Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 8

The AKAs are meeting in Slowe Hall. They are discussing JAHANNA beating up MONA. JUNE has stormed out because she became upset.

(OCTAVIA gets up and follows JUNE out.)

In the hallway...

OCTAVIA - Spec, is everything okay?

(JUNE is crying.)

OCTAVIA - June?
JUNE - I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.
OCTAVIA - What's the matter?

(silence)

JUNE - Derrick is gone and I miss him already.

(OCTAVIA gives JUNE a hug.)

OCTAVIA - I understand June. That decision took us all by surprise.
JUNE - It shouldn't have though. I mean, I'm not his girlfriend. So I really didn't expect to go with him. It's just that when he said that he was taking Caryn...it just hurt.
OCTAVIA - Well is your hurt jealousy or missing Derrick?

(silence)

JUNE - Good question. I don't know. Maybe a combination of both. Derrick and I have been going together since freshman year. So I do miss him. He is a good person and he is funny.
OCTAVIA - And paid now!

(OCTAVIA smiles.)

JUNE - I ain't worried about that. I'll be paid once I graduate.
OCTAVIA - I hear that.
JUNE - We stopped dating when I pursued the sorority. While I was pledging, I kinda got over the fact that he was seeing Caryn because I was preoccupied with learning greetings and history.

(OCTAVIA laughs.)

JUNE - So now that he is gone, I miss him.
OCTAVIA - I see. What are you gonna do about it?
JUNE - I can't do anything about it. They are already gone.
OCTAVIA - I don't mean anything like that. I mean what are you gonna do about it now?
JUNE - Huh?
OCTAVIA - Are you gonna let it haunt you? Are you gonna sit around and wonder what coulda woulda shoulda? Are you gonna mope around and have outbursts at every chapter meetings?
JUNE - I see what you mean.
OCTAVIA - Move on June. If you want to cry about it, that is cool. There is nothing wrong with that. But after you get your cry on, move on. You feel me?
JUNE - I feel you 100 percent. As a matter of fact, I feel better already.
OCTAVIA - Well that's good. Want to go back in?
JUNE - After I thoroughly embarrassed myself?
OCTAVIA - Lesser women have done worse. Trust me.

(They both smile and JUNE wipes her face. They go back into the meeting.)

PJ - I also think that...

(PJ pauses.)

SYLVIA - June, are you okay soror?
JUNE - Yes. Can I say something?
SYLVIA - Sure, go ahead.
JUNE - I just want to apologize for that outburst. It was uncalled for. I have been going through a lot in the last few weeks and I just want to say that I am sorry.
PJ - That's all right girl. We understand.
APRIL - We got your back.
JUNE - Thanks. Katrice, I am sorry line sister.
KATRICE - Sorry about what? I already forgot about it. Ha ha ha.

(JUNE and KATRICE hug.)

SYLVIA - Okay, now back to business. Where were we...oh yeah. Presjina, you were speaking.
PJ - Thank you. Me and Jahanna go way back. It was her room that I went to when we were on line and I called Mona's mother. That phone call was what changed Soror Ferguson's idea about the chapter and Mona in the first place. Jahanna has always been on the right side of the fence. And when she listened to Mona, that was just a mistake on her part. I bet if she could take that back, she would.
APRIL - I know that's right.
PJ - So basically, I am saying that my stamp of approval is on Jahanna. I think she would be a great addition to the chapter.
SYLVIA - Thank you. Who is next?
OCTAVIA - Let me say something. I agree with Katrice on this one but not for the same reasons. It isn't so much that she beat up an AKA in my opinion. It is that she took to violence to solve her issue. That isn't cool in my book. If that is what...

(JUNE's cell phone rings.)

JUNE - Oh shoot. Excuse me, sorors.

(JUNE hurries out of the room as OCTAVIA continues.)

JUNE - Hello?
BUCK - June! What's up baby?

(silence)

JUNE - Hey Buck, what's up?
BUCK - Chillin' chillin'. What you up to?
JUNE - I'm in a chapter meeting now...
BUCK - Oh, okay.
JUNE - ...but if you're gonna be around, I can come over later. Cool?


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

XAVIER is at home waiting on MIKE to arrive. He picks up his phone.

GREGG - Hey man, what's up?
XAVIER - Chillin'. What's up with you dog?
GREGG - Went to lunch with Shareesa. Just hanging out now. You talk to Mike?
XAVIER - Yeah. He wasn't at his crib so I gambled and found him at Brendon's. So I gave him the instructions.
GREGG - Cool. Well I will be there in about 15 minutes. He'll probably get there late.
XAVIER - True. Aight, I'll see you then.
GREGG - Aight Nupe.

(They hang up.)

XAVIER thinks - Went to lunch with Shareesa. Went to lunch with Shareesa. Went to lunch with Shareesa.

(XAVIER dials.)

APRIL - Hi Z!
XAVIER - Hi April. How you doing girl?
APRIL - I am good! How are you sweetie?
XAVIER - Chillin' chillin. What you up to?
APRIL - Nothing much. Just getting out of a sorority meeting. You know.
XAVIER - I know how it is. What are you getting into later?
APRIL - You tell me.
XAVIER - I am busy for the next two hours or so. After that, I'm free.
APRIL - So you wanna hook up?
XAVIER - Depends.

(APRIL smiles.)

APRIL - Depends? Depends on what mister man?
XAVIER - Depends on what you want to get into.
APRIL thinks - I want you to get into me!
APRIL - So I can call the shots?
XAVIER - Shoot.
APRIL - A night filled with lustful passion and ecstasy.

(XAVIER busts out laughing.)

APRIL - Nothing wrong with trying.
XAVIER - Okay that was funny.
APRIL thinks - But I am serious!
XAVIER - So that is what you want? Cool, you got it.
APRIL - Yeah right! Ha ha ha, whatever!
XAVIER - I'm serious. You asked for it you get it.
APRIL - Stop playing Xavier.
XAVIER - I ain't playing.
APRIL - Yeah right. The only reason I said that is because I know you won't do it.
XAVIER - You sure?

(silence)

APRIL - You better stop playing boy before I take you seriously.
XAVIER - I ain't laughing, you are.
APRIL thinks - Oh shoot!
APRIL - When did you get into that kind of game?
XAVIER - Today.
APRIL - Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

(XAVIER laughs too.)

APRIL - See I knew you were only joking.
XAVIER - Seriously, I'm not joking though. If you catch me on the right day, there is no telling what I might do. It's just that nobody ever catches me on the right day.
APRIL thinks - Oh shoot!
APRIL - So now that I got you on the right day, how should I handle it?
Hmmmm. Hee hee.
XAVIER - Like I said, I am free after about two hours. Call me.
APRIL thinks - How about I just come by?
APRIL - How about I just come by?
XAVIER - Hmmmm.

(silence)

APRIL - Talk to ya lata. Ha ha ha.
XAVIER - Later.

(They hang up.)

XAVIER thinks - I need to stop. Ha ha ha ha.

(There is a knock on the door. Sounds like a drummer playing a beat.)

XAVIER thinks - This fool Gregg is stupid!

(XAVIER opens the door. GREGG comes in.)

XAVIER - What's up Nupe?
GREGG - What up man? You ready to do this?
XAVIER - You know me yo. Always ready to get into a little something.
GREGG - I hear ya bruh. I hear ya. We let's get everything set up.
XAVIER - Cool.
XAVIER thinks - I wonder if April took me serious.
APRIL thinks - Nothing but lingerie and a trench coat. This should be
interesting!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

BREANNA received a message that she was to meet someone in Pearl Library. She doesn't know who the meeting is with nor what it is about. She has arrived at the designated place and is waiting.

BREANNA thinks - This is way too stressful. I am going to pull all of my hair out before it is all said and done! I feel like I am overheated and I am going to pass out.

(BREANNA looks down the hall for any sign of WILLIE.)

BREANNA - I don't even know who is meeting me here and for what. I think it would be Willie though. She has probably come to tell me that after all I have been through this semester, they are not going to have a line. She'll say, thanks Breanna...but no thanks.

(BREANNA drops her head. She then quickly picks it back up and looks around
for a familiar face again.)

BREANNA thinks - Am I too early or something?

(BREANNA checks her watch.)

ROBIN - Hey Bree.

(BREANNA turns around. She didn't see ROBIN approach from behind.)

BREANNA - Oh...uh...hey Robin. I didn't even notic...
ROBIN - Yeah yeah. Let's go sit down somewhere.
BREANNA thinks - Wow! This is gonna be bad. I can tell already.

(They walk to a more secluded area and sit down.)

ROBIN - Breanna how have you been? You feeling okay?
BREANNA - As best as can be expected I suppose.
ROBIN - Yeah. This has been a trying time for a lot of people.

(silence)

ROBIN - Breanna, obviously there are a few questions that I need to ask you. And then I need to let you know our position as a chapter as to the activities that you had begun.
BREANNA - Okay.
ROBIN - When did you find out that Stacie was married to Alex?

(BREANNA pauses.)

BREANNA - I had no idea he was even married. Let alone to a big si...I mean a Delta. Then for it to be Stacie of all people. I didn't find out until right before the step show.
ROBIN - Right before the step show?
BREANNA - Yes. I went to his house and that is when I first met Stacie.
BREANNA thinks - She can probably hear my heart beating through my chest! And now I am starting to sweat!
ROBIN - Now I have to ask you a few personal questions. I hope you don't mind but these are necessary for us to know.
BREANNA - It's fine.
ROBIN - Did you see Alex after you found out that he was married?

(silence)

BREANNA - Well I saw him at the dinner after the step show. When we all went
out to eat.
ROBIN - No, I mean did you see him...in another way.
BREANNA - Oh no! I never even thought of that after I found out!
ROBIN - And you are positive about this.
BREANNA - I swear! I never ever went there. Not after finding out. After I found out, I felt bad for what happened already. But I had no control over that because I didn't know. But never after I did know.
ROBIN - Okay Breanna. I do believe you.
BREANNA - Thank you.

(BREANNA feels as if she is going to cry.)

ROBIN - Well as you may guess, this is a very difficult situation to sort out. For everyone involved.
BREANNA - Yes.
ROBIN - We have a lot to discuss as a chapter.

(BREANNA drops her head.)

ROBIN - But understand this. We wanted you to be a member of our chapter. Our sorority.

(BREANNA picks her head back up quickly and looks ROBIN directly in the eye.)

ROBIN - We are trying our best to keep your best interest in mind as we
decide what we are to do next.
ROBIN - So what I want you to do is to go home and wait for your next
instructions.
BREANNA - Okay.

(ROBIN gets up to leave. BREANNA stands as well.)

BREANNA - Oh Robin?
ROBIN - Yeah.
BREANNA - Thank you.
ROBIN - You're welcome.

(ROBIN turns to leave. BREANNA turns to walk the other direction.)

BREANNA thinks - Oh wait!

(BREANNA turns back around and jogs until she catches up with ROBIN.)

BREANNA - Robin, I had one last question for you if it is okay.
ROBIN - Sure. What's up?
BREANNA - I was curious. I met another student who expressed an interest in your organization. I don't know how she found out about me, but she came to my room and we had a long talk about it. What should I do about her?
ROBIN - Hmmmm. Tell her to call me.
BREANNA - Okay I will.

(They leave the library out separate exits.)

BREANNA thinks - I will be so happy when this whole ordeal is over. I wish
this never would've happened. I wish I never would've met Alex in the first
place!

(BREANNA walks to the dorm.)

BREANNA thinks - If they decide that they don't want me in the sorority, it
is going to be all Alex's fault!

(BREANNA gets to her door.)

BREANNA thinks - But I can't go on blaming him forever. It's best to just
forget about him and move on with my life. I have more important things to
think about. I have two exams next week and I pray I make line. And then
there is the situation with Theresa coming out of nowhere.

(BREANNA goes inside and checks her messages. She only has one and it is from
her mother.)

BREANNA thinks - Well I definitely ain't going nowhere. I'm not trying to miss
a phone call from Willie, Robin or Christian.

(She pulls out her books and starts to study.)

BREANNA thinks - I guess this is the first time I am happy that I have exams.
At least it will take my mind off this mess I'm in.

(BREANNA starts to read. Then there is a knock on the door.)

BREANNA thinks - Wow, they work fast. I wasn't expecting any of them this
fast. I wonder if it is just Robin, or all three of them.

(BREANNA glances around her room to make sure it is presentable. She then
goes to the door and opens it.)

ALEX - Hi Breanna. I think we need to talk.

No comments: