Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 73

SEAN has crossed into the Iota Phi Theta fraternity. As he puts on his new letters and colors, he runs an errand before he meets back with his frat brothers for dinner.

RAY - Hey Saifa, where's Sean going?

SAIFA - He has something to take care of real quick. Probably call his dad. He's gonna meet us at the restaurant.

RAY - Oh, okay. Cool.

Thirty minutes later...

SEAN thinks - I can't believe I am finally over!

(SEAN looks down on the letters on his jacket.)

SEAN thinks - I am an Iota man! I can't believe it!

(SEAN hurries to his destination.)

SEAN thinks - It feels so good but I still don't believe it. It hasn't hit me yet...

(SEAN knocks on the door.)

SEAN thinks - ...but it's about to...right now!

(RONNIE opens the door to the Omega house. He has a beer in his hand.)

RONNIE - What are you doing here?

SEAN - I'm Greek now! So what you gotta say now, huh? What you gotta say, now!

(SEAN slaps the beer out of RONNIE?s hand.)

SEAN - What's up with all that trash you were talking about Iota!

(RONNIE lets two seconds go by to digest what just happened. It seems as if it happened in slow motion.)

RONNIE thinks - Did this nig...

SEAN - So, what's up!

(SEAN opens his arms up as if he wants to fight.)

RONNIE - I'm bout to kick your...

(DRE walks from inside the Omega house behind RONNIE.)

DRE - Dog, who is it?

(DRE sees RONNIE push SEAN in the chest and SEAN stumble backward on the steps.)

DRE - Yo! What's goin' on!

(SEAN maintains his balance and pushes RONNIE back into DRE. DRE grabs RONNIE.)

RONNIE - I don't care that you're Greek now! You consider that frat a real Greek organization? Huh! Don't make me laugh!

(DRE is holding RONNIE back.)

SEAN - Yeah, we're real and we're here to stay! And I'm personally challenging all punk frats like you, Ronnie! You don't know about me and you don't know about my frat!

RONNIE - I know more about your club than you do!

SEAN - Whatever...dog!

RONNIE - Y'all are founded at Hurt Gymnasium at Morgan State...

(RONNIE pauses, then smiles.)

RONNIE - Hurt was a Que! What!

(SEAN is silenced.)

RONNIE - Yeah! What!

DRE - Ronnie, calm down! Come back inside!

RONNIE - You think because you're an Iota, you're gonna punk me? You better step to me like a man, boy!

SEAN - I'm gonna see you again, and you won't have your frat to protect you!

(SEAN is backing away.)

RONNIE - You know where to find me, boy! I'm right here!

(SEAN stares, then turns and runs down the street.)

RONNIE - I should've punched him in his face!

DRE - Man, calm down. Don't sweat him. He just crossed, I can tell. He's a little over his head right now. Why else would he try to fight you at our frat house?

RONNIE - Whatever, dog. I ain't gonna let no dude disrespect me! Especially Sean!

DRE - I'm not either. But we gotta be smart about this. We can get back at him and his frat easier.

(DRE gets RONNIE's attention.)

RONNIE - We can? How?

DRE - Come back inside and I'll tell you.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

On the campus of Amgis College, BUCK is in the library with his classmate JESSICA. They are discussing the notes that were given in the last Political Science class. BUCK missed the class because he overslept.


BUCK - Dr. Johnson gave this many notes in one lecture?

JESSICA - Dude, you picked the wrong day to miss class, for real.

BUCK - I know that's right!

JESSICA - I mean, he normally doesn't go this hard at all. I think the mid-term messed up the class though.

BUCK - How so?

(BUCK is copying notes as they are talking.)

JESSICA - The class didn't do badly on the mid-term, but we didn't do great either. So, I think he wants to step up his game, so we can step up ours.

BUCK - But won't that make the class average go even further down?

JESSICA - I think Dr. Johnson has been hearing it from some of the other faculty though. Like his class is too easy or something. I don't know. But expect to get more notes from now on.

BUCK - I hear it.

JESSICA - Why did you miss class in the first place?

BUCK - We came back from a game late. I was mad tired, anyway, and we were on the road. By the time I woke up in the van, got my bag out, got upstairs to my room and got in the bed I was knocked out! I forgot to set my alarm clock.

JESSICA - Yeah? Athletes have it rough.

BUCK - Yeah.

JESSICA - I'm sorry that my handwriting is like chicken scratch. I guess if it were more legible, you could've just photo copied this. But I had to write so fast.

BUCK - That's cool. By me going through it this way, it helps me understand it better. I think.

(JESSICA laughs.)

BUCK - Hey what time is it?

(BUCK is still looking down writing.)

JESSICA - I don't even have my watch on. You gotta run?

BUCK - Oh no, my girl is supposed to be meeting me here. I thought she'd be here by now.

JESSICA - Oh, okay.

BUCK - Is this stuff in the textbook?

JESSICA - Man, this stuff is off the top of Dr. Johnson's bald head! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(BUCK laughs.)

BUCK - Geez, this is a lot! I can't believe he did all this in one lecture.

JESSICA - Well, I tell ya what. Why don't you go ahead and take these notes with you. You can give them back to me in our next class.

BUCK - Won't you need them, though?

JESSICA - Naw, I got another mid-term. I ain't even thinkin' about poli sci until after this one.

(BUCK sees JUNE walking toward them in the library.)

BUCK - Oh cool, there's June.

(JESSICA turns around and sees JUNE.)

JESSICA - She's pretty.

(BUCK smiles.)

BUCK - Thanks.

(JESSICA grabs her coat and her bag.)

JESSICA - Yeah, so just bring the notes with you. That way you don't have to rush in copying them over.

BUCK - Cool. Hey Jessica. Thanks a lot.

JESSICA - No problem.

(JUNE walks up.)

BUCK - Hey, babe.

JUNE - Hi.

BUCK - June, this is Jessica. Jessica this is my girlfriend, June.

(JESSICA smiles.)

JESSICA - Nice to meet you, June.

JUNE - Nice to meet you, too.

(They shake hands.)

JESSICA - So Buck, I'll get them from you then. Talk to ya lata.

BUCK - Okay.

(JESSICA walks away and JUNE sits down. BUCK kisses her on the cheek.)

BUCK - Wassup.

JUNE - Nothing.

(BUCK starts to write again. He speaks as he is looking down at the notes.)

BUCK - How was your day?

JUNE - Okay. Who is Jessica?

BUCK - Huh?

(BUCK looks up.)

JUNE - Who is Jessica?

BUCK - Jessica? She's in my political science class.

JUNE - Why have you never mentioned her before?

BUCK - Huh?

(silence)

BUCK - I'm supposed to mention everybody in my political science class?

JUNE - I mean, you never mentioned any study partners before. Or anything like that.

BUCK - She's not a study partner.

JUNE - Weren't you two just studying together?

BUCK - No, she was giving me the notes from the last class. I missed it after the team got back from the Hampton game. Why are you trippin'?

JUNE - I'm not trippin'. I'm just asking a question.

BUCK - Are you sure? What's wrong?

JUNE - Why did Jessica all of a sudden feel the need to leave when I walk up?

BUCK - What? She was leaving anyway, June.

JUNE - But you just said you were copying notes. You finished with the notes?

BUCK - June...

(BUCK changes his demeanor a little.)

BUCK - ...she left me with the notes to copy at my leisure because she has another exam to study for. So, she left. It just happens that she left right as you were walking up.

(silence)

BUCK - What's the matter with you?

JUNE - Nothing. What's the matter with you?

(silence)

(BUCK and JUNE are staring at one another.)

BUCK - I'm not the one who came in here with an attitude.

JUNE - Attitude? I just asked you a simple question. Is it a crime to ask...my man...a question? Why you so defensive?

BUCK - Defensive?

(silence)

(JUNE stands up.)

JUNE - You know what? Just call me later okay? I gotta go.

(JUNE turns to leave and BUCK grabs her arm.)

BUCK - No, hold up.

(JUNE turns around.)

BUCK - You're not going anywhere until you tell me what's the matter with you.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

The ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority are beginning to arrive for their interest meeting.

SALEEMA - Where's Tonya? She's first on the program.

(silence)

SALEEMA - Sharonda.

(SHARONDA turns away from the interested ladies entering the room and turns toward SALEEMA.)

SHARONDA - Huh?

SALEEMA - I was asking about Tonya. Have you heard from her?

SHARONDA - Oh, my bad. No I haven't. Sorry, I was looking at the girls coming in.

SALEEMA - Yeah, we got a nice crowd.

SHARONDA - I knew we would. Plus a friend of mine is coming.

SALEEMA - Oh yeah? Who...oh wait, there's Tonya. Let me go grab her so we can get started.

SHARONDA - Cool.

(SHARONDA turns back toward the crowd.)

SALEEMA - Hey, soror.

TONYA - Hey! Sorry I'm late, girl. Had to find a babysitter. Mine canceled at the last minute.

SALEEMA - I understand. Well, at least you're here. You ready?

TONYA - Oh, yeah. I'm good.

SALEEMA - Okay. I'll get sorors to start to settle people down so we can get started. You can sit right up here next to me.

TONYA - Okay.

(TONYA takes her seat in the front and starts to look through her notes.)

SALEEMA - Hey, Denice.

DENICE - Hold on, Brandon.

(DENICE puts her phone down.)

DENICE - Hey.

SALEEMA - We're gonna start to settle everyone down so we can get started on time.

DENICE - Okay, cool. Hey Brandon, we're about to get started so I'll call you later.

BRANDON - Okay, babe.

DENICE - Love you.

BRANDON - Love you, too. Oh wait, just wanted to let you know that I got an email already from Miri. Just saying that he landed safely in the Motherland and guess what else.

DENICE - What?

BRANDON - When he got on the flight, his girlfriend, Gina, was on the flight with him!

DENICE - What?

BRANDON - Yeah. She changed her mind or whatever, and decided to go to Africa with him after all! Isn't that off the chain?

DENICE - That is the bomb! I'm so happy for them!

BRANDON - Yeah. Well, call me later.

DENICE - Okay. Bye.

(DENICE hangs up and starts to ask some of the girls to take their seats.)

DENICE thinks - Starting on time! No doubt! That's how we do!

(SALEEMA steps to the podium.)

SALEEMA - Greetings sorors and guests. My name is Saleema Muhammad, and I would like to officially welcome you to the interest meeting of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated. I serve as the basileus of the chapter here at Ahpla and am happy to welcome you.

(SALEEMA pauses.)

SALEEMA - Tonight, you will here the wonderful history or our organization and get to meet the sorors of this chapter. After the program is over, please feel free to join us in the next room for some light refreshments.

SHARONDA thinks - Where the heck is she?

(SHARONDA looks at her watch.)

SALEEMA - So, as we begin, we want to speak first on the history and founding of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated. And to do that, we will hear from our soror Tonya.

(Everyone claps as TONYA stands with her notes and walks to the podium.)

TONYA - Thank you.

(TONYA pauses.)

TONYA - Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded on January 16, 1920 on the campus of Howard University by five dynamic women. Founder Arizona Cleaver, Founder Pearl Neal, Founder Fannie Pettie, Founder Viola Taylor and Founder Myrtle Tyler. These five women...

SHARONDA thinks - I cannot believe this girl would disrespect my time and come up in here late. She isn't here and we're five minutes into the program!

TONYA - ...was the first Greek letter organization to charter a chapter in Africa. We are also the only organization constitutionally bound to another organization, in that our brother organization is Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.

(SHARONDA looks at the door as it opens and she sees a familiar face.)

SHARONDA thinks - Well, it?s about time!

(DENICE leans over to SHARONDA, who is sitting next to her.)

DENICE whispers - Wait a minute! You were serious about her coming? I thought you were joking!

SHARONDA whispers - Oh, no joke. I was serious, D.

DENICE whispers - But how...I mean why? She isn't even in college, yet.

SHARONDA whispers - I'll explain later.

(SHARONDA gets out of her seat.)

DENICE whispers - Wait, how is she gonna...

(SHARONDA ignores DENICE as she politely walks toward the back of the room.)

SHARONDA - How you gonna come up in my sorority function late? Took you long enough to get here.

(They hug.)

MIYA - I'm sorry, Rhonda. I tried to get here as fast as I could. I didn't think it would start on time.

SHARONDA - We always start on time. Take off your coat and sit down. We just started so you didn't miss too much. Make sure you take notes.

MIYA - Okay.

(MIYA starts to sit down as SHARONDA starts to walk back toward the front.)

MIYA - Rhonda.

(SHARONDA turns back around.)

MIYA - You're sure my sister won't find out that I'm here? If my mother found out she'd kill me.

(SHARONDA smiles.)

SHARONDA - Don't worry about Mona. I'll handle her. It's your mother I'm more worried about.

No comments: