's just that you are a real sweet guy Jerrel. And I
really...really appreciate you.

(silence)

JERREL - Thank you.

(JERREL smiles and stops at a red light. CANDACE leans over and kisses him on the cheek. He then turns toward her and they begin to kiss. They kiss until the light turns green.)

JERREL - Ooops, sorry!

(JERREL waves his hand out of his window at the cars that blew the horn from behind him. CANDACE laughs.)

JERREL - Lost track of time there. Ha ha ha.
CANDACE - Yeah.

(CANDACE wipes her face.)

JERREL - Oh, just reach in there and grab a tissue.

(CANDACE reaches into the glove compartment to get a tissue. She wipes her eyes.)

JERREL - Now don't be gettin' all emotional on me no more. I'm gonna stop sayin' sweet stuff!
CANDACE - No, don't do that! Hee hee.

(CANDACE leans her head on JERREL's arm. He smiles as he approaches campus.)

JERREL - Well look. You pick the next movie. I guess sci fi isn't your cup of tea.
CANDACE - Not true. I wanna see "Minority Report."
JERREL - Oh with Tom Cruise? That looks hot! We can definitely go see that!
CANDACE - Okay.

(JERREL pulls up in front of CANDACE's dorm. He looks around, then puts the
car in park.)

CANDACE - Did you want to come up for a few?
JERREL - I would love to but I have an early staff meeting tomorrow. I need to get home.
CANDACE - Oh okay.
JERREL - But I'll call you tomorrow and we can set up that next movie date.
CANDACE - Okay.

(silence)

CANDACE - Thanks for the movie Jerrel.
JERREL - Oh anytime.
CANDACE - And thanks for everything else. I had a nice evening.
JERREL - You don't have to thank me Candace. I really hope that we can have a
lot of nice evenings together.
CANDACE - Me too.

(They stare at each other then lean in for a kiss.)

CANDACE - Good night Jerrel.
JERREL - Good night.

(As they lean in for one last kiss, JERREL feels a hand grab his back from
outside the car. He turns around.)

GINA - What in the world are you doing!?

No comments: