Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 29

JUNE has just arrived at the AKA interest meeting at Amgis College. As she is
walking toward the building, she is startled by DERRICK.


JUNE thinks - I wonder if PJ and Jahanna are here yet.

(JUNE looks down at her watch and she is startled as someone grabs her arm.)

JUNE - Derrick! You scared the mess out of...what in the world are you doing
here?
DERRICK - June baby, I need to talk to you...now.
JUNE - What?
DERRICK - I need to talk to you...right now!
JUNE - What are you doing here? What do you need to talk to me about Derrick?(DERRICK pauses.)
DERRICK - How are you?
JUNE - How am I? Derrick you scare me half to death all the way over here on
Amgis' campus to ask me how I am? Shouldn't you be playing basketball
somewhere? Why are you asking me how I am?
DERRICK - I am concerned and worried about you. That's why I asked.
JUNE - Huh? What the heck are you talking about?
DERRICK - I was afraid this might happen.
JUNE - What? Derrick you're talking crazy. What is wrong with you?
DERRICK - June, listen to me. You have been seeing Buck and I am concerned
about you. That is why I followed you and that is why I asked you how you're
doing.
JUNE - You followed me?
DERRICK - Well, I knew you would be coming over to the AKA interest meeting tonight. I was over at Ahpla looking for you and I was told that you would be here. When I got here, I saw you with...him. So I waited for him to leave
before I approached you.
JUNE - Why are you doing this?
DERRICK - I am doing this because I don't trust Buck as far as I can throw him and I am worried about you getting hurt! I knew that if I left, he would put the moves on you and y'all would wind up together. I knew he was gonna pull a stunt like this!
JUNE - A stunt?
DERRICK - June...I don't want you seeing Buck anymore. He is real bad for you and I have proof.

(silence)

JUNE - Let me tell you something! I can't believe you have the audacity to come here and insult me by saying that Buck put some moves on me! Let me inform you that I made a decision by myself to see Buck and I am happy that I did! He is the kindest, most thoughtful person I have ever met! And you have the gall to tell me who I can and cannot date?
DERRICK - June, you're making a big...
JUNE - I don't want to hear it, Derrick! You didn't support me when I needed you the most! When I wanted to pledge, you left me and almost dated one of my big sisters! Then you leave Ahpla with that...that hood rat Caryn! Now she is probably spending all your money and making you look stupid, and here you come getting jealous over me!
DERRICK - But...
JUNE - Well you made your bed! Now lie in it!
DERRICK - But I have proof!
JUNE - The only thing you have proven to me Derrick is that you are insecure and that you make stupid decisions! Now leave me alone!

(JUNE turns to walk into the meeting, which has just started.)

RENEE - ...and we the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. would like to welcome you to our interest meeting. Please feel free to speak to me or to any members of the chapter at the conclusion of tonight's program for further information. Now we are going to have Grace read the history of the chapter here at Amgis College.

(Everyone claps as GRACE comes to the microphone.)

GRACE - Thank you, Renee. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. was founded
on the campus of Agmis College on March...
JAHANNA thinks - Should I be taking notes like everyone else?

(JAHANNA looks around the room at the many ladies who are interested in AKA.They are all writing notes as GRACE speaks. She glances at PJ for help but PJ is sitting with the sorors and isn't looking JAHANNA's way.)

JAHANNA thinks - Shoot! I better just write something so I don't stand out.

(JAHANNA pulls out her folder and takes out a piece of paper.)

JAHANNA thinks - Shoot! I didn't bring a pen!

(She leans to the girl sitting next to her.)

JAHANNA whispers - Excuse me, do you have an extra pen?
DEBBIE whispers - I don't have an extra one. Hold on.

(She asks the girl sitting next to her.)

DEBBIE whispers - Ashley, do you have an extra pen?
ASHLEY whispers - Yeah. Here.

(ASHLEY gives the pen to DEBBIE who gives it to JAHANNA.)

JAHANNA whispers - Thank you.
DEBBIE whispers - No problem. I'm Debra.
JAHANNA whispers - Hi, I'm Jahanna.

(JAHANNA begins to take notes like everyone else. Various speakers approach the mic and speak about Alpha Kappa Alpha and the requirements for membership intake. JAHANNA takes all the information down. RENEE then approaches the podium again.)

RENEE - We, the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha, would like to thank all of you for coming and expressing an interest in our sisterhood. We have refreshments located in the room next door and invite you all to meet the members of the chapter and ask questions or acquaint yourselves with us. We ask everyone to please sign the form that was handed to you when you first came in and turn it into one of the members of the chapter. Thank you.
JAHANNA thinks - Oh yeah, that form.

(JAHANNA pulls the small form out and quickly fills it out. She brings it
directly to RENEE.)

JAHANNA - Hi Renee? I have my form right here to turn in to you.
RENEE - Oh, okay fine.

(JAHANNA hands her the form.)

RENEE - Wait, you didn't write down your school ID number.
JAHANNA - Oh. That's because I don't go to school here at Amgis. I wanted to ask you what I should do about that.
RENEE - You don't go to Amgis?

(RENEE gets loud and everyone looks.)

RENEE - If you don't go to school here at Amgis, what the heck are you doing
here!?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

QUINTON has just arrived at ALEXIS' place to take her out. He calls her from
his phone.


ALEXIS - Hello.
QUINTON - Hey, I'm out front.
ALEXIS - Okay, I'll be right out.

(QUINTON plays with his car stereo while ALEXIS is coming out. There is nothing on the radio, so he pops in a CD. ALEXIS comes out and gets in the car.)

ALEXIS - Hey!
QUINTON - Hi babe.

(They kiss and QUINTON pulls off.)

ALEXIS - How you doin' honey?
QUINTON - I'm cool. What's up with you?
ALEXIS - Nothing much. Needed to get out of the house, so thank you for taking me out.
QUINTON - Thank you for being my girl.
ALEXIS - You silly.

(They laugh and QUINTON drives to Pharoahs.)

ALEXIS - Oh good, it doesn't seem to be too crowded.

(QUINTON looks at his watch.)

QUINTON - Well it's still pretty early. You know how it gets up in here though. It'll be packed in no time.
ALEXIS - Yeah. Well let's get inside.

(They get out and get in line to go into Pharoahs.)

ALEXIS - Anybody you know coming tonight?
QUINTON - I'm not sure. You never know. I haven't spoken to Jason or Larry.
Reggie may be here.
ALEXIS - That's cool.

(They go inside.)

ALEXIS - You want to grab a seat and order some wings or something?
QUINTON - Yeah, I haven't eaten and I want to get some chicken fingers.
ALEXIS - You and chicken! I tell ya! I know what I gotta do to keep you! Just
cook some chicken! Hee hee.
QUINTON - Yeah, my mother says I'm gonna grow wings one day!

(They laugh and go grab a table.)

QUINTON - Are you hungry too?
ALEXIS - I may take one of your chicken fingers.
QUINTON - You'd take something off my plate whether you were hungry or not! I
know how you are.
ALEXIS - That's what boyfriends are for!

(ALEXIS kisses QUINTON on the cheek.)

QUINTON - Uh huh, trying to butter me up so you can get to my chicken. I know
how you Ahpla women are!
ALEXIS - You're so silly.

(A waitress comes over.)

WAITRESS - Can I get you guys a basket of fries or some wings?
QUINTON - Chicken fingers please.
WAITRESS - Okay. And you?
ALEXIS - Oh, I'll be eating his.

(They all laugh as the waitress walks away.)

QUINTON - It's starting to fill up in here already.
ALEXIS - Yeah, it should be nice tonight. I'm glad we came in when we did though. People are really coming in now. Look.

(QUINTON turns around and looks at the main entrance at the many students
coming in.)

QUINTON - Yeah, I'm glad we got a table too.
ALEXIS - Oh look, is that...oh yeah, there's Paula! Hey Paula!

(ALEXIS waves her hand at PAULA who has just come in.)

QUINTON - Who is Paula?
ALEXIS - Oh that is one of the SGRhos. She is so nice and we were talking
about the sorority. She was there that time when they were at my place.
QUINTON - Okay cool.
ALEXIS - Paula!

(She waves again and this time PAULA sees her and motions that she will be
right over.)

ALEXIS - Good she saw me. I think she is waiting for someone else to come
through the door. Maybe Jennifer is with her. She's another SGRho that I
met. You're gonna like Paula. She's real nice.
QUINTON - Cool.

(The waitress brings a basket of chicken fingers to the table.)

QUINTON - Wow, that was quick.
WAITRESS - Yeah, it pays to get here early. Enjoy.
QUINTON - Thanks.

(QUINTON and ALEXIS grab hands.)

QUINTON - Lord, thank you for this food we are about to receive. Make it
nourishing to our bodies in Jesus' name, Amen.
ALEXIS - Amen.

(ALEXIS looks up to see that PAULA is coming her way holding someone's hand.)

ALEXIS - Here comes Paula now. She has a guy with her.
QUINTON - Oh yeah? Maybe she has a boyfriend.

(ALEXIS looks again.)

ALEXIS - Oh my God! That's no boyfriend...that's Bobby!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

GREGG is about to begin asking MIKE the questions that he has to get
right to become a brother of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.






GREGG - Are you ready?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Are you sure you're ready?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - How many questions have I asked you?
MIKE - Including that one, three Dean Kappadonna sir!

(XAVIER and ARNOLD slap high fives as the other Kappas look on and smile.)

GREGG - What year was my fraternity founded?
MIKE - In 1911 Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - How many times have I asked you that?
MIKE - Including this time, 743 times Dean
Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Who are the founders of Kappa Alpha Psi?
MIKE - Founder Elder Watson Diggs The Dreamer, Founder Byron K.
Armstrong, Founder Ezra D. Alexander, Founder Henry T. Asher, Founder
Marcus...
GREGG - Stop! Stop! These questions are too easy.
ARNOLD - Awwwwwwwww, let's turn up the heat a little bit.
GREGG - How many brothers have come through this chapter since it was founded?
MIKE - Seventy-nine Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Did you include yourself?
MIKE - No Dean Kappadonna sir! I have not come through yet.
KEITH - You got that right!
GREGG - Who just said, "You got that right"?
MIKE - Big Brother Keith Russell the Nupaholic off that oh so krazy Kosmic Fusion line!
GREGG - When did he cross?
MIKE - Twenty-four karat months ago Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - How many brothers are in this room?
MIKE - Seventeen big brothers Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - And how many of them do you like?
MIKE - Seventeen Dean Kappadonna sir!

(All the Kappas laugh.)

GREGG - You liar! Okay. I'm through playing around.

(MIKE takes a deep breath. GREGG starts to ask the questions faster.)

GREGG - Elder Watson Diggs was the...
MIKE - Original chairman.
GREGG - John M. Lee...
MIKE - Secretary.
GREGG - Byron K. Armstrong...
MIKE - Sergeant At Arms Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - What were these positions later called?
MIKE - Polemarch, keeper of records, and strategus Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - Where was the first fraternity house?
MIKE - 721 Hunter St. Dean Kappadonna sir!

(DAVE whispers to XAVIER.)

DAVE whispers - Yo, he is definitely ready.
XAVIER - Aight, let's do this.

(Slowly the Kappas begin to leave the room, leaving only GREGG and
MIKE who is still being asked questions.)

GREGG - What high school did Founder Edward G. Irvin go to?
MIKE - Kokomo High School Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - What elementary school did Founder George W. Edmonds attend?
MIKE - Carver Elementary School.
GREGG - Are you ready to be a member of Kappa Alpha Psi? Huh? Are you ready?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - How many questions have I asked you?
MIKE - Including that one, 21 Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - In total since you have been on line?
MIKE - Including that one, 4,154 Dean Kappadonna sir!

(GREGG smiles.)

GREGG - Come with me.

The brothers of Omega Psi Phi have taken TY to a secret location.

DRE - You have proven yourself worthy of membership. You have proven
yourself worthy of brotherhood into Omega Psi Phi Fraternity!
RONNIE - Roo! Rooooo!
DRE - You have made us proud. You continue to make us proud Ty. I am your dean and I am proud. Yes, I have gotten on your case, but that was when you needed it. Overall, I am very proud of your performance. I believe in my heart that you will walk from this day forward and carry on the legacy of this magnificent fraternity.

(DEXTER puts his hand on TY's shoulder.)

DRE - Ty, it is my privilege and honor to welcome you into my fraternity. I welcome you as your dean...

(TY closes his eyes and hopes DRE isn't joking.)

DRE - ...and I welcome you as my brother! Congratulations Ty! You are now a
member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.!

(All the Omegas start to throw up the sign and bark...except TY.)

TY - Are you for real...dean?
DRE - It's over man, you did it! You've crossed!
TY - I am finished? I am really a brother?
RONNIE - You are a Que my brotha! Put those hands up!

(RONNIE picks up TY's arms to form the Omega sign.)

RONNIE - Let me hear you give that call little bruh!
TY - Roooo! Roooo!
DRE - He needs some practice, but you have potential. Ha ha ha ha!
DEXTER - Man, you sound like a puppy!
TY - So I am really over! I can't believe it! I am on Omega! Rooo! Roooooo!
Roooooo!
RONNIE - There you go! We should go celebrate! We should get something to
eat! I'm sure Ty wants to eat!
DEXTER - Naw man, we should go step on the yard! Ty wants to step on the yard!
DRE - I'm sure Ty wants to relax a little!
TY thinks - The first thing I want to do is go have a little chat with Trina!

GREGG - We need to have a little chat Mike.

(All of the Kappas have relocated in a different location and GREGG has
brought MIKE to where they are.)

GREGG - Mike, you have successfully answered every question I have asked you.
Haven't you Mike?
MIKE - Yes Dean Kappadonna sir!
GREGG - I have two more questions for you. If you get any one of these
questions wrong, you don't make it. I don't care that you got all 1500 or so questions right so far. If you get any of these three wrong,
you don't cross.
MIKE thinks - I can handle that. I've answered everything else correct.
GREGG - Question 1: Which brother in here has the line name of...

(GREGG pauses.)

GREGG - ...Kaptain Kwestion?
MIKE thinks - Huh?
MIKE - I don't think...Dean Kappadonna sir, I have never heard tha...
KAPPAS - Awwwwwwwwwwww!
XAVIER - He's slippin'! He doesn't know who Kaptain Kwestion is!
MIKE - ...I don't think I...I mean...
GREGG - Question 2: Whose line is called the Solo Ace of Diamonds?
MIKE - The Solo Ace of Diamonds? Uh...

(GREGG smiles.)

MIKE - The Solo Ace of Diamonds? The Solo...Kaptain Kwestion! That's me isn't
it! That's me! Are those my names?

(GREGG extends his hand toward MIKE.)

GREGG - Congratulations Nupe! You are now a brother of the Phi Nu Pi! You are
a full-fledged member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.! Yo! Yo!

No comments: