Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 67

GREGG and MIKE are in GREGG's room with REGGIE. MIKE starts to get emotional and go overboard with his statements toward REGGIE.

GREGG - Um, I think his name was...um...Quinton.

REGGIE - Oh yeah, Quinton.

(REGGIE sips from his bottle.)

REGGIE - Yeah. Q is a cool dude, man. Real smart, young brother and with a good head on his shoulders. He is a born leader. He'll probably mess around and be chapter president when Bobby is done.

MIKE - Good Lord.

REGGIE - Huh? What you say?

GREGG - Nevermind him. He's just...

(GREGG turns toward MIKE and stresses his next word.)

GREGG - ...stupid!

MIKE - Man, whatever! You need to quit beatin' around the bush and get to it!

REGGIE - What are you talking about dude?

GREGG - Shut up, Mike!

MIKE - No, I'm not gonna shut up! I'm gonna tell you how it is and keep it real!

REGGIE - What's your problem, man?

MIKE - My problem? My problem!

(GREGG stands up and stands in front of where MIKE is sitting.)

GREGG - Mike shut the...

(The door opens and there is a second of silence as everyone focuses on XAVIER walking in with DELL behind him.)

DELL - Hello, Gregg. Mike.

GREGG - Dell, what's up, man. How you doin'? I didn't expect to see you here.

DELL - I thought I'd stop by since I was in the neighborhood. Do you mind?

GREGG - Oh no, of course not. Um...this is my boy Reggie. Reggie, this is my frat brother Dell.

(REGGIE hesitates as he looks at MIKE.)

DELL - Nice to meet you, Reggie.

REGGIE - Hey man, same here.

(They shake hands.)

GREGG - Hey Reg, let me holla at you for a second dude.

REGGIE - Yeah, sure.

(GREGG walks REGGIE toward the door.)

GREGG - Hey man, I got a few issues I need to discuss with my frat brother Dell. So let me catch you next time. Sorry 'bout the game.

REGGIE - Naw, that's cool G. Thanks for the invite. But what's up with your neo?

GREGG - He's a little high strung. You know how it is when you first cross. All you see is your organization. Everyone else is minor in your own eyes.

REGGIE - Yeah but dag bruh! He's downright disrespectful. Someone may put him in his place.

GREGG - I'll be sure to take care of his attitude problem.

REGGIE - I hear it, man. Well, thanks again dude. I'll holla.

GREGG - Be easy.

(GREGG opens the door for REGGIE as they shake hands.)

XAVIER - Dell, can I get you anything man?

DELL - No. Thanks anyway.

(DELL sits down. MIKE looks away and sighs.)

DELL - Good to see you, Mike.

MIKE - Don't patronize me, Dell. You're about as happy to see me as I am to see you and you know it. So just get on with it.

DELL - Fine, Mike.

(XAVIER comes from the kitchen and joins GREGG walking in. They both sit down. They didn't hear MIKE?s last statement.)

GREGG - So Dell, what's the deal?

(DELL opens his briefcase and pulls out his glasses case. He puts on his glasses and then pulls out paperwork.)

DELL - I'm glad that everybody is here. I want to first of all distribute these packets to you guys. Obviously you don't have it or Mike here wouldn't have been spilling his guts to me.

(DELL hands GREGG some papers that he passes on to XAVIER and MIKE.)

GREGG - What's this?

DELL - It's the packet from nationals with all of the executive bios. If y'all would have had this, Mike would've known who I am. My picture is in it. Also, the bylaws of the fraternity and its position on hazing. I'm sure you have this already, but it's important to hand this out to you again because it leads me into my next statement.

(Everyone is paging through the paperwork.)

GREGG - We actually do have the hazing documents and we introduced them to Mike during his intake process. I know that that is the guideline so we followed that to the letter.

DELL - If you take a look at, um...

(DELL pages through his copy.)

DELL - ...section seven on the page 16, you can follow along.

(Everyone turns to page 16.)

DELL - Basically, this states the fraternity's definition of evidence versus slander.

XAVIER - Evidence versus slander?

DELL - In other words, how much will the fraternity hold valuable when it's one person's word against another's.

MIKE - How can it hold any of it valuable? One of the people could be lying?

DELL - Exactly the point. If one person is lying, then the other person is telling the truth. And it's the truth that we seek to establish and decide from. And in this particular case, the truth is that Mike pledged. I know that and you all know that.

(Everyone is silent.)

DELL - And with that being the case, we decide to act however necessary in establishing the proper punishment on the chapter.

(DELL reaches into his bag and pulls out another paper and passes it to GREGG.)

GREGG - What's this?

DELL - Your suspension letter. I want us all to read it togeth...

MIKE - Suspension? We're getting suspended over this crap?

XAVIER - Suspended? Dell, don't do this man...can't we work something out?

DELL - I don't tolerate hazing and you all knew this going in.

XAVIER - Dell, you graduated from Ahpla. How can you do this to us?

(DELL smiles and prepares to answer but GREGG interrupts him.)

GREGG - Because he never made the Kappa line here at Ahpla and went grad. He's been pissed off at our chapter ever since!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

ROBIN opens the door and there are several women in the hall. Some have on Delta Sigma Theta jackets. ROBIN smiles and greets the first one that enters.


ROBIN - Marlana! Hey girl!

MARLANA - Hey soror! Good to see you!

(They hug and rock back and forth.)

MARLANA - What's been going on, Robin?

ROBIN - Nothing girl! I miss you guys!

(The other sorors start to come into the room as BREANNA grabs THERESA's arm hard.)

PYRAMID THERESA whispers - What's the matter with you?

PYRAMID BREANNA whispers - This is the Spring 90 line!

PYRAMID THERESA whispers - So what?

PYRAMID BREANNA whispers - This is Stacie Jefferson's line!

MARLANA - These are the girls? Must be Theresa and Breanna that I've heard so much about!

(ROBIN turns from her sorors to address the pledges.)

ROBIN - Ladies, greet the big sisters. And do it properly.

(PYRAMID BREANNA quickly looks at PYRAMID THERESA.)

PYRAMID THERESA whispers - Just back me up.

PYRAMID BREANNA thinks - What?

PYRAMID THERESA - Greetings Big Sisters of DST, The Eleven Dreams?

(BREANNA joins in on that part because it's obvious.)

PYRAMIDS - of Crimson and Cream!

PYRAMID THERESA - So revered...and so...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Esteemed!

PYRAMID THERESA - So on point...and on the...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Scene!

PYRAMID THERESA - We little Pyramids hope and...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Pray!

PYRAMID THERESA - To be just like you some...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Day!

PYRAMID THERESA - And cross over the burning...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Sands!

PYRAMID THERESA - Into Delta Sigma Theta...

PYRAMID BREANNA - Land!

(THERESA stops and BREANNA is sweating.)

MARLANA - That was cute! Real cute! Thank you, Pyramids!

PYRAMIDS - Your welcome, Big Sister!

(BREANNA sees STACIE JEFFERSON among her line sisters.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Oh, God! Oh, Jesus!

PYRAMID BREANNA thinks - Alex, why didn't you tell me you were married! Oh my God!

ALEX - Breanna, I love you! I don't love her!

BREANNA - But that is your wife! Stacie is the mother of your children!

ALEX - I know, and I love my kids. But I don't love Stacie! I told you that, I love you!

BREANNA - Don' say that! Stop saying that!

ALEX -But it' true!

(BREANNA backs away and ALEX takes a step forward extending his hand.)

ALEX -Please, Breanna, be with me. Please!

(BREANNA'S heart is racing as the telephone rings.)

STACIE - Hello?

(silence)

STACIE - Hello?

BREANNA - Stacie, this is Breanna.

STACIE - Hi Breanna, how are you?

BREANNA - I'm fine. Um...Stacie, there's something I have to tell you.

STACIE - Oh yeah? What's up?

(silence)

STACIE - What do you have to tell me?

(silence)

STACIE - What do you have to tell me? Say something!

(silence)

STACIE - Say something!

(silence)

ROBIN - Say something! Say something!

(BREANNA looks up. She can make out a dark figure standing over her. She is trying to understand what the person standing over her is saying.)

ROBIN - Breanna? Are you alright? Say something!


SCENE 3

BUCK, JUNE, and PJ arrive at the Twenty-Four-Seven Diner.


JUNE - Buck, grab a table while I go to the bathroom.

BUCK - Aight boo. I don't see Ty here yet anyway so we got some time to wait.

JUNE - Okay. I'll be right back.

(JUNE walks away.)

BUCK - We can sit right here.

PJ - Okay.

(BUCK and PJ sit across from each other.)

PJ - So tell me something about Ty.

BUCK - Well, I actually don't know a lot about him besides the fact that he's a bruh. I came through when he was on line. I checked him out. But we only hung out once and that was when June called you.

PJ - Are you just covering for him? You don't wanna leak any info?

(PJ smiles and BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - Naw girl, it's the truth. He's cool, but I really don't know a lot about him. Have you ever met him or seen him before?

PJ - I think so. I saw somebody with the Ques that I didn't recognize. With Ronnie and Dexter. So I assume that was him when he first crossed.

BUCK - Yeah.

(The waitress brings over glasses of water and menus.)

WAITRESS - Hi, how yall doin'?

BUCK - Great. We are waiting for one more person to arrive, and one person is in the bathroom.

WAITRESS - Okay then. Well, I'll give you some time.

BUCK - Thanks.

(BUCK grabs the menu as she walks away.)

PJ - Hey...

(PJ grabs BUCK's hand.)

PJ - ...you have real small hands for a basketball player!

BUCK - Yeah, everybody says that. But that is why my shot is good. It's a certain way that I grip the ball and it helps the ball rotate better in the air.

PJ - Wow, that's funny.

BUCK - Yeah, June thinks so too. Speak of the devil.

(JUNE walks up and scoots into the booth next to BUCK.)

JUNE - Hey, ya miss me?

BUCK - Nope, I forgot you were even here!

JUNE - Oh whatever, silly!

(BUCK kisses JUNE.)

PJ - I hope Ty isn't that corny! He's already late!

(They all laugh as PJ looks at the menu.)

PJ - Maybe I should order some dog food for him. Ha ha ha ha!

BUCK - Oh, don't hate! Don't hate! Ha ha ha ha!

(At that moment, everyone's attention is drawn to TY as he approaches the table.)

TY - Hey everybody, sorry I'm late.

BUCK - What's up, dog?

TY - Chillin' man. How you?

BUCK - Easy. Ty, I would like for you to meet PJ. This is June's line sister.

PJ thinks - Hmmm, not bad looking.

TY - PJ, nice to finally meet you. Hey June.

JUNE - Hey Ty.

PJ - Finally?

(They shake hands as TY sits down next to her.)

TY - Yeah, I remember seeing you and June on line last year. I just never met you. I was incognito with mine so I wasn't the socialite.

PJ - Oh yeah, it beez that way sometimes.

(Everyone laughs.)

TY - Did y'all order yet?

BUCK - Naw, bruh, we were waitin' for you.

TY - Oh cool, thanks.

(TY picks up his menu.)

(silence)

JUNE - So, Ty...

BUCK - Oh boy, here it comes.

JUNE - Hush boy! So Ty, you don't have a girlfriend do you? Don't you think PJ is cute?

PJ - Good grief, June. Can you be any more subtle?

TY - Ha ha ha ha, that's two questions. Do I answer them in order or what? Ha ha ha ha.

BUCK - Bruh, don't let Cupid here put you on the spot.

JUNE - You didn't mind when I shot you with my arrow did ya?

(JUNE smiles and pulls BUCK's ear.)

TY - Well, to answer your question June, I think that...

LINDA - Hello Presjina. Hello June.

(Everyone turns toward LINDA who just walked up to the table.)

PJ - Uh...do we know you?

LINDA - Well, not officially. My name is Linda and I'm an Ahpla student and I just happen to know you guys. I saw y'all come in and I wanted to say hello.

JUNE - Oh...okay..well, hello. This is my boyfriend Buck and his frat brother Ty.

TY - Hi Linda.

BUCK - Hey, how you doing?

LINDA - Nice to meet you all. Hope y'all have a nice dinner.

(BUCK smiles to himself.)

PJ thinks - If this chick is tryin' to make line...ooooh it is so on!

LINDA - Take care everyone.

JUNE - You, too, Linda. Bye, bye.

(LINDA walks away. As she exits the diner, she pulls out her cell phone and dials.)

CHARMAINE - Hello?

LINDA - Hey Charmaine, this is Linda.

CHARMAINE - Hi Linda, what's up?

LINDA - Did you know that June's boyfriend is cheating on her!

CHARMAINE - June's boyfriend...Buck?

LINDA - Yeah! Scandalous! I was in the diner, and when June was in the bathroom, Buck and PJ were holding hands and talking! I saw it with my own eyes!

No comments: