Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 19

The ladies of Delta Sigma Theta are meeting and conducting their final vote on their line. There are some Deltas in attendance who are already Ahpla graduates.

WILLIE - Good afternoon, sorors. I appreciate y'all coming out to this meeting, I know it was short notice and this is not our usual meeting time, but we all know the importance of this meeting.

ROBIN
- Indeed.

WILLIE
- And I certainly want to welcome Robin's line sisters Devonya and Lynn back to campus. It's good seeing y'all sorors; thanks for coming.

(DEVONYA and LYNN smile and wave.)

WILLIE - Now, let's get to business though. As you all know, we have a huge decision to make in regards to intake. We have been approached by two individuals. One more recent than the other. We all know the stories on these women so we can openly discuss them. But let's leave Breanna til last since I think her situation may cause a bit more discussion.
CHRISTIAN - Good idea.
WILLIE - So that brings up Theresa first.
ROBIN - Why don't you discuss Theresa since you have known her the longest?
WILLIE - Okay cool.

(WILLIE pauses.)

WILLIE - Theresa and I have been good friends for a while. But our friendship has really been tested recently. All of you know that my boyfriend is Jason. But you all may not now that Jason dated Theresa before he dated me.
CHRISTIAN - He did?
CHRISTIAN thinks - Wow, my kind of woman. Go after your best friend's man!
Hee hee!
WILLIE - Yes. Now of course, the normal code is never go after your friend's ex. But the situation that they had was doomed and crazy from the start. He had lied to her about wanting to pledge, she got mad and took it out on him in all kinds of ways. She sent a letter to the Alphas as if he sent it which almost cost him making line. He hit her on the yard. I mean, it was crazy from the start.
ROBIN - What? I didn't know all that!
WILLIE - So when he crossed, he sat down with her and they apologized to each other and both agreed that they basically weren't meant to be more than friends. Then I spoke to her when he expressed an interest in me and she gave me her stamp of approval.
CHRISTIAN - So why was your friendship strained?
WILLIE - Even though she told me it was okay for me to date Jason, I can imagine it still hurt her feelings. For her to go through all those extremes to make Jason's life miserable, she must have had strong feelings. And when I asked her about my going out with him, I guess she would have looked like a jealous crazy chick to stand in my way. So she approved. And although we are cool, there was tension.
ROBIN - I see.
WILLIE - So now she is coming out for Delta and that caught me totally off guard. She has never, ever, ever expressed an interest in any sorority. As a matter of fact, she has had bad things to say about sorority life since I have known her. She thinks all Greeks are silly, catty, and over-glorified.
CHRISTIAN - I did get a chance to speak to Theresa. She called me twice and I met with her once. She didn't give me that impression at all.
ROBIN - Yeah, me neither. I think she may have thought that way before she got to see Willie work within the sorority. It seems as if she really looks up to you Willie, and wants to have an impact on things the way that you do. Everyone on campus knows how hard you work, whether it's DST or student council. That is admirable and she probably is looking to you for that same capacity of involvement.
WILLIE - That is what I thought, but it just still seems funny to me that she would talk us down so bad and never, not once, mention an interest.

(LYNN raises her hand.)

WILLIE - Go ahead, Lynn.
LYNN - Sorors, I just wanted to interject and ask a quick question. Of course I don't know this young lady so I wanted to know how much work she does on campus now. If she is trying to get into Delta to do work or to be like Willie, then maybe she is going about this for the wrong reason.
WILLIE - Actually, she is a very hard worker. She is the vice president under me in student government and has really been a right-hand woman. She has great ideas and creative ways to see them through. So on that note, she gets an A+.
LYNN - Okay, just asking. Sounds good.
ROBIN - A really good question is this: Would you want her as your soror?

(silence)

ROBIN - Chris, would you?
CHRISTIAN - Yeah, I would. She seems like a positive person and definitely a hard worker. What about yourself Robin?
ROBIN - Definitely. She impressed me, and y'all know I'm hard to impress. Ha ha ha ha.
DEVONYA - Heck yeah, you are! Ha ha ha!

(Everyone laughs.)

ROBIN - What about you, Wilhemina? Would you like Theresa as your soror?

(WILLIE is seriously thinking on her best, most honest answer.)

WILLIE - When I weigh what I have thought of her recently against the greater good for the chapter and for the sisterhood, then my answer has to be...
CHRISTIAN thinks - Hurry up! We need to move on to this Breanna chick that Alex all of a sudden loves! Because I got a few things to say about Miss Thing!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Phi Beta Sigma have left the frat house after eating, leaving
only HAYDEN and CURT. The Crescents have talked the Zetas into taking them
away and are sneaking out back and getting into the car.


SALEEMA - Hurry up, y'all! Stay low and lay down in the back seat!
CRESCENT DALE - This is like some ol' spy stuff! This is cool!
CRESCENT AHMAD - Anything that can get us away from the big brothers is cool
with me!
CRESCENT CALVIN - You can second that emotion.

(The Crescents pile up in the back seat of the car. SALEEMA and DENICE jump
in and pull out of the driveway. They head toward Ahpla's campus.)

DENICE - You know your big brothers would kick our butts if they knew we were
doing this for you guys.
CRESCENT MIRI - Y'all know we appreciate it, Big Sister Resource.
DENICE - You better.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Okay guys listen up. We have a few hours at Ahpla but we
need to make use of our time wisely. We have a lot that we can get done if we separate our tasks and knock them out individually.
CRESCENT AHMAD - Good idea.
CRESCENT CALVIN - So how do y'all want to split up the responsibilities?

(CRESCENT DALE pulls out a pad and a pen from his coat pocket.)

CRESCENT DALE - Y'all know I'm always equipped with a pad and pen! Ha ha!

(They all laugh.)

CRESCENT CALVIN - Okay this is how we're gonna do it: Crescent Miri, you can
get to the library and look up that history that Big Brother Smooth Blue Lion wanted.
CRESCENT MIRI - Cool.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Crescent Dale, you and Ahmad can go to the student union
and pick up the cleaning supplies that we need to clean the frat house.
CRESCENT AHMAD - Good idea. I know where the student union is on campus and
Miri would have an easier time in the library. He has an Ahpla ID and mine is
Amgis.
CRESCENT CALVIN - True. Now while you guys do that, I can go to the plot store and pick up the paddles, the letters and the paint that we need for the paddles that we have to make for Dean, Smooth Blue Lion, Big Brother Blue Lightning, Big Brother Casper, Big Brother Mysterioso, Big Brother Rhythm and Blue and uh...who did I forget?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Big Brother Blue Tang Clan.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Oh yeah, how could I have forgotten him?! Thanks, Crescent
Brandon.
CRESCENT BRANDON - What am I gonna do?
CRESCENT CALVIN - Okay, Crescent Brandon, we are going to go to your room first and you can let us borrow some common clothes. We can't go walking around campus looking like a bunch of pledgees. Then, in the meantime, you can wash our sweaters. These smell like...well they smell like we've been pledging.
CRESCENT BRANDON - Okay.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Don't make them lemony fresh. We don't want to raise any
suspicions with the big brothers. Just make them clean.
CRESCENT BRANDON - Gotcha.
SALEEMA - Now that y'all have finished with y'all's planning, what do y'all plan to do to repay us for helping y'all out?
CRESCENT CALVIN - How does dinner sound for the big sisters?
SALEEMA - Sounds good.

(The rest of the ride to Ahpla is quiet except for the Crescents whispering
more plans as they lie across one another in the back of the car.)

CRESCENT CALVIN - Okay check this out, we should be nearing Ahpla soon. We
should have the big sisters pull around the back of Brandon's dorm. Then we should get out of the car one at a time. Crescent Brandon should get out first. Is there some kind of way we can get into the building without going through the front lobby, Crescent Brandon?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yeah, there is a parking garage underneath the building. The gate opens up if I wave my access key in front of it. Once inside, we can take the elevator upstairs.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Great! That's perfect. So you get out first and open the gate, and then we can make a dash for it one at a time. We're not really safe until we get inside Crescent Brandon's room.
CRESCENT AHMAD - Yeah.
DENICE - We are about there, guys? So y'all want us to swing around to the back
of the dorm?
CRESCENT CALVIN - Yes please. We are going to go in through the garage.
SALEEMA - Okay.
CRESCENT CALVIN - So before we separate are there any questions?
CRESCENT MIRI - Naw, I'm cool.
CRESCENT DALE - I'm straight.
CRESCENT AHMAD - I'm ready.
CRESCENT BRANDON - I'm cool too.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Good. Let's see if we can get all this done in about three hours. If we do that, then we can do the best thing of all.
CRESCENT MIRI - What's that?
CRESCENT CALVIN - Sleep! Ha ha ha ha!

(They all laugh.)

SALEEMA - Be quiet guys, we're here. I am pulling up around back now. Y'all
ready?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yes Big Sister Madam President, I'm ready to run and open the garage.
SALEEMA - Okay, go now.

(CRESCENT BRANDON jumps out of the car and runs to the garage. He pulls out
his key and swipes it against the garage sensor. Nothing happens.)

CRESCENT BRANDON thinks - What the heck happened to my key?

(He does it again slowly and the door starts to rise.)

CRESCENT BRANDON thinks - Oh okay. I must have done it too fast. Whew!

(He waves to the others to come along and they file out of the car one at a time until they are all in the garage. CRESCENT BRANDON swipes his card on the inside and the door closes down.)

CRESCENT DALE - I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me! Just being in the safety of this garage and not in the Sigma frat house!
CRESCENT CALVIN - I agree.
CRESCENT AHMAD - It feels good to just walk now and not have to march in line
everywhere.
CRESCENT BRANDON - I know that's right.

(They all laugh as they walk past the parked cars to the elevator.)

CRESCENT DALE - Is anybody else hungry?
CRESCENT AHMAD - I know I am.
CRESCENT CALVIN - Yeah, cooking for the big brothers does nothing but make us
more hungry!
CRESCENT DALE - It makes me hungry and it gets on my nerves! Especially Big
Brother Blue Tang Clan!
CRESCENT BRANDON - Yeah!

(CRESCENT DALE does a voice imitating Big Brother Blue Tang Clan.)

CRESCENT DALE - Crescents! Now y'all better understand what I'm trying to
teach y'all now!

(They all laugh.)

CRESCENT CALVIN - Dag you sound just like him! Ha ha ha ha!
CRESCENT AHMAD - Yeah, it's almost scary!

(CRESCENT DALE continues as they reach the elevator and push the "up" button.)

CRESCENT DALE - Right after y'all cook for me and wash my car, I'm gonna teach
you something that y'all didn't know about brotherhood! So pay attention ... right after I eat!
CRESCENT BRANDON - Wow that is so scary! Seems like he is right here! I'm
glad he isn't though, I don't want to see him again for a while!

(The elevator door opens and all the Sigmas are inside. CURT is in the front
smiling.)

CURT - You don't want to see the big brothers for a while? That's a shame
Crescents, because we always look forward to seeing you. We missed you guys so
much, we decided to meet you here and show you how much we miss you ... all
night long!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BOBBY and CARYN have driven to the most expensive hotel in town, where CARYN has a master suite.

BOBBY - Dag girl, you ballin' like this?
CARYN - Something like that. Hee hee hee!

(CARYN pulls her truck up and the valet opens their doors.)

BOBBY - You ain't even gotta park it huh? I hear it.
CARYN - Benefits of the good life.

(They walk into the lobby together.)

BOBBY - This spot is real nice. I have always seen this hotel when I drive downtown but never been inside. I always wanted to see the inside.
CARYN - Wait til you see the room I got. It's off the chain!

(They go into the elevator and CARYN has to use her room key in the elevator
to access the floor that her room is on.)

BOBBY - Dag, I see they keep the common folk off of the floor that you are on
huh? Ha ha ha.
CARYN - Only VIP baby.

(CARYN turns to face BOBBY and starts to kiss him.)

BOBBY thinks - I am the freakin' man!

(The elevator gets to the floor and they walk to CARYN's suite.)

CARYN - Here we are; check this out, babe.

(CARYN opens the door to a beautiful suite.)

BOBBY - This joint is phat! I love it!

(BOBBY plops down on the couch and puts his feet up.)

CARYN - Come on, let me show you around.

(CARYN walks BOBBY through the living room, dining room and huge bathroom.)

BOBBY - This tub is huge! You could have a party in there!
CARYN - Come on, let's get in. It has jacuzzi jets.
BOBBY - That sounds like a plan!

(CARYN turns the water on and pours some bubble bath in.)

CARYN - You hungry?
BOBBY - Starvin'.
CARYN - Let's call room service. Food here is great!
BOBBY - I can imagine, but how much is it?
CARYN - Don't sweat it babe. I got ya.
BOBBY thinks - I am the man!
BOBBY - Cool! Get me some pasta or somethin'.
CARYN - Cool.

(CARYN grabs the phone and places two orders of pasta and shrimp. BOBBY gets undressed and gets in the tub.)

BOBBY thinks - I am in heaven! This is off the hook!
CARYN - The food will be right up. They really rush the orders when you stay
in rooms like this.
BOBBY - Cool! Come on in, the water is real hot.
CARYN - Aight!

(CARYN gets undressed and gets in with BOBBY. She sits in front of him and he
massages her shoulders.)

CARYN - Oooh, that feels good. I need to relax.
BOBBY - Relax? Relax from what? You have more money now than you can spend. What you got to stress about?
CARYN - That lil' boy is hard to keep up with. He is running around now and getting into stuff. The terrible twos. So he thinks he's grown and I can't tell him nothing.
BOBBY - Oh he isn't that bad is he? Lil' Derrick is probably just taking after
me.
CARYN - Then you must have been a hard-headed little boy because that is exactly what he is!

(BOBBY laughs.)

CARYN - Running behind him is like a full-time job.
BOBBY - Wow. Well you do your thing, girl.

(There is a knock on the door.)

CARYN - Come on in!
BOBBY - They'll set the food up in the dining room. Come on, let's get out so we can eat.
BOBBY - Cool, I'm mad hungry.

(They get out of the tub and dry off. CARYN puts on a T-shirt and some jeans
and BOBBY throws his clothes back on.)

BOBBY - Wow, this looks great!
CARYN - They must have the best chefs in the world downstairs. They are no
joke!

(They begin to eat.)

CARYN - Dag, I knew there was something missing! We forgot to order some
drinks.

(CARYN grabs the phone and orders a bottle of champagne.)

CARYN - It should be right up.
BOBBY - You got the bubbly huh? You trying to get me started up in here? Ha ha ha ha!
CARYN - You know how I like it and I know how you bring it. That's why I keep
your number locked into my cell phone babe. Ha ha ha.

(BOBBY laughs.)

BOBBY thinks - I am the freakin' man!

(A key opens the door.)

BOBBY - Dag, that champagne was quick!

(DERRICK walks in holding LIL' DERRICK. BOBBY jumps up out of his chair.)

CARYN thinks - Oh my God!
BOBBY thinks - He is about to kick my...
CARYN - Derrick? What are you doing here? I thought you were on the road!
DERRICK - You thought wrong!

(DERRICK approaches BOBBY. BOBBY backs up.)

BOBBY - Look man, I didn't know that...I mean nothing happened here... I mean...
DERRICK - Don't worry dude, I'm just here to make a little exchange with you.
BOBBY - Exchange?

(DERRICK places the baby in BOBBY's arms.)

BOBBY - What are you doing?
DERRICK - Make sure you don't feed him too late at night. It gives him stomach pains and real bad gas.
BOBBY - Huh?

(LIL' DERRICK starts to cry as soon as DERRICK lets him go.)

DERRICK - And you...let's go!

(DERRICK grabs CARYN's arm.)

BOBBY - Hey wait!

(DERRICK leads CARYN out of the suite and slams the door behind them.)

No comments: