Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 76

Buck and June are walking to BUCK's room. They have been discussing their relationship as they've been walking.

BUCK - I wanna know where this is all coming from June.

JUNE - I don't have to have reasons for asking questions about a girl I never met before.

BUCK - Yes, you do, you ain't never tripped out like this before and I know you better than this. And, you should know me too.

(silence)

BUCK - So, are you gonna talk to me or not?

JUNE - I am talking to you.

BUCK - Well, talk to me without the sarcasm then.

JUNE - That's just how I talk.

BUCK - No it's not June!

JUNE - Don't raise your voice.

BUCK - Well stop pissin' me off!

(BUCK pulls out the key to his door and lets JUNE in.)

JUNE - Let me tell you something, I don't care how mad at me you get, don't raise your voice to me!

BUCK - And you can raise yours?

(silence)

(JUNE turns around and sits down. She folds her arms and grabs BUCK's remote and turns the TV on.)

BUCK - Oh, heck no!

(BUCK walks over and turns the TV off.)

BUCK - We're not finished.

JUNE - What Buck? What!

BUCK - June, baby...

(BUCK sits down.)

BUCK thinks - Let me try a different approach.

BUCK - Did I do something to upset you? If so, tell me what it is. I have no idea. If I know what I did, I can apologize or something. But I don't know why you're so upset.

(JUNE is silent but she turns to look at BUCK in his face.)

BUCK - Baby, talk to me.

JUNE - I just don't want to get hurt Buck.

(JUNE's demeanor begins to change.)

BUCK - What makes you think I would hurt you?

(BUCK takes JUNE's hand.)

JUNE - I don't think you will, but...

(silence)

BUCK - But, what?

JUNE - I didn't think Derrick would cheat on me and he did.

(BUCK lets go of her hand.)

BUCK - This is about Derrick?

JUNE - No, not at all, Buck.

BUCK - I'm not Derrick, June. I'm Buck. I wish you would stop comparing me to him.

JUNE - I'm not. It isn't about him at all.

BUCK - Then, what is this about?

(silence)

JUNE - Someone told me that...

(JUNE pauses.)

JUNE - ...that there is a rumor out about you and some girl on campus.

BUCK - What? Who told you that?

JUNE - I really don't wanna say Buck.

BUCK - What do you mean you don't wanna say?

JUNE - I promised I wouldn't say anything.

BUCK - And you promised me you would trust me! Now you're gonna let somebody tell you that I'm doin' something that I'm not and you won't even tell me where the rumor came from? Whose side are you on June?

JUNE - I'm on your side Buck!

BUCK - I don't think so!

(BUCK gets up.)

JUNE - Buck, really I am.

BUCK - Then how can you believe something like that about me? Don't you know me better than that?

JUNE - I know Buck I'm sorry!

(JUNE gets up and approaches BUCK.)

JUNE - I'm sorry!

BUCK - I can't believe you!

(BUCK turns around and starts to walk toward the bedroom.)

JUNE - Buck wait, I knew you weren't cheating on me. But when I saw you with that girl I just went crazy. I'm sorry.

(BUCK stops.)

BUCK - Who told you this, June?

(JUNE is silent.)

BUCK - June, who told you?

JUNE - Buck please...

BUCK - Who told you, June?

(BUCK is visibly growing angrier every time he asks.)

JUNE - Buck, I promised.

BUCK - Are you dating me, or that person?

(silence)

BUCK - Who told you?

(JUNE looks down at the floor.)

JUNE - Renee.

(silence)

(BUCK walks over and picks up the phone.)
:: NEW PAGE ::



SCENE 2

QUINTON and LARRY are speaking with four students, who are interested in Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. As they speak with the students, a surprise guest arrives.

QUINTON - Let me get the door because I'm about to get upset and that isn't what this meeting is supposed to be for. You know what I'm sayin'? I just want to chill and get to know these guys but I can see I'm about to get pissed and this meeting is about to go in another direction.

(QUINTON gets up and goes to the door.)

LARRY - Let me give you guys a word of advice. When you start to piss brothers off, the meetings that are cool turn hectic. And you don't want that. Q and I are some real cool, laid back brothers. But some of the chapter brothers like Jason and Bobby aren't as cool as we are. So, I suggest you keep it cool while you are with the cool brothers!

QUINTON - Larry, they ain't with the cool laid back brothers no more! It's about to be on up in here!

(LARRY turns around to see who just came in.)

LARRY - Oh, my God!

DONTE - What's up frat! What y?all got jumpin' off up in here!

QUINTON - What's up man!

(QUINTON slaps DONTE's hand hard and gives him a hug. LARRY gets up but makes one statement to the students as he turns toward DONTE.)

LARRY - Um...forget everything I just said.

(LARRY laughs as he turns toward DONTE.)

LARRY - Wassup, baby!

DONTE - What's the deal, frat?

(LARRY and DONTE hug.)

LARRY - What's brings you back in town, big baby?

DONTE - Came to see my girl. You know how it is.

LARRY - Cool ,man.

QUINTON - That's cool, bruh, I'm glad you came through.

DONTE - Oh, no doubt.

QUINTON - As a matter of fact, you're right on time!

(KEITH leans over to MARTIN and whispers.)

KEITH whispers - Who is that?

MARTIN whispers - That's Donte. I remember seeing him on the campus before he left.

KEITH - Left? Where did he go?

MARTIN - He graduated.

QUINTON - You want some pizza?

LARRY - Yeah baby, get a slice!

DONTE - I don't mind if I do.

(QUINTON sits back down and addresses the students in his room.)

QUINTON - Okay, so who can tell me the name of the brother who just walked in the door.

(As QUINTON points to MARTIN, KEITH speaks up.)

KEITH - That's Donte. He pledged Alpha Phi Alpha and graduated last year. He left after he graduated.

(MARTIN stares at KEITH.)

QUINTON - At least you knew that. . .sheesh.

(KEITH smiles.)

DONTE - He's been messin' up so far?

QUINTON - He's a liar; that's all.

DONTE - Oh really?

(DONTE walks toward KEITH.)

DONTE - You know we don't like liars in our frat right?

LARRY - Nope! Nope! No, we don't!

KEITH - But... but I wasn't ly...

DONTE - Is he speaking? Did I ask you to speak, dude?

MAX thinks - What is wrong with this dude?

QUINTON - I told you he was full of drama!

(DONTE starts to take his jacket off.)

LARRY - I told y'all not to piss brothers off. And especially this one! Lord!

DONTE - What's your name, dude?

KEITH - Um, my name is Keith.

DONTE - And what's your name?

(DONTE points at MARTIN.)

MARTIN - My name is Martin.

DONTE - And you two?

MAX - My name is Max.

FRANK - I'm Frank.

DONTE - Okay. Here's the deal. Since Keith here knows me so well...

QUINTON - And since he's a liar...

(DONTE and LARRY laugh.)

DONTE - Since Keith knows me so well, I'm going to ask him to recite all of my information. My line name, the year I crossed, my number, the name of my line, and my line brothers.

KEITH thinks - Oh no!

DONTE - And for every answer he gets wrong, I take it out on...

(DONTE acts as if he is contemplating whom he should choose.)

DONTE - Martin. So, for every question you get wrong Keith, Martin has to do push ups.

(silence)

KEITH - Um, I don't understand.

DONTE - You don't understand? What's there to understand?

KEITH - Well...

(KEITH pauses.)

KEITH - If I get the question wrong,

DONTE - Uh, huh.

KEITH - You mean Martin pays for it?

DONTE - Yeah.

(silence)

KEITH - Well, why would I care if I don't pay for it and he does instead?

(DONTE looks at QUINTON in shock at KEITH's statement.)

QUINTON - Bruh, was I this bad back in the day?

(There is a knock on the door.)

DONTE - Keith, man, best believe you are so saved by the knock! Ha ha ha ha!

QUINTON - Lar, get that, man. Maybe it's Jason.

LARRY - Aight, big baby!

(LARRY gets up and answers the door.)

QUINTON - Keith, man, you just turned this meeting real ugly, man. I'm tryin' to tell ya!

(DONTE starts to crack his knuckles.)

DONTE - Y'all gonna make me come out of retirement!

LARRY - Yo, Q!

QUINTON - Yeah...who is it?

LARRY - Um... it's for you man.

(QUINTON turns around.)

QUINTON - Is it Jason?

LARRY - You better go see, Sands.

(QUINTON looks at LARRY surprised as he gets up and goes past him to get to the door. He opens the door and looks into the hallway.)

QUINTON - What are you doing he... are you okay baby?

(ALEXIS is crying her eyes out as she reaches out toward QUINTON for a hug.)
:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 3

The brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity have arrived back at the fraternity house at Amgis College.

HAYDEN - Hey look, there's a letter here.

CALVIN - Is that strange?

HAYDEN - Actually, yes. Nobody has the mailing address here to send letters. Usually just bills come to the frat house.

CALVIN - Well, who is it from?

(HAYDEN grabs the letter.)

HAYDEN - Oh, it's from Miri!

CALVIN - Oh yeah! Open it!

(HAYDEN opens the letter as he and CALVIN enter the frat house.)

CALVIN - What's it say?

HAYDEN reads - Greetings Brothers!
I bring you greetings from the beautiful Motherland! Africa is as beautiful as it is hot!! But, we are safe and having a wonderful experience. Gina and I are adjusting to the culture well. Or we think we are, at least. I think I insulted someone the night we arrived with my bad translation skills. But it's cool; I'm learning a lot and vibing real well with our environment. Which is great and leading me into my next point. I know you guys have been telling me I should write a book. Well I'm finally taking your advice on it. Gina is very happy to know this as well. My first book is a book of poems and I've gotten so much inspiration recently since I've been gone. The book is called My Passion, My People, My Pen. So pray for me as I continue to express myself through poetry.

HAYDEN - Oh, that's hot!

HAYDEN reads - We are having a great time though although Gina misses her sorors and I miss my frat. But I know you guys are holding it down for me while I'm gone. I know my line brother Calvin got mad rhythm and he's party strollin' at all the parties!

(CALVIN and HAYDEN both laugh loud.)

HAYDEN - Miri knows his line brothers!

CALVIN - You know how I do! Ha ha ha ha!

HAYDEN reads - Brandon is probably somewhere plotting and scheming on how to increase Sigma membership at Ahpla! That brother has the mind of our Most Honorable Founders!

BRANDON - Have you thought about what we talked about?

BRENDON - I can't help not to think about it, you keep bringing it up!

(BRANDON laughs.)

BRANDON - My bad, I'm just a little excited for ya. I mean, I was so happy you got to speak to Brother president Bryce with me.

BRENDON - Yeah. Why didn't I know that he's a Sigma?

BRANDON - He's low key with his. He doesn't wear anything but he's active in the frat.

BRENDON - That's cool.

BRANDON - But I'm all about increasing our numbers man. You know?

BRENDON - Yeah.

HAYDEN reads - And to my boys Ahmad and Seth, the wonder twins.

CALVIN - Ha ha ha, those two are always together! Ha ha!

HAYDEN reads - You two just stay out of trouble!

AHMAD - What did you say?

MIKE - You heard me! I said I saw your name on my chapter's list of suspect dudes who drop line!

(AHMAD steps to MIKE.)

AHMAD - Man, you better watch what you sayin' player! You don't know me and you don't know what that situation is about!

MIKE - Whatever, man!

SETH - You better chill, dude!

(SETH tries to separate MIKE and AHMAD.)

MIKE - You ain't man enough to cross my frat and now you ain't man enough to handle your own business!

AHMAD - You ain't sayin' nothin', dude! What's up?

(AHMAD backs up as if he wants to fight MIKE.)

SETH - Yo, chill! Don't do this up in the lobby!

MIKE - What you want!

(As SETH steps between MIKE and AHMAD trying to avoid a fight, he notices two Kappas enter the lobby.)

SETH thinks - Oh, shoot! This is about to get ugly!

SETH - Ahmad! Ahmad! Let's be out man! Let's not do this here!

(XAVIER and GREGG enter the lobby.)

GREGG - Yo, what's goin' on here!

(Everyone turns and notices GREGG and XAVIER walk in. MIKE smiles.)

MIKE - Oh, yeah! Now it's about to be on! Here's that dude, frat! Here's that dude! Let's handle our business!

XAVIER - No doubt! Let's handle our business!

(XAVIER walks up and punches MIKE in the mouth.)

No comments: