Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 32

SEAN has gone to visit DR. MWATSUMI in his office and has found him with SAIFA. DR. MWATSUMI seems upset as SEAN walks in.

(SEAN walks into the office and sees DR. MWATSUMI sitting at his desk with
his head buried in his hands.)

SEAN - Hello...uh...Dr. Mwa...oh Saifa! What are you doing here?
SAIFA - Sean. How you feelin' man?
SEAN - I'm okay. I'd be feeling a lot better if your fraternity brothers decided to establish themselves here at Ahpla.

(SAIFA smiles.)

SAIFA - I respect your desire and your sense of urgency. That is exactly what the doctor and I were just discussing.
DR. MWATSUMI - Have a seat Sean.

(SEAN sits down.)

SAIFA - I was just talking to the doctor about some of the brother's Concerns, Sean. I'm glad you're here because I can tell you at the same time.
SEAN - Okay.
SAIFA - The brothers had concerns regarding the number of interested gentlemen
here at Ahpla, the status of the interested guys, and the amount of fraternal
work that could be done here as a result.
SEAN - I don't think I understand.
DR. MWATSUMI - Let me try and explain to you what they are saying Sean. As
they had an interest meeting on campus, only a few students attended. I
believe the number was 11 including myself.
SEAN - Yes sir, that's true. Isn't that enough?
DR. MWATSUMI - Well normally it would be I think. But of the 11 gentlemen, only you and I have followed up with the brotherhood regarding actively seeking membership.
SEAN - What? Are you serious? Only me and you?
SAIFA - Yeah. The other nine guys aren't really interested. They have fallen by the wayside. So when we look at the situation, we have only two serious candidates, one undergrad and one a professor. So the question became, how much work can the two of you do as a chapter in the name of Iota?
SEAN - A lot!
SAIFA - Come on Sean. You say that now but on the real, Dr. Mwatsumi is a professor. And no disrespect doctor, but he is older. There is much to do in the name of Iota. Being an Iota is harder than being in any other fraternity. They are already established. We are building a tradition. So not only do we have to contest with that, but we have our community to try and develop. We have a lot of community service to get done. And the brothers don't believe that the two of you can handle all that, in addition to starting a new
chapter.

(silence)

SAIFA - Listen guys, I gotta run. I will talk to the brothers at our meeting
that I'm going to. I will see if they have changed their minds at all.
SEAN - Okay.

(silence)

SAIFA - Look guys, you know I stand behind you two. I want you in the brotherhood. But it isn't necessarily my decision. I will do what I can. Just don't give up.
DR. MWATSUMI - I feel that I can speak for Sean as well as myself when I say
that we appreciate your words and your sentiment.
SEAN - Yeah, most definitely.
SAIFA - Okay, well, I will be in contact.
DR. MWATSUMI - Take care Saifa.
SEAN - See ya later.

(SAIFA shakes their hands and leaves SEAN in DR. MWATSUMI's office.)

SAIFA thinks - Man, that was sad. I really want to do something here at Ahpla
and I can tell that the two of them would be two good brothers. But gosh,
what are only two guys gonna do?

(SAIFA gets into his car to drive to the Iota meeting.)

SAIFA thinks - Maybe I can get the brothers to change their minds. I don't
know, they seemed pretty determined when they decided.

(As SAIFA leaves campus, he checks his watch.)

SAIFA - I'm running a little late; I didn't mean to stay in the doctor's office for so long. They're probably halfway through the meeting at this point! Well maybe we can discuss the Ahpla situation afterward.

(SAIFA drives another 10 minutes and arrives at the Iota Phi Theta meeting.
He rushes to get inside as the meeting has been in progress.)

RICHARD whispers - What's up man?

(SAIFA leans over to speak to RICHARD who is sitting next to where he just
sat down.)

SAIFA whispers - Hey Rich. What are we talking about?
RICHARD whispers - The scholarship fund. Why you coming in so late?
SAIFA whispers - I was over at Ahpla talking to the two guys.
RICHARD whispers - Oh okay. We're actually just about to talk about that, so
you're right on time.
SCOTT - Saifa...

(SAIFA turns his attention toward the front of the room.)

SCOTT - ...we're just about to discuss the situation at Ahpla. I know you
spoke to the doctor and we wanted to know what their reaction was to what you
said.

(SAIFA stands and walks to the front of the room.)

SAIFA - Hello brothers. First let me apologize for coming in late. I actually
just came from the doctor's office and I got a chance to speak to Sean as
well because he was there. They were obviously upset but I told them how the
brothers feel and I think they understand. It's just too difficult to make an
Iota impact with just one student and one professor.

(The brothers conclude the meeting and decide to go out to eat at Applebees.)

RICHARD - Saifa, I'm gonna ride with you. I didn't drive.
SAIFA - Cool.

(As the brothers walk outside the building, they stop immediately.)

SAIFA - What in the world...

(They look into the parking lot and it is lined with at least 50 young
boys.)

SCOTT - Who are all these boys? What are they doing here?
SAIFA - I don't know, but look!

(A school bus pulls up with SEAN riding on it and DR. MWATSUMI driving.)


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Phi Beta Sigma, the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta, and the Crescent
pledgees have all met at the hospital in BRANDON's room. BRANDON's twin
brother BRENDON is there as well. They are trying to help BRANDON gain his
memory back.




DENICE - It was senior year Brandon. You won prom king at Cass Tech high
school. See, this is you right here.

(DENICE pulls out another picture for BRANDON.)

DENICE - And this picture right here is from graduation. This is actually the
same day that your brother Brendon got accepted into Ahpla University.
Remember, we celebrated that day. Your family and mine over all of us
graduating, and then going to the same college.
BRANDON - This does actually look familiar.
BRENDON - It does? What about it?

(BRANDON picks up the picture and stares at it.)

BRANDON - I don't know. It just looks familiar.
BRENDON thinks - Dag!

(The doctor walks in.)

DOCTOR SHERROD - Hello everyone. How is he doing?
BRENDON - He is finding some things familiar, but that's about it.
DOCTOR SHERROD - That is a start though. It is good for you to stay with him.
All of you. The more contact he has with those who love and care about him,
the better.

(DENICE gets up and walks out of the room. SHARONDA follows her.)

DOCTOR SHERROD - I will be back in a little while to check on him.

(The doctor walks out.)

DOCTOR SHERROD - Are you ladies alright?

(DENICE is crying.)

SHARONDA - We'll be fine. Thank you.
DOCTOR SHERROD - Okay. I believe he will be fine. These things just take time.
SHARONDA - Thank you doctor.

(The doctor walks away.)

SHARONDA - You okay?
DENICE - No. I love him Sharonda. I always have.
SHARONDA - I know. Then this is what you are going to have to do!

(Inside the room.)

HAYDEN - We gotta find some way to help him remember.
BLUE TANG CLAN - I got something to help him remember!

(He pulls out his bag and starts to open it to take out a paddle.)

HAYDEN - Vic, chill out man.

(VICTOR puts his bag back down.)

HAYDEN - But that actually gives me an idea. Hey guys.

(HAYDEN turns to the Crescents.)

HAYDEN - Why don't you guys do a few greetings? Maybe that will help Brandon
snap his memory back.
COREY - Good idea, man.

(The Crescents look at one another, stand up and begin to line up.)

VICTOR - Y'all better have some intensity! This ain't time to relax you know.

(The Crescents move faster and line up.)

HAYDEN - Since your big sisters are here, why don't you do their greeting?

(SALEEMA and SHARONDA sit up. BRANDON watches.)

Crescents - Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.!
Where is there a finer woman than you?
Where is there a finer color than blue?
Tell me please what a Crescent gotta do!
Or whisper words that'll help us get through!
Greetings big sisters
of the blue and white!
I think of you all day,
and dream of you all night!
And what do I dream
when I shut my eyes tight?
That I can grow up to be a Sigma
with you standing on my right!
God blessed Big Brother A. Langston Taylor
for the great thing that he did!
God gave him thoughts and visions
so Big Brother suggested!
He asked your founders
to create a sister sib!
God smiled and created Zeta Phi Beta
by using a Sigma's rib!
And now you stand tall and perfect!
You walk with confidence!
You're already a diva,
and you don't have to be convinced!
You don't need poodles or elephants
or plants that cover the fence!
Because 1920 was the kitten's year!
There hasn't been a better year since!
Phi Beta Sigma men,
we wish we were!
But until then
we'll greet you until you purr!
And we'll forever protect our bond,
you can bet on that fo sho!
We wrote a song about it,
like to hear it? Here it go!
Big Sister Bluuuuue...got what we neeeeeeeeeed!
But we wanna be Sigma men!
And we can't wait until then!

(CRESCENT CALVIN starts to do the beat box and the Zetas start to laugh.)

Oh big sister Bluuuuue...got what we neeeeeeeeeed!
But we wanna be Sigma men!
And we can't wait until then!

(BRANDON starts to sing softly to himself.)

BRANDON - Big Sister Blue...got what we neeeed...but we wanna be...

(BRENDON looks at BRANDON singing.)

BRENDON - Oh my God! Do you remember this? Brandon, do you remember this
greeting?

(The Crescents stop and everyone turns quickly and looks at BRANDON.)

BRANDON - It sounds familiar. It's catchy.
BRENDON - Dag!

(SHARONDA and DENICE come back into the room.)

DENICE - Can everyone please leave? I need a few minutes alone with Brandon.


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

CHRISTIAN is in THERESA's room telling her about BREANNA and how she has been saying bad things about her.



CHRISTIAN - I'm not trying to persuade your thinking or anything...but that
girl Breanna had some really foul things to say about you.
THERESA - She did?

(CHRISTIAN smiles.)

CHRISTIAN - Let me tell you what she said!
THERESA - Do tell!
CHRISTIAN - Well first of all, she said that you don't know your history and
that you are slowing down her studying process. That obviously isn't true
because you just rattled off some Delta programs to me off the top of your
head.
THERESA - Uh...yeah. Right.
CHRISTIAN - And another thing: She said that you probably don't have the
heart or the fortitude to make it through pledging Delta.
THERESA - What!
CHRISTIAN - Hey, I'm just relaying a message.
THERESA - Well we'll see about that.
CHRISTIAN - Look Theresa, you are getting upset. You don't want to get upset.
When you get upset, you make unwise decisions.
THRESA - That's true. Because I am getting pissed and I am the wrong sister
to piss off!
CHRISTIAN - Calm down. The best way to handle something like this is not to
go after her and try to take her head off.
THERESA - You're right.
CHRISTIAN - The best thing to do is to befriend her. Be her friend and really
take time to get to know her. In the meantime, you can use her friendship
against her.
THERESA - Oh yeah? How?
CHRISTIAN - If you are friends with someone, especially if you are on line
with them, that person will share with you their innermost secrets, thoughts,
desires and passions.
THERESA - That's right! And once I know all that...
CHRISTIAN - You can do what you want.

(CHRISTIAN smiles.)

THERESA - I like your style Christian.
CHRISTIAN - And I like you too, Theresa. Now look, I don't want the sorors to
know that you and I spoke. I don't want them to think I am giving you
preferential treatment or anything okay?
THERESA - Oh certainly.
CHRISTIAN - So this visit is between me and you.
THERESA - What visit?
CHRISTIAN - That's what I'm talkin' about. I gotta go but I'll talk to you
later okay?
THERESA - Cool.

(CHRISTIAN turns to leave.)

THERESA - Oh and Christian, thanks.
CHRISTIAN - No sweat for a future soror!

(THERESA blushes as CHRISTIAN leaves.)

THERESA thinks - A future soror! Wow! Jason will be mine in no time! But
first...

(THERESA picks her phone up and dials.)

THERESA thinks - ...first things first.
BREANNA - Hello?

(CHRISTIAN walks down the hall.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Now that that seed is planted, that little situation will
cancel its own self out! Hee hee hee. Now on to bigger and better things.

(CHRISTIAN walks down to the shuttle bus stop to catch the bus back to her
dorm.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - When I get home, I have to start to map out my schedule for the girls. I'll have them getting me breakfast every day and then they
can get my clothes dry cleaned, and all washed out. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna
have the cleanest room on campus! Ha!

(The bus comes and CHRISTIAN gets on it.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I have to give it to myself this time. Chris, you are a
genius! Why take out Breanna myself when I can just as easily let Theresa do
it! Ha ha ha ha! I love it!

(CHRISTIAN gets off the bus and walks into her dorm.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - That way, I can keep my hands clean of the whole thing! I
can get Breanna off line, probably get her kicked out of Ahpla, and nobody
will know that I was behind it!

(She opens her door and plops down on the bed. She grabs her phone and calls
WILLIE.)

WILLIE - Hello.
CHRISTIAN - What's up? It's Chris.
WILLIE - Hey girl what's up?
CHRISTIAN - Nothin'. What you doing?
WILLIE - Just some reading. Nothing too heavy.
CHRISTIAN - Cool. I wanted to tell you that I am going to be working on the
schedule tonight for the pledge process. So if you wanted to come by and go
over it with me, that would be cool.
WILLIE - Oh that is a good idea! Because I want to see how you set it up.
CHRISTIAN - Okay. Well I'm home.
WILLIE - I'm on my way.

(They hang up and CHRISTIAN grabs her notebook and a pen. She turns her music
on as well.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I am a genius. I just sit back and relax, and watch the
drama unfold! If it's one thing that Mona always told me, keep your hands
clean at all times! Hee hee!

(CHRISTIAN starts to work on the schedule of the Delta Sigma Theta pledge
process for THERESA and BREANNA.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Ha! They're gonna hate each other by the time this is done!

(There is a knock on the door.)

CHRISTIAN - Come in Big Sister Willie! It's open! Ha ha ha!

(The door opens.)

ALEX - This ain't no big sister and this ain't Willie! But I understand you got
a thing about videotaping people huh?

No comments: