Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 69

AURORA ALEXIS is with her big sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority. She is having a hard time dealing with the numerous assignments and tasks they are instructing her to do.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - What in the name of God! Do the big sisters realize that I am only one person?

(PAULA grabs ALEXIS by her collar and brings her face close to hers.)

PAULA - Listen to me! I said that you're not moving fast enough! That means that you need to move faster, not slower! Do you understand?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Gamma Ramma!

PAULA - Now, stop feeling sorry for yourself and get this stuff done!

(PAULA forcibly lets go.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sist...

JENNIFER - Aurora, come here, please.

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister J Rho!

(ALEXIS quickly goes to JENNIFER.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - Do you know your history, Aurora?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - Say our founders!

AURORA ALEXIS - The Honorable Mary Lou Allis...

JENNIFER - Say them backwards!

(ALEXIS pauses.)

JENNIFER - Did I stutter? I said, say them backwards!

(ALEXIS turns around.)

AURORA ALEXIS - The Honorable Mary Lou Allison Gardner Little! The honorable Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson! The Honorable Vivian Whit...

CANDACE - Ha ha ha ha! I guess she got you, huh, Jenn! Ha ha ha ha!

JENNIFER - Oh don't worry, this sorry Aurora thinks she's slick! But, I got something for her; she's gonna mess up in a minute!

AURORA ALEXIS - The Honorable Hattie Mae...

JENNIFER - Stop! Turn back around!

(ALEXIS spins around.)

JENNIFER - What are these!

(JENNIFER points to the Greek letters on the jacket she has on.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Letters I'm not worthy to wear, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - What?

AURORA ALEXIS - Those are letters that I'm not worthy to wear, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - That's right! And when will you be worth to wear them?

AURORA ALEXIS - If I am ever so fortunate to cross the burning sands!

JENNIFER - Well, you are never going to cross the burning sands and do you know why, Aurora?

AURORA ALEXIS - No, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - Because none of us like you! That's why!

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - Who am I?

AURORA ALEXIS - Big Sister J Rho!

JENNIFER - And where am I from?

AURORA ALEXIS - You are Jenny from the block, Big Sister J Rho!

(JENNIFER smiles. ALEXIS is almost in tears from hearing JENNIFER say that the big sisters don't like her.)

PAULA - Aurora come here.

(ALEXIS turns and quickly approaches PAULA.)

PAULA - How many line sisters do you have?

AURORA ALEXIS - We are a line by ourselves, Big Sister Gamma Ramma!

PAULA - So, if something isn't done, we don't have anyone else to blame it on but you...huh, Aurora?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Gamma Ramma!

PAULA - Okay, so where's your daily journal?

AURORA ALEXIS - In my bag, Big Sister.

PAULA - Get it.

CANDACE thinks - Oh, God.

(ALEXIS brings her journal back.)

PAULA - Let me see it.

AURORA ALEXIS - No disrespect Big Sister, but Dean Big Sister told me never to give my...

PAULA - If you don't hand me that notebook I swear I will...

(PAULA pauses as if she is truly aggravated.)

PAULA - ...give it to me!

AURORA ALEXIS - No disrespect but I was instructe...

PAULA - Aurora, I'm only going to say this one more time...

(PAULA takes off her jacket.)

PAULA - Give me that journal.

(There is a knock on the door.)

CANDACE - Aurora, get the door.

(As ALEXIS turns to hurry toward the door, PAULA snatches the notebook from her. ALEXIS stops in her tracks.)

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - My journal!

CANDACE - I said to answer the door.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Oh, God, my book!

(There is another knock on the door. ALEXIS is watching PAULA open her journal.)

CANDACE - Alexis, open the door!

(ALEXIS quickly turns and opens the door.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Gree...

ROSALIND - Shhhh. Hush.

(ROSALIND walks in.)

ROSALIND - Hey sorors, wassup?

PAULA - Wassup? Wassup? I'll tell you what's up? How about your Aurora here, the same Aurora that you said wouldn't break under pressure, the same Aurora who you kept telling us was so strong, the one that you had all that confidence in...

(PAULA smiles as she pauses.)

PAULA - ...how about she handed over to me her daily pledge journal! Without a fight, without hesitation, or without a struggle. Just gave it up!
:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 2

WILLIE is waiting at the Ahpla Dome to meet and speak with DEXTER. She is surprised however by whom she finds there.


WILLIE thinks - This boy got me meeting him out here...well, actually, seeing him at the Dome was my idea, huh? Hee hee hee! I guess it will be kinda good to see Dex.

(WILLIE gets to the arena and looks around for DEXTER.)

WILLIE thinks - He isn't here yet. I hope he doesn't make me wait too long. I got things to do. I gotta go see the girls and...

JASON - Willie? Is that you? What are you doing out here in front of the Dome?

(WILLIE turns around and sees JASON walking with LARRY.)

WILLIE thinks - Oh, my God!

LARRY - Hey, Willie, girl.

WILLIE - Uh...hi Larry.

JASON - What are you doing out here, baby?

WILLIE - Um...

(WILLIE pauses.)

WILLIE - I was supposed to...um...to meet with one of the pledges. Breanna. But she is so late...

(WILLIE looks over JASON's shoulder for DEXTER.)

WILLIE - ...that I was just getting ready to leave.

LARRY - Aw, shoot! A late pledgee! Can I be around and watch the festivities when you run into her later?

WILLIE - Stop being silly, Larry.

JASON - Well, let me walk with you. Larry, I'll holla at cha lata, frat.

LARRY - Just because she has better legs than me, don't mean you gotta choose her over me, ya know!

(LARRY laughs as he walks toward the main yard on campus.)

JASON - So what's up, baby? Which direction you going?

WILLIE - Oh um...this way.

(WILLIE turns away from the yard where DEXTER will probably be walking from.)

WILLIE thinks - Dag! I really wanted to see Dex. Man!

JASON - So, what's been goin' on? I feel like I haven't seen you since y'all's line started.

WILLIE - I know J. You know how it is with that though.

JASON - Oh, of course, I understand. We're about to start talking about having a line and it'll be the same way for us.

WILLIE thinks - What is Dex gonna think when he gets there and I'm not there!

(silence)

JASON - You know what I'm sayin'? By that time, you won't see me at all! Ha ha ha ha ha.

WILLIE - Uh, yeah. Ha ha.

WILLIE thinks - Maybe I can go into the bathroom and call Dexter's cell phone and tell him what happened. But if I tell him that Jason just showed up, it may hurt his feelings and he might not want to talk to me anymore.

JASON - ...so this is the crazy part. I thought it was supposed to be Reggie, but Quinton shows up and...

WILLIE thinks - Dag, I don't want to hurt Dex right now. He is going through so much. Just the fact that he told me what he did, I know he's going through a lot. That isn't even like him, to open up like that. I wish he was like this before! Why is he doing this now?

JASON - Isn't that crazy? Ha ha ha ha!

WILLIE - Huh? Oh, uh, yeah. That's crazy.

WILLIE thinks - I feel so bad about this. What am I supposed to do? Why didn't he tell me these things when we both crossed? Why does he wait until I have a boyfriend before he tells me how he feels about me? Why can't he just let me move on and be happy?

JASON - So, what you think?

(silence)

JASON - Willie.

WILLIE - Huh?

JASON - Is something on your mind? You all right?

WILLIE thinks - Jason, I need to speak to you about...

WILLIE - I'm okay. I'm sorry Jason. I'm just a little preoccupied with not meeting up with...Breanna.

JASON - Oh. Don't sweat it, hon -- you know how it is with pledgees. They get caught up in all kinds of stuff.

WILLIE - Yeah.

(JASON grabs WILLIE?s hand.)

JASON - Don't let it bother you. I'm sure there's a good reason.

(JASON and WILLIE turn a corner hand in hand and both stop.)

JASON - Hey! Dexter, man, what's up, dude?

WILLIE thinks - Oh, Jesus!

(DEXTER looks at JASON, then to WILLIE, then back at JASON.)

DEXTER - Jason, what's up. Hey Willie.

WILLIE - Hi, Dexter. How you doin'?

DEXTER - I'm cool.

(JASON lets go of WILLIE's hand in order to shake DEXTER's.)

JASON - I need to holla at you one of these days, Dexter. I may run for president of the Pan-Hellenic Council. So if I do, I'd need your vote, of course.

DEXTER - Of course, J. No problem.

JASON - Thanks, man. I appreciate it. We'll talk.

DEXTER - Yeah.

JASON - So, I'll holla at cha lata then.

DEXTER - Yeah. Sure.

(JASON grabs WILLIE's hand and they begin to walk away.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

MIRI is at the airport with his brothers of Phi Beta Sigma. He is departing for Africa and they are sending him off.

BRANDON - I still can't believe you're gonna be gone, man. I'm gonna miss you.

MIRI - Don't get emotional on me, Brandon. I swore I wasn't gonna cry doing this.

BRANDON - I know man, I know. I won't get emotional. But dag, dude, Africa? You couldn't transfer to Amgis or something. It had to be Africa?

(MIRI shrugs.)

MIRI - Sometimes you gotta follow your heart man.

BRANDON - Hey, nothing wrong with that. I hear ya.

CALVIN - Speaking of following your heart, Miri, are you okay, man? Gina isn't here.

MIRI - I'm okay. I said I wasn't gonna cry.

(MIRI forces a laugh.)

MIRI - But seriously, I spoke to her yesterday. She said she may come to the airport to send me off but she couldn't guarantee. It's just too emotional for her.

CALVIN - Dag, man, that's deep. She loves you so much that she can't even come see you off?

BRANDON - Will you shut up?! You're making it worse.

MIRI - It's okay, man. Can't get any worse.

(HAYDEN walks up.)

HAYDEN - Hey, man. Take care of yourself and represent Phi Beta well over there.

MIRI - I will, Hayden. Thanks.

HAYDEN - Can I get a quick greeting before you go?

(Everyone laughs.)

MIRI - Heck no!

HAYDEN - Come on, man! Just a quick one.

(MIRI smiles.)

MIRI - Greetings Big Brother Smooth Blue Lion!

(silence)

HAYDEN - Never mind! Never mind! Take care man and God bless you, Miri.

(MIRI and HAYDEN hug. While hugging, MIRI looks over HAYDEN's shoulder for GINA. He doesn't see her.)

COREY - Hey Miri, we got a little something for ya, frat.

MIRI - Really?

(COREY hands MIRI a brown bag.)

COREY - Sorry about the ghetto gift-wrap. Last-minute kinda thing.

MIRI - No problem, dean!

(MIRI opens the bag.)

MIRI - Aw man! This is hot! Thanks!

(MIRI holds up a white Phi Beta Sigma jacket. The continent of Africa is on the back.)

MIRI - This is so hot!

AHMAD - Um...I'm goin' to Africa too! Can I get a jacket?

(Everyone laughs as MIRI puts his jacket on.)

VINCENT - That's hot, man! Looks good on you!

MIRI - Thanks! Thanks, Corey!

COREY - No doubt, man! Wear it well. Send us a poem or two while you're there.

MIRI - I sure will.

(MIRI and COREY hug.)

VINCENT - Hey, let me get one last picture of you and your line.

MIRI - Okay, cool.

(AHMAD, SETH, BRANDON, CALVIN, and MIRI line up and pose.)

MIRI - Hey wait, hold up!

(MIRI looks down the hall at a girl that looks like GINA. It isn?t her.)

MIRI thinks - Dag!

CALVIN - What? Wassup?

MIRI - Uh, nothing. Go ahead.

(They pose again and VINCENT snaps the picture.)

VINCENT - Cool.

AHMAD - How much time do you have before your flight leaves?

(MIRI looks at the security check point and at the clock on the wall.)

MIRI - Oh God, I need to go. My flight is already boarding!

AHMAD - Dag bruh, I'm glad I asked! Hey Miri, I love you man. Take care.

MIRI - Thanks man, I love you, too.

(MIRI and AHMAD hug. SETH walks up.)

SETH - Yeah, man, we?ll miss you and be praying for you. Hurry up and come back.

MIRI - I will.

(They hug.)

MIRI - Bran, take care man. I know you're a little hurt over Denice. But let me leave you with this, man. Don't take love for granted...

(MIRI looks down the hall for GINA again.)

MIRI - ...trust me on that.

BRANDON - Thanks, man. I'll remember that.

MIRI - I mean it, man. You're important to me, Brandon. You were the one who invited me to take a look at Phi Beta Sigma. Thank you.

BRANDON - Thank you for taking it seriously. I love you, man.

MIRI - I love you, too.

(MIRI and BRANDON hug long.)

MIRI - Cal, I'm gonna miss you the most, Scarecrow!

CALVIN - Shut up!

MIRI - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! But seriously, come here for a second.

CALVIN - Hurry up, man, you don't have a lot of time.

(MIRI and CALVIN step to the side.)

MIRI - Listen, man, I know I didn't like you at first...

CALVIN - Say no more, man. You know I love you and I know you got my back. That's all that needs to be said.

(silence)

(MIRI smiles.)

MIRI - Look man, I need for you to do something for me.

CALVIN - Anything.

(MIRI reaches into his pocket and pulls out an envelope.)

MIRI - Give this to Gina for me.

(silence)

CALVIN - Sure, man. I will. I'll make sure she gets it.

(MIRI wipes his eyes.)

MIRI - Please do.

(MIRI turns and walks toward the security check point. He holds up the sign and yells in the airport.)

MIRI - Blue Phi!

SIGMAS - You Know!

MIRI thinks - Don't cry! Don't cry!

(MIRI goes through security and waits for his laptop to come through.)

MIRI thinks - Don't cry.

(As MIRI waits for his laptop he looks down the hall. He sees his fraternity brothers walking away, but more importantly, he doesn?t see GINA.)

SECURITY GUARD - Is this yours, sir?

MIRI - Yes, thank you.

(MIRI grabs his laptop and jogs to his gate. He pulls his ticket out of his pocket and tries his best to hold back tears.)

MIRI thinks - Dag, Gina! Dag!

(MIRI hands the woman his ticket as he continues to turn around.)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - You need to board the aircraft, sir.

MIRI - Huh? Oh, yeah. Okay.

(MIRI lowers his head and walks onto the plane, takes off his jacket, and sits down. As he is fastening his seat belt, the flight attendant approaches him.)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Are you okay with everything?

MIRI - Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm okay.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Your eyes look puffy. Are you ill?

MIRI - No, no. I?m okay.

(MIRI rubs his eyes and gains his composure.)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Well, buzz me if you need anything. We've got a long ride.

MIRI - Okay, sure. Thanks.

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - Oh and uh...

(The flight attendant hands MIRI a piece of paper.)

FLIGHT ATTENDANT - I was told to give this to you.

MIRI - Huh?

(She smiles and walks away.)

MIRI thinks - What the...

(MIRI opens the paper.)

MIRI reads - Turn around and look a few rows back!

No comments: