Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 53

BRANDON is at home talking with his brother BRENDON, and mentions his girlfriend, which is confusing to BRENDON.

BRANDON - Aw man, I feel good. Real good.

BRENDON - I'm sure you do, bruh.

BRANDON - I mean, this is everything I have ever dreamed of! Having Phi Beta Sigma...hooking back up with my brother...

(BRANDON and BRENDON slap high-fives with each other.)

BRANDON - ...and gettin' mad love from my girl! What could be better than this?

(BRENDON looks at BRANDON confused.)

BRENDON - Wait, gettin' mad love from who?

BRANDON - Getting mad love from my...

(There is a knock on the door.)

BRANDON - Oh, hold on bruh. Let me get the door.

BRENDON - But, getting mad love from who?

(BRANDON gets up and walks to the door. He opens it.)

MIRI - Blue Phi!

BRANDON - You know!

MIRI - Blue, blue, blue, blue phi!

BRANDON - You, you, you, you know!

(BRANDON and MIRI hug and MIRI comes in.)

MIRI - What's up, Sands!

BRANDON - Hey blue, what's the deal, playa?

MIRI - I was just hanging with Gina and she had to go to the library. So I thought I'd stop by here in the meantime.

BRANDON - Cool!

MIRI - Hey Brendon, what's up playa?

BRENDON - Oh, what's up Miri, man! Congratulations!

MIRI - Thanks man, but aren't congratulations in order for you, too? The big K-A-Psi man, right?

(BRANDON tries to motion to MIRI.)

MIRI - Congratulations to you, too, man!

(MIRI smiles.)

BRENDON - Uh...no man. I didn't pledge Kappa this semester. I didn't...make line.

MIRI - Oh.

(silence)

MIRI - My bad, man.

BRENDON - It's okay.

(silence)

MIRI - So...Bran. What you doin', dude? What's goin' on?

BRANDON - Aw, man, just happy to be home. I gotta start redecorating my room right away! Ha ha ha ha! This place needs a lot more blue!

MIRI - Yes, it does! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

BRENDON - Um...I'm just gonna let you guys...

MIRI - Did you see the paddle that Big Brother White Lightning gave me? It's phat!

BRANDON - It is? I didn't see it!

MIRI - Bruh, it has all of our names on it! The whole line! All of Blue
Phive!

BRANDON - What? You should hang it over here!

BRENDON - ...yeah...I'll just be in my room...Brandon...

MIRI - Man, please! That paddle is mine and is gonna hang on my wall! And don't be comin' over and tryin' to take my stuff either!

BRANDON - Oh, never that, sands! Just let me borrow your room key for a minute! Ha ha ha ha!

MIRI - Yeah right! Ha ha ha ha ha!

BRENDON - ...yeah...if you need me...I'll be...

BRANDON - Hey Miri, remember that one time when...

(BRENDON stares at BRANDON and MIRI.)

BRENDON thinks - Yeah...I'll just stay in my room -- by myself.

(BRENDON slowly turns and enters his room.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

CHARMAINE knocks on JUNE's door.

(JUNE opens the door.)

JUNE - Uh...hi.

CHARMAINE - Hi June. My name is Charmaine. I wanted to know if I could talk to you for a few minutes.

JUNE - Talk to me?

CHARMAINE - Yes, about Alpha Kapp...

JUNE - Shhhh...stop! Come in!

JUNE thinks - Okay, I see discretion is a problem with this chick!

(JUNE lets CHARMAINE in.)

JUNE - What did you say your name was again?

CHARMAINE - Charmaine.

JUNE - Okay, Charmaine. First of all, don't come knocking and then talking all loud out in the hallway about Alpha Kappa Alpha. Okay?

CHARMAINE - Oh gosh, I'm sorry. Okay.

JUNE - Discretion is very important when pursuing a sorority. Keep that in mind.

CHARMAINE - Okay, I will. Sorry.

JUNE - Have a seat.

(CHARMAINE sits down.)

JUNE - Now what can I do for you?

CHARMAINE - Well...

CHARMAINE thinks - I have to be careful with this!

CHARMAINE - ...I am very interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,
Inc. And I wanted to know...uh...what are the first things that someone like me...needs to do?

JUNE - Well, you get all the information that you can on the organization. It's available on the Internet or in any local library. You read up on it, and make sure this is something that you want to commit yourself to.

CHARMAINE - Okay.

JUNE - You attend all the programs that the chapter?s sorors put on. We have a program next week on breast cancer prevention. Make sure you attend that event.

CHARMAINE - Okay.

JUNE - Then, you speak to some of the members here at Ahpla. Let us know of your interest...discretely. Make sure that all the chapter sorors know who you are and know what you're about.

CHARMAINE - As far as the chapter members here at Ahpla, it is important to speak with all current members of the chapter...right?

JUNE - Oh, absolutely.

CHARMAINE - Can you tell me who those members are?

JUNE - Absolutely...not.

CHARMAINE - No?

JUNE - No. You can find that out yourself.

CHARMAINE thinks - Dag!

JUNE - So, I think I've equipped you with an adequate amount of information. You can start your journey now.

(JUNE laughs to herself.)

CHARMAINE - But...

JUNE - So, now if you would excuse me...

CHARMAINE - But...

(JUNE gets up and heads to the door.)

JUNE - ...if you'll excuse me, I want to take a nap.

(JUNE opens the door.)

JUNE thinks - Messin' with girls is so funny!

(silence)

CHARMAINE - June, let me be real with you. I am here because...well...this is about Mona Ferguson.

(JUNE closes the door.)

JUNE thinks - Okay, not funny anymore.

JUNE - What did you say?

CHARMAINE - June, I am sorry I wasn't completely honest with you from the start. But I am really here to try and find out something about Mona Ferguson. Yes, I am very interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha. And after attending the interest meeting, I just got a bad feeli...

JUNE - Wait, wait, wait, after attending what?

CHARMAINE thinks - I knew it!

CHARMAINE - Mona Ferguson had an interest meeting in her room and I was there.

JUNE - Mona had what!?

CHARMAINE - You didn't know about it, did you?

JUNE - Heck no!

CHARMAINE - See, I knew it.

JUNE - Who was there?

CHARMAINE - A few other interested girls and Mona's mother.

JUNE thinks - Oh, God!

CHARMAINE - I got the feeling that Mona wasn't all that she claimed to be. So, I came by here to speak to you and find out for myself.

(JUNE is staring somewhere else...becoming aggravated.)

JUNE - Okay, Charmaine, listen. I am glad you came to me with this information. Now that I am aware of it, I'll handle it.

CHARMAINE - Okay.

JUNE - You stay far away from Mona Ferguson. I'll take care of the rest.

CHARMAINE - Okay. And, as far as my interest in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.?

JUNE - Be at the breast cancer program.

CHARMAINE - I will be there.

JUNE - Alright. Thanks for coming by and telling me this.

CHARMAINE - No problem. I look forward to getting to you know you a little better as well.

JUNE - Sure.

(JUNE gets up and lets CHARMAINE out.)

CHARMAINE - See you at the program.

JUNE - See ya there. Bye.

(JUNE closes the door.)

JUNE thinks - I cannot believe that Mona! She is a mess!

(JUNE picks up her phone and begins to dial PJ.)

JUNE thinks - You know what, let me not call PJ...she may go over to Mona's room and kill her!

(JUNE hangs up and starts to dial SYLVIA instead.)

JUNE thinks - Let me tell the Basileus.

(As JUNE dials SYLVIA, there is a knock on the door.)

JUNE thinks - Now what?

(JUNE hangs up and opens the door.)

JUNE - Uh...hi.

LINDA - Hi, did a girl named Charmaine just come here talking about Mona Ferguson? If so don't believe a word Charmaine says!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

SHARONDA is on the yard and sees MONA. She rushes to tell MONA what happened between her and BRANDON.

(MONA suddenly notices SHARONDA as she is approaching. MONA is on her cell phone. MONA waves.)

MONA - Hey mom, you will never guess who I just ran into and is lookin' better than ever!

MELINDA FERGUSON - Who?

MONA - Remember my ex-boyfriend Miri?

MELINDA FERGUSON - Oh yes, I remember.

MONA - He just pledged and I ran into him. He is looking real cute.

MELINDA FERGUSON - Well, get him back. You know how we Fergusons do.

(MONA laughs as SHARONDA walks up. SHARONDA and MONA hug.)

SHARONDA - Hey, girl.

MONA - What's up Ronda. Here, it's my mother.

SHARONDA - Oh, cool.

(MONA hands SHARONDA the cell phone.)

SHARONDA - Hi Aunt Mel, it's Sharonda!

MELINDA FERGUSON - Hi, Sharonda! How you doin' sweetie?

SHARONDA - Fine.

MELINDA FERGUSON - I was just telling Mona to go ahead and get her ex-boyfriend back.

SHARONDA - Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Who Miri?

(SHARONDA winks at MONA and smiles.)

SHARONDA - Aunt Mel, she just wants him because he's Greek now! Ha ha ha ha!

MONA - Shut up! Ha ha ha ha!

MELINDA FERGUSON - Well, I told her, you know how we Fergusons are! We don't take "no" for an answer and we don't give up easily!

SHARONDA - I know that's right, Auntie! Ha ha ha!

MELINDA FERGUSON - Hee hee, how is your mother, dear?

SHARONDA - Just fine, I just spoke to her yesterday.

MELINDA FERGUSON - Good.

SHARONDA - Alright, Aunt Mel, I'll talk to ya later.

MELINDA FERGUSON - Tell Mona I will talk to her later. I have some work I have to finish up.

SHARONDA - Okay. Bye-bye.

(SHARONDA hangs up and gives the phone back to MONA.)

SHARONDA - So, you want Miri back, huh?

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - He's lookin' kinda fine!

SHARONDA - Yeah, now that he's my frat, huh?

MONA - You know that ain't got nothin' to do with it.

SHARONDA - Yeah right, Mona. I know you better than that, girl!

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - Shut up, Sharonda! Ha ha ha ha! Where you headed?

SHARONDA - Actually I was coming over to talk to you. I got something to tell you. Something happened and I need to get it off my chest.

MONA - Oooh, juicy. Spill it.

(They walk over to a bench and sit down.)

SHARONDA - Okay, you know the twins, Brandon and Brendon?

MONA - From the band?

SHARONDA - Yeah.

MONA - Yeah, what about 'em?

SHARONDA ? Well, Brandon is one of the new Sigmas.

MONA - He is? Cool!

SHARONDA - But, let me tell you. He had the nerve to go off on me the minute after he crossed; after I tried to help him on line!

MONA - He did? Why?

HAYDEN - No, my mind is made up. We're just not going to cross Brandon. He just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a Sigma man.

SHARONDA - Hayden, I'm telling you that he has what it takes. I know he does.

HAYDEN - No. He is too much of a risk. Plus, with him being in the hospital and losing his memory...it's too risky.

SHARONDA - Look. Give me one week to work with him. If I can't get him turned around in a week, then let him go. But at least give me a chance. I know he can cut it; he just needs someone to help him pull it out of himself.

(HAYDEN thinks.)

SHARONDA - Come on, frat.

HAYDEN - Okay, fine. You have four days.

SHARONDA - Four days? I asked for a week.

HAYDEN - Four days.

(HAYDEN turns to leave.)

SHARONDA - Dag! Okay, four days it is.

MONA - Uh, huh. So, then what happened?

SHARONDA - Well, I trained him and worked with him for four days like Hayden told me to. But the more I worked with him on a one-on-one setting, the more I realized that Hayden was right. He wasn't ready to be frat. He's too young -- too young in the mind. He was not ready by a long shot.

MONA - Dag! So, what happened next?

No comments: