Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 61

CARYN is in her room with her baby, Lil' Derrick.

CARYN - How's mama's big boy? You just a big, old pumpkin, ain't ya?

(The baby laughs as CARYN rolls him on the floor.)

CARYN - That's right, mama's little bear!

(There is a knock on the door.)

CARYN - Ooooh, that should be money! Hee hee hee. You want a new Sean John outfit Lil' D? Huh? You want some cute Timberland boots? Let me see if this is daddy!

(CARYN gets up and answers the door.)

CARYN - Oh, hey. I thought you were Derrick.

MONA - I look like I got money? Ha ha ha.

CARYN - Shut up, girl! Come on in.

MONA - Oh, there's the baby! There's the baby!

(MONA picks up Lil' Derrick and he starts to cry immediately.)

MONA - Oh, you actin' up, huh? Well here, go to mama!

(She hands the baby to CARYN.)

CARYN - Thanks, a lot girl, he was quiet a second ago.

MONA - Men. I tell ya.

(CARYN laughs.)

CARYN - So, what brings you by my neck of the woods?

MONA - I need to holla at you about something. You got a minute?

CARYN - Sure, let me quiet Derrick down. Give me a second.

MONA - Okay.

(CARYN goes to the bedroom with the baby. She comes back alone a few seconds later.)

CARYN - I knew he was sleepy. He cried himself to sleep.

MONA - Oh, cool.

CARYN - So, what's up Mona? What can I do for you?

MONA - It isn't what you can do for me. This time, it's what I can do for you.

(MONA smiles.)

CARYN - Oh, yeah? I like this already. So, then what can you do for me?

MONA - Caryn, have you ever thought about pledging?

CARYN - Pledging? A sorority?

MONA - Yeah. Alpha Kappa Alpha.

CARYN - Heck no, I ain't thinking about pledging AKA. Are you crazy?

MONA - That's exactly what I thought. It never seriously crossed your mind.

CARYN - No, it didn't.

MONA - That is the beauty of what I'm about to tell you. I conducted my very first interest meeting a few weeks ago and four young ladies came out. Now, I don't know if they're all gonna make it or not. But, I'm trying to do a new thing at Ahpla. Check this out.

(MONA leans closer.)

MONA - Imagine if we had a chapter on campus with nothing but our girls. Like all of our closest peeps.

CARYN - Uh, huh.

MONA - That would be off the chain. And the best part about it, we would heavily outnumber the other AKAs on campus. The ones I don't get along with.

CARYN - So, what?

MONA - So, what? With a strong unified front, we could run this campus. We could do whatever we wanted. We would win every step show, run student government, be the talk of the town.

CARYN - But, why me? Why you bringing this up to me?

(MONA sits back and smiles.)

MONA - I'm glad you asked. Three reasons. Number one, you're one of my girls.

CARYN - Clearly.

(They both laugh.)

MONA - Number two, we need the numbers to weigh heavy in our favor. So, the more girls I can put down that are cool with me, the better.

CARYN - Okay. So, what's the third reason?

(MONA smiles.)

MONA - The best part.

(MONA pauses.)

MONA - You dislike the other AKAs just as much as I do. So, this could be sweet for you too.

CARYN - What? I ain't got nothing against the AKAs. What are you talking about?

MONA - Oh, so, you cool with June?

(silence)

CARYN - Okay. . .point.

MONA - Now, imagine if we had a line next semester with, like, 10 girls. Or,
Like, 15! All of y'all are cool already and all cool with me. It would be some of the new girls that I just met, and then y'all -- my road dawgs. Don't worry about pledging hard because I'd be in charge of your pledge process. I'd bring you through the same way I came in.

CARYN - Uh, huh.

MONA - And then once you cross, we could literally out-vote the other chicks on anything. We would so outnumber them! They aren't even having a line next semester and Sylvia is graduating and so is Octavia.

CARYN - So, who do they have left?

MONA - Just my line sisters, PJ, Katrice and June. And, then April and Gina.

(CARYN is thinking about what MONA is proposing.)

CARYN - Interesting.

MONA - Look, don't decide now. I just wanna drop it on you. I got some other people to ask, too, and I'll tell you what they say.

CARYN - Well, who else are you asking?

MONA - First, I gotta get Theresa to drop off the Delta line, which shouldn't be too difficult. She's there for the wrong reasons anyway.

CARYN - Okay, Theresa. So, me, Theresa. . .then who?

MONA - My girls. . .Linda, Donna, and Trina!
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

GREGG is hosting REGGIE to watch a basketball game to discuss what Alpha brother QUINTON spoke to Kappa Provincial Polemarch DELL about?but there is a knock on his door.

GREGG - So, tell me more about your neo Quinton.

REGGIE - Oh, yeah. Q is cool because he?

(There is a knock on the door.)

GREGG thinks - Dag!

GREGG - Hold that thought; I'll be right back.

(GREGG jumps up and jogs to the door.)

GREGG - I know this ain't Xavier! Even he couldn't have gotten here this fast!

(GREGG opens the door.)

SHAREESA - Hi.

GREGG thinks - Oh shoot!

GREGG - Hi.

(silence)

SHAREESA - I hope you're not busy because I wanna talk.

GREGG - You wanna talk? Now?

SHAREESA - Yeah, I want to talk now. Why you busy? You got company?

(SHAREESA makes that statement in a sarcastic tone, letting GREGG know that she is referencing a female.)

GREGG thinks - Now? Why now! Dag!

GREGG - Aw, naw, it isn't like that at all. You can come in.

SHAREESA - Thank you.

GREGG - My boy Reggie is just here. We were watching the game.

(SHAREESA walks inside.)

SHAREESA - Hi, Reggie.

REGGIE - Shareesa, hey soror. I haven't seen you in a minute!

(REGGIE stands up and hugs SHAREESA.)

REGGIE - How you been, girl?

SHAREESA - Okay, just workin?.

REGGIE - How is life after Ahpla? Ha ha ha.

SHAREESA - Sometimes I wish I was truly back on the yard, I tell ya.

REGGIE - I hear that.

(REGGIE sits down and puts his feet up. He grabs his beer and starts to watch the game again.)

GREGG thinks - Dag! Dag! Dag!

(SHAREESA turns to GREGG and whispers to him.)

SHAREESA whispers - Is there any way we could be alone to talk?

GREGG - Um, like in the bedroom or something?

SHAREESA - No?

(She motions toward REGGIE with her head.)

SHAREESA - . . . really alone.

(GREGG looks at REGGIE, who just jumped up over another amazing play in the game.)

REGGIE - Oh G! Did you see that behind-the-back pass! Dag!

GREGG thinks - I can't let him leave now!

GREGG - Uh?

(GREGG looks back at SHAREESA who is staring at him for an answer.)

GREGG - Uh?

(silence)

GREGG - Can't we go in the back room for a few minutes and talk? I mean,
Reggie just got here and we're kinda having this, guy night. Ya know?

(silence)

SHAREESA - Guy night.

GREGG - Well. . .yeah.

REGGIE - Hey, Gregg, I'm gonna get another beer. You want one?

GREGG - Naw, I'm straight, help yourself.

REGGIE - My man!

SHAREESA - Well, obviously your male bonding is way more important than anything that I have to say to you so I'll just be out.

GREGG - No, Reece wait!

(SHAREESA walks past GREGG to leave.)

SHAREESA - It was good seeing you again, Reggie.

(REGGIE looks up from the fridge.)

REGGIE - You're not staying?

SHAREESA - No. You are.

(SHAREESA heads for the door and REGGIE motions and whispers to GREGG.)

REGGIE whispers - Dude, you need me to leave? I can let y'all be alone.

GREGG - No, no, you wait here, I'be right back! Shareesa wait!

(GREGG follows SHAREESA into the hall.)

GREGG - Shareesa, hold up.

SHAREESA - I gotta go, Gregg.

GREGG - I thought you came here to talk to me about something.

SHAREESA - I did, but obviously your friends are more important. If you got plans with your boys, then just do that.

GREGG - That's not true! I didn't even know Reggie was coming over. He just
kinda showed up and we were talking about how we never hang out. So, we thought it was a good idea to see the game and throw back a couple of brews. I feel funny just up and asking him to leave now. But, it isn't like this was a planned thing.

(XAVIER comes running around the corner with MIKE.)

XAVIER - Is Reggie still here?

MIKE - Yeah, where is he? I'm glad you planned this Gregg! Good idea!
:: NEW PAGE ::



SCENE 3

BOBBY is in the lobby of the dorm with his girlfriend PAULA and her Sigma Gamma Rho sorors. As they were discussing not finding ALEXIS upstairs, JENNA approaches BOBBY.


JENNA - Hi!

BOBBY thinks - Oh shoot!

(JENNA and another friend approach BOBBY smiling.)

JENNA - Lisa, this is Bobby! The guy that I was telling you about!

LISA - Oh, so, this is Bobby, hmmmm?

(LISA smiles and JENNA walks past PAULA and tries to hug BOBBY.)

JENNA - Hi, Bobby, baby! Where ya been? I miss you!

(PAULA and her sorors stare at BOBBY for his response.)

BOBBY - Uh?

PAULA - Bobby, who is this?

(BOBBY answers PAULA's question as he hugs JENNA.)

BOBBY - Oh, this is my friend Jenna. Jenna, this is Paula?my girlfriend.

BOBBY thinks - Please don't trip! Please don't trip! Please don't trip!

(JENNA looks very surprised as she lets go of BOBBY.)

JENNA - Your girl?

(JENNA turns around and stares at PAULA.)

PAULA - How you doin'?

(PAULA asks JENNA sarcastically with no smile on her face.)

JENNA - Pleased to. . .

(JENNA turns back to BOBBY.)

JENNA - Girlfriend? You didn't tell me . . .

BOBBY - You remember me telling you about Paula. Ha ha ha, remember? Well anyway, we were just leaving and I'm sure you're headed off to somewhere important so?

LISA - Hold up! Hold up!

(Everyone looks at JENNA's friend LISA.)

LISA - You ain't gonna play my girl! Bump that!

JENNA - Lisa, it's ok?

LISA - No, it ain't okay! You got my girl all sprung over you, she been talkin' about you ever since y'all met!

BOBBY thinks - Oh no! Shut up!

PAULA - And when did you meet Bobby, Jenna?

BOBBY - Look Paula, we gotta go.

PAULA - I ain't in no hurry.

ROSALIND - Yeah, we ain't in no hurry.

JENNA - Bobby and I met in the library. Like, a few weeks ago.

BOBBY - Paula?

JENNA - So, we went out to eat.

PAULA - On a date?

JENNA - Yeah, I guess. Or I thought so, at least.

BOBBY - We just went to get a snack, Jenna. Remember? And I did tell you that
I have a girl. Tell her.

(silence)

JENNA - No, you didn't Bobby.

LISA - That's right! You sure didn't! Tell her about the time Bobby came over Jenna! Tell her!

PAULA - Came over? Bobby came to visit you here?

(JENNA is looking very sad and not looking PAULA in the eye.)

JENNA - Yeah, he came to see me.

LISA - Nothin' but a dog!

BOBBY - Whatever! You stay out of this!

(BOBBY steps in between JENNA and PAULA and address PAULA. He grabs her by her arms.)

BOBBY - Paula, she's lying. I never came to visit her. I ran into her here in the dorm, but I was here to see Q. I promise!

PAULA - Bobby, get off me!

BOBBY - Wait Paula, you gotta believe me!

PAULA - Get off me!

(PAULA pulls her arms away and turns to leave.)

BOBBY - Paula!

(PAULA starts to walk out, then begins to jog toward the exit. CANDACE speaks to BOBBY as she follows her soror out.)

CANDACE - An old dog never changes his spots, huh?

No comments: