Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 66

The ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho are in AURORA ALEXIS' room. CANDACE and JENNIFER are in the bedroom, while AURORA ALEXIS is on the phone with ROSALIND.

JENNIFER - Well, is there anything that I can do for Paula?

CANDACE - I don't think so. She's cool. I told her to lay low for a while and not come through to talk to Alexis. I know how Paula can get pissed off in a hot second and I don't want her over here.

JENNIFER -Yeah, I hear that. She's like a volcano ready to explode on a pledgee half the time anyway. So now I know it?s bad with her being upset with Bobby.

CANDACE - Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'.

Meanwhile in the other room...

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes big sister, I got it. Chicken and broccoli and fried rice. The combination. I got it.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - How in the world am I supposed to pay for this!

AURORA ALEXIS - Oh hold on big sister, I think I heard a knock on my door.

(ALEXIS opens the door.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Greetings Big Sister Gamma Ramma!

(PAULA walks in past ALEXIS without speaking.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Big Sister Gamma Ramma, you are the coolest, bluest, the all-time newest...

PAULA - Stop. Be quiet. Where are your other big sisters?

AURORA ALEXIS - In the other room, Big Sister Gamma Ramma.

(silence)

PAULA - Come here.

(PAULA turns and walks toward the bathroom. ALEXIS follows.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Oh God! Oh God!

(PAULA walks into the bathroom and instructs ALEXIS to close the door behind her.)

PAULA - Look. I'm not really in a good mood but I need to talk to you. Woman to woman.

AURORA ALEXIS - Okay, Big Sister Gamma Ramma.

PAULA - Try your best not to say anything to piss me off, okay?

AURORA ALEXIS - Yes, Big Sister Gamma Ramma.

PAULA - I know there has been tension between you and me that has nothing to do with Sigma Gamma Rho. And before this week, I really didn't care about it. Those were your issues and unfortunately for you, I'm the big sister. So get over it. But now...

(PAULA pauses.)

PAULA - Now I'm going through something.

(silence)

AURORA ALEXIS - What's wrong big sister?

PAULA - I, uh...

(PAULA chokes up but refuses to cry. Especially in front of ALEXIS.)

PAULA - ...I caught Bobby. Cheating.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Oh shoot!

(ALEXIS turns away and looks down, clearly affected by what PAULA has said.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Was it Trina?

(ALEXIS closes her eyes; hoping that the answer is no.)

PAULA - No. It wasn't anyone named Trina. I was some girl...a freshman.

AURORA ALEXIS - A freshman?

(PAULA is choking up.)

PAULA - Yeah. She was young.

AURORA ALEXIS - Big sister, I'm sorry.

PAULA - I didn't pull you in here to get your sympathy, Alexis.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Oh. I better shut up!

PAULA - I pulled you in here because I think now I can relate to some of the things that you were feeling when you started line. I thought you wanted my man back. So I almost didn't vote in favor of having you on our line.

AURORA ALEXIS - It wasn't that at all, big sister.

PAULA - I don't think it was now.

AURORA ALEXIS - I was hurt because even though I love Quinton, it's hard to see your ex-boyfriend with someone else. I want Bobby to be happy. If that is with you, then fine. I just don't want to see it. That was my problem. I just don't want to see it. I don't want Bobby back.

PAULA - I don't want him back either.

(silence)

(There is a knock on the bathroom door.)

JENNIFER - Aurora! Did we give you permission to go to the bathroom!

PAULA - Get back into pledge mode. Come on.

(PAULA walks past ALEXIS, who straightens herself up. As PAULA opens the door, she turns back to ALEXIS.)

PAULA - Alexis...thanks.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

DEXTER has gone upstairs and picked up the phone. He dials WILLIE.


DEXTER - Hey Willie, it's Dex.

(silence)

WILLIE - Hey man, what's up?

DEXTER - I'm cool. How are you?

WILLIE - Good, good.

DEXTER - Are you busy?

WILLIE - Naw. Hold on a second.

(WILLIE puts the phone down and DEXTER can hear her music turn down.)

WILLIE - Hello.

DEXTER - Yeah.

WILLIE - What's up?

DEXTER - We haven't spoken in a while so I wanted to call you to holla at 'cha.

WILLIE - You did?

(DEXTER laughs.)

DEXTER - What? Old friends can't talk on the phone?

(WILLIE laughs as well.)

WILLIE - Of course, we can. What you wanna talk about?

DEXTER - Well?

(WILLIE's other line rings.)

WILLIE - Uh, hold on, Dex. My other line is ringing.

DEXTER - Cool.

(WILLIE clicks over.)

WILLIE - Hello.

JASON - Hey.

WILLIE - Hey, baby.

JASON - What you up to?

WILLIE - Nothin' much. Talking to Robin on the phone about the girls.

JASON - Oh, okay. Well, call me when you're done.

WILLIE - You want me to hang up with her? I can if you want.

JASON - No, no, no, talk to her. I was just callin' to see what was up. Call me at home when you're finished.

WILLIE - Okay, sweetie. I'll call you back in a few.

JASON - Aight.

(WILLIE clicks back over.)

WILLIE - Hello?

(silence)

WILLIE - Dexter?

(DEXTER makes a noise like he is snoring.)

WILLIE - Oh, boy, shut up! I wasn't that long!

DEXTER - Ha ha ha ha ha!

WILLIE - That was Robin, she says, "hello."

DEXTER - Oh, do you need to go?

WILLIE - Oh no, I'm cool, She just told me what time I had to be there. It's all good.

DEXTER - Oh, okay.

WILLIE - And I know you ain't jokin' about falling asleep on the phone as long as you used to leave me on hold back in the day!

DEXTER - What? When?

WILLIE - Boy, please! Ha ha ha! I used to be talking to you and about to say something real deep! Let one of the bruhs call, and oh boy!

DEXTER - That's not true Willie.

WILLIE - Heck yeah, it is! You know your life stops when your boys are around. When the Omegas are around, y'all just lose control!

DEXTER - You the same way with your sorors.

WILLIE - Not like y'all! Nobody is like y'all and you know it! Why the heck ain't none of y'all got a girlfriend? Huh? You know good and well that girls hate it how y'all act.

DEXTER - Buck has a girlfriend.

WILLIE - Because Buck is the most tame out of all of y'all! Most people don't even know that Buck is a Que. Man, please! You know you can't argue with me! Ha ha ha ha!

(DEXTER starts to laugh.)

DEXTER - You know what?

WILLIE - What?

DEXTER - Maybe you're right! Ha ha ha ha ha!

WILLIE - I know I'm right, boo! Ha ha ha ha! Why do you think we didn't last! Ha ha ha ha!

(DEXTER stops laughing and there is an uncomfortable silence.)

WILLIE - Oh, I'm sorry about that.

DEXTER - No, no, Willie, you're right. If anything...I'm sorry.

(silence)

DEXTER - I'm sorry that I didn't listen when...

WILLIE - Dex don't do this, please.

(silence)

DEXTER - It's just that...

WILLIE - Stop! It's just that I have a boyfriend now! That's exactly what it is! It's just that I...

DEXTER - It's just that I still love you!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BOBBY is in his room alone. He just let TRINA out and is leaving yet another message for PAULA.

BOBBY - Paula, please pick up the phone. Please.

(silence)

BOBBY - Paula, I'm sorry. Can you just do me the privilege to hear me out? Please. If you do that, I promise I won't...

(BEEP)

(BOBBY slowly puts the phone down and sits down.)

BOBBY thinks - What am I gonna...

(The telephone rings and BOBBY picks up immediately.)

BOBBY - Paula?

CARYN - Bobby, this is Caryn!

BOBBY - Oh...uh...

CARYN - Come meet me at the hospital! It's Lil' Derrick! He isn't breathing!

BOBBY - My son! I'll be right there!

(BOBBY grabs his coat and runs out the door.)

BOBBY thinks - He isn't breathing? What in the world?

(BOBBY runs outside of his place and spots a cab, which is rare. He immediately flags it down and gets in.)

BOBBY - I need to get to the hospital fast! It's an emergency!

DRIVER - No problem!

(The cab races off as BOBBY calls CARYN back.)

CARYN crying - Bobby, oh my God!

BOBBY - Where are you?

CARYN - I'm at the hospital now!

BOBBY - Is he okay?

CARYN - I don't know! I don't know!

BOBBY - Okay, calm down! I'm on my way! Where's Derrick?

CARYN - On his way to...to...

(CARYN is breathing heavy.)

BOBBY - Okay, okay, calm down! I'm almost there, okay?

CARYN - Bobby, hurry!

(They hang up as the cab pulls up. BOBBY throws the driver the money and runs out. He sees CARYN in the emergency room crying.)

BOBBY - What happened?

CARYN - He wasn't breathing, Bobby! He was just laying there!

BOBBY - Where were you when it happened?

CARYN - Well, I was at Mona's...and...and...Diana...

BOBBY - Who?

(CARYN breaks down and starts crying.)

BOBBY - You weren't with him?

(The doctor walks out and calls CARYN?s name.)

CARYN - How is my baby? How is he?

DR. DAVIS - Caryn your boy is fine. He has something lodged in his windpipe. He swallowed something. Luckily, you got him here in time.

CARYN - Oh, thank you, Jesus!

DR. DAVIS - Is this the baby's father?

(CARYN looks at BOBBY.)

BOBBY - Yes. Yes, I am.

DR. DAVIS - Okay. Well, you two will have to have an exit interview with one of our social workers. Sit right here and one will be right with you.

BOBBY - A social worker?

DR. DAVIS - Be more careful next time. Please.

(The doctor walks away and CARYN and BOBBY sit down. CARYN is wiping her face and still crying.)

(silence)

BOBBY - Caryn, their gonna have a social worker talk to you like you're an unfit parent.

CARYN - They are?

BOBBY - What do you think social workers are for?

CARYN - I take care of Lil' Derrick. I love my baby!

(silence)

BOBBY - Maybe the baby should stay with me for a while.

CARYN - What!

BOBBY - I just think that...

CARYN - Since when did you become Mr. Responsibility?

BOBBY - I just been thinking lately and a lot is changing in my life right now. A lot is changing. And I want to...

CARYN - Bobby, if you think you're gonna...

MR. DESRA - Hello Caryn? Bobby? My name is Donald Desra and I have been assigned to your case. If you would follow me we can have a seat and go over a few things.

No comments: