Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 10

The Iota Phi Theta interest meeting is tonight. SEAN is trying to find at least one more interested student to take along with him to the meeting.


SEAN thinks - This is impossible! Every dude that I have spoken to either doesn't want to pledge Iota, or never even heard of it!

(SEAN goes into the Callis student union.)

SEAN thinks - Oh, there is somebody sitting down alone. He may be the perfect choice!

(SEAN approaches the table.)

SEAN - This seat taken?
BUCK - Well, I am expecting my friend Ju...
SEAN - Good.

(SEAN sits down.)

BUCK - ...sure, have a seat.
SEAN - What's up man? My name is Sean.
BUCK - Nice to meet you Sean, I'm Buck.
SEAN - Cool. I haven't seen you around often. You one of those library types?

(BUCK smiles.)

BUCK - Let's just say that I shoot up when I have to.
SEAN - Hey that's cool brother man. Whatever floats your boat. Listen...

(BUCK takes a sip of his soda and then pays attention to what SEAN is saying.)

SEAN - What would you say if I told you that I have the opportunity of a lifetime and I am willing to share it with you?

(BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - I would say that it better not involve me selling any soap, long
distance, legal services, vitamins, potions, lotions or totions. Ha ha ha ha.

(SEAN laughs with him.)

SEAN - Naw naw, nothing like that.
BUCK - Okay then Sean, whatcha got for me?

(SEAN looks around the crowded cafeteria to see if anyone is paying attention
to what he is about to say. Nobody is paying SEAN any attention.)

SEAN - This is almost top-secret information. You understand don't you?

(BUCK plays along.)

BUCK - Oh yeah, I understand. Keep it on the DL.
SEAN - Yeah, the hush hush.

(BUCK is now whispering.)

BUCK - Well I am all ears. What's up?
SEAN - There is an interest meeting tonight. Right here on campus. This
brotherhood is about to make its mark here at Ahpla and it is gonna turn the Greek world upside down. Now I happen to be very friendly with one of the brothers and I can guarantee that I can get you a seat, although seats are going fast.

(BUCK laughs to himself.)

BUCK - Is that so?
SEAN - Yep. What do ya say?
BUCK - I say...

(SEAN leans in closer.)

BUCK - I say I would rather sell soap, long distance, and legal services! Ha ha ha ha ha!
SEAN - Huh?
BUCK - Sean, I am not an Ahpla student.
BUCK - You're not? Then why didn't you tell me that?
BUCK - You never asked. Ha ha ha ha ha.
SEAN - But...but...
BUCK - Sorry to be rude Sean my man, but you're sitting in her seat.

(SEAN turns around and JUNE is standing next to the table.)

SEAN - Oh...uh...
BUCK - Sean, this is June. June, this is my boy Sean. We go way back.
JUNE - Nice to meet you.
SEAN - Oh you too.

(SEAN stands up and shakes JUNE's hand.)

BUCK - I'll holla at cha lata Sean. Good seeing you again bruh. Tell your mom I said hello.
SEAN - Uh... yeah.

(BUCK smiles and SEAN turns to walk away.)

Later on that evening...

(SEAN is on his way to the interest meeting.)

SEAN thinks - I can't believe that out of all the guys on this yard, I
couldn't find one person! Not one!

(SEAN approaches the building where the interest meeting is being held.)

SEAN - Saifa is going to be disappointed in me. I don't even think they would bother starting a chapter of Iota here at Ahpla for only one person. Just for me. If I could've only found one more person! Just one more! Dang!

(SEAN walks to the second floor, toward room 208 where the meeting will be. As he gets to the top step, he sees SAIFA who is chatting with six other members of Iota Phi Theta in the hall. SEAN stops.)

SEAN thinks - Oh shoot! Iotas!

(SEAN begins to walk toward the room, then SAIFA turns and notices him.)

SAIFA - Hey Sean, how you doing?
SEAN - I'm okay. How are you?
SAIFA - Fine. We should be starting in a few minutes. So go inside and have a seat.
SEAN - Listen Saifa, I tried my best to get at least one more guy. Nobody I spoke to wanted to come tonight and I really did try my best.
SAIFA - What are you talking about? There is someone sitting inside now who came early. He says he is here because he is interested and because of something you said to him.
SEAN - Really? Who the heck...

(SEAN turns to walk into the room. There are several chairs in the room but only one person sitting at the front of the room. His back is to SEAN.)

SEAN thinks - Is that who I think it is?

(SEAN walks up and taps his shoulder.)

SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi? What are you doing here?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

DRE and DEXTER are in the Omega house with TY who is now pledging Omega Psi Phi.


DEXTER - Dre, make him do it again! He is hype! He is hype!
DRE - You wanna see it again bruh?
DEXTER - Yeah. Tell him to hook it up! Ha ha!
DRE - Aight neo, calm down.

(DEXTER laughs.)

DRE - Ty.
TY - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(DEXTER starts to laugh.)

DRE - Ty.
TY - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
DRE - Ty, what time is it?

(TY swings his arm up and looks at his wrist as if he is wearing a watch. But
he isn't.)

TY - The time? The time? Dean, did you ask for the time?
DRE - Yes, I asked for the time.
TY - Ding dong ding! Listen to the ill time that I bring bring!
Rooof rooof! Dean and big brothers! My watch is broke! My watch is broke! It ain't funny and it ain't no joke! But if I look at the sun,
and I bark at the moon, the time will soon be...ding dong ding!
Not Alpha time, no not Kappa time,
Not Sigma time and not Iota time,
but fiiiiiiiiiiive past the Que clock!
The time is...

(TY looks at the actual watch on his other wrist.)

...ten seventeen and thirty four seconds...Beep!

(DEXTER falls out laughing, DRE just smiles.)

DEXTER - Oh he is too much! He is too much! This dude has me pumped!
DRE - Yeah, he is impressing his big brothers!
TY thinks - Gotta stay pumped! Gotta stay pumped!

(DEXTER walks over to TY and TY starts growling.)

DEXTER - What! You gonna attack me? Ha ha ha ha! Give me your wrist.

(TY pops his wrist up.)

DEXTER - The other wrist!

(TY pops the other wrist up. DEXTER takes TY's watch off.)

DEXTER - Let's see you do it now mister show off! Ha ha ha ha!
DRE - Ha ha ha, you wrong man. You know you wrong! Ha ha ha!
DEXTER - Whatever! I ain't had no watch last year! And I paid for it too! Remember dog? Ha ha ha ha!
DRE - Yeah, I remember.

(A key turns in the door and the door opens.)

RONNIE - Roooooof roooooof roooooof!
DRE - What's up bruh?

(TY runs up and almost knocks RONNIE and TRINA over.)

TY - Big brother ExeQUEtioner!
Oh how I have waited and waited for your arrival!
Welcome back to the land of purple and gold!
If it be your pleasure big brother,
how may I serve you?
RONNIE - You can get your bad breath out of me and my girl's face!

(The big brothers laugh. RONNIE and TRINA walk in. TY runs back to the spot where he was originally standing.)

TY thinks - Gotta stay pumped!
DRE - Hey Trina.
TRINA - Hi Dre. Hey Dex.
DEXTER - Hey Trina. How you doing?

(DEXTER and TRINA hug.)

RONNIE - What's up with this fool?
DEXTER - Bruh, this brother TY is tight!
RONNIE - Oh yeah? Whatever!
DEXTER - Ask him what time it is.
RONNIE - He probably has a watch. Ha ha ha ha!
DEXTER - Not anymore!

(DEXTER pulls out the watch that TY was wearing.)

RONNIE - Oh okay! Let's see this fool tell the time now! Ty!
TY - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
RONNIE - What time is it?

(TY swings his arm up and looks at his wrist.)

TY - The time? The time? Big brother ExeQUEtioner, did you ask for the time?
RONNIE - Yes, I asked for the time.
TY - Ding dong ding!
Listen to the ill time that I bring bring!
Rooof rooof!
Big brother ExeQUEtioner,
My watch is broke! My watch is broke!
It ain't funny and it ain't no joke!
But if I look at the sun,
and I bark at the moon,
the time will soon
be...ding dong ding!
Not Alpha time, no not Kappa time,
Not Sigma time and not Iota time,
but fiiiiiiiiiiive past the Que clock!
The time is...

(TY pulls up his pants leg and has a watch around his ankle.)

...ten twenty seven and two seconds...Beep!

(The big brothers start jumping up and down and stepping. They are all
barking loudly. TY stands still. TRINA is smiling at him.)

DEXTER - I told you! I told you this boy is hype!
RONNIE - Aight, aight, he got me! He got me! Ha ha ha ha! Rooooof rooooooof!
DRE - Bruhs, bruhs, let me holla at y'all for a minute.
DEXTER - Aight cool. I need to call down.
RONNIE - Baby I'll be right back. Here...

(RONNIE tosses TRINA the remote.)

DEXTER - ...turn the TV on.
TRINA - Okay.

(The big brothers leave the room. TRINA sits down and turns the TV on. She speaks to TY.)

TRINA - Excuse me.

(TY doesn't move.)

TRINA - Pledge guy, you are standing in front of the television. Can you move please?

(TY doesn't move. TRINA gets up and speaks directly into his ear.)

TRINA - Look Ty. I am Ronnie's girl and I have a lot of influence on his mood. You know he is the worst one out of all your big brothers. Why do you think they call him executioner?

(TY turns his head to face TRINA as if to say he is listening.)

TRINA - That makes me a very valuable asset to you. You might want to stay on my good side so I can help you. The happier you make me, the happier I keep Ronnie.

(TY steps from in front of the television.)

TRINA - Good boy. Now that I have your undivided attention, there is another favor that you can do for me. You know that Alpha Bobby right?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BREANNA has opened her door and surprisingly found ALEX as the person
knocking.



ALEX - Hi Breanna. I think we need to talk.

(silence)

ALEX - Breanna.
BREANNA thinks - Oh my God!

(They both stare at one another.)

ALEX - So can I come in?

(silence)

ALEX - Breanna, I just want to...

(BREANNA starts to slam the door.)

ALEX - Breanna no! Wait!

(ALEX pushes his hand against the door to keep it open.)

ALEX - Breanna please. I just want to say a few things.

(BREANNA is staring at ALEX half way behind the door.)

ALEX - But I can't say it from out here. Please Breanna.
BREANNA thinks - What am I gonna do?
ALEX - Then I will leave. I swear. I won't bother you again.

(silence)

(BREANNA steps aside and ALEX comes in. BREANNA looks down the hall and then closes the door.)

BREANNA - What are you doing here Alex? Are you crazy?
ALEX - I need to talk to you. I know a lot of craziness has gone on but...
BREANNA - A lot of craziness? Is that your way of explaining this? A lot of craziness?
ALEX - No. I'm sorry, I need to call this what it is. I messed up. I messed up big time and I am sorry for getting you involved and all mixed up in this.

(BREANNA sits down.)

BREANNA - And now you're sorry.
ALEX - Yes, I really am.
BREANNA - Well you know what Alex, I'm sorry too.
ALEX - I thought you might be.
BREANNA - But I'm not sorry for you. I'm not even sorry for me. I am sorry for your wife. I am sorry for Stacie. I am sorry for the pain that she is going through and the embarrassment that you have caused her. And I am sorry for your two little children. That's who I am sorry for.
ALEX - Breanna, you are singing to the choir. I totally agree with you but like I told you before, I never asked for that situation. I do care about Stacie. I care about her a lot, but I am not in love with her. I love my kids. I would give my life for them. But I found myself in a bad situation, living with a wife that I am not romantically in love with.
BREANNA - But you are romantic enough to get her pregnant and start a family with huh?
ALEX - Bree, she is my wife. We have sex.
BREANNA - If you don't love her the way that you claim, then you should have never married her in the first place, never had sex with her, never had children with her and never brought me into this stupid triangle!
ALEX - But I didn't mean to...
BREANNA - Yes you did! You could have told me that you were married several times! You had ample opportunity to tell me! But you lied! You lied to your family and you lied to me!
ALEX - But I never...Breanna, I love yo...
BREANNA - Don't you dare say that!

(BREANNA stands up angrily.)

ALEX - But it's true! I do lo...
BREANNA - Get out! I am not going to let you make a fool out of me! This whole situation is your fault and now Delta hangs in the balance for me! I may never become a Delta because of you! Get out and don't ever come back here again!
ALEX - Breanna, let me just...
BREANNA - Get out or I will call the campus security!
ALEX - Breanna...

(BREANNA picks up the phone and begins to dial. ALEX frowns and stares at the floor. He then turns to leave.)

ALEX - I meant what I said Breanna. I am sorry.

(BREANNA places the phone down as ALEX opens the door to leave.)

ALEX - And I do love you.

(ALEX leaves.)

BREANNA thinks - God!
ALEX thinks - God!

(ALEX looks back at the door that just closed behind him. He looks down at the floor and slowly walks down the hall toward the elevator.)

ALEX thinks - I am a low-down snake in the grass! I have ruined so many
lives! I need help. I need therapy.

(The elevator comes and there are two students on the elevator.)

ALEX - Going up?
STUDENT - Yeah. Going up.

(ALEX steps on and presses the sixth floor.)

ALEX thinks - What is wrong with me? I have a wife. I have children. I am living the all American dream. But I can't seem to settle down and...

(The elevator gets to the sixth floor. ALEX steps off and walks down the hall.)

ALEX - How would I look, a professor of psychology going to a psychiatrist? I might as well call one of my old classmates to schedule an appointment. I might as well get one of my old textbooks and examine myself!

(ALEX laughs to himself as he arrives at a room and knocks on the door. The door opens.)

CHRISTIAN - Hey what's up? Come on in.
ALEX - Hey babe.

No comments: