Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Episode 13

BUCK has come from the campus of Amgis College to Ahpla U. to have lunch with JUNE. He was talking with SEAN who left when JUNE arrived.

JUNE - Hey.

(BUCK smiles.)

BUCK - Hi June, wow you look great!

(JUNE smiles as she sits down.)

JUNE - You know that guy Sean? I think I have seen him around campus.
BUCK - Actually, I just met him. Weird guy.
JUNE - Oh.
BUCK - So what's up? How ya been?
JUNE - I am good. Got a new outlook on life in a new year.
BUCK - Well alright then. Good to hear.
JUNE - What's up with you?
BUCK - Little of this, little of that. Same stuff though.
JUNE - I see.
BUCK - I was happy to hear from you though. Very happy.

(JUNE smiles.)

BUCK - So let me ask you June. What warranted this call? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you called me and wanted to have lunch, but I am a little confused because I thought you hated me.
JUNE - I don't hate you Buck.
BUCK - I gave you reason to hate me though so I wouldn't be surprised if you did.
JUNE - Well, that's true. Teaming up with Mona was a major strike against you.
BUCK - Tell me about it!
JUNE - But you were honest when you told me about it and I appreciate that.
BUCK - Hey, honesty is the best policy.
JUNE - Yep.
BUCK - But I never knew that you were really feeling me that way. That is why
I am surprised that you called me back. And I was wondering...

(BUCK pauses.)

JUNE - Wondering what?
BUCK - ...well, I was wondering if the only reason you are calling me now is because Derrick is gone. Now that you can't have him, you want to see about me.
JUNE - Buck...

(BUCK looks JUNE deep in her eyes.)

JUNE - ...I was seeing about you before Derrick ever left.
BUCK - True.
JUNE - I didn't even care that y'all don't care for one another. I decided to check you back then, and I am deciding to check you now. But if you don't want to pursue anythi...
BUCK - Oh heck no, I ain't crazy. I would love to explore further friendships with you.

(They both laugh at how educated BUCK tried to sound.)

BUCK - Seriously June, the whole thing with you and me started off crazy with Mona, and me trying to get at Derrick when we played y'all in basketball. But I came to realize how special of a person you really are and regretted ever trying to use you for either of them, Derrick or Mona.
JUNE - I know.
BUCK - So if it is okay with you, I would like to just start over.
JUNE - That would be nice.
BUCK - But before we go there, there is one question I would like to ask.
JUNE - Sure.
BUCK - And answer me in all honesty.
JUNE - It's the best policy right?

(BUCK smiles.)

BUCK - If things were different and Derrick had asked you to go with him to the NBA, to Portland, would you have gone?

(JUNE pauses.)

JUNE thinks - Wow, how do I answer this?
JUNE - I'm not trying to drop my education for any man. I applaud Derrick on making it and achieving his dreams. But his dreams are his dreams and mine are mine.
BUCK - Uh huh.
JUNE - So no, I would not have left.
BUCK - I heard that! Well that's all I needed to know.
JUNE thinks - Wow, what a question. What an answer!
JUNE - You sure you are comfortable?
BUCK - Very sure.
JUNE - So we start over?
BUCK - We start over in five...four...

(BUCK is looking at his watch. JUNE laughs.)

JUNE - You are so silly.
BUCK - ...three...two...hi my name is Buck and I play basketball for Amgis College.
JUNE - Ewww, Amgis yuck. I go to Ahpla University.
BUCK - Oh, sorry to hear that.

(They both laugh.)

BUCK - Can I interest you in lunch at the twenty-four seven diner? It sits right between the two campuses.
JUNE - Oh, neutral territory.
BUCK - Indeed. Being up here on Ahpla's yard is making my skin itch. All this black and gold.
JUNE - Don't hate.

(They both laugh.)

BUCK - So we go to the twenty-four?
JUNE - Let's go.

(They stand up and put their coats on.)

JUNE - I haven't been to the diner in a while.
BUCK - Me neither.

(They leave and walk across campus toward the area where BUCK parked his car.)

JUNE - See look at this beautiful campus. All pretty. Don't you wish Amgis College was like this? Ha ha ha.
BUCK - Oh you wish Ahpla was as pretty as Amgis College. We put y'all to
shame! Ha ha ha.

(They leave through the campus gates and get to the campus parking lot.)

BUCK - I must admit though, y'all do have some nice cars up in this lot. Y'all got some bougie parents.

(JUNE laughs.)

BUCK - Oh my goodness, look at that ride!

(BUCK points at a brand new Mercedes Benz SUV that has just pulled into the parking lot.)

JUNE - Wow! That is hot!
BUCK - I have never even seen that model! That joint is tight!

(The truck comes to an abrupt stop right in front of BUCK and JUNE. They jump back a little. The tinted window slowly rolls down.)

CARYN - Hola June! How you doin' girl?!


:: NEW PAGE ::
SCENE 2

WILLIE has gone to visit ROBIN concerning Delta business. She finds out that ROBIN has the other interested young lady in her room.



ROBIN - I have the girl here that Breanna was telling us about. The one who wants to be a Delta. We are talking about her interest in the
sorority right now.
WILLIE - Really? You have her here?
ROBIN - Yep.
WILLIE - What's her name?
ROBIN - Come on in and see for yourself.
WILLIE - Cool!

(WILLIE follows ROBIN in the room. She tries to see who it is around ROBIN. ROBIN then steps out of the way.)

ROBIN - This is the young lady Breanna was telling us about.

(THERESA stands up and smiles.)

WILLIE - Theresa?
THERESA - Surprise!
ROBIN - I knew you would be surprised Willie! Look Theresa, she is speechless! Ha ha ha ha!

(WILLIE is staring with her mouth wide open.)

THERESA - Well? Say something.
WILLIE - Theresa...you never told me you were interested in my sorority. You always told me you hated on Greeks.
THERESA - I did...well, hated is such a bad word. I never hated on Greeks, I just misunderstood.

(THERESA innocently smiles. They all sit down.)

ROBIN - I've been talking with Theresa for a while now, Willie. Just getting to know a little bit about her and ...
WILLIE thinks - I can't believe this girl has an interest in Delta!
ROBIN - ...so I was letting her know the qualifications of...
WILLIE thinks - Since when did Theresa want to be Greek? Let alone a soror?
ROBIN - So what do you think? I mean, what do you have to say?

(silence)

ROBIN - Willie.
WILLIE - I'm sorry Robin. I am still kinda shocked about this whole thing.
THERESA - Why are you shocked? We're best friends and I have admired you and your sorority ever since you became a member. I looked up to you when it came to that and now I want to share that with you.

(THERESA smiles.)

WILLIE - Best friend? Theresa when was the last time you called me to say hello? When was the last time we even spoke to one another? Oh wait, I remember, we were fighting over Jason.
THERESA - Jason? Oh come now Willie, he is old news. I moved on from that situation a long time ago.
WILLIE - I bet.

(ROBIN is looking surprised as she listens.)

THERESA - Seriously Willie. I mean, I know we had a little falling out over that, but I wouldn't bring that into something as serious as this.
WILLIE - Mmm hmm.

(silence)

WILLIE - Why, Theresa? Tell me why you want to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta.

(THERESA loses her smile.)

THERESA - This is what I was expressing to Robin right before you came in. I had preconceived notions of members of Greek letter organizations. So one of the reasons I never considered membership myself is some of the reasons I thought to be true. I never personally knew anyone in an organization until you pledged Willie.

(WILLIE listens.)

THERESA - I only knew what I saw on television or what I saw on campus about Greek life. I remember the time when some frat guys got into a fight on campus over something stupid. And I remember sometimes the sororities bickering, like the Deltas and the AKAs. And I know that you and Sylvia didn't like one another.
WILLIE - Uh huh.
THERESA - So that is what shaped my mentality about the whole thing. But since we were friends before you crossed, we remained friends after and I got to really see more of what a sorority was about. I got to see firsthand your love for your organization and the hard work that you and your sisters put into it. I saw all the community service projects that y'all would perform in and around campus. And that is what interested me.
WILLIE - Why?
THERESA - Because that is why I joined student council in the first place. To help some people who were less fortunate than me. And the best thing about my working with student council is the fact that I was working with you. With you as president and me as vice, it ran real smooth. All the time. I loved it. Imagine us in the sorority the same way!

(THERESA smiles, WILLIE doesn't. ROBIN jumps in.)

ROBIN - Uh, it seems like you two have a serious history and some unresolved issues.
WILLIE - Yeah.
ROBIN - I think the best thing for now is for you two to sit down alone and talk some things out. Because it sounds as if y'all have issues that are much bigger than your interest in Delta, Theresa. Why don't you just call Willie, and set up a time when y'all can sit down and talk this whole thing out.
THERESA - That sounds like a great idea. Can I call you later on this evening Willie?
WILLIE - Sure, Theresa.
ROBIN - Okay then. Well Theresa it was nice talking to you. Give me a call after you meet with Willie.
THERESA - I sure will. Thank you so much for your time Robin, I appreciate it.

(THERESA grabs her coat and purse to leave.)

THERESA - Okay Willie girl, I will call you later on and set up that meeting.
WILLIE - You do that.

(THERESA ignores WILLIE's sarcasm and walks out smiling. ROBIN closes the door behind her.)

ROBIN - So what's on your mind, soror?
WILLIE - I don't know about this Robin. I am real skeptical.
ROBIN - Why do you think that way?
WILLIE - Theresa has never ever expressed an interest before. Never. So why
now? Why all of a sudden?
ROBIN - So you don't believe what she is saying?
WILLIE - I don't know. I am going to have to watch this situation closely and
let you know what I think about it.
ROBIN - Okay.
WILLIE - Also, I think that...

(THERESA is in the hall and has her ear against ROBIN's door and is listening
to ROBIN and WILLIE talk.)

THERESA thinks - Watch this situation closely huh? I'll give you something to
watch. Wait until I...
JASON - Theresa, what are you doing?


:: NEW PAGE ::


SCENE 3

CHRISTIAN is at home, ALEX is leaving.


(ALEX gets up and CHRISTIAN walks him to the door.)

ALEX - I'll call you after my class.
CHRISTIAN - Okay. Get some rest, you need it.
ALEX - Okay. Good night baby.
CHRISTIAN - Good night.

(CHRISTIAN closes the door and walks back to her computer smiling. She grabs her computer monitor and looks directly at the screen where she was reading.)

CHRISTIAN - Smile Alex, you're on candid camera! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(CHRISTIAN laughs as she hits a few keys on her keyboard and the camera
stops.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - This little piece of equipment is great! I wish I had this years ago!

(She goes to her VCR, which was recording the entire time that ALEX was there
through a camera attached to her computer monitor.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - This is classic! Classic!

(She rewinds the tape.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - You won't make a fool out of me anymore!

(CHRISTIAN thinks back to past conversations she has had with ALEX.)

ALEX - You're not going to tell her are you?
CHRISTIAN - No. I won't tell. But Alex, we have to stop this.
ALEX - I know. As a matter of fact, that is why I am here. I need to talk to
you.

(CHRISTIAN feels her heart start to beat.)

CHRISTIAN - Oh yeah? What's up?
ALEX - Look, first I wanted to say I am sorry for getting you mixed up in all
this.
CHRISTIAN - You already told me that. You are always sorry, Alex. Only
difference is this time you seem sorry before we have sex.
ALEX - Chris I am serious.
CHRISTIAN - So am I.

(silence)

ALEX - Anyway, this is the last time I will be coming to see you.

(silence)

ALEX - Christian, you just got finished saying that we have to end this. So why are you now looking at me like that? You know just as much as I do that this is wrong.

(silence)

ALEX - Say something Christian.
CHRISTIAN - My head says that this is wrong and I have to stop...

(ALEX approaches CHRISTIAN and holds her.)

ALEX - And your heart says otherwise. I know.
CHRISTIAN - No you don't know. Because you leave me and get to go home to someone else. Your wife, my soror. But I get to sleep here alone...again.

(ALEX lets go.)

ALEX - You're right Chris. That is why this is the best way. I need to step
away from this and never revisit it.
CHRISTIAN - I've heard that before.

(CHRISTIAN gets up and walks over to the window. She stares outside.)

ALEX - This time I am serious though. I have...reasons.

(CHRISTIAN turns around.)

CHRISTIAN - Reasons? What do you mean?

(ALEX pauses.)

ALEX - Stacie is pregnant.
CHRISTIAN - What?
ALEX - We're having a baby.

(The tape in the VCR finishes rewinding and the sound snaps CHRISTIAN out of her daydream. She presses play.)

CHRISTIAN - So how are you maintaining? A lot has happened.
ALEX - Yeah, a lot has. It has really been hard. Hard on me. I haven't seen the kids. Stace won't let me see them.
CHRISTIAN - Really?
ALEX - Not at all. She is really trippin'.
CHRISTIAN - Well don't you think you gave her good reason to flip out on you like that?
ALEX - I guess.
CHRISTIAN - You guess?
ALEX - Yeah, I guess so.
CHRISTIAN - Alex, you had the girl shooting a gun at you. If I didn't help you out and let you come over that night, you would've been arrested for indecent exposure! Luckily for you I was nice enough to let you in.

(CHRISTIAN presses stop.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - Good enough. Ha!

(CHRISTIAN rewinds the tape again as she grabs her coat and bookbag. She puts the videotape in her coat pocket and heads toward the administration building
on campus.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I'm sure administration will get a kick out of this!

(CHRISTIAN walks toward the shuttle bus toward campus.)

CHRISTIAN thinks - I hope the bus is there, it's kinda cold out...oh there it
is now!

(CHRISTIAN hurries and gets on the bus. She takes a seat toward the back as
the bus begins to fill with other students.)

ROSALIND - She has a lot going on with her boyfriend, and this other
guy...what did you say his name is?

CANDACE - Bobby. He is trifling girl. Nino used to always talk about him. Not
in a bad sense, but just what kind of brother he is.

ROSALIND - Yeah, Bobby. So maybe this is a bad time for Alexis to consider
pledging. What do you think?

(CANDACE, ROSALIND and the other ladies of Sigma Gamma Rho get on the bus and move toward the back as well.)

PAULA - I don't really know. I thought she was a real good candidate until just now.

CANDACE - Well, her first impression may have been a bad one. But give her another chance. I am really vouching for her now. Also, if you take into account...

CHRISTIAN - Oh Lord, not you! And the rest of the Sigma Gamma Whos!

(CANDACE looks at CHRISTIAN who is sitting down.)

CANDACE - Don't you ever disrespect my sisterhood, you wannabe!

(CHRISTIAN stands up.)

CHRISTIAN - Wanna be? Wanna be what?

CANDACE - You want to be Nino's girl!

CHRISTIAN - Oh whatever! I'd rather walk to campus then to ride with the likes of you!

(CHRISTIAN makes her way to the front before the bus pulls away and she gets off.)

CANDACE - I really really hate that girl. For real.

PAULA - What's her problem?

CANDACE - I don't know, but one day, I'm gonna solve it for her!

JENNIFER - I can tell you one problem that she has already.

CANDACE - What?

JENNIFER - She is missing her videotape. It fell out of her pocket when she jumped in your face.

No comments: