Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 50

BRENDON is on the yard with his new frat brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi
Fraternity, Inc.


BRENDON - Yo, baby! Yo, baby! Yo!

KAPPAS - Yo, baby! Yo, baby! Yo!

(MIKE approaches BRENDON.)

MIKE - How you feel, Nupe?

BRENDON - Chillin' man! I feel better than I even thought I would!

(BRENDON spins his cane around his fingers, then behind his back.)

APRIL - Hi Brendon! Congratulations, Cutie!

BRENDON - Thanks, girl!

(APRIL and BRENDON hug.)

APRIL - You in the pretty family now, huh?

BRENDON - Oh, of course, you know how it is baby? Yo!

MIKE - I see I taught you well, my man!

BRENDON - No doubt, Nupe!

XAVIER - Hey neo, come get in this picture with us.

BRENDON - Cool! Excuse me, April.

APRIL - Go do your thing.

(All the Kappas surround BRENDON who is in the center of the picture. They pose and throw the sign. DONNA is taking the picture.)

DONNA - Okay everyone, say pretty boys!

BRANDON - Brendon! Brendon!

BRENDON - Huh? What man! What!

(BRANDON is standing over BRENDON, shaking him.)

BRANDON - Wake up, man! Brendon! Wake up!

BRENDON - Huh? Stop shaking me, man! Where am I?

BRANDON - You're sleep in your room, stupid!

(BRENDON looks around and sees that it is nighttime and he is in his room. He plops back on his bed and covers his head with a pillow.)

BRANDON - No man! Don't go back to sleep! You have to get up! Look! Look!

BRENDON - What man? What!

(BRANDON shakes BRENDON until he removes the pillow.)

BRENDON - Brandon, what!

(BRANDON points to the shirt that he has on.)

BRENDON - Oh...oh shoot! You're a Sigma!

BRANDON - I made it man! I am a Sigma man!

BRENDON - Oh shoot! Congratulations man!

(BRENDON gets out of bed and rubs his eyes.)

BRENDON - Let me get a good look at you man!

(BRANDON turns around and models his new shirt.)

BRENDON - I can't believe it! You're Greek! "Forgotten Testimony," huh? Cool! And "Blue Phive!" That is real cool, man! Come here, man!

(BRENDON hugs his brother.)

BRENDON - Congratulations, man.

BRANDON - Thanks!

(They let go of each other.)

(silence)

BRANDON - What's the matter?

(BRENDON sits down.)

BRENDON - Nothin'.

BRANDON - Come on, man.

(silence)

BRENDON - I'm sayin'. I am happy for you bruh, I really am. But I'm jealous and hurt, too.

(BRANDON sits down next to his brother.)

BRANDON - I know man. As happy as I am to be a Sigma, it is a bittersweet feeling for me because you didn't get Kappa.

BRENDON - Yeah.

(silence)

BRANDON - But, you can try again next year. On the real, you can make it. Just try again.

BRENDON - Try again. That's a long time away, Brandon.

BRANDON - I know, but you'll appreciate it even more when you do it. I guarantee you that.

(silence)

BRANDON - I'm serious, man. I'm sorry about what happened. But keep your head up bro.

(silence)

BRANDON - You know I'll always love you, man.

BRENDON - Yeah...I know.

(silence)

BRENDON - Well...enough about me. How do you feel, man?

(BRANDON smiles.)

BRANDON - Aw man, I feel good. Real good.

BRENDON - I'm sure you do, bruh.

BRANDON - I mean, this is everything I have ever dreamed of! Having Phi Beta Sigma...hooking back up with my brother...

(BRANDON and BRENDON slap high-fives with each other.)

BRANDON - ...and gettin' mad love from my girl! What could be better than this?

(BRENDON looks at BRANDON confused.)

BRENDON - Wait, gettin' mad love from who?
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

SHAREESA has gone to visit SYLVIA. OCTAVIA is there as well. She is telling them about GREGG.

(SHAREESA is sitting on the bed crying.)

SYLVIA - Girl, don't be crying over that sorry man! I told you he was no good from the start!

OCTAVIA - Sylvia...

SYLVIA - What? I hate no-good men!

OCTAVIA - Yes, I understand that, we all do. But, can we be a little sensitive for Shareesa?

SHAREESA crying - It's okay girl. She's right. I was so stupid to stay with Gregg!

OCTAVIA - You weren't stupid. You just couldn't see the whole situation
because you were blinded by love.

SYLVIA - Stupid! She was right the first time! Gregg has been a dog from the giddy up and you were stupid! I mean dag, call a spade a spade!

(OCTAVIA gives SYLVIA a stern look.)

OCTAVIA - If you don't mind!

SYLVIA - Hmmph!

SHAREESA - I can't believe Gregg reacted that way! I mean, all the mess he put me through, and he has the audacity to go off on me for seeing Brad?

OCTAVIA - That's just like a man, though. When they are dogs and do you wrong, everything is okay in their minds. But when you step out on them just once, they lose it! It is such a double standard.

SYLVIA - Yeah, it sucks! And all men are dogs!

SHAREESA - No, that isn't true. I refuse to believe that!

SYLVIA - You should be the first person to believe it!

SHAREESA - No, there are some good men out there. I just found one of the rotten ones. But, there are some good men out there.

SYLVIA - Oh yeah? Show me where! Show me one!

OCTAVIA - I got a good man.

(silence)

SYLVIA - Okay show me another one!

(OCTAVIA laughs but SHAREESA is still crying.)

OCTAVIA - Sorry girl, didn't mean to be laughing while you are upset.

SHAREESA - It's okay. I shouldn't be bringing y?all down anyway.

SYLVIA - Bringing us down? Never that! What are sorors for?

(They both hug SHAREESA, which only makes her cry more.)

OCTAVIA - God has someone else out there for you. I know he does girl.

SYLVIA - Yeah, girl.

SHAREESA - I just think what happened to me may have been an act of God.

OCTAVIA - What do you mean?

SHAREESA - Well, I met Brad, I fooled around with him. I got something. Thank God it was something simple. I got taken care of, but not before I gave it to Gregg. Which caused him to find out that I dated Brad while we had broken up, and made Gregg get upset and go off on me.

OCTAVIA - Uh, huh.

SHAREESA - Octavia, that made me see Gregg in a whole different light. He never looked so ugly to me, then that night. I mean, I really couldn't believe he was saying those things to me. Here I am praying that he was safe from what I had gotten, and he goes off on me...after he slept with...

(SHAREESA starts to cry again.)

SHAREESA - ...after he slept with...Caryn! And whoever else!

(OCTAVIA throws her arm around SHAREESA and pulls her close.)

OCTAVIA - It's okay Shareesa. It's okay girl.

SYLVIA - See, this pisses me off! I mean for real! Guys get to run around and do whatever they want, then when they're all of a sudden ready to settle down, they go grab up some other chick or some White girl! After we done put up with all their trash for however long! I swear; I need to write a book!

OCTAVIA - Oh yeah? What would you call it?

SYLVIA - I'd call it...?Men?...?They're only good for two things!?

OCTAVIA - Two things?

SYLVIA - Yeah. Sex, and leaving after sex!

(That makes SHAREESA laugh as well as OCTAVIA.)

OCTAVIA - You are so stupid!

SYLVIA - Ha ha ha, I'm serious though! Think about it. Think about all the mess brothers around here at Ahpla put us through. And then when they get all their mess out of their system, what do they do? Dump us and go to someone else. That is bull!

SHAREESA - But it ain't just Ahpla. That's everywhere.

SYLVIA - Oh you right, girl! You right! Don't let me limit it! All men!

OCTAVIA - Lord, have mercy! We sound like three heart-broken desperate women! Lord, help us!

(They laugh, SHAREESA laughs through her tears.)

SYLVIA - You think you'll be strong enough to stay away from Gregg this time?

SHAREESA - Oh, it's over!

SYLVIA - You say that now because you're mad. But what happens when you calm down and you really miss him?

SHAREESA - Then, I'll call you and you can talk some sense into me!

SYLVIA - Deal! Ha ha ha ha!

OCTAVIA - But seriously, it'll be hard. It was hard for you to leave Gregg before. How will you handle it this time?

SHAREESA - I'm just gonna...

(There is a knock on the door.)

SYLVIA - Hold up, girl.

(SYLVIA gets up and runs to the door. She opens it.)

SYLVIA - Oh, my goodness!

OCTAVIA - Sylvia, what is it?

(silence)

OCTAVIA - Syl?

(SYLVIA comes back with a vase of long-stem roses. It looks like two dozen.)

OCTAVIA - Wow! Who sent you flowers?

SYLVIA - I don't know, but there's a card!

(SYLVIA pulls the card out and opens it.)

SYLVIA reads - Reece, I know you are at Sylvia's.

OCTAVIA - They're from Gregg! How did he know you were here?

SYLVIA reads - I am so sorry. Please hear me out. I will do anything to have you back in my life. I made a terrible, terrible mistake. Please take me back. Please. I love you. Gregg.

(silence)

SHAREESA - I was saying...for me to get over Gregg...

(SHAREESA gets up and walks to the vase of flowers. She takes the card from SYLVIA and places it back into the vase.)

SHAREESA - ...for me to really get over him...

(SHAREESA picks up the vase of flowers and places it on the windowsill.)

SHAREESA - ...I just need to forget he exists.

(SHAREESA pushes the vase and flowers out the window.)
:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 3

PYRAMIDS BREANNA and THERESA have just come out of the bathroom and THERESA notices that the Alphas have come to visit and that WILLIE is sitting on JASON's lap.

PYRAMID THERESA - Like I said Bree...watch how I handle this pledge
situation. Don't take anything too serious. Never let 'em phase you girl, never get phased.

(The Pyramids leave the bathroom.)

PYRAMID THERESA thinks - Never let 'em see me swe...

(THERESA stops short. She notices that along with the Ques, the Alphas are there as well and WILLIE is sitting on JASON's lap.)

PYRAMID THERESA thinks - Oh my G...

CHRISTIAN - Pyramids! Line up!

(CHRISTIAN turns to the guys.)

CHRISTIAN - Watch this!

(BREANNA quickly stands next to THERESA.)

CHRISTIAN - Pyramids!

PRYAMID BREANNA - Yes, Big Sister DSTeazy, off the Heazy fo Sheazy, my Neazy!

(THERESA doesn't say anything and BREANNA nudges her with her elbow. THERESA is staring blankly at JASON and WILLIE.)

CHRISTIAN - Pyramids, I know we didn't teach y?all a greeting yet for the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha, but I'm sure y?all can come up with something.

(CHRISTIAN turns back to LARRY and JASON.)

CHRISTIAN - Theresa just hooked up one for Dre and Ty, so I know these two knuckleheads can work something out for y?all!

LARRY - Oh yeah? Well, let's see what they got! If they gave the Ques a good one, then they better have a better one for the Alphas!

DRE - Ha ha ha, shut up Larry!

CHRISTIAN - Okay ladies, let's see it.

ROBIN - Yeah! Hook it up!

(PYRAMID BREANNA peeks at PYRAMID THERESA who is still staring at JASON.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Uh...greetings men of...Alpha Phi Alpha! Uh...oh yeah...the oldest and the coldest...and the...boldest!
Um...from the lands of Egypt...uh...

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - Stop! Stop! Stop!

(PYRAMID BREANNA stops.)

CHRISTIAN - Come here, you two!

(The Pyramids follow CHRISTIAN into a corner.)

LARRY - What the heck was that? I thought you said they were tight, Dre.

DRE - They must not like Alphas! Ha ha ha ha! Roof! They only do tight
greetings for the bruhs!

LARRY - Good Lord! Ha ha! What you think about that, Sands?

JASON - Y'all all crazy!

JASON thinks - And it's real crazy the way Theresa is staring at me!

(CHRISTIAN is in the corner with the Pyramids.)

CHRISTIAN - What is y'all's problem! You kicked a hype greeting a few seconds ago, and now act like you're tongue-tied! I don't like to be embarassed!

PYRAMID BREANNA - Oh, Big Sister DSTeazy, off the Heazy fo Sheazy, my Neazy...we will try harder! Let us try again Big Sister!

CHRISTIAN - Okay, look...you girls got one more chance to do this thing! You two really haven't seen me upset yet, but you will if you mess this up! And God forbid Robin get upset! Your Big Sister Jeopardy is crazy!

PYRAMID BREANNA - We will do better, Big Sister!

CHRISTIAN - Okay, practice something real quick! Get yourselves together! You got 60 seconds!

(CHRISTIAN walks away.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - What's the matter? You kicked the Omega greeting and have nothing to say to the Alphas?

(silence)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Pyramid!

PYRAMID THERESA - Huh? What?

PYRAMID BREANNA - Are you okay? What is wrong with you?

PYRAMID THERESA - You wouldn't understand.

PYRAMID BREANNA - I am your line sister and I care about you. Try me.

(THERESA just rolls her eyes at BREANNA.)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Fine, don't tell me! But right now, what's most important is making up a greeting for the Alphas! I'm not good at greetings. Can you make something up?

(silence)

PYRAMID BREANNA - Theresa, can you make up a greeting for the Alphas?

(THERESA is still staring at JASON.)

PYRAMID THERESA - Yes. Yes I can! I'll make up a greeting that they'll never forget!

No comments: