Thursday, January 3, 2008

Episode 38

PAULA is in her room taking a break from studying. Her telephone rings.


PAULA - Hello.
ROSALIND - Hey what's up?
PAULA - Hey! What you doin'?
ROSALIND - Chillin. What about you?
PAULA - Taking a study break. Got this English lit exam coming up.
ROSALIND - Yuck.
PAULA - Who you tellin'!

(They both laugh.)

ROSALIND - Hey, what you doing this weekend?
PAULA - I don't know. What's up?
ROSALIND - I'm tryin' to find out who's barbecuin' or something.
PAULA - Well when you find out, let me know! I'm down for that!
ROSALIND - No doubt.
PAULA - I'll ask Bobby what's going on too. Maybe the Alphas are doing
something.
ROSALIND - Speaking of him, how's that going with you two?

(PAULA smiles.)

PAULA - It's cool girl. Real cool.
ROSALIND - Oh yeah?
PAULA - Well, we're just taking our time, which is how I like it ya know? I mean, I dig him a lot no doubt. But I don't wanna rush into things.
ROSALIND - Girl shut up and stop lying! I know how you are! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(They both laugh.)

PAULA - What?
ROSALIND - Come on Paula, this is Ros you're talking to. Give me the real scoop.

(PAULA smiles.)

PAULA - I hate that y'all know me so well! All of y'all!
ROSALIND - Hey, that's how we do, soror. So spill it!
PAULA - Okay okay! Well...

(She pauses.)

PAULA - ...Bobby is wonderful, girl! He's funny, he looks good, and he is a good brother.
ROSALIND - Tell me more!
PAULA - I mean, he is truly like a breath of fresh air around here. Brothers around here all got the same lame game. Ya know?
ROSALIND - Ain't that the truth!
ROSALIND - But he is coming on some old mental tip. Ya know? He reads a lot so he is quick and witty. I like that in a person. Intelligence goes a long way.
ROSALIND - Shoot, being able to conjugate a sentence goes a long way nowadays!

(They both laugh.)

PAULA - When I saw him walking toward me that day in the hall, I was thinking that he was cute. But that's about it. Most cute guys don't have much to say.
ROSALIND - Uh huh.
PAULA - But he speaks well and he was interested in finding out about me. He said he had seen me before on campus. And I definitely had seen him too, but never really up close and personal.
ROSALIND - You saw him with his frat brothers?
PAULA - Yeah, I remember they were handing out fliers for something and I saw him. Come to find out, he is president of the chapter. So he is real serious about the community, too.
ROSALIND - That's cool!
PAULA - Yeah.
ROSALIND - He sounds so great, why hasn't anybody scooped him up yet?
PAULA - Well, he was honest with me and he told me that he has a son. A small baby too.
ROSALIND - What! Really? That may be some drama!
PAULA - Well not from what he is saying. The girl apparently doesn't want to be with him and is living with some other dude. She even takes care of the baby. He said that it was almost like a one-night stand and it was so ironic when she got pregnant because he doesn't sleep around like that.
ROSALIND - Oh he doesn't sleep around huh? So you haven't tested the
brother's...skills?

(silence)

PAULA - Well, I didn't say all that!
ROSALIND - What! How you gonna hold out and not tell me!
PAULA - I mean, I haven't spoken to you in like a week or so.
ROSALIND - You liar! Yes you have! Ooooh I am hot with you! So what's the dirt? Is he all that?
PAULA - Ros...
ROSALIND - Yeah!
PAULA - Ros!
ROSALIND - What Paula?
PAULA - That's all I got to say! Ros!

(ROSALIND laughs so loud that she drops the phone.)

PAULA - My world has been rocked!
ROSALIND - Oh my God! Ha ha ha ha! So what happened to taking it slow?
PAULA - Well, we aren't trying to rush into the relationship thing. Ya feel me? He mentioned taking things slow and I of course agreed to that. I ain't in no hurry, I'd rather take my time and make sure it's right.
ROSALIND - Sounds like a good plan.
PAULA - But I tell you what's a trip.
ROSALIND - What?
PAULA - You know how it is, as soon as you get somebody, brothers come all out the woodwork and try to holla.
ROSALIND - Oh yes! I know exactly how that is! Sheesh!
PAULA - Well let me tell you. Sometimes brothers don't wanna take no for an answer! I had to get in one dude's face!
ROSALIND - What? What happened? When was this?
PAULA - Girl, just the other day. I'm in the library reading...
ROSALIND - Uh huh.
PAULA - ...and I had my SGRho bag on the floor. So this dude notices my bag and comes over and speaks. So at first I was like, cool.
ROSALIND - Uh huh.
PAULA - But then he sits down and gets comfortable and starts to talk and holla. So I see what direction the conversation is going and I try to get back to studying.
ROSALIND - Uh huh.
PAULA - So then he asks me out. He wants to take me to dinner. I politely tell him that I can't because I am seeing somebody. Don't you know this dude tells me that he knows that I am seeing someone and he knows that I am seeing Bobby!
ROSALIND - What? How did he know?
PAULA - Who knows. But the better question is, why was he still trying to holla when he already knew that I was seeing someone and he knows the person that I am seeing?
ROSALIND - Yeah, that is crazy! Who was this guy?
PAULA - His name was uh...uh...

(silence)

PAULA - Ronnie!


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 2

The brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi are stepping on the yard to celebrate MIKE being a new brother. XAVIER's mind is elsewhere since he saw MIKE with DONNA. He messes up the step.


XAVIER thinks - I can't believe Mike is with Donna? When in the world did that happen? He has to know about me and Donna's history! He has to know what kind of girl she is!

(All the Kappas spin their canes high in the air, behind their back and
continue stepping with no mistakes. The crowd cheers again.)

XAVIER thinks - He can't know what she is about! Why would he want to be with someone that I was with...well almost with! She is probably just using him to make me jealous! She is something else! A modern day Delilah! She's a Bathsheba! She's a...

(The Kappas toss their canes. XAVIER hasn't been paying attention. He doesn't toss his, nor does he catch the one that was thrown at him. The beat is thrown off and the step fizzles to an end. MIKE stands there staring at XAVIER.)

XAVIER thinks - Man!
XAVIER - My bad my bad!

(XAVIER mocks apologizing to the crowd and most of the crowd laughs.)

MIKE thinks - What the heck man! We practiced this!

(XAVIER turns to the brothers.)

XAVIER - Nupes, y'all wanna try that again?
MIKE - Again?
XAVIER - Yeah man, let's just do that one over.
MIKE - We can't do it over, we just finished it!
GREGG - Calm down, Nupe. We can do it again. Let's just do it right.
XAVIER - Yeah, no big deal. Let's take it from the top.
MIKE thinks - No big deal? This is my day! Dag I'm pissed!

(The Kappas line up to do the step again. MIKE leans over to XAVIER who is
next to him in the front.)

MIKE whispers - Yo man, how you not gonna know the step?
SCOTT - Saifa, do you know the steps?

(The brothers of Iota Phi Theta are walking toward the front of the classroom
to step for DR. MWATSUMI and SEAN's young men.)

SEAN thinks - Wow!

(DR. MWATSUMI steps to the side of the room to give the Iotas room to step.
SEAN takes a seat among the young men.)

SAIFA - Yeah, I think I remember. Can we do funky step show? I remember that
one.
SCOTT - Cool.
RICHARD - Yeah, let's do that one.

(They line up in the front of the classroom. SCOTT makes the announcement to
the young men.)

SCOTT - Okay guys, we're gonna do a step for you. And maybe through this
great program...

(SCOTT looks over and smiles at DR. MWATSUMI.)

SCOTT - ...maybe we can even teach you guys a few steps.

(Everyone cheers.)

SCOTT - You brothers ready?
SAIFA - Ow ow!
RICHARD - Hook it up frat!
SCOTT - A funky funky...a funky step show!
IOTAS - A funky funky...a funky step show! Awwwwwwwwwww!

(They begin the step.)

IOTAS - This ain't no...thing but a funky...

(They spin around and clap.)

IOTAS - ...a funky step show!

(clap)

IOTAS - This ain't no...thing but a funky...
SEAN thinks - Wow!

IOTAS - ...a funky step show!

(The Iotas continue to step and the young men are happily looking on until
the step ends.)

SCOTT - Good job man!
RICHARD - Told you I step better than you! Ha ha ha ha!

MIKE - I think I step better than you!
XAVIER - Negro please! Ha ha ha ha!

(The Kappas just finished their last step and people are starting to approach to congratulate them.)

MIKE - Seriously though. You didn't seem like you were into it, man. What's
up? You always get your twirl on yo.
XAVIER - Oh it's nothing man.

(XAVIER looks at DONNA who is talking to GREGG. Someone else congratulates
MIKE.)

MIKE - Thanks man! Thanks a lot!

(MIKE turns back to XAVIER.)

MIKE - What's wrong Xavier?

(silence)

XAVIER - Mike, the thing is...

(XAVIER pauses.)

XAVIER - ...I don't know how to say this...
MIKE - Just spit it out Z. It's cool.
XAVIER - Okay, well...it's Donna. Are you dating her? I don't think you want
to get too involved with her Mike. You may not know what she's about but
she's...
MIKE - Wait wait, Xavier...

(XAVIER stops and MIKE becomes very serious.)

MIKE - ...are you jealous that I'm dating Donna?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

There is a knock on CHRISTIAN's door.


CHRISTIAN - Come in Big Sister Willie! It's open! Ha ha ha!

(The door opens.)

ALEX - This ain't no big sister and this ain't Willie! But I understand you got a thing about videotaping people huh?

(CHRISTIAN quickly turns around and stands up.)

CHRISTIAN - Alex!

(ALEX closes the door behind him.)

ALEX - Hello Christian.
CHRISTIAN thinks - Think fast rabbit!
CHRISTIAN - Hi baby...I missed you! Where you been? I've been blowing up your
cell phone!
ALEX - That's funny...

(ALEX takes his cell phone off of his hip.)

ALEX - ...this hasn't rung all day.
CHRISTIAN - Well anyway, I am so happy to see you.

(CHRISTIAN skips up to ALEX and throws her arms around him.)

ALEX - Get off me.
CHRISTIAN - What?
ALEX - Explain this!

(ALEX pulls the video tape out of his pocket.)

ALEX - Explain this Chris!

(CHRISTIAN shrugs.)

CHRISTIAN - What's that?
ALEX - What's this? Let me show you!

(ALEX walks over to CHRISTIAN's TV and puts the tape in the VCR.)

CHRISTIAN - So tell me again, exactly how did this whole thing happen Alex?
ALEX - I told you, I mean, I am not in love with Stacie.
CHRISTIAN - But why didn't you go to her and tell her? Then you two could
have split on amicable terms.
ALEX - Because she isn't hearing that. She just had two babies for Christ
sake.
CHRISTIAN - So you decide to get up on a student in the meantime? One of your
students at that? That makes a lot of sense.
ALEX - I don't want to talk about Breanna.
CHRISTIAN - Why not? Think I'll get jealous?

(ALEX stops the tape.)

ALEX - Explain it Chris.

(silence)

ALEX - Do you realize what something like this could do? Do you?

(ALEX slams his fist down on her desk causing all her books to crash down on
the floor.)

ALEX - Do you!
CHRISTIAN - I didn't mean to...
ALEX - This would become a national scandal! This would put Ahpla University in headlines! Nevermind what it would do to me! But so many people would lose their jobs! There would be an investigation for God sake! Did you think about that? Did you even consider the ramifications?

(silence)

CHRISTIAN - Alex...I...
ALEX - Shut up!

(CHRISTIAN quickly shuts up.)

ALEX - Chris, I confided in you. With everything. I did something with you that I never even did with my own wife. I gave you my whole heart.

(CHRISTIAN sits on her bed.)

ALEX - One of the only reasons that you and I hit it off the way that we did was because I saw you as so mature. You seemed so much older than your peers. That's what attracted me to you in the first place.

(ALEX seems to have calmed down as he explains to CHRISTIAN.)

ALEX - I thought you could handle the fact that I was married. Which is why I never made it a mystery to you. I was always honest with you. The only thing that you seemed to have a problem with...

(ALEX pauses.)

ALEX - ...was Delta.

(CHRISTIAN turns away.)

ALEX - The fact that Stacie is your soror was the only thing that bothered
you and the one thing that you could never get around. Your guilt eventually
got the best of you and we split.

(ALEX takes the video out of the VCR.)

ALEX - But since we split, I began to watch you, Christian. I watched you work and do what it is that you do. I have watched you scheme and set things up to get what you want.

(CHRISTIAN looks directly at ALEX.)

ALEX - And I know how you use your own emotions to help you. You want me to
feel sorry for you now. You're afraid of what I might try and do to hurt you
now. To get revenge for this little video tape scheme. Well I've come to find
out one thing Christian. There's only one way to hurt you.

(ALEX walks to the door and CHRISTIAN follows him with her eyes.)

ALEX - If I came in here and tore your place up and even hit you, you would
only come back at me worse. But there is one thing that you do cherish...one
thing that you do hold dear to you...so the only way for me to really hurt
you back, was to attack you at your most prized possession...

(ALEX pauses and grabs the door knob.)

ALEX - ...your most prized possession...Delta Sigma Theta!

(ALEX opens the door and STACIE is standing there.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Oh my God!
ALEX - Go ahead, Christian. Tell your soror Stacie about us!

No comments: