Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 51

SEAN stops by his room to pick up his wallet on the way to completing tasks for his big brothers of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. He is very surprised when he opens he door.

CENTAUR SEAN - Oh shoot! I don't have my wallet on me! Let me run upstairs and get it.

(SEAN runs up to his room.)

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - I don't have a lot of time so, let me grab the wallet and roll.

(SEAN grabs his key, opens his door and sees his father sitting in his room at his desk.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad!

MR. JACKSON - Sean.

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - Oh shoot!

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad, what are you doing here? I didn't get a message that you were coming in town.

MR. JACKSON - I don't see how you could've Sean. You're never here in your room. I left you several messages.

CENTAUR SEAN - Oh.

(silence)

MR. JACKSON - And why are you coming in so late? And what is that around your neck?

(SEAN remembers that he is wearing his Iota Phi Theta pledge gear.)

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - Oh shoot!

CENTAUR SEAN - Uh...dad...I um started line. I am pledging Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.

(silence)

(MR. JACKSON stands up and grabs his hat and coat, and prepares to walk out.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad, wait a minute!

(MR. JACKSON stops but doesn't say anything.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad, please. Sit back down.

(SEAN's father slowly puts his hat and coat down, and sits down.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad, why did you give me your permission to pursue another fraternity if you were gonna sulk about it for the rest of your life?

MR. JACKSON - I had to let you do it. I don't have to like it.

CENTAUR SEAN - But Dad, this is a dream of mine now. It is a passion of mine. I have always wanted to make my own mark. Do my own thing. You've known that since I was a kid.

MR. JACKSON - So what?

CENTAUR SEAN - So what? So, that is what this fraternity is about. We are making our tradition...not resting upon one that has already been around. We didn't even have a colony here at Ahpla. I will be written in Iota history as the charter line for this campus. Everyone who ever pledges Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., here at Ahpla will know and thank me for what I am doing now.

MR. JACKSON - And that means a lot to you?

(SEAN just stares at his father.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad...

(SEAN takes his Centaur necklace from around his neck and places it on his desk.)

CENTAUR SEAN - ...let me not talk to you as pledgee to fraternity member. Let me not even speak to you as son to father, or Sean to Mr. Jackson...

(SEAN pauses as he sits on the bed facing his father.)

SEAN - ...let me talk to you man-to-man.

(SEAN looks his father dead in the eye.)

SEAN - Look me in my eyes. Right in my face. Remember the little boy that you raised? Can you still see his face in mine? Seriously.

MR. JACKSON - Sean, this is silly.

SEAN - I'm serious. Look in my face and tell me if you still see that little boy that you raised up.

MR. JACKSON - Well, take away the facial hair maybe.

SEAN - Take away the facial hair, huh? Or with the facial hair?

MR. JACKSON - No, I don't see the little boy.

SEAN - You see me as I am now; I am a man. I am not a little boy anymore. As a boy, I have always had great respect for you. Sometimes out of fear, and sometimes out of admiration. I have respected you as a father, as a mentor, and as a dad. But I think I have most respected you as a man -- a strong Black man.

(SEAN pauses.)

SEAN - So, why can't you give me the same respect?

(The telephone rings.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Oh shoot!

(CENTAUR SEAN glances at his watch.)

CENTAUR SEAN thinks - I totally lost track of time!

(He answers.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Hello?

CENTAUR COLIN - Hello, Line brother. I just wanted to see if you had made progress with your shopping list. We don't have much time and your cell phone did not answer.

CENTAUR SEAN - Oh, I am sorry doctor. My battery must be dead. But I am on my way to get everything done and I will meet you at the designated place at the designated time.

CENTAUR COLIN - Good!

CENTAUR SEAN - It's a new tradition sir.

CENTAUR COLIN - A new tradition indeed!

(They hang up. SEAN immediately grabs his Centaur necklace and puts it back around his neck.)

CENTAUR SEAN - Dad, I gotta go. You are more than welcome to stay here. I actually hope you will. I should be back later...well, I hope...I guess. But the remote is right there for the TV and the phone is here. You can log on as well if you want.

(silence)

CENTAUR SEAN - I'll see ya later, Dad.

(CENTAUR SEAN turns to leave.)

MR. JACKSON - Sean.

(CENTAUR SEAN turns around.)

MR. JACKSON - A word of advice. Never turn your back on any fraternity
member, especially your own big brothers of Iota. Always ask permission to leave the room, and be humble about it. And one more thing...

(MR. JACKSON smiles.)

MR. JACKSON - ...give me a greeting or something so you can be on your way.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The Deltas have invited the brothers of Omega Psi Phi and the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha to meet BREANNA and THERESA, their pledgees. PYRAMID THERESA gave the brothers of Omega -- Dre, Ty and Dexter -- a great greeting, but couldn't do one for the brothers of Alpha after seeing WILLIE sitting on JASON's lap.

LARRY - Ha ha ha ha, man, did you hear that sorry greeting they gave us? What's up with that man?

JASON - Dude, I have no idea!

LARRY - Willie, what's up with your girls? Ha ha ha ha!

WILLIE - They'll get their act together. They just started ya know. They did a good job for the Ques.

LARRY - Yeah, Christian was saying! No fair! No fair!

(LARRY turns to DEXTER.)

LARRY - Hey man, how was the greeting that the Pyramids did for y?all?

(DEXTER doesn't answer.)

LARRY - Earth to Dexter! Come in Dexter!

DEXTER - Huh? Oh...uh...what'd ya say man?

LARRY - Where's your head at man? You still here with us?

DEXTER - Uh yeah, I'm cool.

DEXTER thinks - Dag! I know it's obvious!

LARRY - Was the greeting that y'all got tight?

(DRE jumps in.)

DRE - It was good, but weird. Only one of the Pyramids knew it. I guess the other one didn't remember it yet. Right Dex?

(DEXTER doesn't answer.)

DRE - Right Dex? That other Pyramid didn't say anything, did she?

DEXTER - Huh? Oh, uh, yeah, she didn't say anything.

DEXTER thinks - I cannot believe this!

DRE - Hey Robin, how you gonna have one Pyramid tight and then the oth...

DEXTER thinks - I can't believe Willie is sitting on his lap...right in front of me!

(DEXTER looks at WILLIE and JASON's fingers, which are intertwined.)

DEXTER thinks - Why do I keep thinking I am over her? Why do I keep thinking she isn't over me?

(WILLIE looks DEXTER's way. He quickly alters his glance and looks out the window.)

DEXTER thinks - This, so, isn't cool. It so isn't cool to feel this way! But you know what...whatever man! Whatever! I'm just gonna?

DRE - Dex! You know what I'm sayin' right?

DEXTER - Huh? Oh...yeah, dog. I hear what you're saying! Ha ha ha...

DRE - See! I told you!

LARRY - Naw, man! I'm sayin! First y?all need to...

DEXTER thinks - I wouldn't let no chick sit on my lap in front of Willie. I know it would bother her and I have more respect for her than that. But that's cool. It's all good. . .It's all good.

(JASON whispers something into WILLIE's ear and she giggles.)

DEXTER - Man, forget this!

(DEXTER gets up and walks to the kitchen. He passes by the Pyramids.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Is there something we can do for you, Big Brother of Omega Ps...

DEXTER - Shut up.

(DEXTER opens the fridge and looks for something to drink. All they have is water.)

DEXTER - Chris, y'all ain't got no juice up in here? Dag!

CHRISTIAN - Stop complainin'. Send one of the Pyramids out for some if you want.

DEXTER - Naw. Never mind!

DEXTER thinks - Dag!

(DEXTER closes the refrigerator and leans with his back against it.)

DEXTER thinks - Well, I guess it's official. Willie has moved on. So be it!

(DEXTER turns to walk back into the other room where everyone else is...except the Pyramids who are still getting a greeting together for the Alpha brothers.)

DEXTER thinks - Man, whatever! So be it!

(DEXTER looks at WILLIE and JASON again.)

DEXTER thinks - But you know what...two can definitely play at this game!

DEXTER - Chris, are the Pyramids ready with the new greeting yet? Sheesh, what's taking so long?

LARRY - Why do you care? They did a tight one for Omega.

ROBIN - Yeah, why do you care?

DEXTER - I'm just concerned for my dear Alpha friends who haven't gotten their proper greeting yet! Ha ha ha ha!

LARRY - Yeah, right! I bet!

DEXTER - No, seriously, man, I want y'all to get a good one...as a matter of fact...Hey Christian.

CHRISTIAN - Yeah, wassup?

DEXTER - Bring out the Pyramids! They should be done rehearsing by now!

CHRISTIAN - Okay, here they come.

(PYRAMID BREANNA and PYRAMID THERESA walk back out, prepared to greet the brothers of Alpha.)

CHRISTIAN - Okay, y'all, ready this time?

(PYRAMID THERESA smiles.)

DEXTER - Of course they're ready! Aren't you baby! Do your thing sweetie!

(CHRISTIAN turns to DEXTER.)

CHRISTIAN - Baby? What are you talkin' about Dexter?

DEXTER - Oh, you didn't know?

(DEXTER glances at WILLIE and JASON.)

DEXTER - You didn't know that Theresa and I are going together?
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

AURORA ALEXIS is in the bathroom. She was just spoken to by PAULA, Big Sister Gamma Ramma.

(PAULA turns, unlocks the bathroom door, walks out and closes it as she leaves. ALEXIS drops her head and sighs. She then quickly reaches into her pocket and pulls out her cell phone.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Answer! Answer!

(BOBBY's cell phone rings.)

BOBBY - Oh, hold on a second.

JENNA - Sure.

(BOBBY looks at his cell phone and recognizes ALEXIS' phone number.)

BOBBY thinks - Oh, heck no!

(BOBBY doesn't answer.)

JENNA - You don't want to answer that?

BOBBY - Naw. Frat business, but I can tend to that later. For right now, I'm enjoying my time with my new friend Jenna.

(JENNA smiles. ALEXIS frowns.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Dag!

(She hangs up and dials again.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Come on baby...answer!

(It rings for the third time.)

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Shoot!

(She glances at the bathroom door to see if any of her big sisters are coming. She then looks at her watch.)

AURORA ALEXIS - Come on!

QUINTON - Hello?

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Quinton!

(silence)

QUINTON - Alexis?

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Yes, it's me!

(silence)

QUINTON - Are you okay?

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - I need to talk to you, and I only have 60 seconds!

QUINTON - Okay.

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Quinton, line has started for me! I don't have a lot of time, but I need you!

QUINTON - You need me? What do you need? Some money? Some food? How much you need?

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - No, no, I don't need that!

QUINTON - Well, what do you need?

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - I need you back in my life! I made a big mistake letting you go Quinton and I am sorry that I hurt you...please forgive me. I need you; now more than ever!

QUINTON - What makes you so sure Alexis? I mean, you were just telling me that you weren't over...Bobby yet and that you...

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Don't worry about that. I have done a lot of soul searching and realized a few things about myself and about my own heart. I know what is best for me now and I know that you are it.

QUINTON - Alexis, you can't turn feelings off and on like that. It doesn't work that way. The fact of the matter is, you still had feelings for Bobby when you and I hooked up. You should've addressed that then, but you didn't. So, now you got me dragged into this and I am heartbroken now. So, the big loser is me.

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Oh, no, baby...I don't want you to feel that way. I want you to believe me. Believe what I am saying. I made a big mistake and I am sorry for that. I want you back totally and completely.

QUINTON - Yeah, you say that now. But what happens the next time we go out and you see Bobby somewhere? Or if you want to hang with your new sorors, and Bobby is out with Paula? What then?

(silence)

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Don't you still love me, Quinton?

(QUINTON thinks about his answer.)

QUINTON - That's my exact problem. I love you, too much. I love you so much that I am dying and I don't know if I can die again. I just don't know if I can handle it.

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Oh God!

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - Quinton...baby...I love y...oh gosh! My big sisters are calling me! I have to go!

QUINTON - No wait! Alexis please...

AURORA ALEXIS whispers - I have to go! I have to go!

QUINTON - Alexis, baby!

(AURORA ALEXIS hangs up just as PAULA opens the bathroom door.)

PAULA - Get out here.

AURORA ALEXIS - Coming right out, Big Sister Gamma Ramma!

PAULA - What the heck took you so long!

(AURORA ALEXIS comes out of the bathroom and turns the corner to enter the living room. PAULA whispers in her ear as she walks by.)

PAULA - You are about to learn your first lesson: How to approach other Greeks. And you need to learn real quick!

AURORA ALEXIS thinks - Other Greeks?

(AURORA ALEXIS looks into the living room at the Kappa, who is sitting on the couch.)

ROSALIND - This is our Aurora, Alexis. Aurora, meet Kaptain Kwestion.

AURORA ALEXIS - Greetings Kaptain Kwestion!

(MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - And greetings to you, too, Aurora Alexis. It is truly a...pleasure...to make your acquaintance!

No comments: