Friday, January 4, 2008

Episode 60

LARRY is in his room studying. There is a knock on his door.

LARRY thinks - Dag, that was quick!

(LARRY gets up and before he gets to the door, there is another set of quick knocks.)

LARRY - I'm comin'!

(LARRY opens the door.)

LARRY - Girl, you was about to beat my door down! Ha ha ha ha ha!

TRINA - Sorry, Larry. Just eager to get started, that's all. Hee hee.

(LARRY steps aside and TRINA walks in.)

LARRY - Welcome to my humble abode. Can I get you anything, madam?

(TRINA quickly looks LARRY up and down.)

TRINA thinks - Hmmm, interesting question.

TRINA - Water is fine. Thanks.

LARRY - One water coming right up.

(LARRY walks into his kitchen as TRINA takes her coat off.)

TRINA - It's getting pretty cold out. I had to pull my big coat out of the back of my closet.

LARRY - Oh yeah?

(LARRY looks at TRINA as he is pouring her water. When he notices her outfit, which is underneath her heavy coat; he overflows the glass, spilling the water.)

LARRY thinks - Oh sh...

(LARRY wipes the counter quickly and returns to TRINA with her water.)

LARRY - That's a nice...um...short...skirt.

TRINA - Oh, this old thing? Thanks. I just hate bundling up with layers and layers of clothes. I mean, sheesh! I feel like I can't breathe. Ya know?

LARRY - Ahem...um, yeah, I guess.

(TRINA sits down and reaches into her bag, which is on the floor. Her already short skirt hikes up a little higher.)

TRINA - It's like with underwear. I mean, think about it...why? Why wear underwear at all? Sometimes you need to just breathe.

LARRY - Breathe?

TRINA - Yeah. Breathe.

(TRINA puckers her lips and slowly blows out.)

TRINA - Breathe.

(silence)

LARRY - Um...well...okay. Um, how do you want to divide...um...this textbook up?

TRINA - Oh, okay. Well, I think we probably have to read the same sections. What assignment did you get in your last lecture?

LARRY - We have to read all of chapter two, and do the assessment questions at the end of the chapter.

TRINA - Yeah, our class, too.

LARRY - Oh good! This way, we can do it together and split up the questions at the end.

TRINA - Good idea. Come sit here next to me so we can share the book and read it together.

LARRY - Okay.

(LARRY gets up, grabs the textbook and sits next to TRINA on the couch. She scoots closer to where their bodies are touching.)

LARRY - Is that perfume you're wearing? What is it?

TRINA - Oh no. I don't really do perfumes ya know? Skin needs to breathe.

LARRY - Oh yeah, the ?breathe? thing, again. Whew! Whew!

(LARRY mimics taking in two huge breaths.)

TRINA - Yeah, so, I don't like to use perfumes. Clogs my pores.

LARRY - So, then what's that sweet smell?

TRINA - Oh that? That's my body spray. Body sprays are lighter than perfumes and can go...all over.

(TRINA smiles seductively.)

LARRY - Can go all over what?

TRINA - Can go all over your body silly! I put it all over.

LARRY - Oh. Gotcha.

TRINA - Do you like it?

LARRY - Uh yeah, it's nice.

TRINA - Thanks, it's called Jewel. You should buy some for your...girlfriend.

LARRY - Oh, I don't have one.

(TRINA looks surprised.)

TRINA - You don't have a girl? As cute as you are?

(LARRY smiles.)

LARRY - Nope I sure don't. The girls of today want a thug whothat probably sells drugs. Me? I don't have money; I just try and be funny! Ha ha ha ha ha! Hey, I'm a poet now! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(TRINA forces a laugh.)

TRINA thinks - Okay, this brother is corny!

TRINA - I thought for sure you'd have somebody, Larry.

(TRINA smiles at LARRY again.)

LARRY - Nope.

TRINA - That's surprising. I tell ya, these Ahpla women don't know a good thing. I would think girls are beating down your door.

LARRY - Naw, that was just you beating it down.

TRINA - Hee hee.

(TRINA crosses her legs and LARRY remembers her stating that she doesn't like
to wear underwear.)

LARRY - Um..yeah...so, um where do we start?

TRINA - Start?

(TRINA leans her body way across LARRY to grab the first page of chapter two. She stares deep into his eyes and comes very close to his face.)

TRINA - We can...start...

(She smiles.)

TRINA - . . .wherever you want.

(LARRY uneasily shifts in his seat and slowly pushes himself an inch away.)

TRINA - You ready for me, Larry?

(TRINA closes the inch space between them.)

TRINA - Because I am definitely. . .ready for you!

LARRY - Uh. . .Trina?

(LARRY moves away again, this time a little further.)

LARRY - . . .Trina, there's something that I think I need to tell you about me.
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

SEAN knocks on the door of SAIFA, Big Brother The Man with the Hoof.


(SAIFA opens the door.)

SAIFA - Sean.

SEAN - Greetings Big Brot?

SAIFA - Shhhh.

(SEAN stops.)

SAIFA - What are you doing here?

SEAN - I need to talk. . .big brother.

SAIFA - Okay, come in.

(SAIFA lets SEAN in and closes the door behind him.)

SEAN - Oh, I didn't know you had company. I'm can come back.

SAIFA - Oh it's okay. Sean this is Renee. She's a student from Amgis. Renee, this is our pledgee, Sean.

RENEE - Hi, Sean.

SEAN - Nice to meet you.

(SEAN looks at RENEE's bag.)

SEAN - Oh. . .uh. . .greetings, lady of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.!

(SAIFA smiles.)

SAIFA - He's such a show off! One big ham, straight pork!

(RENEE laughs.)

RENEE - Thank you, Sean.

SAIFA - So Renee, let me holla at him and I'll call you okay?

RENEE - Yeah, cool.

(SAIFA helps RENEE with her coat and she grabs her bag to leave.)

RENEE - Nice meeting you Sean. Good luck okay?

SEAN - Thank you.

SAIFA - I'll be right back Sean.

(SAIFA walks RENEE to the door.)

RENEE whispers - He seems cool.

SAIFA whispers - Yeah, just a little high-strung.

RENEE whispers - Well, that's a good thing. He'll work hard once in the frat.

(SAIFA smiles as he opens the door for her.)

SAIFA - Yeah.

RENEE - So, call me later.

SAIFA - Okay.

(They both smile as RENEE turns to leave.)

SAIFA - So, Centaur, what brings you by? You not busy enough? The brothers don't have enough assignments for you?

SEAN - On the contrary, big brother. I don't have a second to think, let alone go off my schedule. So I am risking a lot being here.

SAIFA - So, what's up?

(SEAN pauses.)

SEAN - Big Bro?

SAIFA - Call me Saifa, for now, my brother.

SEAN - Okay. Saifa, over the last few days I've been trying to find the doctor.

SAIFA - You have?

SEAN - Yes. I can't believe he isn't going through the process any longer.

SAIFA - Yeah. It just wasn't conducive to his lifestyle. Everyone isn't cut out for what it is that we do.

SEAN - My problem is that I do believe that, especially after the things I have experienced. But Dr. Mwatsumi isn't like that. He isn't some dude who just wants Greek letters to sport them on the yard or to pick up babes. He was doing this for the right reason, and would've made a tremendous impact on the world through Iota.

SAIFA - I agree.

SEAN - So, if you agree, how could you let him leave?

SAIFA - Although I agree, Sean, Dr. Mwatsumi is a grown man. Once he made up his mind that this process wasn't for him, there's nothing I could've said to change that.

SEAN - But, he listens to you, Saifa. He listened to everything else you say. Why couldn't you try?

SAIFA - Because I can't be that selfish, Sean.

SEAN - Selfish?

SAIFA - Sean, that man was placing his career in jeopardy. As much as I love and work hard for Iota, I cannot justifiably sit back and watch that professor lose his job trying to become a member. It's not about how happy I would be to see the professor as a man of Iota. It is, more so, watching him lose sleep, get complaints from students, possibly be written up by faculty. I can't do that, Sean.

(SEAN is silent.)

SAIFA - Sean, the fact is that this process was too much for Dr. Mwatsumi. That is fact. It may not have been a good idea to even start him through it. Now would he make a great Iota man? Of course, Dr. Mwatsumi is a great man already. So the answer is yes. But do we test him by the number of pushups he can do or how many assignments he can knock out at once?

SEAN - I understand.

SAIFA - Do you?

(SEAN hesitates.)

SAIFA - Do you Sean? I need for you to understand because I don't need for you to be going to his classes, to his briefing sessions, and to his office.

(SEAN looks at SAIFA shocked.)

SEAN - You know about me?

SAIFA - Sean, a Centaur never leaves the eyesight of an Iota.

(SAIFA winks at SEAN.)

SAIFA - Always remember that. It may prove helpful.

(SEAN starts to think about the brothers and how he thought he was being secretive by visiting SAIFA. He realizes that the brothers probably followed him there.)

SEAN thinks - Oh shoot!

SAIFA - So, do you understand what I'm saying? I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but you have to think of the doctor. Not of yourself.

(SEAN lowers his head.)

SEAN - I understand.

SAIFA - Good. Are you gonna be okay?

SEAN - I have to.

SAIFA - Good answer.

(SAIFA sits down.)

SAIFA - Now, go back to being a Centaur.

(SEAN straightens up.)

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - Centaur, no more unauthorized trips.

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - No more following around or looking for Dr. M.

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - Now get back to your assignments and pray that the big brothers aren't waiting for you outside.

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SEAN thinks - Dag, that's true!

SAIFA - And, you are sure you are okay?

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - And, you now understand why the doctor cannot do this process, right?

SEAN - Yes, Big Brother the Man with the Hoof!

SAIFA - Repeat after me. Dr. Mwatsumi is not my line brother. He can't handle my process.

(SEAN hesitates but repeats.)

SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi is not my line brother. He can't handle my process.

SAIFA - Say it like you mean it!

SEAN - Dr. Mwatsumi is not my line brother. He can't handle my process.

SAIFA - Good. Be out.

(SEAN turns to leave, opens and closes the door quickly and steps into the hallway as the tears for his line brother, now gone, fall down his face.)
:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

GINA and MIRI are on the Amgis College campus, after the Phi Beta Sigma yard show. GINA has just told MIRI that she doesn't think she can accompany him to Egypt.

MIRI - I know this is hard. A transition like this is really hard.

GINA - Miri, that isn't the hard part that I'm talking about.

MIRI - Oh, well what do you mean?

(GINA exhales and wipes her eyes again.)

GINA - It's hard feeling the way that I feel. Because I don't feel that I can go on this journey with you.

MIRI - Gina, don't answer now. Take your time and think about it.

GINA - I can't go, Miri.

(silence)

MIRI - Come on.

(They begin to walk toward the Sigma frat house for the fraternity get- together.)

MIRI - Gina I've thought long and hard about this. This isn't something I woke up this morning and decided to ask you. I mean, all through my pledge process, I have deeply considered this.

GINA - How deep could you have been thinking Miri? What about my grades? I'm supposed to be finishing up in May. And you want me to leave now?

MIRI - I did think of that, you can have your credits transferred and take your last few classes at the University of Cairo. You only have simple classes left anyway. That's what you told me. You said you purposely set yourself up for an easy last semester.

(silence)

MIRI - That's why I said to think about it before you answered. This isn't something you can answer right away. You have to put as much thought into this as I have.

GINA - But Miri...

MIRI - Listen. I'm sorry to cut you off, but when you think about this, don't think of all the reasons it can't work. Or it won't work. Think about me. Think about us. Think about us making it work. Think about me making you happy. That's what I thought of.

(silence)

GINA - I don't know anything about Africa.

MIRI - That's the beauty of it. We can learn...together.

(silence)

GINA - I don't know if I want to go, Miri.

MIRI - Do you want to be with me?

(MIRI grabs GINA's hand and GINA squeezes his hand back.)

GINA - Yes, I do.

(MIRI smiles.)

MIRI - Then, nothing else matters.

(MIRI looks up and he is approaching the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity house.)

MIRI - Wow, I guess time flies when you're talking about your future.

(GINA doesn't respond as they walk up the steps and inside. There are numerous visiting Phi Beta Sigma members, as well as all of MIRI's line brothers and prophytes.)

MIRI - Seth, you did a good job today Blue!

SETH - Thanks, frat! I try!

MIRI - Seth, this is Gina. Baby, this is my line brother, Seth.

GINA - Pleased to meet you. And congratulations!

SETH - Thanks! I've certainly heard a lot about you! All through line! This brother got some poetry for you girl! Ha ha ha!

(GINA smiles and tries to hide her concern about her and MIRI's conversation.)

HAYDEN - Brothers! Brothers!

(Everyone quiets down as HAYDEN takes the floor.)

HAYDEN - Now that the entire new line is here, we want to definitely recognize them for a job well done today and over their process.

(Everyone claps for the neos, who are all smiling.)

HAYDEN - This is their day and we are here to help them celebrate and to congratulate them. I think a great way to kick that off is for each one of them to come up and say a few words on what Sigma means to them. And when I say brief...I mean brief!

(Everyone laughs.)

HAYDEN - Now look, yall ain't Crescents no more so you don't have to come in line order! Ha ha ha ha!

(Everyone laughs and MIRI walks up.)

HAYDEN - How fitting, the poet is first. I said brief, Miri! Ha ha ha!

(MIRI laughs with everyone else as he takes the spot where HAYDEN was standing.)

CALVIN - Poetic Justice!

BRANDON - Hey Miri, make it rhyme! Ha ha ha!

(MIRI and everyone else laugh.)

MIRI - Hey Bran, shut up man. That ain't the plan. Understand?

(MIRI smiles as laughter erupts. It takes a full minute to calm everyone down.)

MIRI - My brothers, first I want to thank Hayden, Corey my dean, and all of the brothers for seeing the potential in me and putting me down to become a Sigma man. Thank you!

(MIRI throws the sign toward his prophytes.)

MIRI - Secondly, I want to thank my line brothers for sticking by me while I had issues. I know we had to have each other's back several times, and just know that you guys are loved and will always be in my thoughts and prayers. I love each and every one of you and...

(MIRI chokes up.)

AHMAD - Aww man, you better not cry!

(MIRI is happy to laugh because it takes his mind off of fighting tears. The tears subside and he continues.)

MIRI - Well basically I was stating all that because I have an announcement to make. To everyone here.

(Everyone is very quiet.)

MIRI - But to help me make my announcement, I would like for my girl Gina to come stand with me. Gina, where you at baby?

(Everyone looks around for GINA.)

(silence)

MIRI - Gina?

No comments: