Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 7

JEFF ISMAN, a member of Phi Beta Sigma, is speaking to MIRI on the back steps of the Sigma house at Amgis College. JEFF is the first White member of any fraternity that MIRI has ever met.

JEFF - So Miri, it sounds to me like you need a little Phi Beta Sigma history lesson.

(MIRI nods, still looking away ashamed.)

JEFF ? All right man. I hope you can remember things quickly, because this is a long story and I ain?t gonna tell you twice. So listen up.

(MIRI picks his head up and looks directly at JEFF.)

JEFF - I pledged Phi Beta Sigma at Alpha Beta Gamma chapter. Not only was I the only White person on line, I was the only person on line.

MIRI - You pledged by yourself?

JEFF - Yep.

MIRI - Wow. I couldn't imagine. I would die from fear alone.

(JEFF laughs.)

JEFF - I wasn't afraid. I had a goal...I had a mission. I wanted to do it, I did it.

MIRI - Were you concerned...or more so, were the big brothers concerned about your race?

JEFF - This fraternity is about brotherhood. Inclusiveness and not excluding brothers. That is what I saw in the members of the fraternity that made me want to pledge in the first place.

MIRI - How have your encounters been since you have been a member though?

JEFF - It's been all good. If people have had things to say, they haven't said it to me. So it's been all good.

MIRI - That is awesome.

JEFF - Brotherhood first Miri. Always remember that. Brotherhood first.

MIRI - Brotherhood first.

JEFF - So now let me ask you. What do you feel about...uh...what's his name?

MIRI - Calvin?

JEFF - Yeah, Calvin the Crescent.

(JEFF laughs.)

MIRI - Well, the only thing that I had against him was the fact that I was uneducated about members of the fraternity that are not African American.

JEFF - So you don't dislike him as a person.

MIRI - No. I don't even know him.

JEFF - And you are not just saying that because you want to get back on line?

MIRI - Oh no. I am very serious. I really have nothing against him. I was just uneducated and I am ashamed that I was.

(silence)

JEFF - Stand up.

(MIRI quickly gets on his feet.)

JEFF - Put your blindfold on and follow me.

(MIRI does as he is told. JEFF leads MIRI into a small garage that is behind the Sigma house.)

JEFF - Wait right here and don't take that blindfold off until you hear me say to.

MIRI - Yes big brother.

(MIRI waits.)

MIRI thinks - What is going to happen next?

(MIRI hears the noise of a person coming in. He assumes it is JEFF since he heard JEFF leave.)

JEFF - Take your blindfold off!

(MIRI takes his blindfold off and adjusts his eyes to the dim light of the garage. He notices that he is standing directly in front of CALVIN who also just took off his blindfold. Then they hear a door close behind MIRI. JEFF has left them alone.)

JEFF thinks - They're gonna have to talk this one out. Ha ha ha!

(JEFF walks into the back entrance to the house that leads into the kitchen. He then enters the room where the other Sigmas, the Zetas and the Crescents are.)

CURT - What's up Jeff?

JEFF - Hey Curt. How you feelin' man?

CURT - Good man. I can't complain...well actually I can. These Crescents are getting on my nerves!

HAYDEN - Speaking of which, where did you take Crescent Calvin?

JEFF - Oh, I led him out to the garage so he could talk to Crescent Miri about this race issue nonsense. I think I got Miri's head on straight now and I think they should talk it out and squash it.

HAYDEN - What race issue?

JEFF - You know, how Miri tried to put Calvin in his place because he is White.

HAYDEN - He did?

(silence)

JEFF - Okay I am getting confused. If you didn't know that...then why did you kick Miri off line?

HAYDEN - We kicked Miri off line because of the manuscript that we got from this AKA named Mona from Ahpla.

(SALEEMA gets off the couch. She has been listening to JEFF and HAYDEN.)

SALEEMA - Mona? Are you talking about Mona Ferguson?

HAYDEN - I don't remember her last name, but I guess so. She is an AKA from Ahpla?

SALEEMA - She ain't no real AKA and she is shady! I wouldn't believe anything that she had to say about anybody! I guarantee that what she is saying about Miri is some kind of trick!


:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 2

The Deltas are meeting and STACIE has just come in. They are about to discuss STACIE's views on BREANNA's quest for membership into Delta Sigma Theta.


STACIE - Hello ladies.

WILLIE - Hello Stacie.

ROBIN - Speak of the devil.

CHRISTIAN - Yeah, hey soror. We were just talking about you.

STACIE - Obviously. I'm not surprised that I am the topic of conversation. What's going on?

(silence)

WILLIE - Well, here is the situation. Basically, it is an ugly one. You are our advisor and we love you to death Stacie. You know that.

ROBIN - Yeah, we really do.

WILLIE - I mean, you have been there for all of us. You saw all of us come through into Delta and you have bailed us out of a lot of jams. None of us can even begin to imagine what you are going through with this whole situation.

STACIE - Thank you. I am prayerful and faithful. But it is trying.

WILLIE - Our issue is this. Line had begun. Well, almost begun.

STACIE - Line began? I didn't know that.

WILLIE - Well that is one of those things that we seem to forget to tell you many times and then you find out, get mad at us, and then bail us out when we mess up. You know, typical chapter advisor love.

STACIE - I had no idea the line started.

WILLIE - Of course we were going to tell you. But not yet, maybe in another two weeks if we could have kept it that long from you.

ROBIN - But the point is, we chose Breanna. All of us liked her enough to vote her on line. But none of us knew what was going on in her personal life.

WILLIE - So now Stacie, we are at a crossroads.

CHRISTIAN - See, we really don't know if Breanna was telling the truth when she was saying that Ale...I mean your hus...I mean...

STACIE - You all are trying to figure out if she knew that Alex was married. Because if she didn't know then it really is not her fault but if she did, then it is.

WILLIE - Right.

CHRISTIAN - Exactly.

(silence)

STACIE - She didn't know.

(WILLIE, CHRISTIAN and, ROBIN look at each other with puzzled looks on their faces.)

STACIE - I know she didn't know that Alex is my husband. I can tell by the look on her face. By the look in her eye. She was telling the truth. It was Alex who was doing all the lying. He lied to me, he lied to her, he basically even lied to my...our childr...

(STACIE stops, takes a breath and continues.)

STACIE - Breanna was telling the truth.

CHRISTIAN - So are you willing to allow us to bring her into the chapter?

WILLIE - I think we need to first check her out. This must have taken a

tremendous toll on her as well. We need to do that before we even decide again to go through with anything.

ROBIN - But even before that, what do you think Stacie?

(silence)

STACIE - Ladies here is the deal. This is how I feel about it.

(All eyes focus on STACIE.)

STACIE - I have thought and rethought and rethought this thing over a thousand times. I have not slept since I found out. I must look terrible. A million questions are flying around my head and I have no answers.

(She pauses.)

STACIE - Sorors, I am going through a tremendous amount of pain right now. A pain that I didn't even know could exist. It is painful to find out that the love of your life is a liar. It is even more painful to act like you're strong for your children when you know that you are not.

WILLIE - Stacie, you are strong. You are.

(STACIE strains a smile, then continues.)

STACIE - I have to be level-headed about this situation. Because if I don't, my head will literally explode and I will die. I can't waste any energy on hate or revenge. I know that Breanna didn't know. What happened was not her fault. I know that a lot of women would not care about that bit of information and take it out on her regardless. But it is time that we place the blame where it belongs and stop fighting each other when we are on the same side of the battle.

(She looks away to calm herself.)

STACIE - This is equally difficult for me because as much as I know that Breanna didn't know and none of this is really her fault, I can't look at her. When I look at her now, I see what happened. If I see her smile, I think that it is Alex making her laugh. I can't see her. I cannot bring her into Delta.

CHRISTIAN thinks - Oh God.

WILLIE - Stacie, you are our soror and we truly understand and are willing to...

STACIE - Wait, I am not finished.

(WILLIE stops.)

STACIE - I was saying that I cannot bring her into Delta. But I didn't say that you sorors couldn't.

ROBIN - Huh?

(CHRISTIAN looks equally confused.)

WILLIE - How do we do that without you?

(STACIE hesitates as she answers.)

STACIE - I suggest you bring in Breanna as planned, provided the necessary check of her mental state proves that she is okay. Bring her in the right way. Subsequently, I hereby resign as chapter advisor and can no longer be involved with the activities of the chapter here at Ahpla.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

TY has been called to the Que house, a few blocks from Ahpla's campus. He knows that all the Omegas are there; he sees DRE's, RONNIE's, and DEXTER's cars.

Ty thinks - This is it! I know this is it! I know this is it!

(TY looks at his watch and waits to approach the front door.)

TY thinks - I don't want to be too early...but then I can't be late!

(He comes from behind the tree that he was waiting behind and begins to walk toward the house.)

TY thinks - I have worked hard for this day, this moment! I don't know what is in store for me...but whatever it is, it is my first step on my path to Omega Psi Phi...and I am ready.

(TY quickly thinks back to the way he used to think.)

RONNIE - Why do you want to be an Omega?

TY - For the ladies! Why else?

DEXTER - Why do you want to pledge?

TY - So I can get some respect on the yard! You know how it is!

DRE - Why should I want you to be a brother in my fraternity?

TY - Because y?all's colors are tight! Purple and gold are tight together!

(TY stops walking.)

TY thinks - I must have been an idiot! They're never gonna take me! What in the world was I thinking?

(TY takes a deep breath and walks to the front door. He checks his watch and rings the doorbell.)

TY - Whatever happens...happens.

(DRE answers the door.)

DRE - Hey Ty. Come on in.

TY thinks - Wow, that was kinda friendly.

(TY follows DRE into the house. He looks along the walls at the many pictures of Omega men who have either pledged at Ahpla or made national headlines for their contributions in their various fields.)

DRE - Have a seat in here, we will be right in.

TY - Uh...thank you.

(TY sits down and tries to breathe regularly.)

TY thinks - I think I hear them talking in the other room.

(TY tries to listen. He hears them speaking softly. He cannot tell if it is just two of the brothers or all three.)

TY thinks - This anticipation is killing me! I wish something...anything would...

(RONNIE, DEXTER and DRE walk out and sit in the room where TY is. TY tries to suppress his nervous feelings.)

DRE - Ty do you have any idea why you are here?

TY - I really...uh...don't know, I just got a phone call and...

DEXTER - We know that you got a call, we were the ones who called you. But why were you called? Why do you think you are here?

TY - Well I think...or uh...I hope that maybe, well maybe I was selected for lin...I mean membership into Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated. And if I am so fortunate, I would...

RONNIE - Shut up! Ain?t nobody asked you all that!

(TY shuts up.)

DRE - Ty...uh, there is really no easy way to do this.

TY thinks - Huh?

DRE - But, as you know we are very selective with our membership process. Omega prides itself on being so selective.

RONNIE - We just don't take everybody.

TY - I understand that, and that is one of my reasons for my strong interest in Omega Ps...

DRE - We know. We know Ty. The problem is, we really were not interested in having you as a member. Not now at least.

TY thinks - No!

Meanwhile in BRENDON and BRANDON's room...

BRENDON - Hello! Hello!

XAVIER - Brendon this is Xavier. I know Mike is there. Put him on the phone.

BRENDON - Oh...uh...good afternoon Xavier, how are...

XAVIER - Brendon, I do not wish to speak to you. Put Mike on the phone.

(BRENDON forgets that he has his brother BRANDON on the other line...he slowly hands the phone to MIKE.)

MIKE whispers - What? It's for me? Who is it?

(BRENDON covers the receiver as he hands the phone over.)

BRENDON - It's Xavier! He wants to speak to you directly!

(MIKE takes the phone with a confused look on his face.)

MIKE - Hello?

XAVIER - Black dress pants, white shirt, red tie, briefcase, red pen, white paper, red baseball cap. My house. Nineteen hundred and eleven seconds.

MIKE - Okay, let me make sure I got this, I am to have a...

(CLICK)

MIKE - Hello? Hello!

BRENDON - What happened?

MIKE - I have to get black pants, a red tie, a brief case and a hat! And he gave me nineteen hundred and eleven seconds to do it.

BRENDON - Nineteen hundred and eleven seconds? How long is that?

MIKE - I don't know. Do you have a calculator?

BRENDON - Yeah. My watch has one. Did he ask for me to get the stuff too?

MIKE - He didn't say.

BRENDON - That is about...thirty-one minutes.

MIKE ? Thirty-one minutes! Oh God! I gotta go! I'll never make it in time?

(MIKE tosses BRENDON the phone and begins to run out.)

BRENDON - But what about me?

(MIKE stops.)

MIKE - Uh...I'll find out what's up and call you as soon as I know something!

Meanwhile across campus...

SAIFA - You're sure about this? I mean, what about what your father has been saying?

SEAN - I have to do this for me. Nobody else.

SAIFA - Choosing a fraternity is a very important step Sean. One not to be taken lightly.

SEAN - I agree.

SAIFA - You think you have done adequate research?

SEAN - I have done more research than most people. Nobody investigates all five frats nowadays. They just look for what looks cool, or what their father or grandfather did. Or who gets the most girls on the yard. Especially here at Ahpla.

SAIFA - And you took a look at all the frats?

SEAN - All of them. A good look.

(SAIFA stares at SEAN. SEAN doesn't turn away.)

SAIFA - Okay Sean. I believe that you are confident in your decision.

SEAN - Yes I am.

SAIFA - And I think you are ready. Are you ready Sean?

SEAN - Yes.

SAIFA - You don't sound like it. Are you ready Sean?

SEAN - Yes!

SAIFA - You sure!

SEAN - Yes I am ready!

SAIFA - Yes I am ready what?

(silence)

(SAIFA smiles.)

SEAN - Uh...yes I am ready big brother!

And later in TY's room...

(TY is lying across his bed with his face in his pillow. He is crying.)

TY thinks - I am such an idiot! I am a fool! No wonder they don't want me! What am I gonna do now?

(There is a knock on the door. TY's roommate goes to answer it.)

TY thinks - What am I gonna do now?

(Someone enters TY's room and he rolls over to see who it is.)

DRE - You give up too easily. When the brothers told me that I didn't make line, at least I asked them why before I left.

(TY looks shocked.)

DRE - Now get up and come on!

No comments: