Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 58

The Ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., have given AURORA ALEXIS an assignment, and on her way, she stops by QUINTON's dormitory.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - I hope he's home.

(She knocks on his door.)

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - He better be!

(The door opens.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Hi.

QUINTON - Hi! What are you...come on in!

(ALEXIS walks in and QUINTON immediately grabs her and hugs her. They hold each other for a long time.)

QUINTON - Oh my God, it is good to see you, honey! Are they taking care of you?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes!

(They are still holding each other when QUINTON's door open.)

AURORA ALEXIS - You'd better close the door before I get in trouble.

QUINTON - Oh yeah! Ha ha ha, I didn't think about that! I know you're not supposed to be here!

(They let each other go and QUINTON closes the door.)

QUINTON - So, how are you doing Alexis?

AURORA ALEXIS - I'm better. It's been crazy with a lot going through my head. But, I am getting better.

QUINTON - Yeah? How so?

(They sit down.)

AURORA ALEXIS - I just know that the best thing for me to do is to be with you.

(QUINTON smiles.)

AURORA ALEXIS - I was being stupid before. I am so sorry, Quinton. Can you forgive me?

QUINTON - Of course. You know I love you.

(ALEXIS smiles and they embrace.)

QUINTON - I just wanna make sure that you're sure this time.

AURORA ALEXIS - I'm sure. I'm very sure.

QUINTON - How are you so sure this time?

(ALEXIS pauses before she answers.)

AURORA ALEXIS - First of all, I've been doing a lot of praying, especially now because of my journey. I just pray for strength.

QUINTON - I know that's right! Praying for strength to make it through?

AURORA ALEXIS - That...and praying for strength, so I can rip Paula's head off when I cross.

(ALEXIS smiles, QUINTON laughs.)

QUINTON - I know what you mean. I wanted to kick Donte's a...well don't let me interrupt. Continue.

AURORA ALEXIS - Well, in my prayers, I just wanted to know what my heart was saying to me. Ya know? I mean, I think I was really making a big mistake by not fully moving on from Bobby.

(She pauses.)

AURORA ALEXIS - You are the best thing that has ever happened to me including Bobby. You treat me with respect; you don't play any games. You are a wonderful, strong, Black man. And I appreciate that and love you for it.

(QUINTON smiles.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Bobby had moved on from me a long time ago. Heck, he had moved on when we were still together by screwing Trina and whomever else he was with. I lose count.

QUINTON - Yeah, he's kinda out there.

AURORA ALEXIS - I just know now where my heart is. It's here and it stays here.

(ALEXIS smiles.)

AURORA ALEXIS - I don't care what anyone says -- Paula, Bobby...or Mike.

QUINTON - Who?

ALEXIS thinks - I knew I shouldn't have said anything! Dag!

AURORA ALEXIS - Don't worry about it ba...

QUINTON - No wait, you said Mike. What about Mike? Mike, the new Kappa?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yeah.

QUINTON - What about him?

AURORA ALEXIS - Okay don't get mad...

(QUINTON is just staring for her response.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Well...Mike came to me and told me that he saw you with
Donna.

QUINTON - Who?

AURORA ALEXIS - Donna. That girl who...

QUINTON - Oh, my, God! He told you what!

AURORA ALEXIS - Don't worry baby, I didn't believe him...I don't know why he told me that, but I didn't believe him.

(silence)

AURURA ALEXIS - Calm down.

QUINTON - He is such a hater! When I see him again, I'm gonna...

AURORA ALEXIS - Baby...calm down. I love you.

(ALEXIS smiles at QUINTON as he leans in to kiss her.)

QUINTON - I am so happy to hear you say that, Alexis. I thought I had lost you...and that hurt. That hurt badly.

AURORA ALEXIS - I am so sorry, baby.

QUINTON - It's okay. Just don't leave again. Agreed?

AURORA ALEXIS - Agreed!

(They begin to kiss passionately.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Wait...wait...I have to go. I'm on the clock; remember?

QUINTON - Aw, come on, let's get a quickie!

AURORA ALEXIS - Boy, no! Stop playing!

(ALEXIS slaps QUINTON's arm.)

QUINTON - Dag! Ha ha ha! Aight, I'll wait.

AURORA ALEXIS - I promise, it'll be great if you just wait.

QUINTON - Oh, now you tryin' to rhyme, huh? You been learning so many greetings and poems and songs that everything rhymes now, huh!

AURORA ALEXIS - Ha ha ha ha ha! I know!

QUINTON - Well be strong, baby.

AURORA ALEXIS - I promise that I will.

(They hug and kiss one more time, then QUINTON walks ALEXIS to the door.)

QUINTON - I love you, Alexis. Good luck!

AURORA ALEXIS - I love you, too. Thank you.

(ALEXIS leaves and walks down the hall toward the elevator.)

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - You know, maybe I should take the stairs. Just in case the big sisters see me coming off the elevator.

(She turns around and walks back toward the staircase. As she opens it she stops in her tracks.)

AURORA ALEXIS - What in th...what are you doing here!

BOBBY - Saving your butt! Close that door before they see you!

AURORA ALEXIS - Who sees me?

BOBBY - Your big sisters! Close the door!

(She closes the door and enters the stairway where BOBBY is standing.)

BOBBY - Look, I was hanging out with Paula and some of your big sisters and I overheard them talking about you. I know they gave you an assignment and some free time. They thought you might come to see Quinton. So they let you go, and now they are all waiting for you in the lobby downstairs.

AURORA ALEXIS - They are? Oh, my, gosh!

BOBBY - Yeah. If you get off the elevator, they are gonna bust you. Even if you go down the stairs they're gonna get ya.

AURORA ALEXIS - Oh, my, gosh! What am I supposed to do?

BOBBY - Well, luckily, you got me.

AURORA ALEXIS - Huh?

BOBBY - I know you, Lex. I knew you'd come see Quinton, too. And I figured that you wouldn't be as dumb as to take the elevator back down, so you would choose the stairs. That's why I've been here waiting for you to warn you and to help ya out.

AURORA ALEXIS - Help me? How?

(BOBBY smiles.)

BOBBY - Follow me. I can get you out the building and back to where you're supposed to be without your big sisters finding out.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., of Amgis College are having their interest meeting. TY is about to speak and BUCK thinks he sees DERRICK in the back of the room.

CLARENCE - Brotherhood is essential in Omega as you will hear and see. We are close to our brothers at neighboring Ahpla University and have invited that chapter's newest member to deliver the history of the Omega. So, help me welcome Ty from Ahpla University's chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

(Everyone claps as TY approaches the podium. BUCK leans over to whisper to
KENNY.)

BUCK whispers - This has to be the largest crowd we've ever had for an interest meeting.

KENNY whispers - Yeah. Hey, ain't that dude right there on the basketball team with you?

(KENNY motions to a student in the front row.)

BUCK whispers - Yeah, I didn't know Chip wants to be a Que! How's he not gonna mention it!

KENNY whispers - 'Cuz you so laid back with yours.

BUCK whispers - Yeah.

(BUCK looks around the other direction.)

BUCK whispers - Speaking of basketball team dudes that all of a sudden wanna be Ques...

(BUCK looks closer.)

BUCK whispers - Is that...Derrick?

KENNY - Who?

BUCK - Derrick...the ball player from Ahpla.

KENNY - Really? Where?

(BUCK looks closer.)

BUCK - Oh...my bad. That's not him.

KENNY - Ha ha ha, that would've been crazy to see him here.

BUCK - Yeah, true!

(BUCK and KENNY turn to face the front as Ty begins to speak.)

TY - First of all, I wish to thank the brothers here at Amgis for allowing me the opportunity to speak on behalf of this great and magnificent fraternity...this outstanding organization, this fraternity, this brotherhood of mine...Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

(TY looks across the crowd from the brothers to the interested men.)

TY - I am confident in stating that everyone knows some of the major historical points of Omega. I'm sure everyone knows Omega Psi Phi was founded on the campus of Howard University. I'm also confident that everyone here knows that Omega was founded on November 17, 1911. But, how many of us know some of the background of Omega and its birth?

EDGAR - Did we get the notice back, yet?

OSCAR - No. I checked the mailbox just now and nothing.

EDGAR - What's taking so long?

FRANK - The administration seems to be ignoring us. We put in the formation request weeks ago.

ERNEST - I truly think they are stalling because they don't wish to see this through.

OSCAR - What do you think we should do?

(silence)

ERNEST - We need to formulate a major publicity campaign.

FRANK - Yes, all over campus!

EDGAR - And, this can be a great assignment for our new chapter members.

ERNEST - Yes.

OSCAR - What is the best means to go about the campaign?

ERNEST - We need to post up signs about Omega Psi Phi -- all over campus.

FRANK - Yes, that will get the word out to everyone.

ERNEST - It will spark a lot of interest amongst the students. With so much talk generating, the administration won't be able to ignore us any longer.

OSCAR - That's right. I can get some index cards, and we can write all of the information on them.

ERNEST - Good idea.

EDGAR - Yes. And with index cards, we can put them all over. On trees,
benches, and everywhere.

FRANK - And that is good because if we do this quickly, we can have the Omega publicity on campus before the president's speech to the student body that's coming up.

ERNEST - That's right. We can have all the cards on campus before he speaks, then we can make sure all of the brothers are sitting together in the audience.

FRANK - Yes!

EDGAR - Oscar, gather the index cards, and I will gather all the brothers. We can meet back here.

FRANK - Yes, we can work on it today and have the cards posted tonight on the main campus.

ERNEST - By tomorrow morning, everyone will have heard of Omega Psi Phi.

OSCAR - And by President Thirkield's address, the administration will know of us as well!

TY - The founders, as well as the new charter members went to work quickly. They posted information on Omega Psi Phi everywhere on Howard's yard. They especially posted index cards where the administration would see them in clear view. Just like they thought, this generated a lot of talk on Howard's campus among many of the students. There was no denying that there was a new fraternity in town and that new fraternity was Omega Psi Phi.

FRANK - Guys, over here!

(OSCAR COOPER and ERNEST JUST see FRANK COLEMAN sitting with some of the charter members and EDGAR LOVE.)

FRANK - We reserved these seats for the brothers.

ERNEST - Good idea.

(ERNEST and OSCAR sit with the other Omega brothers for the President's
address.)

OSCAR - Has the program started?

FRANK - No. President Thirkield should be introduced in a few minutes.

OSCAR - Okay. I'm going to run downstairs to the bathroom. I will be right back.

FRANK - Okay.

(OSCAR gets up and walks downstairs to the bathroom. He sees a classmate on his way back upstairs.)

OSCAR - Fredrick!

(Fredrick is with some other students and he turns around and sees OSCAR.)

FREDRICK - Oscar! How are you?

OSCAR - Good.

(FREDRICK walks toward OSCAR and whispers to him.)

FREDRICK - You got a minute? I need to ask you something.

OSCAR - Sure.

(They walk to a secluded corner.)

FREDRICK - Hey, aren't you in that new Omega frat?

OSCAR - Yes. Omega Psi Phi is the fraternity.

FREDRICK - Oh.

(FREDRICK seems to contemplate his next question before asking.)

FREDRICK - Why another fraternity? Why not just join the Alphas?

OSCAR - Because we don't want to join you guys. We've begun something different.

(FREDRICK smiles.)

FREDRICK - Think so?

(FREDRICK laughs as he walks away.)

OSCAR thinks - What's he talking about?

(The audience starts to clap which indicates the program beginning. OSCAR hurries back to his seat with the Omegas.)

OSCAR - Did I miss anything?

ERNEST - No. The president was just introduced and he's starting now.

OSCAR - I ran into Fredrick Miller, the Alpha Phi Alpha president, downstairs. He made a funny remark to me about Omega. I don't know what he meant though.

(Clapping begins again and the audience turns its attention to the podium on the stage as DR. THIRKIELD takes his place. DR. THIRKIELD raises both hands to quiet the crowd. He begins.)

DR. THIRKIELD - To the board of trustees, faculty, administration, professors, and students of Howard University, I greet with you a warm salutation. It is a great time in the life of our great university. Howard University is ahead in the areas of research and education. We have made great strides with the university hospital and additions to educational facilities on campus. We continue to embark upon our quest to create an archive at Founder's Library. In all areas of campus life, Howard is progressing and leading the way.

(The president pauses and then looks directly at the student audience.)

DR. THIRKIELD - As we continue to move forward, we as an administration and as a university will not tolerate unwarranted publicity stunts by any student or group. Specifically...

(He pauses.)

DR. THIRKIELD - ...the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, which does not exist!

(OSCAR and FRANK look at one another, both visibly surprised.)

DR. THIRKIELD - This fraternity never has existed, doesn't exist now, and will not exist!
:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 3

MIKE is riding to the campus of Amgis College to meet with GREG and
XAVIER, who are there watching the Phi Beta Sigma yard show. MIKE is riding with a visiting Kappa brother.


MIKE - Hey frat, thanks for the ride man. I can't believe them fools left me.

DELL - Don't sweat it, Mike. Maybe they were in a hurry to get there.

MIKE - But Xavier knew I wanted to go, too, and he has the only car. If I didn't run into you near the dorm driving by, I would've been left out of the festivities.

DELL - Yeah, ha ha ha, I hear ya.

MIKE - Us neos get no love, I tell ya. Xavier be trippin' sometimes.

DELL - Ha ha ha, neos get no love, huh?

MIKE - Naw, Nupe. Ever since I got off line, Xavier has been actin' real funny. I don't know. I love him, of course; he helped me come through. But sometimes he be actin' jealous. Like, some ol' female-type stuff.

DELL - Really?

MIKE - I mean, don't get me wrong. I ain't hatin'. Like I said, Xavier was mad instrumental in making sure I came in the right way. So, I got mad love.

DELL - Yeah, well that's important. Nowadays cats just signing applications and gettin' that Phi Nu Pi. You're not down with that are you Mike?

MIKE - Aw naw, D. Not at all! You got to earn yours the right way in my
opinion.

DELL - Why you say that?

MIKE - Because man, people skating up in here is the reason our organizations are not as strong as they once were. Look at us man; you know with nine organizations across the world, there shouldn?t be anything that we can't accomplish. You know what I'm sayin'?

DELL - I hear ya.

MIKE - Our communities need to be looking to us for guidance and leadership. Instead, we gettin' into fights at step shows and arguing over stupid stuff. I'm tellin' ya man, it's watered down.

DELL - Well, I don't know Mike. What about when the national office puts out a mandate on how to do things? Do you just disregard that?

MIKE - I'm not saying disregard it, but I think the national officers have lost touch with what the true meaning of fraternity is. To them, this is a business. To me, this is a brotherhood.

DELL - I hear ya.

MIKE - Oh, this is my song right here! Can I turn this up?

DELL - Oh, be my guest, Nupe.

(MIKE adjusts the volume on the radio.)

DELL - So, let me ask you this, Mike. How long have you been over? How long have you officially been a Kappa?

MIKE - Well, I crossed into Kappa a few weeks ago...technically.

DELL - Technically?

MIKE - Yeah. I signed my application and met all the requirements...but there was some pledging that I still had to do. Get my drift?

(MIKE smiles.)

DELL - Yeah, I gotcha.

MIKE - So, I had to do what I had to do. And that took much longer.

DELL - Oh, yeah?

MIKE - Bruh...much...

(MIKE emphasizes the word much.)

MIKE - ...much longer.

DELL - I hear ya, man.

MIKE - All day, all night. And all afternoon! For weeks!

DELL - No rest, huh?

MIKE - Naw, bruh, can't rest when you on that journey to Phi Nu Pi. You know what I'm sayin'? I'm just keepin' it real, frat!

DELL - Oh, I definitely follow, frat. Preach on!

MIKE - Can I get an amen!?

DELL - Amen!

(MIKE disguises his voice to sound like a preacher.)

MIKE - Well, then can I get a Yo! Yo!

DELL - Yo! Yo!

MIKE - Yes! And can I get a Yo, baby! Yo, baby! Yo!

DELL - Yo, baby! Yo, baby! Yo!

(They both laugh together as they approach the Amgis College campus gates.)

DELL - Last stop, Amgis College. Home of the Amgis College Blue Devils.

MIKE - This is the place.

DELL - We should be right on time for the Sigma show.

MIKE - Yeah, let's hurry.

(They park and walk to campus.)

MIKE - There's a big crowd over there. It must've just started.

DELL - Cool.

(MIKE and DELL hurry over.)

XAVIER - Does he go to school here? Isn?t his name Ahmad?

(XAVIER points to AHMAD.)

XAVIER - That one right there!

ERIC - I don't know him. You know him, B?

BEN - Yeah, I got a class with him now. Yeah, that's Ahmad. Why?

(XAVIER looks at GREGG, then back at ERIC and BEN.)

XAVIER - That dude was on line for Kappa at Ahpla! He was pledging our
chapter!

BEN - What? He did?

GREGG - Yeah! He used to go to Ahpla! He dropped our line!

ERIC - Are you serious?

XAVIER - Serious as a heart attack! That's him! I knew it! I knew it!

GREGG - Yo man, we need to pull him up!

BEN - Yeah, we do!

XAVIER - I can't believe he pledged Sigma after he professed his love for Kappa!

GREGG - We need to pull him up right now!

ERIC - Yeah! Let's stop this show right now!

(The Kappas start to make their way through the crowd toward the Sigma line when MIKE walks up.)

MIKE - Hey Nupe! What's goin' on man? Where y?all going?

(ERIC turns around and sees MIKE.)

ERIC - One of the new Sigmas was a Scroller at your school back in the day! He dropped and now is a Sigma, so we are gonna start some shi...

(ERIC notices DELL standing behind MIKE.)

ERIC - ...oh...uh, what's up Dell.

DELL - Good afternoon, Eric.

(ERIC quickly grabs BEN and calls out to GREGG and XAVIER.)

ERIC - Gregg! Z! Hold up!

XAVIER - What, man? We gotta handle this...

(They both turn around and see DELL.)

GREGG thinks - Oh, shoot!

DELL - Come on back, fellas.

(All the Kappas come back and join MIKE and DELL as the Sigma show
continues.)

GREGG - Yo Dell, we weren't gonna do anything, frat. Just ask him some
questions.

XAVIER - Yeah, we're cool man. Nothing major.

MIKE - Nothing major? What? This Sigma dude was on line for us and he
dropped? He was pledging my chapter? We need to kick his...

ERIC - Mike! Mike! Chill!

MIKE - What?

DELL - Guys, never mind this Sigma because I have different issues that we need to discuss. I wanna know why your neophyte Mike doesn't know his information.

MIKE - What? I know all my stuff! I know my history! What are you talking about man?

DELL - Then why didn't you know that I'm the Provincial Polemarch for this region while you were telling me how...hard...and how...much...illegal pledging you did?

No comments: