Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 71

SHARONDA is in her dorm room on the phone.

SHARONDA - You stupid. Ha ha ha ha!

TY - Girl, I'm serious! Ha ha ha ha ha!

SHARONDA - Yeah, right!

TY - Anyway.

SHARONDA - So Ty, you're not...

(There is a knock on the door.)

SHARONDA - Hold on Ty. Someone is knockin' on my door.

TY - Must be that dog team! Tryin' to break it on down! Roof! Roof! Grrrrrr!

SHARONDA - Ha ha ha ha ha! Stupid! Hold on boy!

(SHARONDA opens the door.)

SHARONDA - Oh, hey soror, come on in.

DENICE - I need to speak to you! Right now!

SHARONDA - Sure. Hold on a second. Make yourself at home.

(DENICE walks in. SHARONDA picks the phone back up.)

SHARONDA - You still there?

TY - Yeah, I'm here.

SHARONDA - What was I saying? Oh yeah. So, you're not seeing anybody? Like seriously?

TY - Not seriously.

SHARONDA - Really?

(DENICE folds her arms and is growing angrier by the second.)

SHARONDA - You haven't had any chick on campus tie you down yet, Ty? That's surprising.

TY - Why?

(SHARONDA smiles.)

SHARONDA - I don't know; I'm just surprised.

DENICE - I need to talk to you, Sharonda!

(SHARONDA holds one finger up to DENICE indicating that she will be finished in another minute. She then sits down.)

SHARONDA - I mean, it's not like you aren't good looking or anything Ty. But I ain't trying to gas you up, either. I know how men are with their egos! Ha ha ha ha...

(DENICE hangs up SHARONDA's phone.)

SHARONDA - Hey! What you do that for!

DENICE - I said, I need to talk to you! Not in a minute! Now!

SHARONDA - Fine, fine. Hold your horses, Denice.

(SHARONDA puts the phone down.)

SHARONDA - He was gettin' on my nerves anyway. Have a seat, what can I do for you?

DENICE - I don't wanna have a seat! This ain't no friendly visit, Sharonda!

SHARONDA - It isn't? Well, what's the matter with you?

(DENICE tries to maintain her composure before she erupts with anger.)

DENICE - You told Brandon that I lied to him! That I'm not really his girlfriend!

(silence)

SHARONDA - Is that what you're upset about? Good grief!

(SHARONDA gets up and walks toward the kitchen.)

SHARONDA - You want something to drink?

DENICE - No, I don't want anything to drink! I want to kill you! Why did you play me like that!

SHARONDA - I didn't play you. I did you a favor. You should've told Brandon the truth right after he crossed. The only reason you...we...lied to him was to get him to be there for his crossing into Sigma. So after he crossed, you should've told him. So don't get mad at me. Get mad at yourself for not being honest with your...boyfriend.

DENICE - That's not the point! The point is that I trusted you and I wanted to tell Brandon in my own time, my own way!

SHARONDA - When Denice? At the altar? You weren't gonna ever tell him.

(DENICE places both her hands on her head.)

DENICE - You just don't get it do you! Do you know how long I have loved Brandon! And I almost lost it all! God, Sharonda!

SHARONDA - Almost. Almost. That means that everything worked out. He didn't dump you. Y'all are still together.

DENICE - Yeah, but I had to work mad hard to keep it together.

SHARONDA - Well, that's good news then. Great news.

(SHARONDA sits back down with a soda. DENICE closes her eyes and puts her hand on her forehead.)

DENICE - Sharonda...

SHARONDA - Denice, forget about that. I got something much more important to talk to you about.

(SHARONDA begins speaking before DENICE has a chance to object.)

SHARONDA - You know next week is our interest meeting. Well, guess who is thinking about showing up and pledging Zeta!
:: NEW PAGE ::



SCENE 2

XAVIER has a surprise visitor knock on his door.


XAVIER thinks - Well, I'll wait it out and see. I do believe Mike is a good guy. Whether he can be channeled to make better decisions...I guess we'll find out.

(There is a knock on the door.)

XAVIER - Dag, as soon as I sit down to read...

(XAVIER puts the book down and gets up to answer the door.)

XAVIER thinks - Whoever it is ain't stayin'.

(XAVIER opens the door.)

BRENDON - Greetings Big Brother Little Red!

(silence)

XAVIER - What?

BRENDON - Greetings Big Brother Little Red!

(XAVIER is staring at BRENDON in shock.)

XAVIER - Come inside!

(BRENDON quickly goes into the room. XAVIER looks down the hall both ways and doesn't see anyone. He closes the door and turns to BRENDON.)

XAVIER - Brendon, what are you doing? Are you crazy?

BRENDON - No Big Brother Littl...

XAVIER - Stop saying that! What in the world is the matter with you?

BRENDON - I was told to...

XAVIER thinks - Okay, stay cool. Don't kill this boy. Just stay cool.

XAVIER - Brendon, sit down.

BRENDON - Yes, Big Brother Little Red!

XAVIER - Okay. You said you were told. Who told you to call me that?

BRENDON - Big Brother Kaptain Kwestion.

(silence)

XAVIER - Big Brother Kaptain Kwestion?

BRENDON - Yes.

XAVIER - Brendon...um...start from the beginning and tell me what Mik...I mean Kaptain Kwestion told you.

BRENDON - Well, Big Br...

XAVIER - Brendon, call me Xavier and tell me what happened.

BRENDON - Does this mean I'm not on line?

XAVIER - Brendon, just tell me what happened.

BRENDON - Okay, well...

(BRENDON calms down a little.)

BRENDON - I ran into Big Brot...I mean, Mike, the other day and I was telling him that I really want to be a Kappa. Even though I didn't get selected for your line last year, I still really want to be a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated.

XAVIER - Okay.

BRENDON - So, I was telling him that I still want to be a member and he asked me if I was serious. If I seriously still wanted it.

XAVIER - Uh, huh.

BRENDON - Of course, I said yes. So he told me to follow him.

XAVIER - And where did he take you?

BRENDON - To his room.

XAVIER - So, then, what happened there?

BRENDON - Well, first he told me to repeat everything that he said.

(XAVIER puts his hand on his head and closes his eyes.)

XAVIER thinks - Oh, my, God.

BRENDON - And, so he started to recite something. I don't remember it all but I just recited it.

XAVIER - Okay. What else?

BRENDON - Okay. So, then...am I getting Mike in trouble? Did I do something wrong, Xavier?

(silence)

XAVIER - Brendon, you're a nice guy. I actually like you and I do want you to pursue my fraternity, again. I think you have a real chance at making line this time.

BRENDON - Wait, does that mean that I am not on line now?

(XAVIER chooses his words carefully.)

XAVIER - I don't want to...Brendon, I don't know if know if this is some kind of cruel joke that Mike is playing. But no, you are not on line. Neither me, nor Gregg know anything about this.

(BRENDON is staring in shock.)

BRENDON - Are you serious? You mean...

XAVIER - Let me be the first to apologize for Mike's...behavior. I don't know why he did this Brendon, but I will certainly find out.

(BRENDON turns away and looks in another direction.)

XAVIER - Brendon, I'm sorry. I'll get to the bottom of it. If this is a joke, I don't think it's funny.

BRENDON - Yeah, me neither.

(silence)

XAVIER - Did he...um...show you anything?

BRENDON - Any secret stuff? No.

XAVIER thinks - Good!

XAVIER - Okay. Is there anything else that he told you?

BRENDON - Just that his name was Big Brother Kaptain Kwestion, you are Big Brother Little Red, and Gregg is Big Brother Pretty Nupe.

XAVIER thinks - Oh, God.

(silence)

XAVIER - Brendon, go home. But let me make a few things clear.

(XAVIER leans in close.)

XAVIER - You are not on line. If Mike calls you or contacts you, call me. When we do have an interest meeting, make sure you are there and you are ready this year.

BRENDON - Okay.

(BRENDON looks very sad.)

XAVIER thinks - Give me words, Lord.

XAVIER - Brendon, you have the exact characteristics we are looking for in brothers. I know it must have been hard on you watching your brother pledge. Your day is coming, Brendon. Trust me. Stay to the course, and you will be rewarded.

(BRENDON smiles.)

BRENDON - Thanks, Xavier.

XAVIER - And if you ever want to talk, call me. Okay?

BRENDON - Okay.

(BRENDON gets up.)

BRENDON - I'm sorry if I got Mike in trouble or did something wrong. I guess I should've known better, huh?

XAVIER - It isn't your fault. I'll find out where the communication break down occurred and make sure it doesn't happen again.

BRENDON - Okay. Thanks, again.

XAVIER - No problem.

(They shake hands and XAVIER lets BRENDON out. His demeanor changes as he picks up the phone.)

XAVIER - Gregg, come over here.

GREGG - Why? What's up?

XAVIER - Just get over here as fast as you can.

(click)

(XAVIER dials again.)

MIKE - Hello?

XAVIER - What's up, frat!

MIKE - Big Z! What's the deal, playa?

XAVIER - Yo man, I got the Scroller over here and we about to learn some greetings but I'm about to get my haze on! You wanna come through?

MIKE - Hell, yeah! It's on! I didn't think he'd be there that quick!

XAVIER - Oh, he is on point, no doubt! But you know how we Nupes do! We 'bout to get crazy hazy up in here!

MIKE - Word! Now that's what I'm talking about! I'll be right over!

XAVIER - Hurry up, frat!

MIKE - I'll be there in 10 minutes!

XAVIER - Cool!

MIKE - Yo baby, yo baby, yo!

XAVIER - Yeah.

(click)

(XAVIER hangs up the phone and sits down waiting for his frat brothers to arrive.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

ROSALIND comes into the room and is told by PAULA that AURORA ALEXIS gave up her coveted pledge journal without a hesitation or a fight.


(There is another knock on the door. ALEXIS is watching PAULA open her journal.)

CANDACE - Alexis, open the door!

(ALEXIS quickly turns and opens the door.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Gree...

ROSALIND - Shhhh. Hush.

(ROSALIND walks in.)

ROSALIND - Hey sorors, wassup?

PAULA - Wassup? Wassup? I'll tell you what's up? How about your Aurora, here; the same Aurora that you said wouldn't break under pressure; the same Aurora who you kept telling us was so strong, the one that you had all that confidence in...

(PAULA smiles as she pauses.)

PAULA - ...how about she handed over to me her daily pledge journal! Without a fight, without hesitation, or without a struggle. Just gave it up!

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - What!

(ROSALIND turns to ALEXIS.)

ROSALIND - Aurora, come here.

(AURORA ALEXIS hurries toward ROSALIND.)

ROSALIND - Is this true, Aurora? Did you give up your journal?

(AURORA ALEXIS glances at PAULA, who just smiles sarcastically as she opens the notebook.)

AURORA ALEXIS - No, Big Sister. No, I didn't.

PAULA - What? How you gonna lie? If you didn't give me this notebook...

(PAULA turns to the first page.)

PAULA - ...then who wrote this...

(PAULA reads what is on the first page.)

PAULA reads - When I first started to pledge, Alexis, I was jealous of her because she was with Bobby first. So I...

(ALEXIS smiles to herself.)

PAULA - What the...what's this!

AURORA ALEXIS - I don't know Big Sister Gamma Ramma! Maybe it's your journal, your name is on it.

PAULA - My what?

(PAULA looks at the front of the notebook and it has her name on it.)

PAULA - But...but...

CANDACE - Looks like she got ya, Paula.

PAULA - Got me! Whatever!

(ROSALIND and JENNIFER start laughing.)

CANDACE - What else is in your journal, Paula? Ha ha ha ha, you're jealous of Alexis huh? Ha ha ha ha!

PAULA - Oh, whatever, Candace, you know this book ain't mine!

(PAULA walks over to AURORA ALEXIS and whispers in her ear.)

PAULA whispers - Neat trick, Aurora. But I'll have the last laugh.

(PAULA walks away as CANDACE approaches her pledgee.)

CANDACE - Okay back to business. On the real, Aurora, you are taking way too long with what we asked you to do. This isn't rocket science, you know. I mean come on, you are showing real signs of weakness and we don't need that in our chapter -- at all.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Southern Comfort!

CANDACE - Ros.

ROSALIND - Yeah, Candace.

CANDACE - I told you it was a bad idea to only have one pledge this year. We need to stop the process and have another interest meeting. We need about two or three more girls.

JENNIFER - I agree.

ROSALIND - I think Alexis can handle it. You guys don't?

CANDACE - No, I don't.

AURORA ALEXIS - I think that...

CANDACE - Nobody asked you to speak!

AURORA ALEXIS - But...

CANDACE - I said, nobody asked you to speak!

JENNIFER - I know this Aurora isn't talking back to big sisters!

CANDACE - I know right! What the heck!

AURORA ALEXIS - I don't mean to be dis...

CANDACE - Will you shut up! Don't talk back to me again!

AURORA ALEXIS - But you're supposed to be my friend.

CANDACE - No, you're supposed to be pledging!

(CANDACE gets in ALEXIS' face. ALEXIS is starting to visibly become emotional.)

CANDACE - Let me make something very clear! You are pledging Sigma Gamma Rho! None of us are here to baby sit you! Not me, and none of my sorors, okay! Right now, I am not your pal, I ain't your buddy, I ain't your girlfriend or boyfriend! So you better...

AURORA ALEXIS - At least I have a boyfriend!

(The room suddenly becomes incredibly quiet.)

No comments: