Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 25

SEAN's father is on the phone with DR. MWATSUMI discussing SEAN's interest in Iota Phi Theta fraternity and has called his own father to create a three-way conversation. DR. MWATSUMI is now speaking on SEAN's behalf with SEAN's father and grandfather.

DR. MWATSUMI - Sir, Sean is interested in pursuing a fraternity here on campus other than Alpha Phi Alpha. That has his father very concerned and very upset. And that is why he had me speak with you. I am calling on Sean's behalf to receive his father's...and your approval.
GRANDFATHER - So Sean wants to pledge?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes sir.
MR. JACKSON - Dad, ask him which fraternity? Ha ha ha!
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - This man is an idiot.
DR. MWATSUMI - It is Iota Phi Theta fraternity sir.
GRANDFATHER - Iota Phi Theta huh?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes sir.

(silence)

MR. JACKSON - Well dad, what do you think?

(silence)

GRANDFATHER - I think that it is very unfortunate for Sean...

(He pauses.)

GRANDFATHER - ...that he has you telling him what to do, Steve.
MR. JACKSON - What?
GRANDFATHER - Steve, you're an idiot. Step aside and let the boy be a man and
do what he wants to do.
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - Finally! Someone with some sense!
MR. JACKSON - Dad, what are you talking about?
GRANDFATHER - Steve, hush. The more you speak, the more dumb you sound and the doctor on the phone may think that I am as dumb as you are. So keep quiet.

(DR. MWATSUMI laughs to himself.)

DR. MWATSUMI - Sir, I would never think of you as...dumb.
GRANDFATHER - Thank you, doctor. You have to excuse my son. He is a little too
gung ho over Alpha. That's understandable, Alpha is a great organization that has been good to us over the years.
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes sir.
GRANDFATHER - But if Sean doesn't want to be one, it would be silly to make him do it. I didn't do that to you, Steve.
MR. JACKSON - But dad, I wanted to become an Alpha. I saw all that you were
doing in the fraternity and that is what I wanted for myself. Sean wanted to be an Alpha, too. He has all of his life, just like how I grew up.
GRANDFATHER - How do you know that, Steve? Is that because he told you that or
is that because you told him that?

(silence)

GRANDFATHER - Steve, you should know better than anyone that this is a life-long decision. This isn't like joining the NAACP or the Urban League. This
is something that you can't just quit and join something else.
MR. JACKSON - Of course I know that. That is why I don't want Sean to make
the wrong decision.
GRANDFATHER - But you are pushing him to do just that. Make the wrong
decision.
MR. JACKSON - Dad, I don't want him to have any regrets.
GRANDFATHER - Then why are you forcing him to pledge Alpha? If he follows you
to Alpha Phi Alpha, he will not only regret his decision, but he will regret
you as well as me.
DR. MWATSUMI thinks - That's true.
MR. JACKSON - I just think the boy is confused.
GRANDFATHER - You are the confused one, Steve. Let the boy grow up and make
his own decisions. I did that for you. You owe that to him.

(silence)

GRANDFATHER - Do the right thing by Sean, Steve. Do the right thing.

(silence)

DR. MWATSUMI - I wish to thank you for your time, sir. It was a pleasure
speaking and listening to you.
GRANDFATHER - You're welcome, Doctor. Give Sean my best regards. And you take care.
DR. MWATSUMI - Thank you.
MR. JACKSON - Doctor?
DR. MWATSUMI - Yes, Mr. Jackson.
MR. JACKSON - Please, call me Steve.
DR. MWATSUMI - Thank you. And you can call me Colin.
MR. JACKSON - Colin, I just wanted you to give Sean a message for me.
DR. MWATSUMI - Surely.
MR. JACKSON - Tell Sean...

(He pauses.)

MR. JACKSON - ...that his father loves him and supports whatever decision he
makes.


:: NEW PAGE ::

SCENE 2

JASON has just arrived at WILLIE's place.

JASON thinks - I hope I don't look suspicious or guilty! Just act natural! Act natural!

(JASON knocks on the door. WILLIE opens the door.)

WILLIE - Hey boo!
JASON - Hi.

(WILLIE jumps up and throws her arms around JASON's neck. He hugs her back.)

WILLIE - It feels like we haven't seen each other in weeks! Where you been?
JASON - Um...nowhere. Why?
WILLIE - Just kidding.
JASON thinks - Good.

(JASON comes in.)

JASON - What's going on?
WILLIE - Just doing a little cleaning. That's all. What's up with you babe?
JASON - Oh...nothing.
WILLIE - I'm happy to see you...finally.
JASON - Finally? What's that supposed to mean?
WILLIE - We never see each other. You too busy for me?

(WILLIE pouts.)

JASON - Of course not.
JASON thinks - I gotta change the subject!
WILLIE - You didn't call. And I haven't seen you since last week. You don't like me no more?
JASON - Don't be silly.
WILLIE - You got another woman on the side?

(silence)

JASON thinks - Oh my God!
JASON - Um no! I just knew you had a big meeting...and um...I didn't want to disturb...uh...by the way, how did that go?
WILLIE - Oh, glad you asked. Man, it was crazy. Sit down, let me tell you
about it.

(JASON sighs relief to himself as he sits down next to WILLIE.)

WILLIE - Let me tell you. Between me and you.
JASON - Who the heck am I gonna tell?
WILLIE - Good. Well, we picked Theresa for line.
JASON thinks - Oh shoot!
JASON - Shut up! Y'all did? What y'all do that for?
WILLIE - Long story. Confidential story too. That's about as much info as I can put out there. You know how it is.
JASON thinks - Oh this is terrible!
JASON - Yeah, I understand. But God...Theresa?
WILLIE - I don't know, Jason. I personally think she has changed a lot and has a lot to offer. She is looking to work hard and follow after many of the things that I did within Delta.
JASON thinks - Yeah, I bet she is looking to follow you! Follow you right back to me!
WILLIE - So we voted based on the fact that she has some good things to offer and we can possibly repair our friendship as well in the process. You know?

(silence)

WILLIE - Jason, are you listening to me?
JASON - Uh...yeah. She has some good things to offer. I heard you.
WILLIE - No you aren't listening. I just said that I would like to repair our friendship in the process.
JASON thinks - Oh my God!
JASON - Yeah, I heard you say that.
JASON thinks - This is nuts!
WILLIE - Yeah, whatever. I know you ain't listening to me ramble on.

(WILLIE playfully pushes JASON.)

JASON - No seriously, I am. Continue.
WILLIE - Okay. So anyway, at first I kinda felt uncomfortable. Because ever since me and Theresa had the falling out, our relationship has been very funny. Ya know? I don't know what I would call it, but there is a funny tension.
JASON thinks - Dag I feel bad.
WILLIE - And even when I voted, I felt funny. But afterward, sorors went to eat and I thought about it and chatted with sorors about it. I feel a little better now. I told sorors how she used to like you and stuff. And how y'all had a history before you and I got together.
JASON - You told them that?
WILLIE - Well yeah...was that bad?
JASON thinks - Now all the Deltas are gonna be suspicious!
JASON - Uh...no. That's okay, I guess.
WILLIE - Don't worry, it's cool with them. This will bring Theresa and me closer, the way that we used to be. It will be good for the both of us...and probably for you, too.
JASON - Me? How for me?
WILLIE - Because when she crosses, you will have time to spend with the both of us, together. Then it will clear up any suspicions that you may still have about her liking you. If she spends enough time with us, she will see that our feelings for each other are genuine and she'll respect that. We'll be sorors. Ya know?

(silence)

WILLIE - Jason!
JASON - Huh?
WILLIE - What is wrong with you? You aren't listening to me at all! What is your problem?
JASON - Willie...

(silence)

JASON - Willie, I have something to tell you about the girl you are about to put on line.


CHRISTIAN - So you think you are worthy enough to be put on line?
BREANNA - I certainly hope and pray so, Christian. I know that the prior situation with me has shed a very bad light on me and on...
CHRISTIAN - Shut up.

(BREANNA stops speaking.)

CHRISTIAN - Only answer questions that I ask you and only speak when I tell you to.
BREANNA - Okay.
CHRISTIAN - Shut up. I didn't tell you to speak.

(BREANNA stops again.)

CHRISTIAN - Well you're going to have to prove to me that you are worthy
because recently I have had my doubts. Do you think you can prove it to me?
BREANNA - Yes.
CHRISTIAN - Are you ready to prove to me your worthiness and dedication?
BREANNA - Yes!
CHRISTIAN - And you are ready to do anything I ask you to do?
BREANNA - Yes I am!
CHRISTIAN - Anything?
BREANNA - Anything!
CHRISTIAN - Good.

(CHRISTIAN picks up BREANNA's telephone.)

CHRISTIAN - The first thing I want you to do is call Alex Jefferson.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

ALEX JEFFERSON is driving to his home. After seeing Lil' DERRICK, he wants his babies.

ALEX thinks - There is no reason I cannot take my children and spend time
with them.

(ALEX turns the corner.)

ALEX thinks - Yeah, I messed up. But the children are too young to know and they probably miss their daddy.

(He stops at a red light.)

ALEX thinks - I know I miss them. Both of them.

(The light turns green and ALEX drives on.)

ALEX thinks - I miss Stacie too. But it would take a lot of work to get back to where I used to be with her. I don't know if she is willing to work with me. It may be too much of a struggle.

(A love song comes on the radio and ALEX changes the station.)

ALEX thinks - Don't feel like hearing that right now.

(ALEX turns the corner and is now on the street where he lives.)

ALEX thinks - I hope this doesn't turn out to be a big to-do. Just let me
take my kids. Just spending a few seconds with Bobby's little baby made me
think of mine and now I have to have them.

(ALEX pulls in his driveway and parks behind STACIE's car.)

ALEX thinks - Good, she's home. I would hate to have to deal with just the
babysitter.

(ALEX gets out of his car and walks to his front door. He takes a deep breath
and opens the door.)

ALEX thinks - Wow, seems kinda quiet in here.
ALEX - Stacie! Stace!
STACIE - Alex?

(STACIE looks down the staircase and sees ALEX closing the door behind him.)

STACIE - Alex? What are you doing here?
ALEX - This is my house you know.

(STACIE starts to walk down the stairs.)

STACIE - I know that, but I thought we agreed that whenever...
ALEX - Nevermind that. I need something from you.
STACIE - Need something from me? I thought the paperwork that I left with you was complete. You shouldn't need anything more. You just need to sign.
ALEX - I'm not talking about that.
STACIE - Then what are you talking about Alex? Why are you here?
ALEX - I'm here because...

(He pauses.)

ALEX - I'm here because...because...
STACIE - Because what Alex?
ALEX - ...because I want the twins.

CRESCENT AHMAD - Oh no! The other twin!

(BRENDON has just entered his room and sees all the Crescents rolling on the
floor fighting and BRANDON on the bottom of the pile.)

BRENDON - What's going on here? What are y'all doing?
CRESCENT BRANDON - Brendon!
BRENDON - Hey! Get off my brother!

(BRENDON grabs SETH as AHMAD and MIRI pull BRANDON to his feet.)

CRESCENT SETH - Get off me! Get off me, man!
BRENDON - What are you doing to my brother!
CRESCENT SETH - I'm gonna kill him!
CRESCENT BRANDON - I'm sorry man! I didn't know!
CRESCENT AHMAD - Get your hands off my line brother!
CRESCENT SETH - Let me go!

(BRENDON lets SETH go. SETH rushes BRANDON again and AHMAD holds him back.)

BRENDON - Hey man, I don't know what's going on here with you guys, but if
you got a problem with Brandon, then you got a problem with me!
CRESCENT SETH - This ain't got nothing to do with you! Stay out of it!
BRENDON - You're bringing me into it by going after my brother!
CRESCENT CALVIN - Yo Brandon, you better talk to your brother! This don't concern him!
BRENDON - Forget that! Me and Brandon are deeper than Sigma!
CRESCENT BRANDON - Brendon!
BRENDON - I don't care what y'all are going through! You don't put your hands
on...
CRESCENT BRANDON - Brendon stop!

(CALVIN and MIRI let go of BRANDON. AHMAD lets go of SETH. SETH is staring
angrily at BRENDON.)

CRESCENT SETH - Yo dude, you're about to disrespect my big brothers and the
frat! Watch what you say about Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated!
BRENDON - Whatever man! Blood is thicker than bullsh...
CRESCENT BRANDON - Brendon! Shut up! Just shut up!

(BRENDON stops and looks at his brother.)

BRENDON - What? You gonna choose them over me? Your own blood? Your twin?

No comments: