Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 42

CHRISTIAN and ROBIN are about to begin the process for THERESA and BREANNA to pledge Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.


(ROBIN silently tips in and nods to CHRISTIAN. CHRISTIAN smiles back at her
and throws the Delta sign. CHRISTIAN then turns toward the pledgees and begins
to speak to them.)

CHRISTIAN - This is the only voice you will follow from this moment on. You
will listen for this voice in all situations. Your journey only proceeds when
you hear that directive from me.

(BREANNA and THERESA hold hands.)

BREANNA thinks - Oh God! It's finally starting!
THERESA thinks - Oh brother! It's finally starting!
ROBIN - Let your hands go!

(The girls let their hands drop to their sides.)

CHRISTIAN - Didn't I just say that I am the only voice to take directions
from? Huh? Don't let me have to start out doing this the hard way ladies!

(CHRISTIAN smiles at ROBIN.)

CHRISTIAN - From this moment on you will be known as Pyramid 1 and Pyramid
2.
ROBIN - I don't think they are ready for that! They ain't ready Chris!
CHRISTIAN - You know what soror? You're right! Forget those names! From this
moment on you will be referred to as...

(CHRISTIAN smiles at ROBIN.)

CHRISTIAN ...Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Dum!

(ROBIN laughs very loud.)

CHRISTIAN - When you hear these names, you respond. Do you understand?

TWEETLE DEE - Yes!
TWEETLE DUM - Yes!
CHRISTIAN - Listen to the names of the big sisters that will lead you to
Delta Sigma Theta land!

(CHRISTIAN nods at ROBIN.)

ROBIN - From this moment on, you will only speak to me in the form of a
question! My name is Big Sister Jeopardy! Do you understand?
TWEETLE DEE - Yes!
ROBIN - What!
TWEETLE DUM - Um...Do you think we understand Big Sister Jeopardy?
ROBIN - That's more like it!
THERESA thinks - Oh brother!
CHRISTIAN - And I...

(CHRISTIAN smiles to herself.)

CHRISTIAN - I am your leader...your savior in hard times...I am your best friend and your worst nightmare! I can help you or hinder you! I can build you or break you! Tweetle Dum, do you remember what my name is?
TWEETLE DUM - Yes! It's Big Sister DSTeazy off the Heazy fo Sheazy My Neazy!
CHRISTIAN - That's right! Now listen to me very carefully! You two have to prove your worthiness of this illustrious sisterhood! You are now to receive your first assignment! I am holding in my hand a book. This book is your pledge bible. It will remain with you at all times. You will never leave it unattended, never let a big sister confiscate it, and definitely never let one of the bruhs get to it! Because they will get it and be out!
ROBIN - I know that's right!
CHRISTIAN - Your first assignment is on the first page of the book. When I hand you this book, you hold it in your left hand and you count to 100. You then open the book and read your assignment. You have one hour to get it done. Don't mess up!

(CHRISTIAN hands the books to THERESA and BREANNA.)

CHRISTIAN - Tweetles, you will not become pyramids if you don't complete this task! Start counting out loud!
TWEETLE DEE - 1...2...3...
TWEETLE DUM - 1...2...3...
ROBIN - Do you have any questions?
TWEETLE DUM - Why would we have questions?

(ROBIN smiles as she and CHRISTIAN silently walk away.)

TWEETLE DEE - 14...15...16...
TWEETLE DUM - 14...15...16...17...18...19...20...21...
THERESA - Hey Tweetle dummy. You can stop counting now. They're gone.
BREANNA - ...23...they are?
THERESA - Yeah. That's why they made us count to 100. They left.
BREANNA - Oh.

(They both take their blindfolds off and look around.)

THERESA - Where the heck are we?

(BREANNA is looking at the pledge book that CHRISTIAN gave her.)

BREANNA - We're on Violet Lane. To the west of campus. We're actually right
between 19 Street and 13 Avenue.
THERESA - How the heck do you know that?
BREANNA - I told you. I am good with my bearings. It's something I picked up
as a kid and it never left me. I always know where I am. From the moment we
got in the car at the Omega house, I have been memorizing how Big Sister
DSTeazy off the Heazy fo Sheazy My Neazy was driving and picturing it in my
mind. I know I'm right.
THERESA - Well good! Now what is the first assignment in the book? We only
have an hour.
BREANNA - It says we have to find our way home.
THERESA - That's it?
BREANNA - Yeah.
THERESA - Can't be. That seems too easy.
BREANNA - Well remember, we were counting to 100. That would've
waisted some time. So you were helpful with that.
THERESA - And we aren't supposed to know where we are. And you were helpful
for that.
BREANNA - Yeah. Seems like we make a good team.
THERESA - Yeah.
THERESA thinks - Whatever.
THERESA - Let's get out of here.

(They walk together.)

THERESA - Listen, let's take a cab. We'll probably beat the big sisters back.
Ha ha.
BREANNA - Okay.
THERESA - I just have one quick stop to make on the way back in, since we're
so early.
BREANNA - Okay.

(They quickly hail a cab and are on their way back toward campus. THERESA has
the cab driver drop her off at a different dorm than where BREANNA lives.)

THERESA - I'll meet you in your room in 10 minutes. Then we can go meet the
big sisters. Okay?
BREANNA - Sure. We still have about 40 minutes left. Don't be late.

(THERESA gets out of the cab and goes into the dorm.)

THERESA thinks - This mess is so silly! Wait until I tell!

(THERESA goes upstairs and knocks on the door.)

MONA - Hey!
THERESA - What's up! I got the Delta pledge book right here!
MONA - Good! Let me see it and I'll let you see my AKA pledge stuff, just
like I promised!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

GREGG gets in late from a night out with CARYN. He finds SHAREESA sleeping in his bed and lies about his whereabouts. He now is in the bathroom thinking about his relationship.


(GREGG puts his head down. He then runs some water in the sink and throws it
on his face.)

GREGG thinks - I need to seriously consider changing my ways. Shareesa deserves better. I'll start thinking about it and saying some prayers about it.

(He walks over to the toilet.)

GREGG - Hey...hey! Ouch!

(He stops himself from peeing and waits a second. He then continues.)

GREGG - Ouch! What the heck?

(GREGG is looking down at himself and wondering why it's burning and hurting so much while he is peeing.)

GREGG - What in the world is going on?

(He looks down and checks himself out.)

GREGG thinks - Looks okay but why does it...hurt...so...oh my God!

(GREGG thinks back.)

CARYN - Oooh Gregg, I've missed you so much! I couldn't wait to come back and see you!
GREGG - I missed you too, boo!
CARYN - Then why don't you come over here and show me!

(GREGG smiles as he climbs on the bed.)

GREGG thinks - No!

(He looks in the mirror at himself again.)

GREGG thinks - No! This can't be happening!

(GREGG wants to scream but he remembers that SHAREESA is asleep in his
bedroom.)

GREGG - Oh my God! Oh my God! I don't believe this! I might have something!

(GREGG sits on the side of the tub and holds his head in his hands.)

GREGG - What am I gonna do?

(GREGG stands up and opens the medicine cabinet.)

GREGG thinks - What the heck am I looking for? I don't have any medicine for an STD!

(GREGG slams the medicine cabinet closed and the things inside crash and fall.)

SHAREESA - Gregg you okay?
GREGG - Oh I'm fine Reece! Go back to sleep honey!
SHAREESA - Okay.
GREGG thinks - Okay, the first thing I gotta do is calm down. Just stay calm.

(GREGG takes a deep breath.)

GREGG thinks - Shower! That's what I gotta do! I need to take a shower and wash it off real good!

(He jumps in the shower and begins to scrub his entire body.)

GREGG thinks - Maybe I can wash it off!

(GREGG rinses off and goes through the entire scrubbing process again.)

GREGG - I might have missed a few spots.

(He rinses off again and turns the water off. He then turns the water back on and scrubs himself one more time.)

GREGG - That should do it!

(GREGG steps out of the shower and dries off.)

GREGG thinks - Okay, it's mad late and I can't do anything about this now. The best thing for me to do is to calm down and get some sleep. I can go to the clinic in the morning.

(He brushes his teeth.)

GREGG thinks - I can't believe this though! That trick Caryn! I'm gonna kill her when I see her again!

(He gargles.)

GREGG thinks - And I bet she knows about herself already and just didn't tell me!

(He puts on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and walks out of the bathroom to his bedroom.)

GREGG thinks - And I definitely can't let Shareesa know about this! Not until I have more information.

(GREGG walks slowly and quietly toward the bed. SHAREESA is still asleep.)

GREGG thinks - Good! She's sleeping!

(He eases back the covers and slowly gets into the bed. He rests his head on the pillow and looks up at the ceiling.)

GREGG thinks - God...I know I have been...really bad. And I know I deserve whatever happens to me. But please don't let any of this affect Shareesa. She is a good person and I don't want her to have whatever it is that I may have.

(GREGG closes his eyes. He then re-opens them.)

GREGG thinks - Oh yeah...and please don't let her find out that I cheated.

(SHAREESA turns over and places her arm across GREGG's chest. He turns to
look at her as she opens her eyes.)

SHAREESA - Hi Gregg.
GREGG - Hey Reece. You awake?
SHAREESA - Not really but...

(SHAREESA smiles.)

SHAREESA - ...I'm in the mood to fool around!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

The men of Phi Beta Sigma have arrived at the valley with the Crescent pledgees. CURT calls out instructions as he gets out of HAYDEN's car.


CURT - Line up!

(The Crescents run together and line up.)

CURT - Say hello to all the big brothers!
CRESCENTS - Greetings big brothers of the blue and white! The mighty brothers
of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.!
HAYDEN - Blue Phi!
SIGMAS - You know!
CURT - Now say hi to the big sisters!
CRESCENTS - Greetings big sisters of the blue and white! The beautiful
vivacious ladies of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.!
SALEEMA - Z phi!
TONYA - So sweet!
HAYDEN whispers - Where are the rest of the sorors?
SALEEMA whispers - I don't know. I called Denice as well as Sharonda.
BRENDON - Sharonda, explain this to me one more time...Hayden is Blue Tang
Clan and Corey is...

(SHARONDA is speeding with BRENDON in the passenger seat.)

SHARONDA - No! No! No! Hayden is Smooth Blue Lion. Curt is the dean and don't
forget to say big brother to everyone. And I'm your big sister. Okay?

(BRENDON has his eyes closed trying to memorize the information. He keeps
saying it to himself over and over.)

BRENDON - Hayden is Smooth Blue Lion. Hayden is Smooth Blue Lion.
SHARONDA - Don't worry, you'll do fine.
BRENDON - I still think this is crazy and I don't think it's gonna work! I'm so nervous!
SHARONDA - They can't tell you two apart. I know I can't. Like I said, it Ain't permanent. It's just so Brandon will be okay once he gets out of the hospital. Just think how happy he'll be when he finds out that he doesn't have to pledge all over again from the beginning.

(BRENDON is silent.)

SHARONDA - Stop worrying...frat!

(SHARONDA laughs.)

BRENDON - Did you tell Denice that I'm doing this?
BRANDON thinks - I'm so happy Denice is helping me doing this!

(BRANDON peeks from the utility closet that he ducked in when a few doctors
came walking down the hall. He sees that the coast is clear and he tiptoes
from the closet.)

BRANDON thinks - I'm so glad that Denice is my girlfriend! Look at all the trouble she is going through for her man! She loves me!
DENICE - I must love that boy to go through all this trouble!

(DENICE turns the corner and is one block from the hospital.)

DENICE thinks - I hope Brandon was able to get outside!

(As DENICE approaches, she slows down and sees BRANDON coming outside.)

DENICE - Good! There he is!

(DENICE pulls up and BRANDON runs to the car and gets in.)

DENICE - How you feelin'? You up for this?
BRANDON - Yeah! Let's do it! I gotta be a Sigma man! I've pledged too hard
not to be! I gotta cross those burning sands!

(The tires on DENICE's car screech as she pulls off.)

BRANDON - What were you saying about Sharonda and my brother?
DENICE - Dude! Sharonda had me drive her to the dorm and then I saw her drive
off with Brendon! She knew that we were in a hurry to get you to the valley so you could be with your line brothers! So I don't understand why...

(DENICE pauses.)

DENICE - Wait a minute! She's gonna try and make the brothers think that
Brendon is you!
BRANDON - What!
DENICE - It all makes sense now! That's why she ran into the dorm and that's why she left without telling me! She knew that I wouldn't go along with that so she didn't bother to tell me!
BRANDON - Sharonda is gonna try and exchange Brendon for me? But he doesn't know any Phi Beta Sigma information!
DENICE - I know! What the heck is she thinking?
BRANDON - Well you gotta step on it! We gotta get there before they do! I can't let Brendon do this!

(SHARONDA pulls up at the valley and parks the car.)

SHARONDA - You ready Brandon?
BRENDON - My name is Brendon.
SHARONDA - No, now you're name is Brandon. You're Brandon remember?
BRENDON - Oh yeah okay. I'm ready.
SHARONDA - Okay, let's go.

(They get out of the car together and walk toward where the brothers, sorors and Crescents are.)

SHARONDA - Blue! Hey frat!

(CURT and HAYDEN turn around.)

HAYDEN - Oh my God! It's Brandon!

(Everyone looks.)

CRESCENT MIRI thinks - Yes! Yes! Yes! Brandon's here! We couldn't do this without him!
HAYDEN - Crescent Brandon, are you okay?

(BRENDON looks at SHARONDA, then back at HAYDEN.)

BRENDON - Yes...I'm okay...Big Brother...Smooth Blue Lion.
CURT - Good! Welcome home! Now get in line!

(BRENDON jumps into the line in the wrong position.)

CRESCENT SETH whispers - You're supposed to stand here Brandon!

(The Crescents rearrange themselves.)

CURT - Hayden, he went and stood in the wrong place. You think he's okay enough to cross? I mean, if he can't even remember his position in line, what else may he have forgotten?

(HAYDEN thinks while staring at BRENDON.)

HAYDEN - I tell ya what. If you can give me 10 minutes with him alone, I'll find out how much he knows. Don't proceed with the crossing until we get back.

No comments: