Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 2

Scene 1

HAYDEN has read MIRI's manuscript which was given to him by MONA. It paints a bad picture of fraternity and sorority members. HAYDEN is not pleased.

(HAYDEN picks up his cell phone and calls CURT.)

CURT -- Hello.

HAYDEN -- Curt this is Hayden. Remove Miri from our line and send him home. The only Ahpla student we are going to pledge is Brandon.

CURT -- What? Why?

HAYDEN -- You know that Miri is a writer, right?

CURT -- Yeah.

HAYDEN -- He wrote a play about Greek life and slavery ,and he dissed Phi Beta Sigma all up in the piece!

CURT -- What?

HAYDEN -- Yeah, I am reading it now and he made the frat look real bad!

CURT -- But why did he do it? Especially if he wants to be a member?

HAYDEN -- I think he is trying to find out frat secrets. You know, get the inside scoop and then turn it around on us. That sh*t is foul.

CURT -- Say no more! Are you coming back to the frat house?

HAYDEN -- I am on my way now.

CURT -- I will see you when you get here. I will take care of Miri in the mean time.

HAYDEN -- Alright blue. Peace.

CURT -- Later.

(They hang up.)

CURT thinks -- Ain't this a mess!

(CURT walks into the room where the Sigmas are in the faces of the CRESCENTS talking to them.)

CURT -- Guys, back up a second. I need to talk to these boys.

(Everyone gets quiet.)

CURT -- Pledgees!

CRESCENTS -- Yes, dean of pledgees!

CURT -- It has come to my attention that one of you has certain ... feelings about this organization. Feelings that are not admirable.

COREY -- Who is the weakest link! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(All of the Sigmas laugh, except for CURT.)

CURT -- I am serious, this is no joke.

COREY -- My bad. Continue.

CURT -- Like I was saying, this is a serious situation. One of you guys has feelings toward the organization that do not represent the feelings of brotherhood that we all share. And that person knows who he is. So we are not gonna prolong this or make a scene. When I call your name, you can just leave out the back door. We thank you for your interest and your time, but you may be on your way.

(silence)

CRESCENT AHMAD thinks -- This must be some kind of a joke! I hope it isn't me!

CRESCENT BRANDON thinks -- I wonder who it is? It must be one of the Amgis guys.

CRESCENT CALVIN thinks -- What the hell is going on? Somebody is getting kicked off line? Who?

CRESCENT SETH thinks -- Please God, don't let it be me! Don't let it be me!

CRESCENT DALE thinks -- It must be Miri for the way that he feels about Calvin!

CRESCENT MIRI thinks -- I hope it is the White boy!

CURT -- Miri, step forward please.

(All the CRESCENTS and big brothers look at MIRI, who is looking shocked. MIRI doesn't move.)

CURT -- Miri, move forward!

(BRANDON looks at MIRI in despair but doesn't say anything. MIRI steps out.)

CURT -- Thanks for your time, bruh, but your opinions and feelings are not what we are looking for. You are free to go back home.

MIRI -- But...but...what did I do?

CURT -- Have a nice day, Miri.

MIRI -- But dean of pledgees, please...why do I have to...I want to be a Sigma man! Please!

BRANDON -- Take me instead!

COREY -- Shut the hell up Brandon! You don't even know what you are asking!

CURT -- Come on, Miri.

(CURT walks MIRI to the back door. Everyone watches them walk out through the kitchen.)

CURT -- We found out how you feel. We have no room for that in this house. Be out. No hard feelings.

MIRI -- But...

(CURT closes the door.)

MIRI thinks -- It is because of Calvin the White boy! I knew it! I am so damn stupid! I shouldn't have said anything! The big brothers must have heard something when we were all talking! Damnit! I am such an idiot!

(MIRI waits and then knocks on the back door.)

MIRI thinks -- If I can just explain to them, maybe they will understand what I was trying to say. Maybe I can fix this mess.

(Nobody comes to the door.)

MIRI thinks -- Damnit! I have to get back in! I want to be a Sigma man with all of my heart! I have never wanted something so bad in my life! In my entire life! Damn I have to fix this situation!

(MIRI sits down on the back steps to think of his next move.)

MIRI thinks -- Maybe if I apologize to Calvin in front of everyone, things will smooth out! Yeah, that's what I need to do!

(A car pulls up the driveway and parks. The car has a Phi Beta Sigma license plate on the front. There are two guys in the car, one White and one Black.)

MIRI thinks -- Oh sh*t!

(The guys step out of the car and walk up toward the house. The guys are not wearing Greek letters. MIRI is staring at the White guy, who speaks.)

JEFF -- Hey man, what is that around your neck?

(MIRI looks down and remembers that he was given a wooden lavalier of a half moon to hang around his neck, right before HAYDEN left the house.)

JEFF -- Are you on line?

(MIRI stands up.)

MIRI -- Uh...uh...yes, but...

TROY -- You don't know how to respond when you see two big brothers walk up?



As The Sands Burn -- Nov. 5 - 9
Darrius Gourdine, Special to BET.com



Scene 2

MIKE and TY are sitting in the reading lounge of the Callis Student Union.

MIKE -- I can just feel it in the air man, ya know?

TY -- Definitely. I know something is about to happen. I can just tell. Everyone is acting weird and the last time people were acting like this, a line started.

MIKE -- That's what I'm saying. What have you noticed?

TY -- Well, first, the Omegas are hard to catch up with all of a sudden. I try and call and talk to them and I can't ever catch any of them.

MIKE -- Me too! That is how it has been with Gregg and Xavier. Me and Brendon can't catch up with them brothers either!

TY -- Speaking of Brendon...

(BRENDON walks up and plops down in a chair beside MIKE and TY.)

BRENDON -- What's up, fellas?

TY -- What's up?

MIKE -- Hey man. You look beat. We were just talking about you. What's up?

BRENDON -- I have been up pretty late. Brandon hasn't been home and I haven't heard from him. Got me kinda worried. I couldn't sleep.

(silence)

MIKE -- Awwwwwwwww, that's so sweet.

(MIKE and TY laugh.)

BRENDON -- Shut up! You don't know what it's like being a twin.

TY -- I hear ya man. Where is he? He started pledging Sigma right?

BRENDON -- I guess so. He dashed out and I haven't heard much since. I tried to ask Denice but she won't tell me sh*t.

MIKE -- Yeah, we were just saying how the Greeks on campus are all acting weird now. We think it means that lines are about to start.

BRENDON -- Word?

TY -- Yeah.

BRENDON -- Well, I hope so. Let's get this thing over with already, sh*t!

MIKE -- Oh you ready to pledge?

BRENDON -- Bring it on!

(They all laugh.)

TY -- Man whatever. I just hope I made a good enough impression on the brothers. I was saying some stupid sh*t before so they may not like me.

MIKE -- Oh yeah? Like what? What did you say?

TY -- You don't want to know. But I changed my story real quick.

MIKE -- I do want to know. It may help me if I know what not to say to the Kappas.

TY -- Well, basically, I was telling them that the reason I wanted to pledge was for the ladies. For the recognition that I would get on campus if I came out with some letters on.

MIKE -- Yeah that is stupid.

TY -- Well it isn't stupid to feel that way, it's just stupid to admit it to them.

BRENDON -- True, true.

MIKE -- What made you change your story?

TY -- The Deltas had that program with that girl from "Survivor."

BRENDON -- Oh yeah, what was her name?

TY -- Ramona Gray. I'll never forget that. She was deep and it made me think about a lot of stuff. So I re-evaluated why I want to be an Omega and I did some reading. I learned more in the next two days then I knew in all the time I have been saying I wanted to be a Que, which is almost all my life.

MIKE -- Wow.

BRENDON -- Well at least we all know what it is we want to be. Unlike some people.

TY -- Huh? Who are you talking about?

(BRENDON nods his head to the right and MIKE and TY look. SEAN has just entered the lounge and has taken a seat.)

MIKE -- Yo, what's up with that dude?

BRENDON -- All I know is he told me that he wanted to be a Kappa, and he also told my brother that he wants to be a Sigma.

TY -- Really? Oh sh*t!

MIKE -- I wonder if he was just messing with you.

BRENDON -- Well, you know what? Let's find out.

TY -- How?

BRENDON -- Watch this.

(BRENDON stands up and motions to SEAN.)

BRENDON -- Hey Sean, come on over bruh. Let me holla at you for a second.

As The Sands Burn -- Nov. 5 - 9
Darrius Gourdine, Special to BET.com
Scene 3

WILLIE, CHRISTIAN and ROBIN drive up and park at ALEX and STACIE's house.

WILLIE -- Girl, I have no earthly idea what's going on. But I really hope it isn't a situation where we have to take Bree off line. I really like her.

CHRISTIAN -- Me too.

WILLIE -- And plus, line just started. That would mess with her mind.

CHRISTIAN -- Yeah.

ROBIN -- Looks like the lights are on. I was hoping it wasn't too late to come over.

WILLIE -- You know Stacie be staying up all kind of hours.

ROBIN -- True.

(They get out of the car and walk toward the house.)

WILLIE -- The thing that is surprising me is that Stacie is so cool. Her tone was so different than any I have ever heard from her.

ROBIN -- Yeah, that's true. Even when she is pledging people, she is still real nice.

WILLIE -- Her voice alone really alarmed me. But then when I heard what she said...whew!

(They ring the door bell.)

WILLIE -- Well, let's get to the bottom of this.

CHRISTIAN -- I hope so.

(No one answers so they knock on the door and ring the bell again.)

WILLIE -- You think maybe she is sleeping?

ROBIN -- I thought I saw someone moving in the living room when we drove up.

CHRISTIAN -- Wait, I think I hear something. Shhhhh.

(They lean toward the door and hear voices seemingly arguing.)

WILLIE -- I did hear something!

(WILLIE grabs the door handle and turns the knob. The door opens. They look at one another and peek in.)

WILLIE -- Hello?

(ROBIN slightly pushes the door and it slowly swings open. The three peek in and see STACIE, who has her back turned to them and is in a heated discussion with someone.)

ROBIN -- Stacie? Is everything okay?

(STACIE turns around and she has tears in her eyes. As she turns, they see that she is talking with BREANNA.)

ROBIN -- What the hell...?

WILLIE -- Breanna? What are you doing here?

(WILLIE, CHRISTIAN and ROBIN walk in.)

STACIE -- I'll tell you what she's doing here! This little...little ho' slept with Alex!

WILLIE -- What!

CHRISTIAN -- Oh my God!

BREANNA -- But big sister, I didn't know he was married!

STACIE -- Yeah right!

BREANNA -- Stacie I didn't know, I swear!

(STACIE turns to face WILLIE, ROBIN and CHRISTIAN.)

STACIE -- Let me tell you what she says happened!

(ALEX gently lays BREANNA back onto the couch and continues to kiss her neck. He begins to pull at her shirt, which she quickly helps him take off of her. He then goes for her pants.)

BREANNA thinks -- Oh my God I cannot believe this is...oh yes!

CHRISTIAN -- Oh my God!

(STACIE starts to hyperventilate again. She bends over holding her chest.)

WILLIE -- Stacie! Are you okay?

(The three rush over to STACIE who is extremely angry and upset. She is breathing very fast as if she is having an asthma attack.)

WILLIE -- Stacie! Stacie!

CHRISTIAN -- I can't believe this! Call a doctor!

(BREANNA rushes and picks up the phone.)

STACIE breathing -- I'm fine! I just want her out of my house!

WILLIE -- Stacie, sit down over here. Calm down! Let's see if we can get to the...

STACIE -- I want her out of my house!

(ROBIN and WILLIE are helping STACIE stand up straight and they look at each other, questioning what to do.)

CHRISTIAN -- Okay, I will get Breanna to leave. Y'all just take care of Stacie.

WILLIE -- Okay.

(CHRISTIAN walks over to BREANNA.)

CHRISTIAN -- Breanna, you'd better go.

BREANNA -- But big sister, I didn't...

CHRISTIAN -- Look, we can get to the bottom of this later. For now, it is better for you to go.

(BREANNA looks down and turns to leave. CHRISTIAN walks her to the door.)

STACIE -- Willie, get me a glass of water. And Robin, go into the kitchen cabinet and grab my medication.

ROBIN -- Sure, Stacie.

WILLIE -- No problem.

(They both rush into the kitchen.)

BREANNA -- Big sister, is it okay if I call you?

CHRISTIAN -- Let me call you instead, Breanna.

BREANNA -- Okay.

(CHRISTIAN closes the door and returns to where STACIE was sitting. WILLIE comes in with water and ROBIN with a jar of pills.)

WILLIE -- Where did Stacie go?

CHRISTIAN -- I don't know, I just walked Breanna to the door. She was with you guys when I left.

ROBIN -- We just went to the kitchen to get her some water and her medication. She was just sitting right here. Where could she have gone?

(ALEX hears something.)

ALEX thinks -- Finally!

ALEX -- Stacie? Stace?

(ALEX opens the shower curtain. There is nobody there.)

ALEX thinks -- I thought I heard...

(The bathroom door opens.)

ALEX -- Wait!

(BANG)

WILLIE -- Oh my God! What was that?

ROBIN -- That sounded like a gun shot! It came from upstairs! Come on!

(WILLIE, ROBIN and CHRISTIAN rush up the stairs. They see STACIE pointing a gun into the bathroom.)

ALEX -- Stacie what the hell are you doing!

STACIE -- If you can't keep your thing in your pants, maybe I oughta blow it off for ya!

(BANG)

(STACIE shoots past ALEX's head and shatters the medicine cabinet behind him. ALEX ducks.)

ALEX -- Are you crazy! What are you doing? What are you talking about!

STACIE -- You cheated on me with Breanna didn't you! Didn't you!

ALEX -- Huh...wha...I uh I...

(BANG)

(ALEX ducks again as STACIE shoots and shatters the bathroom window. ALEX screams.)

ALEX -- Stacie, I'm sorry! Stop shooting!

STACIE -- Get the hell out!

ALEX -- But...

STACIE -- Get out now!

ALEX -- Okay okay! Let me just grab my clothe...

STACIE -- Now!

(STACIE points the gun directly at ALEX. He grabs his towel around his waist and runs out of the bathroom. He runs past WILLIE, ROBIN and CHRISTIAN, who are looking shocked.)

ROBIN -- Oh my God!

(ALEX runs out the front door with no more on than his towel around his waist.)

No comments: